Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

It wouldn't be inherently bad, just bad based on morals, but morals aren't an objective measure. Shio would be fine.

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with now guaranteed that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with now guaranteed that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

They can just live in a cabin in the middle of the woods with nobody bothering them, they don't need to met or speak with anyone after they're settled.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

They can just live in a cabin in the middle of the woods with nobody bothering them, they don't need to met or speak with anyone after they're settled.

So long as we're coming up with fantasies, why don't we just have them live on the moon?

Go big or go home.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

So long as we're coming up with fantasies

Big spoiler but I was referencing what they were visualizing in that montage when they were falling to their deaths in the anime isn't a fantasy but what they were planning to actually do

The manga still can go either way.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

No. It'd be an incredibly difficult life with no guarantee that it'd work out for them. Read what I wrote above if you want my reasoning. Basically, they're going to be illegal immigrants and fugitives hiding in a country where they don't know a single other person or speak the native language. Shio would be much better off in a Japanese orphanage.

When you bet to win, you risk to lose.
That's an universal law.
When you try to achieve something, there's always a risk of failure.
Things are never entirely under your control.
That's because, in life, there's always a risk of shit happening.

That's why it's kind of pointless to tell someone who's betting big in order to win big that they risk to lose. They already know. Instead, you should applaud their courage and cheer for them. After all, most people in the world tend to avoid risks whenever they can, even if that means wasting any chance they could have had to get the things they really want.

In this case, there are risks in living as illegal immigrants in a foreign country where they'll have to speak English, not Japanese. But it can be done. You say it'd be better to send Shio to an orphanage, but do you know orphanages have always been pedophile magnets? There's a real risk that Shio would end up in the newspapers as part of a story about children raped by their caretakers. In all honesty, I much prefer having her at Satou's side and knowing she will be well protected. Life out of Japan won't be easy, but I'm sure they can manage. After all, if a couple million fellas are living as illegal immigrants in the USA and doing just fine, hell, Satou and her sweetie can do it too.

So long as we're coming up with fantasies, why don't we just have them live on the moon?

Go big or go home.

That's the spirit!

joined May 24, 2014

Go big or go home.

That's the spirit!

Fly me to the moon ...

joined May 29, 2019

The thing is, it's been demonstrated that Satou is the only one who can take care of Shio. Asahi can't even take care of himself, let alone Shio, and Yuuna abandoned Shio because she realized that she couldn't take care of her either. Would Shio really be better off in a foster care system (which are always clusterfucks)?

Satou provides Shio with shelter, hot meals, baths, a bed and a roof over it, electricity, and not only that but also the genuine love and affection that Shio has been literally starving for her entire life. Satou is willing to work multiple awful jobs to do so, and does it without complaint (her only actual issue with the rapist manager was that she was docking her pay), and for someone who's also a high school student she's doing a damn good job. The fact of the matter is that Satou may have done evil things, but she not only makes Shio happy, but also takes care of her; if Satou had not found Shio, she would have been left to god-knows-what fate on the streets. What exactly is Asahi's plan if he were to reunite with Shio?

Also this is my first post after lurking for several years, hi

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

The thing is, it's been demonstrated that Satou is the only one who can take care of Shio. Asahi can't even take care of himself, let alone Shio, and Yuuna abandoned Shio because she realized that she couldn't take care of her either. Would Shio really be better off in a foster care system (which are always clusterfucks)?

Satou provides Shio with shelter, hot meals, baths, a bed and a roof over it, electricity, and not only that but also the genuine love and affection that Shio has been literally starving for her entire life. Satou is willing to work multiple awful jobs to do so, and does it without complaint (her only actual issue with the rapist manager was that she was docking her pay), and for someone who's also a high school student she's doing a damn good job. The fact of the matter is that Satou may have done evil things, but she not only makes Shio happy, but also takes care of her; if Satou had not found Shio, she would have been left to god-knows-what fate on the streets. What exactly is Asahi's plan if he were to reunite with Shio?

Welcome! Just so you know, I agree with you. You made a great job of summarizing the main plot points. I feel sorry for Asahi, but the road he's following leads to a dead end. Shio has already made a choice, she has chosen to follow her heart, and, frankly, it was the right choice: she will be better off with Satou in Hawaii or wherever it is they are going than in Tokyo with Asahi (what would they do, live under a bridge?).

joined May 29, 2019

Satou's and Shio's relationship is interesting, because while Satou's love for Shio is the reason why she does all these crazy things, it's also her one redeeming and humanizing quality. I feel like a lot of times love is placed on the axis of good vs evil, and this story is trying to divorce those concepts. Satou is probably a bad person, but she does both good and bad things for the sake of Shio.
I think that Satou makes a bad first impression, because at first she's colored as a yandere who's manipulating Shio for nefarious reasons, but it later turns out to be more complicated (just like it's hard to tell what exactly their weird nonsexual romantic mother-daughter surrogate thing their relationship truly is), and the initial idea that Satou kidnapped Shio turns out to be not quite true.
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but the thing about Shio is that she's a "prize" for several characters, something to be fought over and won. Satou needs her in order to feel actual love for someone, Asahi needs her to fix his broken family, and Mitsuboshi needs her to heal him emotionally (and satisfy his lolicon fantasies). But Shio is her own person with her own needs and emotions, not just some happiness dispenser. Satou is the only one who realizes this and who actually changes how she views Shio, and it serves to reinforce how Satou is the only person capable of truly taking care of Shio.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

she will be better off with Satou in Hawaii or wherever it is they are going than in Tokyo with Asahi (what would they do, live under a bridge?).

She wouldn't be with Asahi, she'd be with child protective services, since their mom is going to prison.

If Satou and Shio made it to Hawaii, they'd probably be captured and deported pretty soon. Well, Shio would be deported, Satou would be extradited.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Bless this comment!

joined Oct 10, 2016

Yes, we're so close!

I probably will cry at the end.

last edited at Jun 16, 2019 4:46AM

joined May 24, 2014

Ah, faraway so close!

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

<---- to be continued

joined May 24, 2014

It's the END OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!

Azu_nyan_nyan_nyan_gif_1_by_jaegirlsdeviant438-d7ednu6
joined Oct 8, 2016

So, will manga get different ending or not?

!vanitas-emote-05
joined Jul 19, 2014

For a moment, Satou, for one brief moment I thought you'd follow your head after acknowledging that it'd be risky to go back to the apartments. Normally I'd be all for you follwing what your heart wants, but this was the one time you should have chosen brain over heart. Now you'll probablly have to die.

Nana8
joined Jul 27, 2018

I don't think different ending is waiting for them, result probably will be the same like anime

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Shait's about to go down!!!11

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joined Jun 17, 2018

I think even if they hadn't returned to their apartment for the ring, they still would have failed in escaping. I really cannot believe that amateurish fake passports made by an unexperienced kid like Satou will be able to pass Japanese Immigration. Modern passports are biometric ones. Even high-quality fake passports made by criminal gangs have been caught out by Biometric Identification.

And even if they miraculously pass the Immigration and succeed in fleeing from Japan, the outside world will be too cruel for 2 Jap kids. Their situation can be worse and worse until Satou have to whore herself to earn their living which surely is not Happy Sugar (& Salt) Life anymore.

Azu_nyan_nyan_nyan_gif_1_by_jaegirlsdeviant438-d7ednu6
joined Oct 8, 2016

I don't think different ending is waiting for them, result probably will be the same like anime

Eh, you killed the last ray of hope in me(

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

heir situation can be worse and worse until Satou have to whore herself to earn their living which surely is not Happy Sugar (& Salt) Life anymore.

she was literally already doing that prior to meeting shio

joined Jun 12, 2019

Idk if I liked the anime ending so I’m kinda hoping this ending will be different. If it isn’t that’s fine too

To reply you must either login or sign up.