Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It's unfair to compare two things when it all comes down to personal taste.

Certainly, if it was only about rating them based on preference there is not much point arguing. So it goes with subjective topics.

But saying you can't compare them is a bit much. You even did it yourself just now. There are similar aspects present in both series, so naturally you can compare them. The important thing is that you can't tell the other person they can't like or prefer what they want to.

YagaKimi and Citrus have different strengths, but I think whether one is a fan of one or both, there are points that can be agreed on in regards to structure and plot elements being used. Symbolism, foreshadowing, characterization, use of tropes etc etc. Those things can be objectively compared.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Damn, Nya-chan, that was well-done—sharp, accurate, and even-handed.

As someone who cooks, I really relate to the meal metaphor. One series is surprising only in that it consists of familiar ingredients combined in slightly unusual ways, then executed and served precisely as it needs to be.

The other is like a meal that started with a bold concept, but the kitchen discovered they were short on some crucial ingredients so they decided to improvise by ransacking the spice cabinet. (They also forgot to set the oven timer.) They avoided complete disaster by ending up with a big showy pre-prepared wedding cake.

A lot of people only remember that there were lots of tastes and they loved the dessert.

This. Though in my case, for Citrus the ending was too much of a letdown for me (too “cheap”) so I find myself not taking Citrus+ with any kind of seriousness. It kinda crossed the line into “casual reading that deserves no comments or speculation”.

BTW I like “sparring” with folks like Blastaar and BugDevil about different series, and there’s nothing antagonistic about it. On the contrary, it refines and expands my opinions on the different series and is super fun.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

You two wanna spar, do it in the ring. On pay per view. With the proceeds going into my account.

Only if you sponsor me.

You'll settle for Red Bull and like it!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Oof. You drive a hard bargain. At least it's not Monster, I suppose.

last edited at Apr 18, 2019 10:00AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

My girlfriend works for Avon. We could try to arrange for Avon to sponsor you.
Either that, or maybe arrange something with Ribnica Komerc, where my dad works.
If both of these fail... well... then I can't help ya, buddy...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I wouldn't call Bloom Into You overrated. My issue with it is more that while it's very well executed, it still only tells a very typical story I read many times before, so despite it nuance, I lost my interest in reading it. I really wish it would go different route and explore some new grounds, while still being as well written as it's now. And yes, I'm fully aware it all boils down to me setting some expectations and story not meeting them. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I feel like reading that kind of generic plot again.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I wouldn't call Bloom Into You overrated. My issue with it is more that while it's very well executed, it still only tells a very typical story I read many times before, so despite it nuance, I lost my interest in reading it. I really wish it would go a different route and explore some new grounds, while still being as well written as it's now. And yes, I'm fully aware it all boils down to me setting some expectations and story not meeting them. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I feel like reading that kind of generic plot again.

It's really not generic. While Bloom isn't doing anything ground-breaking, the quality of the writing outclasses anything remotely similar. There is very few manga as emotionally complex as YagaKimi. I've read a few stories where the main protagonist starts off not knowing what love is like but, YagaKimi's the only one that has done this concept justice IMO. There are quite a few stories that have a seemingly perfect girl with a hidden side but, apart from Monogatari, I can't think of any that have done it properly. It explores new grounds by virtue of going deeper into the psyches of it's characters.

YagaKimi isn't special in concept but, it has become special through impeccable execution. You're basically comparing a burger from a fast food restaurant to a burger from a 3 Michelin Star restaurant.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

NxY posted:

It's really not generic.

"generic plot"

While Bloom isn't doing anything ground-breaking, the quality of the writing outclasses anything remotely similar.
YagaKimi isn't special in concept but, it has become special through impeccable execution.

"while it's very well executed, it still only tells a very typical story"

Why I even bother writing anything if nobody actually reads it with comprehension.

You're basically comparing a burger from a fast food restaurant to a burger from a 3 Michelin Star restaurant.

I, at no point, compered it to anything, but I see because of the whole Citrus vs YagaKimi talk, you wanted to use clever food comparison too.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 1:59PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

NxY posted:

It's really not generic.

"generic plot"

While Bloom isn't doing anything ground-breaking, the quality of the writing outclasses anything remotely similar.
YagaKimi isn't special in concept but, it has become special through impeccable execution.

"while it's very well executed, it still only tells a very typical story"

Why I even bother writing anything if nobody actually reads it with comprehension.

You're right, of course, but this inevitably happens with descriptive words where the evaluative connotations have overtaken the denotation, which of course has happened to "generic." People who want to defend it feel compelled to deny the denotation ("There are many things like this") as a way of contesting the connotation ("This is no different than the other things like this").

Yes, YagaKimi does adhere fairly closely to certain genre conventions, and for a person looking for something else, or who values other qualities much more highly, that's going to be a bad thing.

I personally tend to read genre fiction to see what the author does with the genre conventions; it's fine when someone does something highly original or surprising and it's done effectively, but that's not necessarily high on my own list of priorities.

But when someone is dissing a favorite it seems to be hard to resist the impulse to deny the description itself rather than the evaluation.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Knowing that the majority of central storytelling structures and themes were well-established across Eurasia (and possibly wider but lack of sources makes any real conclusions impossible) by the Bronze Age has left me altogether more concerned with the quality of the writing than any particular attempts at "originality." Or to use a cooking analogy what matters is how well the chef executes the recipe, not how many (ostensibly) novel spins they can add to it - those are just a bonus should they work out.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 2:33PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

I personally tend to read genre fiction to see what the author does with the genre conventions

I don't mind reading stories for that too, but this specific premise I read so many times, I'm currently sick off it and prefer to look for different kinds of stories.

joined Nov 5, 2017

I wonder how original romance stories can be these days, with basically every possible trope done already, it seems authors can only make their stories more creative by adding elements that make those tropes interesting and charming.
As for yuri as a genre, I think there could be more variety plot-wise if the setting is changed. I for once would love to read fantasy yuri, or maho shoujo, anything but high school setting. We have plenty of series like that but the romance between girls is either a secondary aspect or is kept on subtext forever. Murcielago is one of the few exceptions~

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

I personally tend to read genre fiction to see what the author does with the genre conventions

I don't mind reading stories for that too, but this specific premise I read so many times, I'm currently sick off it and prefer to look for different kinds of stories.

Wait, the "I can love you only because you can't love me" premise? Because that's the only thing that does seem unusual to me.

Or something else?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well, would you mind giving examples then?
I seem to have serious trouble finding many stories with these exact plot points. There are some vaguely like it, but not really. Unless you generalize the very idea of not understanding love or trying to replace a person, but then.... you may as well read nothing anymore, because those vague definitions seep into most romance and drama by default.

And I know you read and watch generic stories with overdone cliches that are lacking in execution compared to YagaKimi (as do all of us), so you must be extremely oversaturated with this specific story type. I honestly just want to know how that could possibly happen, especially in the context of yuri, which is already niche.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 2:57PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Knowing that the majority of central storytelling structures and themes were well-established across Eurasia (and possibly wider but lack of sources makes any real conclusions impossible) by the Bronze Age has left me altogether more concerned with the quality of the writing than any particular attempts at "originality." Or to use a cooking analogy what matters is how well the chef executes the recipe, not how many (ostensibly) novel spins they can add to it - those are just a bonus should they work out.

Seconded.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Hi Nevri!

joined Oct 11, 2018

I wouldn't call Bloom Into You overrated. My issue with it is more that while it's very well executed, it still only tells a very typical story I read many times before, so despite it nuance, I lost my interest in reading it. I really wish it would go different route and explore some new grounds, while still being as well written as it's now. And yes, I'm fully aware it all boils down to me setting some expectations and story not meeting them. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I feel like reading that kind of generic plot again.

Mmm, I can see what you mean. Yuri tends to have very clear cut character archetypes. I will say the idea of, "I can't fall in love," is a considerably atypical motivation for the story (I had only seen something similar briefly mentioned in another manga. And I mean like 'one line' brief) and the way Sayaka plays into the relationship is actually pretty unique too. You're right when you say the character archetypes are typical, or even the plot, however I think the subversion of expectations in many places in said plot are actually what separates it. I've already mentioned the character motivations, but it's also quite refreshing to see side characters affecting the main plot (rather than just stealing chapters for themselves with no baring on how they will further engage with the story)
You're right when you say we've seen all the building blocks here before in MANY other yuri manga, but I'm not sure I would call the whole story typical.
(Then again I've read so many yuri manga at this point I may have blinded myself lol)

joined Dec 28, 2016

Either that, or maybe arrange something with Ribnica Komerc, where my dad works.

BV you got warned before to not do this. Can you not please? So many off-topic posts. Forums are not your personal blog.

last edited at Apr 23, 2019 4:35AM

joined Oct 11, 2018

I wonder how original romance stories can be these days, with basically every possible trope done already, it seems authors can only make their stories more creative by adding elements that make those tropes interesting and charming.
As for yuri as a genre, I think there could be more variety plot-wise if the setting is changed. I for once would love to read fantasy yuri, or maho shoujo, anything but high school setting. We have plenty of series like that but the romance between girls is either a secondary aspect or is kept on subtext forever. Murcielago is one of the few exceptions~

I agree with this whole-heartedly. The lack of variety in setting has gotten to the point where I was just excited to see that Bloom Into You wasn't taking place in an ALL GIRLS school. There are a few yuri that take place in different settings, most of them are relatively new and incomplete though, and those that are older seem relatively short and somewhat sloppy. I think the future of yuri looks bright though!

joined Oct 22, 2018

BV you got warned before to not do this. Can you not please? So many off-topic posts. Forums are not your personal blog.

First: I don't have a personal blog and don't plan on making one.
Second: You could've at least told me that before my (literally) self-punishing self-imposed exile from Dynasty.
Third: My apologies, but I couldn't resist but join in the conversation that was kind of a sequel to an argument between BugDevil and someone else (I already forgot who it was.
Fourth: In any case, point taken.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Folks, the Yagate Kimi ni Naru facebook group is currently saying that volume 8 will be the last one for this story. Has anyone else seen any verification of this fact from an official source?

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

Folks, the Yagate Kimi ni Naru facebook group is currently saying that volume 8 will be the last one for this story. Has anyone else seen any verification of this fact from an official source?

Nakatani said she was 80% through the story at volume 6, so Volume 8 is likely to be the last one. I don't think it's been confirmed, though.

Edit: This tweet says it's the last but, I'm not sure where they got the information from.

last edited at Apr 24, 2019 4:04PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

They're correct. The information is official since it was the preview page for vol 8 included in vol 7's tank release that just came out: https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4364646397717223#comment

Fad8970e-c901-4004-bae1-4e5d013b5424
joined Jan 19, 2019

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4364646397717223#

I should be hyped for Yuu and Touko, but instead I’m hyped because we’ll get a little more of Midori and Manaka. Nakatani-sensei knows her public so well...

last edited at Apr 24, 2019 7:54PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I bet this manga is going to end with no make out scene. Yuri manga readers are the only people in the world that read something for literally years just to see 2 people holding hands in a final panel. Like seriously.

To reply you must either login or sign up.