Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

joined Aug 22, 2016

So... Nakatani-Sensei is going to pair the sweet and romantic Akari with the typical, annoying pervert that is Doujima? Well, 'Bloom into You' is technically a Shōnen, so not so much surprising as it is incredibly disappointing. Sigh... So long as Touko and Yuu have a good ending and Sayaka is left hopeful for the future I'll be happy. I'd love a spin-off for Sayaka and more adult-life scenes between Riko and Miyako though.

last edited at Mar 1, 2019 1:32PM

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

So... Nakatani-Sensei is going to pair the sweet and romantic Akari with the typical, annoying pervert that is Doujima? Well, 'Bloom into You' is technically a Shōnen, so not so much surprising as it is incredibly disappointing. Sigh... So long as Touko and Yuu have a good ending and Sayaka is left hopeful for the future I'll be happy. I'd love a spin-off for Sayaka and more adult-life scenes between Riko and Miyako though.

I disagree Doujima is classic slightly idiotic school boy, but however as do all the characters are deeper than they first seem. The scene outside the gym being the prime example. Perhaps it will work out perhaps it won't.

joined Aug 22, 2016

I disagree Doujima is classic slightly idiotic school boy, but however as do all the characters are deeper than they first seem. The scene outside the gym being the prime example. Perhaps it will work out perhaps it won't.

Yes, the classic idiotic, pervert school boy that is the archetype of the vast majority of Shōnen male protagonists. The type is toned down in this series though. I'm not certain what deeper moment you refer to. I looked back through the series and it seems Doujima showed an "interest" in Akari early on. And at that time Akari shows a clear aversion to Doujima along with him exposing his motivation to surround himself with girls.
Early in the series, Doujima asks Maki in an insinuating manner which of the girls are their respective types during a StuCo meeting -- this was asking Maki to judge each girl's "qualities" right in front of them as if that's why they're there for. This can be hurtful and demeaning, and Maki brushed Doujima's question off. There's nothing inherently wrong in discussing types of course, but there is timing, motivation, and context. Imagine giving a presentation at work and you hear someone judging your attractiveness and expressing their own personal interest in you.
There was also the moment where the group was discussing who should play Touko's romantic partner in the play. When Sayaka was recommended, Doujima questioned the orientation yet then agreed with the decision only because a lesbian relationship would bring more attention. Yuu says "You're right" to Doujima but to me her expression in that moment showed her comment was not of approval. His comment also questions Koyomi's motivations as a writer for writing a lesbian couple.
I've never liked it and am sick of seeing this dynamic play out where female characters are compromised to fit into a relationship type that is disturbingly all too common itself. I can only hope the Nakatani-Sensei will do things differently if she's stuck on putting these two together.

last edited at Mar 1, 2019 3:17PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

^ I dunno why you're getting hung up over a side couple that will just be developed in the background and never take center stage. It was kinda obvious that they would be paired up from ch 27 as well as hints from ch 30 and Nakatani anthology commentary page. I'm glad this is how she approached it actually, just casually referencing their possible growing relationship in the background instead of dedicating any major focus on them. I hope it stays that way because who cares about those two really. it's ok that you don't like Doujima or the idea of him and Akari together, but meh, I wouldn't get too worked up over those two's relevancy.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

https://macadate.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/bloom-into-you-talk-event-beyond-the-last-stop-report/

Partial translation of a report on the 2/26 open talk event with Nakatani, Kusunoki, & 4 other major anime staffs and producers.

Pretty interesting, and, at some moments, funny... But what really caught my mind was how they described Nakatani's beauty somewhat resembling that of Miyako (is there a video recording of what's been put into this report?), but also there's what short description they gave of Kusunoki... Should I take that as a sign that Nakatani and Kunosoki are actually dating, or...?

Yeah, I somehow managed to confuse myself...

joined Oct 22, 2018

Kuso TL: https://m.imgur.com/a/irSHm4H

I love it how Yuu went from lying to herself, to dealing with the fact that she's heartbroken, to getting a glimmer of hope as she receives Touko’s message from chapter 38. Another reason to look forward to April!

joined Oct 22, 2018

My re-reading of the manga came in handy for a certain sentence in this whole Doujima - Akari convo happening in the thread

I'm not certain what deeper moment you refer to.

Chapter 27, pages 9 - 19.

last edited at Mar 1, 2019 4:34PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Gudetamago posted:

^ I dunno why you're getting hung up over a side couple that will just be developed in the background and never take center stage. It was kinda obvious that they would be paired up from ch 27 as well as hints from ch 30 and Nakatani anthology commentary page. I'm glad this is how she approached it actually, just casually referencing their possible growing relationship in the background instead of dedicating any major focus on them. I hope it stays that way because who cares about those two really. it's ok that you don't like Doujima or the idea of him and Akari together, but meh, I wouldn't get too worked up over those two's relevancy.

Maybe because everyone praises this manga as being subversive and really well written. So you can't criticize parts of the story, if they are not relevant and/or don't play major role? Then why it's in the story in the first place if it's pointless? It isn't about them being relevant or not, but idea itself.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Maybe because everyone praises this manga as being subversive and really well written. So you can't criticize parts of the story, if they are not relevant and/or don't play major role? Then why it's in the story in the first place if it's pointless? It isn't about them being relevant or not, but idea itself.

They are relevant thematically as showing another side of romantic relationship in juxtaposition to Touko & Yuu's relationship. Akari's love story has always been portrayed in parallel to Yuu's in the form of Yuu looking to Akari's love life to reflect back on her own (ch 4 with the idea that love grows over time & you can keep loving someone till they return your feelings, ch 27 with the rejection and heartbreak, & now with the idea of being able to move on from your heartbreak/crush to find a new love). What I meant by their relevancy is their focus. I didn't discourage the other member from their criticism on the idea behind the couple, but because they mentioned how they hoped Nakatani would handle Akari & Doujima's dynamic better if she was gonna have them together, to which I think isn't really a concern because I don't think those two will actually get any major focus other than these sorts of background developments.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

People should count their blessings. A bad scenario would be if Sayaka gives up on being a lesbian after her 2nd heartbreak and couples up with Dojima.

LMAO

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

People should count their blessings. A bad scenario would be if Sayaka gives up on being a lesbian after her 2nd heartbreak and couples up with Dojima.

LMAO

Oh, please, give the woman some credit—Ichigaya the dreamy acting coach would be a far more appropriate match.

Besides, Koyomi’s the one who’ll make a move on Dojima. Lol

joined Nov 5, 2017

LMAO

Oh, please, give the woman some credit—Ichigaya the dreamy acting coach would be a far more appropriate match.

I unironically think Koyomi and Doujima could have made a good couple of opposites. Too bad the guy is already taken~

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LMAO

I unironically think Koyomi and Doujima could have made a good couple of opposites. Too bad the guy is already taken~

Well, Koyomi has always been the side character who is closest to my heart (cute, smart, creative, and sensible making for a winning combo in my book), while Doujima is . . . the opposite of that.

So while my head must acknowledge the validity of your idea (it’s where my joke originally came from), my heart says if that vulgar little twerp even comes near Koyomi with romantic intentions, I’m calling the police.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

When all is said and done I hope we get to see Yuu and Touko come out to Yuu parents or just having a open relationship without needing to hide things so they can have the good and accepted type of relationship Yuu sister and her bf have. For the two to be able be a coupe and spend time/nights at each others house would be great.

joined Oct 22, 2018

When all is said and done I hope we get to see Yuu and Touko come out to Yuu parents or just having a open relationship without needing to hide things so they can have the good and accepted type of relationship Yuu sister and her bf have. For the two to be able be a coupe and spend time/nights at each others house would be great.

If they come out to anyone, better start with friends, I think. They sort of, kind of, technically already did to Sayaka and Maki. I think it won't be hard to come out to Koyomi (the play she wrote has a yuri couple, afterall) or Doujima (a fellow student council member); of course, people like @BugDevil (did I spell the username correctly? I forgot if there was an underdash in it or not) and myself are also shipping Midori and Manaka, so it comes as no surprise that I'd think that coming out to them would be easy. This just leaves Akari and Natsuki as people I don't know what they'd think of. I think they're gonna accept, but there have been little to no hints of that.
Now, the next best bet (even better than some of those in the previous paragraph) would definitely be Rei. She already guessed what was going on, and already decided to support her sister, and I think Hiro might be in the same boat, too. Rei did mention that her and Yuu's dad might initially be opposed, but eventually convinced, but that their mom is the actual problem about all that, and their grandma would surely side with her daughter (Yuu and Rei's mom), so I'm not sure how they'd go beyond that. I honestly have no effing idea what will Touko’s parents think about it, so I can only hope for the best.
Still, by far the most likely adults to be accepting of that are, of couse, Riko and Miyako, themselves a lesbian couple. This still leaves Ichigaya in the "I'm not sure wether they will support or not" category, but he's kinda leaning more to the "will" side of that spectrum.
Aaah, can't believe I wasted over 20 minutes for this post!

EDIT: Hopefully, it'd be worth it.

last edited at Mar 2, 2019 5:01AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Lots of Doujima hate here, huh? Poor guy is just honest with himself and isn't afraid of getting shot down for it. These carefree and and fun types aren't bad at all. His comments are not mean-spirited and it's better that he is open about them than doing it behind people's backs. You always know where he stands.
I'm not gonna bother replying to all those claims tho, because I'm not the Doujima defense squad. lol

Now about the chapter (which I read somewhere else again. Too slow Dynasty!)
Just as expected, Yuu showed all the signs of typical escapism after a heartbreak. I feel like anyone could have told her that, really, but it held a bit more weight with Maki, because the position she tries to flee into is the one he already stands in. So he can easily tell her the truth how it is. I am actually surprised to see his inner reflection show that he has regrets for being aromantic. He always seemed so contend with his lot until now. I suppose it's impossible not to envy something you can never have.

Haha, that running shot at the end makes it almost look possible that my wish of Yuu tackling Touko halfway to the meeting happens. I'm glad Nakatani is doing this the right way, with them meeting halfway and both having made up their minds, rather than a silly "Touko must win Yuu's heart and trust back" arc. This is the kind of story where even the predictable outcomes are emotional.

last edited at Mar 2, 2019 5:25AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

LMAO

Well, Koyomi has always been the side character who is closest to my heart (cute, smart, creative, and sensible making for a winning combo in my book), while Doujima is . . . the opposite of that.

I relate strongly to Doujima, he clearly has a good heart! I was very similar to him as a teenager, obnoxious comments and all. Even though I'm a woman lol You need to be a bit more forgiving of youth.

joined Feb 18, 2018

This just leaves Akari and Natsuki as people I don't know what they'd think of. I think they're gonna accept, but there have been little to no hints of that.

Is Natsuki the short-haired girl with a dog? My gaydar tells me she ain't straight and used to have a thing for Yuu. Maybe she is Sayaka's promised bride lolz

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LMAO

I relate strongly to Doujima, he clearly has a good heart! I was very similar to him as a teenager, obnoxious comments and all. Even though I'm a woman lol You need to be a bit more forgiving of youth.

I wasn’t forgiving of youth even when I was a youth. Especially then, actually.

I don’t really hate Doujima, he’s just the only on-panel character in the story (except for the lazy ex-stuco president) who’s kind of a jerkoff. As you say, he’s a basically good-hearted one, though.

He still needs to stay away from Koyomi if he knows what’s good for him.

EDIT: Dead on about Natsuki, although all clear-thinking people have kind of a thing for Yuu.

last edited at Mar 2, 2019 8:13AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Doujima certainly isn't the classiest dude around and definitely acts pretty boorish at times, but OTOH for all his shameless ogling of the hot sempais I can't remember him ever being anything but well-behaved and friendly in his actual interactions with the girls and we have every reason to believe he's handling his SC duties with due diligence and competence. (Can't really picture Touko and Sayaka keeping him around if he didn't, anyway...)

In short a basically decent chap with some mildly irritating quirks. P sure we've all met those at some point.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

This just leaves Akari and Natsuki as people I don't know what they'd think of. I think they're gonna accept, but there have been little to no hints of that.

Is Natsuki the short-haired girl with a dog? My gaydar tells me she ain't straight and used to have a thing for Yuu. Maybe she is Sayaka's promised bride lolz

It's spreadiiiing like the common flu! Everyone's lez now!
Joking side, I just made a joke about Manaka and Midori being a thing two pages back and this isn't any less farfetched lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While I also definitely got a “not entirely straight” read from Natsuki, let me amend my overly glib remarks to say that it’s perfectly possible, and in fact probably more common than not, for gay people to be friends with someone they they think is attractive yet not “have a thing” for their friend. Necessarily.

It’s me who has a bit of thing for Yuu. ‘Cuz she’s so cute and sweet.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

While I also definitely got a “not entirely straight” read from Natsuki, let me amend my overly glib remarks to say that it’s perfectly possible, and in fact probably more common than not, for gay people to be friends with someone they they think is attractive yet not “have a thing” for their friend. Necessarily.

It's the tomboy look, isn't it?
Natsuki's sexuality aside, I see merit in what you are saying. Though it's a bit hit and miss, because as you probably know from your own life, you don't necessarily pick friends based on how attractive they are, even if it's the gender you are sexually interested in. It's a bit odd to say that gay people are different in that regard.

Yuu is pretty amazing, no denying that.

last edited at Mar 2, 2019 9:14AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

TBH personally I'm a bigger fan of her mischievous streak. Nakatani drawing some pretty awesome impish grins may be related... >_>

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

TBH personally I'm a bigger fan of her mischievous streak. Nakatani drawing some pretty awesome impish grins may be related... >_>

Yeah that's also my favorite aspect of Yuu. Her nonchalant teasing and mischievious attitude towards friends is very nice.
If you look at Nakatani's Touhou stuff, she did a really impish Reimu. It's great~

To reply you must either login or sign up.