Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

joined Jun 12, 2019

I’m so confused but whatever they are in love

joined Jul 26, 2019

I hope not that the story will introduce the boy into the club and become a kind of confidant for konatsu and make us drag the evolution of their story too long... the rhythm is already slow enough as it is, we need a discussion between these 2 humans like any person who has the language...

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

I think the frustration is because Koyuki clearly has, or used to have, a massive crush on Konatsu.

And I think this is probably one of the biggest misunderstandings anyone has about this series. It's about loneliness, finding friends, and the massive anxiety of actually finding someone who wants to be your close friend but you don't really know for sure because it's a dumb question to ask and the possibility of being ridiculed in response is too terrifying and anyway people don't ask that sort of thing, right? You're supposed to ~know~

Back at the time they were just starting off as friends, there was a chapter when they want to some sort of cat island together and Koyuki got all nervous cause she saw their trip together as going on a date. You can't possibly give a heterosexual explanation for this.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

as a lesbian I absolutely agree that I prefer the yuri I read to be written by women. there are straight men who can write good yuri (in fact my absolute favorite lesbian romance story was written by two men) but it's also a fact that a lot of men who write/draw yuri do so for a male target audience, and there's that other subgroup of men who write/read stories about lesbians for fetishistic reasons...
It just feels better to me to read yuri written by girls, for girls, or even better, by lesbians, for lesbians.

(and inversely, all these same situations can occur when straight women write/read yaoi, of course.)

So.

Let me get this straight (pun intended).

You prefer your yuri based on the author's name and you prefer a lesbian author because that fact alone makes it better for you. Because no one lies on the internet or this business.

Talk about twisted.

My favorite yuri manga was created by a man and a woman, Ebisu-san and Hotei-san but I couldn't care less. If anything, the only moment I look for the author's names is to look up more from them.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While I try to stay out of the prediction business, in this case I’m thinking:

Originally I had assumed that the frog and the salamander story was just a kind of indirect parallel suggesting the themes of generalized loneliness and the desperation of mutual comforting. But that’s a pretty grim story with a very bleak ending, and the references to it have been very sustained, which makes me think that Koyuki and Konatsu are going to get to (if they aren’t presently at) a pretty dark place, relatively speaking.

Nevertheless, my impression still is that things will eventually turn out OK. The two of them just have too many benign supporters on their side for things to finally end up in a dire emotional place. My take at the moment, anyway.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Ebisu-san and Hotei-san

Splendid taste. I always go back to rereading this one every once in a while. Had no idea one of the authors was male though. I always automatically assume all yuri authors are female (silly me, I know)

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I never did say that it couldn't happen, only that in my experience it doesn't very often. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for more decent reading material. I'd love it if you posted some of your favs, to prove me wrong and expose me for the sexist man-hating nazi that I am and all that.

Your experience seems to be very, very limited. It is extremely rare for men to do yuri. You can check a list of my favorites I've been forging through the ages right beside my post count.

Some male yuri authors included in that list:

• Kishi Torajirou: Because Virgin's Empire is awesome. A huge, massive and awesome perv.
  • Ootomo Megane: A favorite of mine because we share a glasses fetish.
  • Higashiyama Shou: Prism, Stretch and Vampeerz. Mind you, this guy does loli hentai.
  • Suga Atsushi: Notes From The Garden Of Lilies.
  • TATSUBON: Because Tadokoro-san is great.
  • Nishio Yuhta: After Hours
  • Kurata Uso: Linkage
  • Isomoto Tsuyoshi: Girl's Ride
  • Heebee: Majyo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane
  • Yasuda Kousuke: Kusanagi-Sensei is Being Tested
  • Hattori Mitsuru: Concerto. (Another ecchi author)
  • Yoshitomi Akihito: Sisterism (My avatar is from that series)
  • Itou Ryou: Yamanko

Info taken from baka-updates not sure if accurate. I didn't know most of these were men. It is particularly surprising that Kurata Uso and Suga Atsushi are male. On the other hand I expected the authors from some ecchi series to be male and I was dead wrong.

More to the point, this is less about the quality of an author's work and more about the intent behind it. On what I've found to be a statistically rarer occasion that a woman writes a female character to be shallowly titillating and sexy, it is more often then not titillating and sexy as a woman would find it, which is personally more up my alley. Which, in turn, brings this back around to being a matter of personal opinion based upon my own experience.

Please elaborate about this intent thing. Because by your previous message and this one you're implying that men are tainting the genre just by writing and/or reading it.

Ad-hominem arguments are a bad look, nee-san. They erode your position by suggesting insecurity and an inability to properly defend your views.

No ad-hominem attack. You're a bigot, full stop. It is you who's putting down male authors just for being male. Just think how screwed up that would be if someone said that about female authors writing yaoi or anything not related to the kitchen and laundry. /s (I'm ashamed I actually had to put that)

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

i don't really have a dog in this race, but...

I never did say that it couldn't happen, only that in my experience it doesn't very often. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for more decent reading material. I'd love it if you posted some of your favs, to prove me wrong and expose me for the sexist man-hating nazi that I am and all that.

putting words in someone else's mouth, yikes. At least argue in good faith

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

EDIT: This was meant as a reply to a now-deleted post asking to try and explain why the characters feel so distant now.

I tried to in my posts over the last few pages. From how I see it, Konatsu is frustrated with herself for wanting to act against Koyuki's best interest and to keep the exclusive connection (initially based on their shared loneliness) she used to have with her and her only, despite the fact that it was Konatsu herself who pushed her towards opening up to other people. And she's also frustrated with Koyuki for not understanding where she's coming from since Koyuki thinks that other people will fill the void that her going away will leave inside Konatsu; it won't, and Konatsu's current feelings are telling her that only Koyuki's presence and attention can ease her loneliness.

As for Koyuki, she just seems to genuinely be incapable of analyzing the situation deeply enough due to her lack of social awareness and experience. She outright can't understand that Konatsu considers their connection special and that she'd think of her differently from how she'd think of any other friend she might make. This was evident from very early on, for instance when she told Konatsu there was no particular reason why she called out to her on the day she first came to school despite Konatsu wanting to hear her say she also considered their first meeting special.

If I had to fault one of the two over the other, it would have to be Konatsu. She's the one with the ability to start to try and sort things out by being straightforward, although she won't because she knows she's in the wrong.

last edited at Oct 27, 2019 8:18PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

To think that everything went terrible wrong the moment that Konatsu saw Koyuki and Kaede together (lol they all start with K) and suddenly realized that she liked Koyuki more than just a friend... But at the same time, if this wasn't triggered, graduation would come and then Konatsu might've realized too late and it would be tragic anyway

last edited at Oct 27, 2019 8:29PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'd push that moment back a bit to Christmas when Konatsu encouraged Koyuki to keep changing and that she'd defend her from anyone who might not appreciate the real her, that's when she unknowingly shot herself in the foot, so to speak. And she did end up doing the latter when she came to bail Koyuki out of the awkward situation she put herself in at the karaoke party, though Konatsu's motive for doing so had become a lot more selfish than her stated one.

I must say that re-reading the earlier parts under this new lens really puts some of them in a different perspective.

last edited at Oct 27, 2019 8:33PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Orestes, calling someone a bigot over this stuff is way out of bounds. Personal attacks seriously aren't cool.

On the other side of the coin, trying to convince someone they're wrong about their preference in fiction authors is kinda pointless too.

Aside from anything else, given that the topic is now emotionally charged and given that it's pretty off topic to begin with, it's time to call a stop to it right now. Attempts to get the last word will be deleted.

My thanks to the posters who have continued talking about the actual manga and wisely stayed out of the fray. Y'all are good 'uns.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

It's funny how Makoto-sensei states on her twitter (via bio) that this is a girls + friendship = girl ship story, I suppose "girl ships" are a thing in Japan?

last edited at Oct 27, 2019 9:31PM

My%20melody%20heart
joined Jul 5, 2018

EDIT: This was meant as a reply to a now-deleted post asking to try and explain why the characters feel so distant now.

I tried to in my posts over the last few pages. From how I see it, Konatsu is frustrated with herself for wanting to act against Koyuki's best interest and to keep the exclusive connection (initially based on their shared loneliness) she used to have with her and her only, despite the fact that it was Konatsu herself who pushed her towards opening up to other people. And she's also frustrated with Koyuki for not understanding where she's coming from since Koyuki thinks that other people will fill the void that her going away will leave inside Konatsu; it won't, and Konatsu's current feelings are telling her that only Koyuki's presence and attention can ease her loneliness.

As for Koyuki, she just seems to genuinely be incapable of analyzing the situation deeply enough due to her lack of social awareness and experience. She outright can't understand that Konatsu considers their connection special and that she'd think of her differently from how she'd think of any other friend she might make. This was evident from very early on, for instance when she told Konatsu there was no particular reason why she called out to her on the day she first came to school despite Konatsu wanting to hear her say she also considered their first meeting special.

If I had to fault one of the two over the other, it would have to be Konatsu. She's the one with the ability to start to try and sort things out by being straightforward, although she won't because she knows she's in the wrong.

Thank you soooooo much for replying, I deleted the post cus I thought it'd get ignored and bit lost. Now I get the tension between Konastu and Koyuki. I've read shoujo ai where characters just avoid eachother with simple reasons, but these girls feel so introspective in a way.

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

It's funny how Makoto-sensei states on her twitter (via bio) that this is a girls + friendship = girl ship story, I suppose "girl ships" are a thing in Japan?

I guess??
But the story doesn't felt like leading towards that way, it more like a full angst if all of this was because of mere friendship though it does happen in real life but not a common thing.

SoL stuff does match with friendship genre, but Drama with this kind of angst doesnt go together.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

I love Konatsu's facial expressions conveying distress about her relationship with the people around her. It's like I was being slapped by her loneliness and impending breakdown.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Went back to reread this from the beginning. Had to stop because my cheeks hurt from all the smiling. Yeah, they have some things to work out, but I love this pair.

I miss those times when this made me smile too, I hope the author can get back to that soon.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

It's funny how little Kaede's affection matters to Konatsu.

Rsz_uzfg
joined May 24, 2014

Can I just say that most of what happened over the last few chaps hit me in the feels a bit too hard for my liking? I just hope they'll resolve this in a way that both benefit.....

joined Jul 26, 2019

Don't forget that koyuki hides things from konatsu and preferred to confess to kaede even for something as important as going to tokyo to pursue his studies, while konatsu is her best friend...
She distanced herself from konatsu in an illogical way when she was only thinking of staying together and konatsu didn't have the courage to tell her to stop wanting to open up to others to the detriment of her. From this koyuki point of view was selfish without really realizing it.
So that finally konatsu makes a real gesture of anger and despair in front of her should make things happen... hopefully ^^
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch14#30
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch14#31
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch14#32
For me it seems obvious to me that she couldn't change her mind that much with just a few openings with other people... either koyuki lies to herself while forcing herself to appreciate these new friendships or there is a counter meaning to the story on the part of the author, you can't lose so much her deep feelings and want to move away like a coward of her best friend...

last edited at Oct 28, 2019 8:30AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don’t think that’s true at all. It seems to me that this whole chapter is about how, even though the good classmate friends will be together, they’ll have the friendly and sympathetic sensei for homeroom, and there will likely be others to join the aquarium club, none of that can replace the special connection with Koyuki that Konatsu longs for.

‘Cuz they gay.

joined Jul 26, 2019

I don’t think that’s true at all. It seems to me that this whole chapter is about how, even though the good classmate friends will be together, they’ll have the friendly and sympathetic sensei for homeroom, and there will likely be others to join the aquarium club, none of that can replace the special connection with Koyuki that Konatsu longs for.

‘Cuz they gay.

That's quite true, and as long as konatsu and koyuki don't definitely discuss their true feelings, konatsu won't turn the page and will not be able to enjoy or even accept other friendships.
I think it's really koyuki who has to make the effort for that, kaede helped well but rather interfered in reality on the special relationship of konastu and koyuki...
It's koyuki who wants to move and even go to Tokyo but acts like a coward to konastu, just wanting to prepare his departure and have peace of mind by leaving her "friends" and going through kaede (which is the classmate close to konatsu) to confess instead of konatsu.

last edited at Oct 28, 2019 12:12PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

The thing about Koyuki and Konatsu is that they are basically both introverts. I think we need to keep the role of Kaede, the extrovert, in mind in all of this, too. (Why are they all "K" names?) While it's true that Konatsu pushed Koyuki to open up, she sees Kaede as the one who actually got Koyuki to open up. She knows this is a good thing, but she also feels guilty or inadequate that she wasn't able to give Koyuki the kind of support she needed to open up. Konatsu has a bit of a sense of inferiority toward Kaede or unworthiness toward Koyuki at this point. She wanted to see herself as the frog, but now sees herself more as the salamander. And, since she never knew the "old" Koyuki, she can't appreciate her own role as the bridge that got others to first see Koyuki as someone who could be approached. Without Konatsu, it is doubtful that Kaede (or others) would ever have spoken to Koyuki.

Couldn't agree more with your point on lack of social awareness/experience. Not something that's going to get cured overnight, though. And a lot of these observations are things that are easier to see from the outside.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
I feel bad for Kaede since she got herself involved for the good of both of them but couldn't really achieve anything and even indirectly led Konatsu down the path she's on now. I hope things get sorted out for her sake too.

To reply you must either login or sign up.