Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

joined Oct 5, 2016

Shimamura just kind of casually describing her first ever crush on a girl and she doesn't even realize it.

Or well, she does sorta kinda realize it, or those memories wouldn't have left such an impression on her in the first place - nor would she connect it to Adachi, who otherwise has nothing to do with it - but she's definitely shying away from actually thinking any of it through.

Same with that Christmas date invitation by Adachi, Shimamura really obviously immediately jumps to thinking it's a date request, and is excited/scared about it, and then tries to justify it being No Homo with any other possible explanation. And then Adachi is all happy and Shumamura's just like NO BRAIN, DON'T THINK ABOUT WHY SHE'D BE SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS NO HOMO, NON-DATE ACTIVITY and also gosh look at her lips...

Yeah, I think this is a big chapter for explaining Shimamura's viewpoint. She's just scared.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 3:43PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

it really isn't actually one sided but Shimamura is going through it at a much slower pace.

It is one-sided. There is no hints that Shimamura feels anything remotely romantic for Adanchi at this point. I'm sure that will change. But right now it's 200% one-sided.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Adachi needs a kiss, Shimamura is scared of being needed for kissing, Hino and Nagafuji are scared of being more than kissing friends. Please help these children.

This looks like a job for Yuri Fairy!

Edit: or Ebichuman, for a more direct approach. :P

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 4:23PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Yeah, I think this is a big chapter for explaining Shimamura's viewpoint. She's just scared.

I'm not sure how the fact she's not enthused about the possibility of Adachi having a crush on her means she's just scared. It's equally possible and actually more likely she just doesn't want Adachi to put the moves on her because she doesn't feel the same way.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I'm not sure how the fact she's not enthused about the possibility of Adachi having a crush on her means she's just scared. It's equally possible and actually more likely she just doesn't want Adachi to put the moves on her because she doesn't feel the same way.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think she's just slow to come around and also terribly uneasy. Denial can be VERY powerful. I like the way the author is portraying that, because it feels realistic to me. (Same thing happened with me.)

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 4:30PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

^ It really doesn't look like denial to me. Yuu from Bloom Into You was in denial; you could tell because her thoughts and her actions where somewhat at odds. Shimamura seems more like she's just not interested.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 4:39PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That's because Shima seem to doesn't care about what other people think and maybe deosn'tn care about love too. She is also way too much dense, a lot of people could guess that Adachi is giga gay for Shima.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

doesn't care about love too

That seems more likely.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

To be fair, it's also more like Shima doesn't care about a lot of things

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

"Seeing her so incredibly delighted once again caused me to grow suspicious. No, stop. I shook those thoughts away."

She's totally doing her best to deny that Adachi might like her, and completely not prepared to deal with what that situation would entail. She's not been terribly overt about any sort of reciprocal stuff, but since Adachi is the one on her mind so much, and she has thoughts about playing with her lips and stuff, to me it's just her comin' round to the whole idea.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I remember she gave the thought way back https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/adachi_and_shimamura_ch04#19, i use the mange version because i don't have the patience to find it in the LN, but here Shima was already questionning if Adachi was into girls and what she will do if Adachi said she love her.

joined Jan 25, 2017

^ It really doesn't look like denial to me. Yuu from Bloom Into You was in denial; you could tell because her thoughts and her actions where somewhat at odds. Shimamura seems more like she's just not interested.

But Shimamura's thoughts and actions are at odds. If she wasn't at all interested in Adachi then there wouldn't be much stopping her from simply hanging out with her less and allowing that distance between them to quietly widen like she's spent a bunch of time thinking about with other people. It's not like Adachi's pursuing her that actively - look how hard it was for her to work up the courage just to ask her out. But Shimamura doesn't cut Adachi off at all. Adachi's too important to her. But she's scared of letting things escalate because she's afraid of having this turn into a relationship that actively asks things over, that she can't just engage with lazily and on her own terms and walk away from or forget about like she's allowed herself to do with everything else. So Shimamura cares about Adachi too much to simply rebuff her advances, but is too afraid of what might happen if things escalate to engage with that idea directly, so we get these long sequences of her inner narration of why This Thing We're Doing Is Totally Normal, Definitely Isn't That Other Thing It Kind Of Looks Like so that she can make it into something that's safe for both herself and Adachi.

...Or something. I think. Still early. We'll see how I feel in another chapter or two.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 5:40PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Well, she feel relieved that Adachi didn't yearn for her especially but just another person, probably she will have feel akward to say yes if Adachi was asking only for her.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

God this is sooooo good.
1. I love how everyone in the comments started using "Shima" without anyone batting an eye.
2. I'll have to agree more with shadesofgreymoon, since we seem to think the same way with Shima throwing those possible "gay Adachi" thoughts on the back burner of her mind. Also, a certain alien girl interrupted Shima's thoughts there and most importantly interrupted their hand holding.
3. OMG Nagahino wasn't just some tease, this ship has sailed for me and I expect great (gay) things from those two from now on.
4. Still an amazing job with the translating team on this series, a few mistakes here and there but still gold.

joined Jan 25, 2017

Well, she feel relieved that Adachi didn't yearn for her especially but just another person, probably she will have feel akward to say yes if Adachi was asking only for her.

That ties into what I was saying, tho. Shimamura cares about Adachi and wants to be there for her, but she's afraid of having to actually invest in Adachi in a way that constrains her own aimless, easygoing lifestyle. If Adachi wants to spend Christmas with "somebody" then that's easy for Shimamura because she can just decide to do it out of the goodness of her heart and not think anything more of it and it can be a one-off thing if she wants it to be. If Adachi wants to spend Christmas with Shimamura specifically, suddenly Shimamura has to start worrying about whether she has any more lasting obligations or commitments to Adachi - that's what I think she's afraid of.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 5:54PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Still an amazing job with the translating team on this series, a few mistakes here and there but still gold.

sneikkimies does all the translation. :)

That ties into what I was saying, tho. Shimamura cares about Adachi and wants to be there for her, but she's afraid of having to actually invest in Adachi in a way that constrains her own aimless, easygoing lifestyle. If Adachi wants to spend Christmas with "somebody" then that's easy for Shimamura because she can just decide to do it out of the goodness of her heart and not think anything more of it and it can be a one-off thing if she wants it to be. If Adachi wants to spend Christmas with Shimamura specifically, suddenly Shimamura has to start worrying about whether she has any more lasting obligations or commitments to Adachi - that's what I think she's afraid of.

And THAT all ties in to what I've said, lol. She's backpedaling HARD. And we've had several hints that the reason that she keeps her distance, in general, with all her relationships is because she's had some sort of falling out with friends or peers in the recent past. (Since her mother revealed that Shimamura stopped bringing friends home after she entered high school.)

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 5:59PM

Letys%20try%20this%20again
joined Mar 26, 2017

Shimamura seems less like she’s clueless/doesn’t reciprocate and more like she’s scared/in denial IMO

She's had some bad crap go down with friends or classmates in the past I think. That's why we've gotten little snippets of commentary that seem to point to that, why she's forced herself to pretty much avoid socializing with anyone to the point where she was skipping classes. So she's gotta work through cracking open that personal shell before she can work on opening that closet door.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. I can't wait for the flashback chapter. Maybe I should finally take duolingo seriously and I wouldn't have to wait.

TheYuriTomboy
4a8ddad2-e863-4cd8-bf4c-320b6caa080d
joined Sep 19, 2018

I feel like Shimamura just hit puberty and stopped being as social as she was before, rather than having some dramatic falling out with her friends. It just wouldn’t fit the mood of the story. Shima is definitely displaying some gayness towards Adachi though (pro tip: no straight girls thinks about playing with another girl’s lips), although she’s definitely so deep in denial and fear that it will take a while for her to come to terms with it (as some other comments confirm as well). I was pretty much the same way. Managed to convince myself for a while that I hated a girl, when I really just had a crush on her, and i was way too scared to admit when other girls liked me. I can really relate to Shima on pretty much all accounts, including her views on relationships and how they seem like burdens. To me, it seems she’s just scared of expectations and the burdens of being in any meaningful relationship, let alone one with a girl.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

it really isn't actually one sided but Shimamura is going through it at a much slower pace.

It is one-sided. There is no hints that Shimamura feels anything remotely romantic for Adanchi at this point. I'm sure that will change. But right now it's 200% one-sided.

I disagree, there's been many times through the LN and this chapter as well where it shows that Shima not only cares for Adachi more than she lets on, but also small moments and lines where it shows she may feel something else besides just friendship , only to backtrack on her own mind, get into denial mode and do many mental hoops just to make the situation seem like nothing special or that it's something "else". if there really wasn't anything at all there wouldn't be any need for half the thoughts she goes through when something with Adachi happens.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 10:58PM

joined Jan 25, 2017

I disagree, there's been many times through the LN and this chapter as well where it shows that Shima not only cares for Adachi more than she lets on, but also small moments and lines where it shows she may feel something else just friendship ,only to backtrack on her own mind, get into denial mode and do many mental hoops just to make the situation seem like nothing special or something "else", if there really's wan't anything at all there wouldn't be any need for half the thoughts she goes through when something with Adachi happens

Remember when she went into that sauna with a dumbass plan to try and get Adachi's mom to treat Adachi better? Remember how even she was like "oh god what am I doing this isn't like me oh man"? lol

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Remember when she went into that sauna with a dumbass plan to try and get Adachi's mom to treat Adachi better? Remember how even she was like "oh god what am I doing this isn't like me oh man"? lol

She's had quite a few moments like that! In this chapter it was "I'm not usually direct about stuff like this, buuuuttt I'm just gonna straight up ask Adachi WTF is up with her weirdness AND I am not going to let her escape".

joined Jan 25, 2017

Like, we can argue about whether her feelings are specifically romantic in nature or not yet all day, but for my money it's basically impossible to deny that Shimamura cares for Adachi in a way she doesn't - and takes a certain amount of effort not to - care for anyone else we've seen so far. The distinction between romantic and platonic affection is vague and kinda arbitrary anyway.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The distinction between romantic and platonic affection is vague and kinda arbitrary anyway.

It's because it's the first time Shima is so close to someone so she doesn't know how to act and doesn't seem to understand the affection of Adachi for her.

joined Oct 5, 2016

"Seeing her so incredibly delighted once again caused me to grow suspicious. No, stop. I shook those thoughts away."

She's totally doing her best to deny that Adachi might like her, and completely not prepared to deal with what that situation would entail. She's not been terribly overt about any sort of reciprocal stuff, but since Adachi is the one on her mind so much, and she has thoughts about playing with her lips and stuff, to me it's just her comin' round to the whole idea.

Yeah, Shimamura just seems like her denial is a lot stronger than Adachi. And shit, even Adachi is still kind of refusing to admit to herself that she's gay, even as she's asking a girl she likes out on a date. Shimamura's whole narrative is her immediately understanding how Adachi means the date request, getting nerves, and then desperately searching for some explanation for why it'd be no homo for her to accept a date with a girl. But also it never really occurs to her to turn Adachi down.

Like she's obviously nervous about their relationship getting more complicated, and then there's an undercurrent of gay self denial, where she's like struggling to contain her thoughts and contextualize things. She cuts off various too real lines of thought like 3 or 4 times, and she knows that the line about just wanting to go out with anybody on Christmas doesn't hold water, but she latches on to it as a reason why she can say yes without then having to like, redefine herself and her relationship with Adachi.

...Also, big yikes with the whole Mom walking in thing.

joined Oct 5, 2016

I guess I just don't like thinking of Shimamura as clueless or uninterested, since that's such an anime/manga cliche that exists only to draw things out longer.

Whereas with this series I feel like the writing is doing a good job of characterizing Shimamura as being in denial, and having reasons for it. She's not just an idiot.

To reply you must either login or sign up.