Forum › Secret Closet discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I very much understand the internal "ugh" some may have for stories like this, but I liked this one.

Don't listen to the people who complain. This story is cute. Really cute. And, as Sakaki told to Chiyo, it's a fact: "Kakkoii vs. kawaii... kawaii is stronger!"

joined Oct 27, 2018

I very much understand the internal "ugh" some may have for stories like this, but I liked this one.

Don't listen to the people who complain. This story is cute. Really cute. And, as Sakaki told to Chiyo, it's a fact: "Kakkoii vs. kawaii... kawaii is stronger!"

Sakaki is dead wrong

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I can't stand the comments on this website, just enjoy the cute girls who enjoy cute girls

I started using this website in 2010 and back then every work had maybe 20 comments tops. Most of them had comments in the single digits or none. They were really simple comments too.

I think hosting Citrus was what caused the whole website to blow up. Citrus got a lot of people interested in yuri, and now I feel like there is more yuri in the mainstream than ever. Lesbian couples aren't just running jokes anymore.

I feel like Dynasty has a really special place in the yuri community, so this site was destined to become larger with the growth of yuri. I don't think you should see that as a bad thing. Sure, more people here means more chances to disagree. But at the end we're all here for one thing right? Which is that we all like yuri. As a fan, I really enjoy that there are a lot of people who like the same thing I do.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I can't stand the comments on this website, just enjoy the cute girls who enjoy cute girls

I started using this website in 2010 and back then every work had maybe 20 comments tops. Most of them had comments in the single digits or none. They were really simple comments too.

I think hosting Citrus was what caused the whole website to blow up. Citrus got a lot of people interested in yuri, and now I feel like there is more yuri in the mainstream than ever. Lesbian couples aren't just running jokes anymore.

I feel like Dynasty has a really special place in the yuri community, so this site was destined to become larger with the growth of yuri. I don't think you should see that as a bad thing. Sure, more people here means more chances to disagree. But at the end we're all here for one thing right? Which is that we all like yuri. As a fan, I really enjoy that there are a lot of people who like the same thing I do.

Yes, great comment. I may post negative comments sometimes, but that's coz I love yuri, and i love having these kinds of discussions about it.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I don't get the base behind these kinds of manga, tomboys are tomboys for a reason and if they wanted to dress up cute, they would dress up cute. Sometimes you just need to do what you want to do without thinking about what people think about you.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I don't get the base behind these kinds of manga, tomboys are tomboys for a reason and if they wanted to dress up cute, they would dress up cute. Sometimes you just need to do what you want to do without thinking about what people think about you.

That's a good moral. Someone should write a manga about it, or maybe just a one-shot.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This was a nice twist of the tomboy-who-wants-to-be-cute cliche.

darkwatcher123
joined Jul 9, 2013

Ugh, another manga about how tomboys secretly long to be girly and are being forced into it by peer pressure or some nonsense.

actually, i really like this kind of setting. anyone know other manga with this setting?

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

Okay, it's very cute charming but... Where is the yuri ?
It's just subtext.

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

That oneshot tab hurt me a little

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

I for one enjoyed this one shot and certainly empathised with Toda-san. People aren't necessarily malicious. But the unintentional pressure and expectations they have can push you in certain directions.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I think the thing about this kind of story that gets people upset is simply that it's a girl denying masculine traits to become more feminine, and people subconsciously see it as an attack against personal gender identification, even if they wouldn't consciously view it that way.

For example, I have nothing to back this claim up, but I personally would expect that people wouldn't have any problem with a story about a girl who wanted to be more cool and masculine, but thinks that they couldn't pull it off because they were always seen as small and feminine. Even though the core message would be identical (although admittedly it would be a refreshing twist), I think people would be more accepting of it because the character would be going against the "social norm" for their gender rather than towards it.

joined Sep 6, 2018

The members on this site really helps the media. The willingness to offer others assistance to understanding the material is quite generous. The user interface on this site helps a lot too. This is a cool site.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Lol.. I love that instead of acting like jelly bitches they let her into the fanclub.

Yeah, me too? This made me happy. I was expecting the whole "Ew who does she think she is" but no they were just all, oh you think she's cute too, cmon join in!

This was so adorable and wholesome, I didn't even mind the whole narrow-minded fangirls, because they weren't saying their opinion on the lolita stuff to be nasty, but because it didn't fit it with how they saw yoshii, which isn't their fault when yoshii is always presenting herself as the boyfriend tomboy. How are they supposed to think any differently

Those two were very cute though, it would be nice to see a sequel when they're on a date and yoshii has grown her hair a little

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

That went better than I thought it would. Kept thinking every other page was going to be one of those abrupt endings and say "fin." I like how she ended up unwilling part of the fan club. That was kinda different and neat.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yoshii gained a little bit of Toda's cuteness. She always had it in her. She will grow out her hair.
Toda gained a little bit of Yoshii's coolness. She always had it in her. She will see school as less suffocating now.

Helping Yoshii open up about wanting to be cute helped Toda open up about her hobby as well.

They help each other be more themselves. I think that's brilliant.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I think in regards to this particular one-shot, it's more that Yoshii seems to feel she has to keep up her image of being a cool chick, whether it's because of her looks or who knows, maybe she was athletic as a kid and it just became almost expected. Peer pressure, if you will.
Totally agree with your last sentence, though.

Yeah, this story has been done before, but this one was done really well, s'cute. Speaking as a lifelong tomboy who enjoys all things cute but would never wear anything cute (although, is matching your shoes with your shirts cute?), I personally never get offended by this kind of story. Not sure why every label we put on stuff has to be so stringent. She can be tomboyish and also cute, why not. Just as Toda can be cute but also kinda cool. That's what I took from the story, anyway.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Not sure why every label we put on stuff has to be so stringent. She can be tomboyish and also cute, why not. Just as Toda can be cute but also kinda cool. That's what I took from the story, anyway.

Yeah, people tend to forget that Tomboy isn't just a look. Personalities or behavior can be tomboy too, especially in Japanese media.
Personally my favorite tomboys are those that look cute, but act "masculine". I don't think that is a contradiction, but it does work well with the gap effect.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 3:48AM

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

not everyone has your confidence ;) for some, thinking about what others thinks and going against that is enough to paralyze them

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Yoshii-san.

This person gets it. This is what makes here really cute.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 4:20AM

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

Tomboys are cool... What is the problem.. sigh..

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

The fangirls were a bit narrow-minded, but good people in the end. Pretty refreshing, honestly. I bet they'd come around to the Cute Side eventually (especially if they saw Yoshii dressed up in-person).

I think that's my favorite part of this manga. Unlike others in its genre, the gang of girls weren't complete assholes about the whole thing. I can't even blame them for pressuring Chihiro, since she apparently never gave any indication that she was anything less than perfectly happy to go along with their games. That's completely her fault, you can't expect people to change how they treat you if you never let them know you want them to.

And then when Toda got upset and stormed out, rather than ostracizing her they just invited her into their group. I was 100% expecting bullying to become an issue, but it just never did.

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I don't understand how anyone can finish reading this and think "Wow, I can't believe this author is implying all tomboys secretly want to be girly!"
A little less projecting would do you guys good.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Not sure why every label we put on stuff has to be so stringent. She can be tomboyish and also cute, why not. Just as Toda can be cute but also kinda cool. That's what I took from the story, anyway.

Yeah, people tend to forget that Tomboy isn't just a look. Personalities or behavior can be tomboy too, especially in Japanese media.
Personally my favorite tomboys are those that look cute, but act "masculine". I don't think that is a contradiction, but it does work well with the gap effect.

Yes, exactly. And those are my favorite too!
In the end I got the feeling that Tado got a little more tomboyish, because she learnt that she likes to protect cute things. It was a total switching of roles. That is what I love about this oneshot the most.
People tend to tell you who you are meant to be. But fuck them, just be who you want to be. They won't be satisfied anyway, so better be happy yourself.

Midori'sbittersweetshit.jpg-1-1-min-min-1-min
joined Mar 14, 2018

To reply you must either login or sign up.