Forum › Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Hime is a he now? Am I reading this right? rip yuri

From what I can tell Hime is just uncomfortable being hit on by guys and upsetting Akira which apparently happens less when she dresses like a guy. I'm not sure it's really a healthy way to deal the anxiety caused by the opposite sex flirting with you and your friend being uncool about it, but to each their own.

Hime seems to be way too hung up about how others perceive her. Actually so does Akira for that matter.

last edited at Aug 20, 2019 1:40AM

Lilium
joined Aug 29, 2018

Whatever it is we can be sure the manga will repeatedly hammer it in the coming chapters, no need to worry.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Whatever it is we can be sure the manga will repeatedly hammer it in the coming chapters, no need to worry.

And ppl still won't understand it. That is the fundamental problem with the storytelling in this manga, it goes on and on and yet still can't seem to effectively communicate any thing its trying to say to the audience.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I don't think Hime identifies as male, I'm pretty sure this is just about how she wants to dress and who she wants to look attractive to.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I don't think Hime identifies as male, I'm pretty sure this is just about how she wants to dress and who she wants to look attractive to.

That's kinda my feeling. I think part of why this manga gets a lot of flak is that it is trying to show people grappling with their own identity and what they want to be and, equally importantly, be seen as. I think Hime is trying to figure it out, that's the point.

I feel like people complain that when it comes across straighforwardly it's "preachy" but when it tries to show any nuance they complain it's "confusing"? Seriously.

Be%20my%20baby%20square%20crop%20nana
joined Oct 28, 2014

so proud of hime... the stud jumped out

joined Jan 13, 2019

HELL YEAH LET'S MCFREAKIN LOSE IT

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

That's kinda my feeling. I think part of why this manga gets a lot of flak is that it is trying to show people grappling with their own identity and what they want to be and, equally importantly, be seen as. I think Hime is trying to figure it out, that's the point.

I feel like people complain that when it comes across straighforwardly it's "preachy" but when it tries to show any nuance they complain it's "confusing"? Seriously.

I'm trying to be better about pigeonholing other people's interpretations, but I do think the series seems to be doing it's best to reasonably reflect young people struggling with nuanced questions of identity, so It makes me a little sad to see so many people on here being harsh on it for whatever reason.

joined Jan 26, 2019

Usually the issue with discrimination stories where the minority character is a minor character there for the sake of the protagonist's story is that it is a way to center such stories away for the minority character and make the story about how wonderful the protagonist who is part of the majority is. The Green Book is a recentish example that was slammed for it.

This story appears to be going in the direction of the protagonist being inspired to think about what they are gender wise by their friend coming out as a woman. Starting to question their gender after someone they know comes out is a not that uncommon experience among gender queer people.

joined Nov 7, 2017

Hime! Bringing the androgyny game. Jes!

joined Oct 27, 2018

I'm trying to be better about pigeonholing other people's interpretations, but I do think the series seems to be doing it's best to reasonably reflect young people struggling with nuanced questions of identity, so It makes me a little sad to see so many people on here being harsh on it for whatever reason.

Personally. I appreciate what this manga is trying to do, I really do, and I enjoy Hime's new butch look, that said, I'd be lying if I said the writing wasn't seriously flawed. Even looking back at previous chapters, knowing what they where leading up to, Im still confused. Like the chapter where Hime talks to her parents, should be one of those chapters that you look back on and go "of course", but I just looked back on it, and I'm still confused what that chapter is trying to say. I'm, not even sure what it is, but there is something about the way this manga is told that I have difficulty following.

78519a80bda4a346c682b1a92a6a70883ccaf876ac706c027e9425ec84be03c5
joined Nov 28, 2017

She looks so cuuuuuute <3

joined Apr 26, 2016

The issue is that Akira in particular feels like a prop for Hime to grow rather than a full character. Like the amount of screen time she has got is so much lower.

last edited at Aug 20, 2019 4:33PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The issue is that Akira in particular feels like a prop for Hime to grow rather than a full character. Like the amount of screen time she has got is so much lower.

Well, Hime is the protagonist. I get why that might be a sore point for some people, but it has clearly been the plan from the beginning. I wouldn't say Akira's a prop, so much as she's a supporting character. The story so far seems to be about Hime sorting out her feelings for Akira, realizing that she's gay as it gets, and that loving Akira romantically doesn't mean denying her gender.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I'm not so worried about what's happening with Hime as some other people seem to be. To me it seems like she's realizing that she has the right to experiment with gender and there isn't only one way to do it.

joined Apr 26, 2016

Well, Hime is the protagonist. I get why that might be a sore point for some people, but it has clearly been the plan from the beginning. I wouldn't say Akira's a prop, so much as she's a supporting character. The story so far seems to be about Hime sorting out her feelings for Akira, realizing that she's gay as it gets, and that loving Akira romantically doesn't mean denying her gender.

Yeah but I got the impression they'd be costars think Tetsuou and Amano from Yuureitou (the former is trans and both get equal screen time)

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Personally. I appreciate what this manga is trying to do, I really do, and I enjoy Hime's new butch look, that said, I'd be lying if I said the writing wasn't seriously flawed. Even looking back at previous chapters, knowing what they where leading up to, Im still confused. Like the chapter where Hime talks to her parents, should be one of those chapters that you look back on and go "of course", but I just looked back on it, and I'm still confused what that chapter is trying to say. I'm, not even sure what it is, but there is something about the way this manga is told that I have difficulty following.

Right? Like that whole chapter is a monologue about something and I still am not sure what that something was. My issue is that the stances this manga preaches are often either tedious bullshit or extensive navel gazing with no clear point.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Right? Like that whole chapter is a monologue about something and I still am not sure what that something was. My issue is that the stances this manga preaches are often either tedious bullshit or extensive navel gazing with no clear point.

I don't think it's that complicated? She adopted the boys uniform to support Akira rather than because it was her own sense of identity. She isn't -really- comfortable in it, because she adopted it to support someone else rather than to express herself, but she also is afraid to abandon it, because she's still worried about Akira-chan. She was hiding it from her parents because she was afraid of what they'd say, but when they find out they make it clear they support her in what she wants to do, and think if she's not sure about something, she should try it out and see how it feels. (Her parents are actually pretty awesome.) She takes that to heart and decides to go back to the girl's uniform because, hey, if you aren't sure try it out and see how it feels.

Of course, as a result, she got attention she didn't want from a boy she has less than no interest in, and the girl she likes got hurt and pissed at her, so hey, okay, that sucked, time to try something different, which is when she shows up with the butch look. The sweater says "I'm not out to dress like a guy" but the pants and the haircut say "this isn't for you, boys."

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The leaps of logic in this manga baffle me.

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

welp
that backfired

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Oh fuck

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ok, now that was damn funny.

279d8674451d13234d06a7cba9e4f7e111
joined Jan 13, 2016

F hime

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I was half-expecting Boy Wonder to re-appear in women's uniform, but no dice.

To reply you must either login or sign up.