Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hmmm, I wasn't sure if I liked the ending with the anime, but I am sure I do now. I just finished this and wow, I can kinda see why some people didn't like it but...come on, what were the chances for an actual, conventional,happy ending for this couple? there's been murder,more murder,some more, a fire, not to mention the legal implications

I like how Shio got some Sato ,well some of her essence inside or something, I'd be more than willing to read about grown up Shio and see if she's fucked up or if she fares well. Which I highly doubt

joined Jul 26, 2019

Manga filled with psychopath who created an unhealthy atmosphere, and for that it was successful.
For the rest, a 5 year old girl decides not to come back to her family and manages to turn on her own? it's a fiction ok but well....
Sato really deserved her death, a happy ending would have been too beautiful for her

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

What a dumpster fire

Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

When the anime aired the ending, I hated it with all my being, wanting a happy end for the both of them. Now that some time has passed, I've come to realize that there WAS no happy ending for Sato because she's beyond saving once she crossed the line and became a murderer.

Agreed. Kinda like a greek tragedy in that she doomed herself with a single vile deed far more than just letting things be. It's all the more pathetic since a regular human being would have been able to see it coming whereas her psychopathy let her delude herself into thinking there was any chance of escape.

However that's only for Sato, Shio's story on the other hand still hasn't ended and since she received both the pureness of Sato's love and the bitterness that came from losing her, hopefully, she grows up and becomes a better version of Sato, one who's properly equipped to deal with this author's universe (because lets face it their universe is not the same as ours, its only made of suffering and filled with awful people) without resorting to anything drastic like Sato did.

Also hopefully she finds her own yuri partner and have a proper Happy Sugar Life with them

Sadly, I don't think she'll get that. I think the implication with that reincarnation bit is that Shio has inherited the same brokenness that made Sato what she was: a psychopath for whom empathy and love almost impossible(hence rejecting her brother the second time) and, more tragically, like Sato, does not even register her own mental state as being abnormal. Being such a young age when this transpires, abnormal mental state(i.e. lacking in empathy) will be her normal.
I think that anything resembling a normal relationship will be beyond both her ability and desire, with the mirror implying that Sato is, was, and always will be, the only relationship that shall ever have meaning for her. With Sato now dead, the memories that Shio has are the only thing remaining of Sato, and the only thing Shio will ever deem precious and are something that can never be taken away or lost as the are completely part of her.
i.e. Shio was the only thing Sato ever wanted, and now Shio will always have Sato and never be concerned with anything or anyone else.

last edited at Nov 11, 2019 10:50PM

Amimaidprofile
joined Mar 5, 2019

I think the implication with that reincarnation bit is that Shio has inherited the same brokenness that made Sato what she was: a psychopath for whom empathy and love almost impossible(hence rejecting her brother the second time) and, more tragically, like Sato, does not even register her own mental state as being abnormal. Being such a young age when this transpires, abnormal mental state(i.e. lacking in empathy) will be her normal.
I think that anything resembling a normal relationship will be beyond both her ability and desire, with the mirror implying that Sato is, was, and always will be, the only relationship that shall ever have meaning for her. With Sato now dead, the memories that Shio has are the only thing remaining of Sato, and the only thing Shio will ever deem precious and are completely part of her.

i honestly don't pick that up at all. Just because one is related by blood doesn't make it a healthy or loving connection. Asahi was broken by his experiences with his dad, and basically 'worshiped' an ideal life of him, his sister, and his mother, his sister attaining a similar purity to Taiyou's ideal of her. This is a big reason she says she is dirty to Taiyou; she's rejecting that role. So of course she rejects her brother. That's also why she sees a younger version of him clinging to the real him; he's basically slowly became another variant of their father.

While Sato did bad things, she really didn't do any of them in front of Shio. Even when Sato admitted to doing bad things, she still worked at protecting Shio. And Shio got a form of love and affection that Sato never learned. i see it as Shio taking the best parts of her relationship with Sato, and learning to live for herself, not to be an idol, or represent purity, or as a burden to others.

Swear ta gods, feels like i'm the only one seeing this from a survivor mindset, having been in similar situations (though not to the extremes of this manga).

last edited at Nov 11, 2019 10:53PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

i honestly don't pick that up at all. Just because one is related by blood doesn't make it a healthy or loving connection. Asahi was broken by his experiences with his dad, and basically 'worshiped' an ideal life of him, his sister, and his mother, his sister attaining a similar purity to Taiyou's ideal of her. This is a big reason she says she is dirty to Taiyou; she's rejecting that role. So of course she rejects her brother. That's also why she sees a younger version of him clinging to the real him; he's basically slowly became another variant of their father.

While Sato did bad things, she really didn't do any of them in front of Shio. Even when Sato admitted to doing bad things, she still worked at protecting Shio. And Shio got a form of love and affection that Sato never learned. i see it as Shio taking the best parts of her relationship with Sato, and learning to live for herself, not to be an idol, or represent purity, or as a burden to others.

Swear ta gods, feels like i'm the only one seeing this from a survivor mindset, having been in similar situations (though not to the extremes of this manga).

I think that seen as the author wrote the manga you can remove all kind of positivity and evolution for this poor girl... If we follow the guiding line of the story she will remain locked in her vision that she is now one with sato... she rejects any return to the past, her brother ,her mother and especially her unconditional love to sato.

joined Jun 8, 2019

Taiyou got fixed, how? well nvm, he got a happy ending of sorts

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Sorta happy but also kinda dark? Which is pretty much what I wanted from a series where everyone is awful. The strangest part was how much of the ending is vague and open to interpretation

I think the intent is that Shio's achieved self-actualization from this and is now able to avoid the toxic relationships that defined basically the entire rest of the cast. But my preferred reading is that Shio is now looking for another Sato and is just going to restart everything

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

In real life, a lot of people get away with murder and die of old age

i dead ass cried. I wish they could've had a nice ending TT_TT

29258430_1392194357551142_4140663135533006848_n
joined Apr 29, 2018

Wow... What a "Sad Salty Life"

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

So long as Shio is happy, I'm okay with it I guess. Although honestly I just really didn't like the brother, so the fact that she flat out turned him down makes me happy

last edited at Nov 12, 2019 1:37AM

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Now it's time for Shio to kidnap her own pink haired loli. I hope to never see a continuation of this series. It's good how it is. Also I'm very sorry for reading this for free.

Gay%20cum
joined Jul 16, 2013

Bittersweet ending is all they could have hoped for.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Honestly loved the ending. This manga really delivered on the dark psychological aspects. Bravo

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

Didn't expect that ending, but didn't expect anything else either.
I just wish Sato's friend was still alive, she didn't deserve that...

joined Jun 12, 2015

How did she survive that fall? Imposible.

joined May 24, 2014

Didn't expect that ending, but didn't expect anything else either.
I just wish Sato's friend was still alive, she didn't deserve that...

That's EXACTLY the point. Killing her was the point of no return. Besides, snitches get stiches XD!

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

How did she survive that fall? Imposible.

Yeah, she shouldn't have done. Having Sato "switch places" somehow during the fall to "cushion" her fall would've done nothing from that height. Terminal velocity and all that. But it's whatever.

The impression I got was that Shio essentially grew up to be like Sato, since she was already so damaged psychologically, and had adopted a belief that Sato's "love" was the only love that mattered and made it an important cornerstone of her own identity.. That final shot of her entering an apartment, while appearing to be roughly Sato's age, seems to indicate that history is repeating itself. At least that was my take on it.

joined May 31, 2015

@jaymiechan

but how did she survive tho?

Sato sacrificed herself. took all that kinetic energy and acted as a cushion for Shio.

Bitch(not hateful) no! That's not how physics work, they dead...

last edited at Nov 12, 2019 5:55AM

joined Nov 12, 2019

I am honestly and truly shocked that people read this story and were like wow I cant believe the pink haired girl and the loli cant be together forever! They were in a good and healthy relationship!

Like did ya'll forget the part where the pink haired chick MURDERED SOMEONE? Remember that part!? Would y'all really choose a murderer over a neglectful parent to raise a child? Wasn't there, at one point, bodies in the same house as the kid?

This story was a terrible, pretentious schlock with people never really making any rational decisions. Everything in this story had to add to the "spook" factor no matter how badly it threw off the plot. The only person who acted like a real person was the friend, but of course she has to die because every relevant character in this story is somehow a mentally deranged lunatic or a serial killer or an abuser.

This story was at best a 2/10. I'm glad its over.

joined Nov 12, 2019

I think the implication with that reincarnation bit is that Shio has inherited the same brokenness that made Sato what she was: a psychopath for whom empathy and love almost impossible(hence rejecting her brother the second time) and, more tragically, like Sato, does not even register her own mental state as being abnormal. Being such a young age when this transpires, abnormal mental state(i.e. lacking in empathy) will be her normal.
I think that anything resembling a normal relationship will be beyond both her ability and desire, with the mirror implying that Sato is, was, and always will be, the only relationship that shall ever have meaning for her. With Sato now dead, the memories that Shio has are the only thing remaining of Sato, and the only thing Shio will ever deem precious and are completely part of her.

Only in manga can the murderer protag get the pass of "well atleast she didn't mutilate people right in front of the loli". The writer should be ashamed.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Moral of the story: love can lead to bad decisions.

But nothing can stop it.

last edited at Nov 12, 2019 6:16AM

joined Apr 29, 2019

Doujin where the brother finishes the job and kills his sister when?

joined Aug 16, 2018

So it follows the anime ending huh....I expected but.....but! I'm still sad

To reply you must either login or sign up.