Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

20191006_224132
joined Jun 25, 2019

Mannn... I never really comment, but I just wanna thank the translator and qc. Without you guys I wouldn't have found this wonderful story, your work is indeed validated. Like y'alls translations made this series even more popular than it already was, allowing people to discover it and if they knew about it, actually be able to read it and enjoy it, thank you.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Certainly didn't expect to see three chapters at once. Thanks, and also thanks for the good news about continuing to work on this.

Shima is still far from reciprocating Adachi's feelings or at least recognizing her own feelings as such, but there were some nice key moments in her thoughts that really showed how important Adachi has become to her, like Adachi would continue seeking my attention, and I would continue giving it to her. and And I’d love to see her happy [...].

The whole Valentine's date was, in addition to Shima being glad she actually got a chance to show Adachi the message, also very much Shima comparing it to her previous outing with Tarumi and confirming how much more the time spent with Adachi meant for her. In the end, while she herself may have hoped for more, even if just rekindling an old friendship, Tarumi ended up not as the rival we for a moment feared she could become, but rather a tool to highlight Adachi's importance to Shima.

Oh, but on the nitpicking side of things, last line of the last chapter has 'pedals' instead of 'petals'. ;)

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Thanks as always translators, sneikkimies and team

@ translator and qc, you do a great job and just know that I love you and I value you and I‘m happy you exist.

I just wanna thank the translator and qc.

Thank you. :)

Oh, but on the nitpicking side of things, last line of the last chapter has 'pedals' instead of 'petals'. ;)

Oops... frazzled brain was frazzled...

last edited at Oct 18, 2019 5:03PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

The kids are alright, IMO

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeah I'm surprisingly much less anti-Yashiro now that she mostly sticks to Shima's little sis. Which is doubly surprising as I am staunchly anti-kid in general.

E3b0ae88-e397-4841-ada6-f0d793de4c21
joined Nov 25, 2018

Now, a couple of words regarding the future of this project. I am going to keep working on it, and I do plan to finish the whole thing, despite the news. I tried to contact seven seas as soon as I heard about it to see if they'd let me work on the project for them, but unfortunately (or fortunately for you, I suppose) they weren't at all interested. Makes no sense to me, but I wasn't really expecting anything more. Still, I've invested way too much time into this to drop it, and so I'm just going to have to live with the knowledge all my work will eventually be invalidated. But hey, at least their release schedule is total nonsense so I got plenty of time before that. I'll also be working harder and faster to get as much out until the date hits.

Anyway, the next chapter should be ready right at the start of the next month.

You’re doin’ God’s work, sneik. From the bottom of my heart, I am truly grateful for the translations you’ve provided us with. It’s complete BS how long it’s going to take for SS to release the books, but I’m truly very happy to have you translate this series. It’s become one of my absolute favorite things to read as well as look forward to.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I'm surprisingly much less anti-Yashiro now that she mostly sticks to Shima's little sis. Which is doubly surprising as I am staunchly anti-kid in general.

I was mostly talking about Adachi and Shimamura themselves, lol, but you're not wrong either.

I feel like I've got a much better understanding of who Shimamura is now - not so much someone who's dealing with bad memories so much as she's someone who has ambivalent, complex feelings about her memories and how her relation to them changes as she naturally gets farther away from them and changes herself. It's charming.

I really can't wait until she and Adachi kiss

Thanks again to you and Sneik, I've grown very fond of this series and I wouldn't know about it all if not for y'all.

last edited at Oct 18, 2019 11:16PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I was mostly talking about Adachi and Shimamura themselves, lol, but you're not wrong either.

Oops again, lol...

I feel like I've got a much better understanding of who Shimamura is now - not so much someone who's dealing with bad memories so much as she's someone who has ambivalent, complex feelings about her memories and how her relation to them changes as she naturally gets farther away from them and changes herself. It's charming.

I really can't wait until she and Adachi kiss

Same. Adachi is gonna launch into orbit along with Yashiro.

Thanks again to you and Sneik, I've grown very fond of this series and I wouldn't know about it all if not for y'all.

Much appreciated. Though all I do is nitpick spelling and grammar, sneikkimies does all the hard stuff.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Adachi and Shimamura is really something. Usually I felt bored to read when I see what’s happening are all talks. But Adashima is kinda special, the more you delve in lots of texts the more you get intrigue and interested and want to know more about them and how they progressed. So far I really love Shimamura’s POV as much as I love Adachi’s. I'm actually in a later volume and reading slowly (since I don’t have a very neatly Japanese comprehension) So I’m thankful to all the people translating this. Reading it in an actual English is a big help and makes me realize what I failed to understand when I read the Jap version, lol. Thanks, Sneik and the team.

Thanks as always translators, sneikkimies and team, looking forward to Volume 4 ,5 onwards, with the most awaited telephone scene. I am getting so excited. Thanks again, truly appreciate it.

Please give me the details on this telephone scene. I must know.

for what I remembered, it was happened in Volume 5, when Adachi was hit of jealousy coz Shimamura was out in a festival with Tarumi, and Adachi called Shimamura, rumbling some words. And she did talked all those words repeatedly in that phone call. All in all, it’s an Adachi talking for how many pages in the book while Shima just listening. Lol. I personally find it annoying, and laughable but it also a bit creepy if I’m in Shima’s shoes.

I thought this LN was close to ending but they added more characters O_O

LN is still on-going and in vol 8 currently. Why did you thought it’s gonna end so soon, when the previous chap hasn’t really resolve anything? Did you really think, Valentines’s day is the peak of this story?

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 9:10AM

Bestgirl
joined Sep 1, 2019

Thanks as always translators, sneikkimies and team, looking forward to Volume 4 ,5 onwards, with the most awaited telephone scene. I am getting so excited. Thanks again, truly appreciate it.

Please give me the details on this telephone scene. I must know.

for what I remembered, it was happened in Volume 5, when Adachi was hit of jealousy coz Shimamura was out in a festival with Tarumi, and Adachi called Shimamura, rumbling some words. And she did talked all those words repeatedly in that phone call. All in all, it’s an Adachi talking for how many pages in the book while Shima just listening. Lol. I personally find it annoying, and laughable but it also a bit creepy if I’m in Shima’s shoes.

Yeah. Mostly Adachi's jealous rambling for 4 pages. She talks about how she's obsessed with Shimamura, how she doesn't want to be just normal friends with her. She wants to know who that other girl is and she doesn't want in no way be less important to Shimamura than this girl or anyone. It physically hurts her she says. She asks if Shimamura even thinks about her at all because herself can't help but only think about her, that she wants to know more about Shimamura, where she is, with who etc, that she's willing to change her behavior to match Shimamura's preference. And all Shimamura could say is mendou kusai na~

I only read the summary though. Cant wait to read the whole thing.

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 6:54AM

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

I, must, resist, clicking, the, blacked-out, lines

joined Oct 5, 2016

Big thanks for the awesome chapter dump, you guys are the best.

Regarding the books, god damn I was already bitching a little about Shimamura feeling just way too clueless, and now if anything she got even worse this volume! Like at least in previous volumes she had some lines which showed how she was very deep in denial, but this volume she just seemed straight-up clueless.

I guess if I'm being fair that's not entirely true, Shimamura's expending more effort now for Adachi's sake. Like when she's shopping for chocolate and her friend naturally assumes it must be for a boyfriend, or the message she posts, or the public hug when she obviously notices that everyone else around them is a hetero couple. But also goddamn it Shimamura, Adachi's running herself ragged obsessing over you and you barely even return her text messages!

I dunno, I think the series is best when its obstacles are more like the public pressure to conform and the girls' self-denial resulting from that, with the occasional splash of just horrible teenage awkwardness. It starts to drag a bit when it's just Adachi obsessing over an oblivious Shimamura.

joined Aug 19, 2019

Wow I can't believe Shimamura proposed to Adachi!

I could never get bored of reading vol 3 it's just so much fun. If the anime is gonna be one cour I really hope they'll stop at this volume.

Shimamura's chapter was filled with instances of her thinking about Adachi or crossing her mind, even when she was with Tarumi. If only she wasn't scared of embracing her feelings.

Ahhhhhh for me it's from volume 4 where Adashima becomes anxiety-inducing

Thank you sneikkimies for the surprise releases! I can't wait for volume 4

joined Aug 19, 2019

I, must, resist, clicking, the, blacked-out, lines

Yeah don't.. especially because it has misinterpretations/misinformation due to people reading summaries of that part.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Thank you for the update @ sneikkimies.

I most enjoyed chapter 3, Shimamura's POV. Her perspective offers a clearer view of what is going on around her, and the pacing is more pleasant for me.

Chapter four was cute ...and unexpected. I'm really curious about the V-day message. I recall her (Shimamura) being explicit in wanting Adachi to make friends, etc., but that signing up for a Valentine's day message to be displayed in public seems a bit of a jump. I wonder if I missed something, or if we're going to get any further insight. (I'm kind of thinking not since we're moving into a the next novel/stage.)

EDIT: Reading chapter three would help... *facepalm* *done*

I'm really taken with the contrasting scenarios in chapters three and four; how differently Shimamura experiences the train ride with Tarumi vs Adachi, running into the unnamed middle school friend versus Tarumi... I also find the questions we see Shimamura pose to herself pretty frank and honest. Many of them are mundane, every day things that we do not really think about anymore. (And maybe it's been a long time since I've read a novel that is a coming of age story.)

I'm not a fan of love triangles or lots of side characters, but this story could use an agent to catalyze change in Adachi and Shimamura's relationship. Adachi is incapable of advancing things (enough) on her own, and Shimamura is ambivalent (mostly). Shimamura's relatively acute awareness of Tarumi ...is interesting. We're seeing her generally put more effort into relationships and life.

What is up with the theme of "she's like a mother", "she's like a sister", "What if I were her dog?"...?? I realize that people growing up in places where homosexual relationships are not normalized wouldn't include "what if she were my girlfriend", but why not just "Is this what really close friends are like?" (since neither girl has many friends). Shimamura seems to have landed on this more normal option at times, but overall this seems like a cultural difference...or something else I just find kind of strange.

The final chapter felt mostly like filler. Didn't really learn anything new about Adachi -- just pages and pages of anxiety and a very small world: "myself" and Shimamura. The final scene however was a fitting way to end.

EDIT: One final thought: The part about the importance of the classroom and how the relationship would fall apart if they weren't in the same class hit hard. That's something I've thought a lot about after graduating and leaving school. You really can't overstate the convenience of people self-identifying their interests (at least in college) in being in the same class, club, etc. It was way easier to find people with whom you might have things in common in the "real" world in school.

Looking forward to the next installment.

P.S. I apologize for the book. I just really like this series.

grammar notes

Chapter 3:

It was there that I at last made ascertain what it was that I was meant to do.

I'm guessing "made ascertain" should be "ascertained". I also find it slightly less awkward sounding if you replace "there" with "then" ...and perhaps also "at last" with "finally..

Chapter 5:

There were way more bikes than normally.

"There were way more bikes than normal."

P.S. Thanks again sneikkimies.

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 4:52PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeah.... you can blame the typos and missed grammar on me. I am not a healthy person, so I had some stuff happen that caused me to get backed up with the chapters, so I went too fast once I was finally able to really put butt-to-chair. Rest assured though when stuff QC misses is brought up here it gets corrected eventually.

Img_20190418_023052-min
joined Mar 16, 2019

This volume only has 6 bonus meat shop pages compare to 20+ pages of last volume. Mildly disappointed :(.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

This was so great! Totally gonna forget half the things I want to say but first.

Thanks sneikkimies for translating this. You are doing a wonderful job.
Thanks also to shadesofgreymoon.

I actually really like Tarumi's part in this story. Actually resembles every date I've ever been on. cough I like what this encounter did for Shima as it seems like she has become expressive. Her giggling over repeating the event with Adachi was really funny.

Was half expecting some love triangle thing with Tarumi. It's rather common and I'd be lying if I said I'm not glad it didn't go that way. This time.

Adachi. Ah. That moment when you become a mental shut-in. Been mulling over that for myself a lot.

And Shima won the contest. I think the story only mentioned her noticing the secret letter portion of the show once? Neat how they sprang that on us during the "date."

and there was so much more I'm forgetting but will likely be thinking about as I await the next chapters.

The final scene was sweet.

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 8:17PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

Yeah I wanna add to the chorus of appreciation for what the story did with Tarumi. I was expecting at least a minor love triangle, but the way it made Shimamura reflect both on her own way of interacting with other people and how she feels about Adachi vs other people was really poignant, easily the best material the story's given her yet.

Caf17338-61fd-484a-9549-c799f3691222
joined May 29, 2011

I am so grateful for the folks gifting us with their translation talents and time for this. I was annoyingly happy for Adachi at the end. In my head, I was thinking "Damn, Adachi, you've got it SOOOO bad. Been there, kid. smh If this crashes and burns, I'm gonna cry for you." Adachi's quirks and how her world works are very relatable to me (sadly, I'm a bit similar to her which is most likely why I'm still single.) Shimamura makes me want to throttle her at times for being so clueless; what is so odd was that, Chapter 5 Shimamura felt like a completely different person. It was like, after what happened with Tarumi and that other old school chum, being with Adachi brought out this incredible lightness of being for Shima. I was with Adachi at being so confused by how she was acting (not that it was a bad thing per se just...perplexing?)

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I think the big change we saw in Shima comes from a bit of introspection after the trip to Nagoya with Tarumi, and then just the hilariousness of her "date" with Adachi following almost exactly the same pattern. Two trips to Nagoya and having to run for the train? Check. Overcrowded with only one seat in the corner? Check. Same chocolate store? Check. It was like her trip with Tarumi was simply an ironic practice run...

joined Oct 16, 2019

I think the big change we saw in Shima comes from a bit of introspection after the trip to Nagoya with Tarumi, and then just the hilariousness of her "date" with Adachi following almost exactly the same pattern. Two trips to Nagoya and having to run for the train? Check. Overcrowded with only one seat in the corner? Check. Same chocolate store? Check. It was like her trip with Tarumi was simply an ironic practice run...

I can‘t wait for „Shimamura just goes all giggly and cute and drives Adachi crazy with that behaviour“ animated haha

last edited at Oct 20, 2019 10:26AM

Zaimokuza%20ii
joined May 9, 2014

Hi, here just to say thanks, i mean, a whole lot bunches of thanks for translating this!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I do hope we see more of Tarumi, though. And would have even if she's turned out to be a more serious rival. Just because of how much effort it took Shima to call out to her at the end of their trip. Wouldn't want to see it go to waste.

joined Oct 16, 2019

I do hope we see more of Tarumi, though. And would have even if she's turned out to be a more serious rival. Just because of how much effort it took Shima to call out to her at the end of their trip. Wouldn't want to see it go to waste.

Same (Not because I want to see Adachi go jealous over her or anything, not at all ">.>)

To reply you must either login or sign up.