Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Anime tag. I can finally see it for the novel.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

try to get "not gf" gift
fail and get boomerang. it can stun enemies at least.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

And there we go, confirmation that Shima was indeed buying a present for Adachi as well. ^_^

Now I wonder whether she actually went with the boomerang or bought something else later, though. Hard to tell with her (and her sister's) reactions.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

BOO-MER-ANG

joined Jan 25, 2017

Mm, this one was a little insubstantial, tbqh. Glad next chapter's the actual date.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yeah, this chapter felt a little unnecessary. Kinda funny, but doesn't really tell us anything we couldn't already infer.

I am enjoying the sidecouples though.

Thanks again to our speedy translators!

last edited at Jul 22, 2019 9:37PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I scratched my head at the necessity of this particular plot-line too--I mean, a boomerang? How random--but I reckon it was meant just as a pairing from Shimamura's view to mirror the one we had just previous that was Adachi's. It solved the "mystery" of why Shima and Nagafuji ended up there together, since the previous chapter clearly set it up so that we the readers could tell that both Hino and Adachi were salty about their respective "best buds" being with other people, lol...... plus now we know Shima has a gift for Adachi, and Adachi is gonna go into "Overwhelmingly Excited Adachi-Inu" mode, which I personally am excited to read about next. :)

joined Jan 25, 2017

It feels like a chapter that flows much better when it's just one chapter (and a relatively short one at that) in a 5-7 chapter LN that you buy all at once rather than reading one chapter per week or two like we have to here, in all fairness.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

try to get "not gf" gift
fail and get boomerang. it can stun enemies at least.

Is that a TBOI reference?

Isn't it Zelda? It's in all the old games.

I hope the anime is a bit more accurate than the manga has been. Shimamura is actually a real shorty, isn't she? The moe level of the awkward tall girl x cool short girl is going to be through the roof.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Shimamura is actually a real shorty, isn't she?

I'm not sure if she's a real shorty or just "not tall". Adachi is supposed to have a pretty noticeable height difference compared to Shimamura, It's been mentioned several times in several chapters, right from the beginning. Hino is supposed to be super short and smol, and Nagafuji is supposed to be pretty tall too, though I'm not sure how she compares to Adachi in height.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Shimamura is actually a real shorty, isn't she?

I'm not sure if she's a real shorty or just "not tall". Adachi is supposed to have a pretty noticeable height difference compared to Shimamura, It's been mentioned several times in several chapters, right from the beginning. Hino is supposed to be super short and smol, and Nagafuji is supposed to be pretty tall too, though I'm not sure how she compares to Adachi in height.

I don't know how closely it matches the intent, but my mental image has always been:

Nagafuji - Big'N'Tall
Adachi - Bit Taller Than Average
Shimamura - Bit Shorter Than Average
Hino - Tiny Yappy Gremlin Child

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Last two chapters were super chill.

But f@#k I miss curry. The kind my mom use to make. It was so good. Never had time to find a place to sell me some.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I don't know how closely it matches the intent, but my mental image has always been:

Nagafuji - Big'N'Tall
Adachi - Bit Taller Than Average
Shimamura - Bit Shorter Than Average
Hino - Tiny Yappy Gremlin Child

That has been about my approximation too, though I pictured Adachi as taller than Nagafuj. And the Tiny Yappy Gremlin Child is Yashiro. ;) Hino is... Smol Bottomless Appetite to me, lol

joined Oct 5, 2016

I think Adachi is definitely only a little taller than average, cuz she never really thinks about height herself. It's Shimamura who's short, she's the one who's always dwelling on people's heights.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

"I also have another one that’s taller than me." pfff, I found this chapter pretty fun and cute, Shima looked adorable in that image with the bomerang ^^ certainly don't see anything wrong with it being here.
Thanks as always for the new chapter!

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Worrying about overthinking the gift-buying, asking Nagafuji because she just happened to be there, gifting the boomerang after Nagafuji got it because it's surprisingly fun and reminds her of her childhood. Yep, it's Shima time.

"It felt like Nagafuji might get the wrong idea if I told her that it was for Adachi, and I didn't really need that right now."

The fact that you're worried about people finding out about your plan to give a Christmas present to your friend, and then getting "the wrong idea", definitely makes me get "the wrong idea".

last edited at Jul 23, 2019 4:37PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

The fact that you're worried about people finding out about your plan to give a Christmas present to your friend, and then getting "the wrong idea", definitely makes me get "the wrong idea".

Isn't gifting someone outside of like family or very close friends on Christmas (aside from kids) typically kinda viewed as a more romance-y thing there? I don't mean exclusively romance-y, just, "stereotypical romance-y vibe" sorta thing? I know it's overplayed AF in most anime/manga, and obviously in this one we have Adachi who is clearly having a difficult time convincing herself that it's NOT weird for friends and it's NOT romantic, etc. But I'm not Japanese so I don't know the real truth of it.

All I know for sure is that it's pretty traditional to have fried chicken for dinner.

Which makes me wanna say that Adachi should just Leeroy Jenkins the whole thing, cuz worst case scenario, at least she'd have chicken. /horribly unfunny doubly nerdy joke

joined Oct 5, 2016

Isn't gifting someone outside of like family or very close friends on Christmas (aside from kids) typically kinda viewed as a more romance-y thing there? I don't mean exclusively romance-y, just, "stereotypical romance-y vibe" sorta thing? I know it's overplayed AF in most anime/manga, and obviously in this one we have Adachi who is clearly having a difficult time convincing herself that it's NOT weird for friends and it's NOT romantic, etc. But I'm not Japanese so I don't know the real truth of it.

All I know for sure is that it's pretty traditional to have fried chicken for dinner.

Which makes me wanna say that Adachi should just Leeroy Jenkins the whole thing, cuz worst case scenario, at least she'd have chicken. /horribly unfunny doubly nerdy joke

Yeah, between adults Christmas is seen as more of a couples holiday than anything else. Like Japan went in for the romantic Christmas songs and left out all the Jesus and family stuff. It's not like you -can't- go out with friends that day, but like, all the advertising is gonna be about romance and couples.

It is very Shimamura to be all, "Well, obviously we're just going as friends, nobody could possibly think otherwise, everyone knows friends can totally hang out on christmas, not a big deal... Also I better not tell anyone else."

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

This WILL be read by me but I'm too busy to sit down and enjoy this atm, still the best LN around.

Edit: Read it finally, loved it. 

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 4:02AM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

As I have been commenting to everyone in the world after this chapter: Adachi is such a precious little awkward cinnamon roll, fumbling and stumbling and falling off furniture because she's using most of her brainpower to focus on Shimamura.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Remember kids, always make sure you have consent before holding hands, don't rush, and make sure she's ready for it, otherwise it may hurt.

And Adachi is now fully out of her denial, she just can't quite bring herself to properly confess her feelings to Shima as well.

Oh, also, page 267 - there's something clearly wrong with this bit:

Each yawn caused me to shiver. bit slightly tired, I’d decided to give myself some time to properly wake up before the morning bath.

last edited at Aug 2, 2019 3:12PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And Adachi is now fully out of her denial, she just can't quite bring herself to properly confess her feelings to Shima as well.

Now she aim to be number 1 friend

Either way, the reaction Shima had for the handholding is realist but going to the point of asking her before is a bit overreact.

joined Jul 28, 2019

Just found the books and I am so in love.. Adachi is a younger me but so much more couragous!

A lot of thanks for the people translating the chapters, can't wait for the next one.

Moth%20rect
joined Jul 26, 2018

Oh, also, page 267 - there's something clearly wrong with this bit:

Each yawn caused me to shiver. bit slightly tired, I’d decided to give myself some time to properly wake up before the morning bath.

Oops, looks like I changed the wrong word. Should be "Feeling slightly tired---"

joined Jan 25, 2017

What she thought: "I love you"

What she said: "Let's be best friends."

We've all seen that one before.

Keep fighting, Adachi...

To reply you must either login or sign up.