Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Finally.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

runrin posted:

That was well done. Kuddos.

nya-chan's approval?? it must be good! :P

Yagakimi is not groundbreaking, but it's kind of a masterpiece of classical art nonetheless, if you get my meaning.

The author mastered their craft to near perfection. If I must use the cooking metaphor, Yagakimi is a wholesome home-cooked meal you can't go wrong with and that leaves you satisfied. Nothing fancy, but it's just the one you needed.

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

runrin posted:

That was well done. Kuddos.

nya-chan's approval?? it must be good! :P

Yagakimi is not groundbreaking, but it's kind of a masterpiece of classical art nonetheless, if you get my meaning.

The author mastered their craft to near perfection. If I must use the cooking metaphor, Yagakimi is a wholesome home-cooked meal you can't go wrong with and that leaves you satisfied. Nothing fancy, but it's just the one you needed.

I disagree on that one. I've always felt that Yagakimi was unique for many reasons. One, the MC doesn't start out head over heals for the heroine. Two, it isn't overly dramatic the whole time, like most other romance stories, so even little things have a much bigger effect on the viewer.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"the MC doesn't start out head over heals for the heroine"

How is that unique? There are plenty of romance manga where the characters gradually fall in love, like here. The only originality I can think of it that Yuu is, at first, vaguely ARO. The rest of the manga is rather normal. The lack of real drama isn't special either. Take Prunus Girl, a series of similar length: there's no real drama.

So, no, I don't think Yakakimi has a bigger impact than other manga. It's a good wholesome manga. I liked it and this chapter was really well done and sweet.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Emphasis on her feet lifting off the ground, anyone?

I believe it implies that Yuu is finally the one who initiates the kiss

She initiated the kiss for the first time when she confessed, though.

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

Could be just a little nod to Nanami's earlier comment about Yuu's height. And I agree, it is adorable.

Also YAAAAAASSSSSSS!

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

All resolve rather quickly. I’m a little unsatisfied with Touko, but happy for Yuu.
And, yeah, this manga is not unique (I don’t know what can be unique about romance nowadays), it’s rather well done. And the “well done” part is rarity.

joined May 7, 2015

I really am happy to see this resolution! I think it’s my first time seeing Yuu crying, and that being first time conveys a whole lot of emotional strength.

I’d like to see one chapter full of lovey dovey moments. Those two were the most realistic and lovely couple I’ve ever seen in this genre of manga.

Anyway, congratulations, Yuu and Touko!

joined Jan 6, 2017

Page 16 is so great. The reflection is the start of the series, and now they've switched places (with Touko wanting love and Yuu being afraid of it).
I love this manga

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

MY GOD FINALLY YES HOLY SHIT EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ONLY A FEW PAGES I LOVE IT THANK YOU

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

No surprise, but it was beautifully done. TTvTT You can feel the weight flying off Yuu's chest in that splash page.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Page 16 is so great. The reflection is the start of the series, and now they've switched places (with Touko wanting love and Yuu being afraid of it).
I love this manga

The series been especially notable for effective use of staging and, to use the technical term, mise en scene. Here, as you note, the reflection is an image of their first emotional encounter, then Touko erases that by closing the curtain (also blocking out any potentially lurking nocturnal Makis out there lol), at which point the top right panel on p. 18 recalls the stage with curtain that was the catalyst for Touko’s change—an event which is actually (a big part of) the answer to Yuu’s question, “Why [do you still love me when I’ve changed from being the person you fell in love with?]”

That is, Touko explicitly doesn’t say that she loves Yuu because she has helped Touko change for the better, but she praises the quality of her willingness to leap in to help others—her love (in this regard) is not a function of her gratitude for what Yuu has done for her but her admiration for Yuu’s ability to do it.

For me, Touko’s speech here completely redeems her from the darker, more selfish overtones of her original “love” for Yuu—she’s still her own confident self but also willing to be vulnerable in the very way her whole “don’t love me” shtick was expressly designed to avoid.

runrin Staff
Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Could be just a little nod to Nanami's earlier comment about Yuu's height. And I agree, it is adorable.

Also YAAAAAASSSSSSS!

in the first chapter yuu is talking about finding love and starting to float. maybe this is a reference to that? she is realizing she won't float without putting in effort herself, so she has to lift herself up to find love. it's details like this that shows just how great an author nakatani nio is.

reference:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bloom_into_you_ch01#34

last edited at May 2, 2019 9:55AM

joined Dec 4, 2017

YASSSS!! Finally Yuu and Touko found the courage to be honest with themself... im so happy ty so much author for this wonderful manga

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yuu has never cried about anything in the story and apparently not even when she should have in the past either (like losing in the Softball matches). Thanks to being not emotionally invested enough in things she just does out of obligation or to help someone.
So if Yuu cries (for good or bad) because of her current situation with Touko, that would visually show that she has emotionally matured and truly invested herself in this beyond logic and denial.

When being able to cry is not a sign of cliche weakness, but of growth... I like it!

^I will let this weeks old prediction of mine do the talking. This is how I felt about it before and how I feel about it now.

I can only hope all other conflicts (Midori-san and Manaka-san’s relationship) get to be resolved until the last chapter.

I second this notion. We have at least 4 more chapters, so Nakatani will have to bring her A-game!

I actually meant that the page was referencing the fact that her feet have finally lifted off the ground (callback to chap 1 as with the rest of this chap). & like she said in this chapter, it's not some unknown force that sweeps her off, just her own effort.

Not to be a downer, but this already happened during Yuu's first confession when she first initiated a kiss. She was also tip-toeing there.

Oh I was too slow lol
Yeah I saw this as a reflection of the failed first confession. Same position, same raised feet, but completely different context. Where before she was desperately leaping to express these overflowing emotions against all better judgement, she now had already released the pressure during the repeated "I love you"s. So she could initiate the kiss without worry or doubts.

last edited at May 2, 2019 11:45AM

joined May 2, 2019

I'm happy for Yuu and Touko, but I feel sad for Sayaka.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

NOW THE SWEET FLUFFY CHAPTERS OF DATING AND KISSING YES THANK YOU

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I really love how they didn't show the kiss at the end of Ch. 40. Like...there wasn't any reason to, you know what I mean? They confessed, they were (finally!) honest with each other and with themselves, and they're together. Even though no kiss was shown, it was one of the most tastefully done kiss scenes I've ever read in all my years of reading manga.

Great! Awesome! And damnit. We didn't see the kiss but oh well.. at least they love eachother and we know now that Yuu's tears are salty too. Mmm.

how dare they not show us the kiss

Yes finally! trough why the hell did they cut out the kiss dammit!

Now the next chapter of the continued kiss please... you can’t do this to us Σ੧(❛□❛✿)

(shake head) You guys are missing the point. Lip to lip contact is all over this manga. They've kissed on at least four or five different occasions that I can remember. Hell, we got one of them in flashback this very chapter.

What's important is what's different about this kiss, and that's what the author is showing by focusing on her feet. She's an active participant now. She's pushing up on her toes to get that kiss, whereas in the others she was always passive.

Yes finally! trough why the hell did they cut out the kiss dammit!

There's actually something sweet about how they've kissed on panel so many times with only one of them being the one to initiate the kiss, but the first time they're really kissing each other we don't get to see it. I guess it's the rule of what you don't see being more effective than what you do see being used to illustrate just how beautiful the moment is.

Also it's cute af. Yuu on her tiptoes because of the height difference.

See, these guys get it.

The closing of the curtains... just like you’d see in a play. Brilliant. This mangaka is gifted in her talents. May she continue her work, for there will always be readers looking forward to her future publications.

I’m going to keep an eye out for the anime version of this manga in dubbed english.

I’m sure there will be a time jump for next chapter... a sort of epilogue. I’d like to see the minor characters get their loose ends tied up too.

This is only the start of the volume. Given the past setup, I'm guessing that the rest of this volume is about other people catching on to their relationship now that it's mutual.

I also expect that Touko's thirst is going to go off the charts now. Also Yuu's.

I mean, that closing of the curtain was very definitely a "we are going to make out SO MUCH" move.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Yuu has never cried about anything in the story and apparently not even when she should have in the past either (like losing in the Softball matches). Thanks to being not emotionally invested enough in things she just does out of obligation or to help someone.
So if Yuu cries (for good or bad) because of her current situation with Touko, that would visually show that she has emotionally matured and truly invested herself in this beyond logic and denial.

When being able to cry is not a sign of cliche weakness, but of growth... I like it!

^I will let this weeks old prediction of mine do the talking. This is how I felt about it before and how I feel about it now.

Yep. Yuu crying with happiness at her feelings being returned is definitely a fantastic narrative turn, and it is super cute.

I can only hope all other conflicts (Midori-san and Manaka-san’s relationship) get to be resolved until the last chapter.

I second this notion. We have at least 4 more chapters, so Nakatani will have to bring her A-game!

The scene with Midori and Manaka is probably the extra chapter for vol. 7, showing what they were up to during Touko and Sayaka's talk, so I wouldn't expect the main narrative to suddenly veer towards them.

I actually meant that the page was referencing the fact that her feet have finally lifted off the ground (callback to chap 1 as with the rest of this chap). & like she said in this chapter, it's not some unknown force that sweeps her off, just her own effort.

Not to be a downer, but this already happened during Yuu's first confession when she first initiated a kiss. She was also tip-toeing there.

True, but it still serves the same purpose. It underscores that the nature of their relationship has changed, that Yuu is active and invested in the relationship, that they're not just going back to the old status quo.

(snipped the rest because I agree with it all and have nothing to add)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The scene with Midori and Manaka is probably the extra chapter for vol. 7, showing what they were up to during Touko and Sayaka's talk, so I wouldn't expect the main narrative to suddenly veer towards them.

No worries, their intense relationship has always been hidden behind a veil of obfuscation. That is what makes it so charming, and dare I say, subtle.
(〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

last edited at May 2, 2019 12:33PM

matsuri_wins
4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Wait... Did they fuck??

No, Yuri readers are happy enough with hand-holding and cut out kiss scenes. Unfortunately...

SlowburnPhoenix
E3b0ae88-e397-4841-ada6-f0d793de4c21
joined Nov 25, 2018

Wait... Did they fuck??

Get the fuck out, dude. There’s more to romance stories than just fucking.

B61e85481cd305c6139d74d53e7100cf--pixel-ideas
joined Sep 20, 2017

now the only thing I need left is season 2 for anime. Dear Yuri God, please make it happen.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I just wanted to ask for the "go-ahead" to do this in 3h and 25min?

Stop asking for permission to talk about the actual manga in question BV. You always make completely irrelevant posts without any issue, so why do you get all self-conscious now? rolls eyes

last edited at May 2, 2019 1:45PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

BV, you have the weirdest, most self-referential off-topic posts I’ve ever seen.

How about you just post whatever you think best, and if you’re wrong people will yell at you, and then you’ll know not to do that particular thing anymore?

But meta-posts about hypothetical posts are still off-topic posts.

To bring it slightly on-topic: Sayaka could probably explain this more clearly than I’m doing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.