Forum › Caged Lovers discussion

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well that was disturbing. I was already quite iffy on it after the whole "virginity check" tripe and then it decided it needed to take a swan dive into the ground at the end. I think I'll wait to see how it ends before continuing it. Though considering what people have said about the author maybe I'll just forget it exists instead. There's enough depressing as fuck trash in real life, don't really care for it in stories too.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Well, as we say in Brazil, opinions are like assholes: to each their own.

we have the same saying in Poland

We have the same saying in my household :p

... hasn't anyone here watched Dirty Harry? It basically globalized the saying (Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one). That being said it doesn't have any sort of "secret" meaning that only works in certain languages so there's really no reason why it'd be some language specific thing in the first place ^^;

Oh, I had no idea it was a movie quote. I guess that was probably where it came from.

It's not just a movie quote. It's been around for a long time.

joined Jul 26, 2016

BTW, author’s first idea was the love between courtesans in high end brothel. She’s into such things.

... and if decently done that could have been good.

Would involve less violence to suspension of disbelief from the get go, certainly.

Img_20191208_235120
joined Nov 14, 2015

Sounds like the best manga ever

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I'm hesitantly curious. It seems like it could be angling for social commentary, along with a very literal showing of the anxiety of lesbians forced into marriages with men by their family. I would hope they'll be able to stage some sort of rebellion or escape, but the tags seem to imply otherwise... I'll subscribe for now, but back out if I don't like the direction this seems to be going in.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

It seems like it could be angling for social commentary, along with a very literal showing of the anxiety of lesbians forced into marriages with men by their family.

Not just lesbians, women all around the world are being routinely coerced into marriage. There's even countries where rape victims are legally obligated to marry their agressor. The fact that some of them are lesbians and others aren't really doesn't matter, rape is still rape.

joined Jul 3, 2017

This one gives me a really bad feeling. I'll still give it a try, but I want happy yuriiiiii

last edited at Dec 30, 2018 11:58PM

joined Nov 9, 2017

tucking it away in the read-when-stable pile so I don't depress myself, along with a mental note to avoid the comments b/c of course they're gonna be the usual salt about a tragic story. sigh.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

This one gives me a really bad feeling. I'll still give it a try, but I want happy yuriiiiii

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Might I suggest you some fluffy yuri webtoons instead?

joined Jun 17, 2018

Many thanks Chaosteam for bringing up this manga. Have followed the mangaka's works for many years. The gloomy yuri atmosphere of her works has a strange charm for me.

Although this manga is called the most hated yuri manga in Japan, it may have more supporters than haters. Otherwise, it shouldn't be able to last to the latest Chapter14.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think I'm going to be into this, just because it takes something pretty compelling for me to sit still for being depressed. This isn't quite good enough to make up for being outside of my strike zone.

But I do find some of the objections weird. As some have pointed out, it's really not particularly unrealistic--sure, maybe a bit if set in the present minute of Japan, but the time period is vague--there are cars, but I haven't seen any cell phones. Very slightly before the present moment, this is pretty normal except for the lack of euphemisms, and not just in Japan. As politics drifts rightward in various places (half-random example: Hungary) I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of thing make a comeback. Heck, Saudi Arabia is worse than this now.

I also think people are mistaken in thinking the virginity test thing is unrealistic. Sure, it doesn't work, but so what? It's the kind of thing authoritarians are going to convince themselves does work because they want to do something like that. And it's not just that they're sadistic bastards, although why else would they work there? It's because they're exerting control, intimidating, preparing the inmates for the big rape with little ones. It is, in short, exactly what a place like that would do; whether it accomplishes the stated purpose is almost beside the point.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Unpopular opinion here, but I (a queer female who's disparaged her fair share of voyeuristic het-targeted yuri) didn't see anything wrong with this manga?? Now that I've read the comments, I understand why people are outraged. However, the reality is that for the longest time in human history, women have been ritualistically checked for their virginity and marriage has been closely associated with financial gain.

What makes me think this manga is social commentary and not your typical Class S story is that the author depicts 'heterosexual reintegration' with as much joy as watching children die in a meat grinder. The obvious parallels of the girls' approaching marriages with human trafficking can hardly be construed as the author's endorsement of compulsory heterosexuality. The lack of rebellion by the students might be frustrating, sure, but not every story ends with the restoration of justice.

Of course, the rest of the chapters could prove me wrong. Those of you who've read the rest of the manga, I'm curious to hear how it plays out.

Anyway, I hope the translators (if there are any left) haven't been too discouraged by the negative reception. While it's everyone's right to prefer feel-good yuri because the real world's tough as it is, I personally think this site has a place for manga that opens up legitimate discussions, uncomfortable or not.

last edited at Jan 9, 2019 11:41PM

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

Shit story

omg just on on reddit and read about some child abuse stories if u like this stuff

Yeah I don't think am going to read any more of this series, just saw the raw chapter's.

last edited at Jan 12, 2019 10:42AM

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

We strongly advise people who don't enjoy this kind of manga to not read it at all. Honestly I was upset too while working on it but this is the kind of story this is. We won't drop the title unless we don't have time for it anymore so hopefully some readers will keep reading it

Inai hou ga ii ningen
joined May 23, 2018

This is heresy tbh

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

this is pretty good so far.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Death by quotations

joined May 20, 2013

The really sad part is that, on top of the whole human trafficking, terrible families, and adults in general, most of the young characters, the victims, seem to be written so that to make the reader question whether they truly deserve anything better for how they treat others...

Still, thanks for working on it. If it'll have a somewhat positive end, I may read the entire series. Until then I just hope it doesn't take too much time away from other titles.

2c8398570900c5e79edaf431f20173aa
joined Oct 9, 2018

will there any het scene in this story ?

last edited at Jan 12, 2019 11:23AM

joined Jun 21, 2015

So many questions about the premises. I want to like it, yet two chapters are in and the author kept pushing the 'sold to men in power or ended up becoming a prostitute' without adding clarity about the story. And the scene with the class B girls is just a poor excuse to get Chizuru and Mio talked to each other where there are better alternatives to have a meaningful character development.

Not sure where this is gonna go. I might check it once in a while.

And this series is one of examples why I really appreciate the existence of Bloom into you.

21bd50a9-fb4d-47b7-a52f-4864e2af91fc
joined May 8, 2015

That credit page is exactly how I feel after Reading this

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

I don't mind dark stories, but these kind of stories where its just one shitty situation after another (maximum misery) are just a bit too silly for me to care too much about. Its also a bit illogical to keep teaching girls with expensive high quality education if they're only supposed to be prostitutes or trophy wives. I'll keep following this but so far I don't have high hopes for it.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I wonder what their recruitment poster looks like

Come, join or prestigious and exclusive academy, wherein we will train you be the very best [REDACTED] you can possibly be!
Do not worry, even if you are unable to become [REDACTED] you can still manage to be [REDACTED]
So, seize the day! The future is yours!*

*Warning:Your future might not actually be yours.

To reply you must either login or sign up.