Forum › The End Of The World And A Witch's Love discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

"Sternenlichtl" One letter off, so close. Probably the Japanese raws that got it wrong, not the translators.

Most people seem to think of LWA while I was sorta reminded more of Harry Potter.
So they use German words, but most of the students have English names and some Japanese girl traveled all the way to the school in presumably Europe. Unless it takes place in Japan, which seems a bit unlikely for once.

I suppose they are going by the common Japanese rules that witches aren't treated as human and instead their own species. I have no idea why Japan loves this idea so much, but I guess Tolkien did it for wizards too, so it's common enough.
I find the idea that the witches are so openly planning their revenge, yet it was never once leaked to the outside, a bit confounding. While I personally don't see why they waited 300 years for a revenge if they already control all the countries in the world from the shadows, I'm not surprised that such a hereditary grudge exists. MC is here to solve it I guess.

The main pair is doing... fine? I feel like I've seen this dynamic countless times already and the final pages with the "Don't fall in love thing" where just a tiny bit forced. I mean she didn't show any positive interest in her before and while that life magic is pretty sweet I don't think it's quite enough to suddenly flip that. Maybe the magic has other side-effects like causing euphoria or something?

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 6:31AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Maybe the magic has other side-effects like causing euphoria or something?

It instantly makes everyone pregnant, it being life magic or somesuch.

(and "Lichtl" can be a diminutiv in some German dialects, although I don't know why they'd pick that up ...)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Maybe the magic has other side-effects like causing euphoria or something?

It instantly makes everyone pregnant, it being life magic or somesuch.

(and "Lichtl" can be a diminutiv in some German dialects, although I don't know why they'd pick that up ...)

Well that would explain how they reproduce without humans and don't fall in love. Just instant preggars. lol
Ah... Bavarian dialect, huh? I did hear of that before. I would be immensely surprised if this Japanese mangaka could honestly dig that deep. I would expect more something along the lines of "Lichtchen" then. Either way, not proper German, but close enough.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Not to mention that the Cafeteria name is in Italian so what give ?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Mensa? In this case, it's a Latin loan word, due to the academic language in Germany being Latin for centuries (well, obviously). It's a leftover from that time.

It's actually pretty solid research, since anywhere else it'd be called, well, "Cafeteria" or "Kantine" or somesuch.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

This looks pretty good.... that whole frog bit reminded me of the latest season of american horror story, that witch trapped in hell forever bringing the frog back to life and seeing it killed again.....

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Mensa? In this case, it's a Latin loan word, due to the academic language in Germany being Latin for centuries (well, obviously). It's a leftover from that time.

It's actually pretty solid research, since anywhere else it'd be called, well, "Cafeteria" or "Kantine" or somesuch.

In my defence, Mensa is also an italian word who mean Cafeteria so it's an easy mistake.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I've heard similar theories before. Mostly that branding wise women as witches and heretics is the catholic church's way of limiting women's power in society. although the part about it being a capitalist and nationalist sceme, is new to me.

Problem is that witch hunts were afaik more prominent in protestant societies. And they were never that big and bad. Yes women died but it was not like a Continent wide frenzy and plan to limit womens rights.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

How is groupie girl able to keep her powers then? Maybe she's not really in love but merely just infatuated? Or maybe she's already losing her powers. That would explain why she can't fly her broom.

The idea of love coming in many forms/variants is common in western philosophy and eventually got introduced to Japan in the early 1900s, so it would make sense if the "love" here refers to a specific form of love or the side effects of that form. Groupie girl is showing us a possessive/jealous form of love - obsession/infatuation/etc - which doesn't seem to be the kind that suppresses powers in this series, at least not yet.

I could see the loss of power being connected to sacrificial love, a kind often associated with parents being willing to throw themselves away to protect their children. That shows up frequently in spousal relationships too. If the problem is witches falling in love with ordinary people - or men, in any case - you could imagine a logical reasoning for their magical powers to vanish: Becoming ordinary allows them to live in ordinary society or raise non-witch children who won't be persecuted. If that's the case we're eventually going to see that all the teachers at the magic academy are either single or no longer witches, and that all the witches' parents are single or can't use magic anymore.

We'll see if the other lead actually loses her powers, and whether it's just because she can't stop viewing the Normal Person Lead as someone who can only be close with a non-witch. Magic being an issue of confidence or state of mind seems like something that's going to happen here since the ordinary lead failed to use magic in every situation before the end.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 8:33AM

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

This .. seems interesting..

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I've heard similar theories before. Mostly that branding wise women as witches and heretics is the catholic church's way of limiting women's power in society. although the part about it being a capitalist and nationalist sceme, is new to me.

Problem is that witch hunts were afaik more prominent in protestant societies. And they were never that big and bad. Yes women died but it was not like a Continent wide frenzy and plan to limit womens rights.

It wasn't a "scheme", either, pardon me if my original post sounded conspiratorial. According to those feminist scholars I cited, It's was rather a part of a larger process by which the European/Western society adapted to the new proto-capitalist realities of wage labor and work-home separation. There wasn't any plot behind it, just different people sharing the same values arriving at the idea that the best way to make society adopt this values was public violence. Unfortunately, this has happened many more times throughout history.

How is groupie girl able to keep her powers then? Maybe she's not really in love but merely just infatuated? Or maybe she's already losing her powers. That would explain why she can't fly her broom.

The idea of love coming in many forms/variants is common in western philosophy and eventually got introduced to Japan in the early 1900s, so it would make sense if the "love" here refers to a specific form of love or the side effects of that form. [snip]

Are you referring to the old Greek storge, philia, eros, and agape or to one of the later theories? Just curious.

joined Apr 20, 2013

Ohhhhh! Love witches, fantasy and yuri! Subscribed <3

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

This is great. Beautiful art and a promising story. So rare, thanks again sexy aikaba detectives, you pick up the best stuff! :D

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Wait a minute... If a witch loses her power when she falls in love and protagonist wants peace... Then all she needs to do is to harem the whole school, then POOF no more witches for future politicians!

In a more serious note, I made a long rant in the anime discussion about it but I WOULD HATE if the ultimate solution is to get ride of magic altogether. After all, magic is never the problem.

PS: Falling in love now has a clear indicator in this series, so if other girls are sub-texting in the hallways, as long as they continue using magic we'll know they're just galpals

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 10:25AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

In a more serious note, I made a long rant in the anime discussion about it but I WOULD HATE if the ultimate solution is to get ride of magic altogether. After all, magic is never the problem.

Seems unlikely, considering the MC also has magic that is portrayed as "kind" and "good". I bet the way magic and witches are used is the thing that will change.

__io_euclase_and_rosetta_granblue_fantasy_drawn_by_takishima_asaka__1d4a58edaca73c7fce39685c5353a2f6_crop
joined Dec 30, 2014

Cautiously interested in this, hope it doesn't turn into melodrama and successfully balances personal drama with the setting/plot.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I guess You're right. The guy who wrote the The Hammer of Witches in 1487, the book that laid out how to deal with witchcraft, was a discredited Catholic, but the inquisition condemned the book as unethical and illegal. Man the shit must have been rough to be condemned by the inquisition.
Besides I find the Rye fungus theory much more plausible.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 10:54AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

So witches control the politics of the world from the shadows?

Eh, whatever, why not. As far as conspiracy theories go, I've heard worse.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I could read this story without the yuri parts as well. Sign me the f up.
Also, Mari apparently is a witch too, don't know why they say she is a human in the description.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

So witches control the politics of the world from the shadows?

Eh, whatever, why not.

Oh, puh-leeze. Everyone knows it's the snakemen.

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

And this is when I fall in love with your mother kids

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 1:48PM

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

Ah... Bavarian dialect, huh? I did hear of that before. I would be immensely surprised if this Japanese mangaka could honestly dig that deep. I would expect more something along the lines of "Lichtchen" then. Either way, not proper German, but close enough.

In that case it’s spelled "Lichtlein", because the original term already contains a "ch" sound. (sounds better this way)

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

The transitions are a bit clunk -- especially the "don't fall in love" warning *rolls eyes* -- but it's too pretty to pass.

Maybe the girl having powers will subvert the "lose powers" thing. Of course doll girl is going to worry about it, but fortunately the other MC is blunt, a bit naive ignorant and free spirited -- she'll blow through Alice's inhibitions.

My favorite line:

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about being taught by someone who's only obeying orders, but...

Looking forward to the next installment. ^^

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

In that case it’s spelled "Lichtlein", because the original term already contains a "ch" sound. (sounds better this way)

I see, thanks for explaining it.
All of these are pretty much used to make something cuter or smaller though, so I feel like it's not a good fit for a school name. Let's just assume it was a mistake and close those files.

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

IM EXCITED FOR MORE!

To reply you must either login or sign up.