Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

i haven't watched the anime entirely but that bitch better not go back to the apartment just for that ring i refuse to accept that we're getting the anime ending i absolutely refuse

last edited at May 8, 2019 3:50AM

LesbianPirate
Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

Not gonna lie, I really don't see how anyone can truly hope for Satou and Shio to end up together alone somewhere. It's seriously the creepiest, most grotesque ending I could possibly imagine. I mean, I guess that's par for the course with the nature of the story, but good god Shio needs real help..

we don't got NO MORALS here all we want is LOVE TO PREVAIL

TheOGYuriQueen
joined Feb 25, 2019

I hated how invested I’ve been in this since the beginning, I also gotta ask, I haven’t watched the anime cause I want to finish the manga first, but is there any point in waiting?

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

If at this point isn't clear to you Shio is better with Satou than with anyone else, you need to read the story again.

You really think that? Let me rephrase the question: if this scenario played out in real life exactly as described, would you still feel that way?

But it didn't.
You can't tell reality from fiction?

Or are you merely using the fact that this is just a manga to rationalize it that way?

Merely???
Like, if someone writes a manga about a serial murderer you'd want the author tried for serial murder? Because the fact that it's only a fiction of paper and pixels is merely a detail with no relevance whatsoever?

Oh man, I got my answer to the question before. You really can't.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

There is an old rule in general discussion groups that, once someone makes a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler, the discussion is over and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. There is also a rule in groups devoted to discuss fictional works that, once someone decries certain points of a story on the grounds that in real life such points would be inappropriate or illicit or wrong, the discussion is over and whoever mentioned real life has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.

There are no guidelines for enjoying fantasy. Think of how many fictional works starring villains or antiheroes exist out there, that are extraordinarily successful because audiences love the shocks and thrills of the story. Think of how many videogames exist where you play the role of a bad guy or dark hero who struts around browbeating or robbing or slaughtering everyone he meets -- and gets away with it as long as he defeats all opposition. It's not anyone's business to judge or revile people who like such works. The things you do for the sake of harmless fun are your business alone, and only a fanatical fundie or a deranged zealot would try to mess with you for that.

I'll say it now, loud and clear: I hope Satou and Shio make their getaway and live happily ever after, and I hope anyone who gets in their way bites the dust and goes to hell. And if anyone wants to contend that such a development would be oh-so-wrong in real life, all I can say is: sorry, mate, you have just automatically lost the argument. There.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'll say it now, loud and clear: I hope Satou and Shio make their getaway and live happily ever after, and I hope anyone who gets in their way bites the dust and goes to hell. And if anyone wants to contend that such a development would be oh-so-wrong in real life, all I can say is: sorry, mate, you have just automatically lost the argument. There.

You're being reductive. One doesn't have to compare this story to real life to see that it would be a bad thing for Shio to end up growing up in a foreign country with Satou.

That being said, I do hope they make it.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

You're being reductive. One doesn't have to compare this story to real life to see that it would be a bad thing for Shio to end up growing up in a foreign country with Satou.

That being said, I do hope they make it.

It wouldn't be inherently bad, just bad based on morals, but morals aren't an objective measure. Shio would be fine.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

It wouldn't be inherently bad, just bad based on morals, but morals aren't an objective measure. Shio would be fine.

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with now guaranteed that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with now guaranteed that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

They can just live in a cabin in the middle of the woods with nobody bothering them, they don't need to met or speak with anyone after they're settled.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

They can just live in a cabin in the middle of the woods with nobody bothering them, they don't need to met or speak with anyone after they're settled.

So long as we're coming up with fantasies, why don't we just have them live on the moon?

Go big or go home.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

So long as we're coming up with fantasies

Big spoiler but I was referencing what they were visualizing in that montage when they were falling to their deaths in the anime isn't a fantasy but what they were planning to actually do

The manga still can go either way.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with no guarantee that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

When you bet to win, you risk to lose.
That's an universal law.
When you try to achieve something, there's always a risk of failure.
Things are never entirely under your control.
That's because, in life, there's always a risk of shit happening.

That's why it's kind of pointless to tell someone who's betting big in order to win big that they risk to lose. They already know. Instead, you should applaud their courage and cheer for them. After all, most people in the world tend to avoid risks whenever they can, even if that means wasting any chance they could have had to get the things they really want.

In this case, there are risks in living as illegal immigrants in a foreign country where they'll have to speak English, not Japanese. But it can be done. You say it'd be better to send Shio to an orphanage, but do you know orphanages have always been pedophile magnets? There's a real risk that Shio would end up in the newspapers as part of a story about children raped by their caretakers. In all honesty, I much prefer having her at Satou's side and knowing she will be well protected. Life out of Japan won't be easy, but I'm sure they can manage. After all, if a couple million fellas are living as illegal immigrants in the USA and doing just fine, hell, Satou and her sweetie can do it too.

So long as we're coming up with fantasies, why don't we just have them live on the moon?

Go big or go home.

That's the spirit!

joined May 24, 2014

Go big or go home.

That's the spirit!

Fly me to the moon ...

joined May 29, 2019

The thing is, it's been demonstrated that Satou is the only one who can take care of Shio. Asahi can't even take care of himself, let alone Shio, and Yuuna abandoned Shio because she realized that she couldn't take care of her either. Would Shio really be better off in a foster care system (which are always clusterfucks)?

Satou provides Shio with shelter, hot meals, baths, a bed and a roof over it, electricity, and not only that but also the genuine love and affection that Shio has been literally starving for her entire life. Satou is willing to work multiple awful jobs to do so, and does it without complaint (her only actual issue with the rapist manager was that she was docking her pay), and for someone who's also a high school student she's doing a damn good job. The fact of the matter is that Satou may have done evil things, but she not only makes Shio happy, but also takes care of her; if Satou had not found Shio, she would have been left to god-knows-what fate on the streets. What exactly is Asahi's plan if he were to reunite with Shio?

Also this is my first post after lurking for several years, hi

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

The thing is, it's been demonstrated that Satou is the only one who can take care of Shio. Asahi can't even take care of himself, let alone Shio, and Yuuna abandoned Shio because she realized that she couldn't take care of her either. Would Shio really be better off in a foster care system (which are always clusterfucks)?

Satou provides Shio with shelter, hot meals, baths, a bed and a roof over it, electricity, and not only that but also the genuine love and affection that Shio has been literally starving for her entire life. Satou is willing to work multiple awful jobs to do so, and does it without complaint (her only actual issue with the rapist manager was that she was docking her pay), and for someone who's also a high school student she's doing a damn good job. The fact of the matter is that Satou may have done evil things, but she not only makes Shio happy, but also takes care of her; if Satou had not found Shio, she would have been left to god-knows-what fate on the streets. What exactly is Asahi's plan if he were to reunite with Shio?

Welcome! Just so you know, I agree with you. You made a great job of summarizing the main plot points. I feel sorry for Asahi, but the road he's following leads to a dead end. Shio has already made a choice, she has chosen to follow her heart, and, frankly, it was the right choice: she will be better off with Satou in Hawaii or wherever it is they are going than in Tokyo with Asahi (what would they do, live under a bridge?).

joined May 29, 2019

Satou's and Shio's relationship is interesting, because while Satou's love for Shio is the reason why she does all these crazy things, it's also her one redeeming and humanizing quality. I feel like a lot of times love is placed on the axis of good vs evil, and this story is trying to divorce those concepts. Satou is probably a bad person, but she does both good and bad things for the sake of Shio.
I think that Satou makes a bad first impression, because at first she's colored as a yandere who's manipulating Shio for nefarious reasons, but it later turns out to be more complicated (just like it's hard to tell what exactly their weird nonsexual romantic mother-daughter surrogate thing their relationship truly is), and the initial idea that Satou kidnapped Shio turns out to be not quite true.
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but the thing about Shio is that she's a "prize" for several characters, something to be fought over and won. Satou needs her in order to feel actual love for someone, Asahi needs her to fix his broken family, and Mitsuboshi needs her to heal him emotionally (and satisfy his lolicon fantasies). But Shio is her own person with her own needs and emotions, not just some happiness dispenser. Satou is the only one who realizes this and who actually changes how she views Shio, and it serves to reinforce how Satou is the only person capable of truly taking care of Shio.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

she will be better off with Satou in Hawaii or wherever it is they are going than in Tokyo with Asahi (what would they do, live under a bridge?).

She wouldn't be with Asahi, she'd be with child protective services, since their mom is going to prison.

If Satou and Shio made it to Hawaii, they'd probably be captured and deported pretty soon. Well, Shio would be deported, Satou would be extradited.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Bless this comment!

joined Oct 10, 2016

Yes, we're so close!

I probably will cry at the end.

last edited at Jun 16, 2019 4:46AM

joined May 24, 2014

Ah, faraway so close!

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

<---- to be continued

joined May 24, 2014

It's the END OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!

Azu_nyan_nyan_nyan_gif_1_by_jaegirlsdeviant438-d7ednu6
joined Oct 8, 2016

So, will manga get different ending or not?

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

For a moment, Satou, for one brief moment I thought you'd follow your head after acknowledging that it'd be risky to go back to the apartments. Normally I'd be all for you follwing what your heart wants, but this was the one time you should have chosen brain over heart. Now you'll probablly have to die.

To reply you must either login or sign up.