Forum › A Room For Two discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Can we please not ship married moms? k thx lol

A) That's not how we roll around here.

B) There's some evidence that both moms may be single. Kasumi's mom has strong flavors of a super busy single mom raising a child on her own. She never mentions a husband, and Kasumi never mentions her dad. You get the impression their family is just the two of them. when Sakurako's mom hurt her back, all the kids were around to help take care of her, but there was no mention of a dad. (not even a "what time does he get off work" or anything) As far as I can tell, we've never had mention of either of their fathers at any point.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

B) There's some evidence that both moms may be single. Kasumi's mom has strong flavors of a super busy single mom raising a child on her own. She never mentions a husband, and Kasumi never mentions her dad. You get the impression their family is just the two of them. when Sakurako's mom hurt her back, all the kids were around to help take care of her, but there was no mention of a dad. (not even a "what time does he get off work" or anything) As far as I can tell, we've never had mention of either of their fathers at any point.

Well then. I can't stop anyone. I just happen to respect pre-existing relationships.

I somehow had the impression that it was even mentioned that Kasumi's mom is single. I think Kasumi said something like "It's just me and my Mom anyway".
The one I assumed is married is Sakurako's mom. I don't really see any counter-evidence to that. That part of her "hurting her back" was so minor that Sakurako felt stupid for even coming over after all. Maybe they did call him and told him it wasn't anything major. Supporting a family of 5 is pretty hard for a single mom, especially one that seems so incredibly lax, so I doubt she could do it. Assumptions upon assumptions either way.

Facts: Sakurako and her sisters (and bro) were born, so a man was most certainly involved. Until there is any evidence or direct mention for it there is no reason to assume they are divorced or that dad is "gone".
Also a fact: If both are single, I am A-ok with this ship.

last edited at Oct 16, 2018 1:21PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well then. I can't stop anyone. I just happen to respect pre-existing relationships.

When we've seen the relationship and know that it's healthy, sure. But in the absence of evidence, our imaginations and shipper's hearts can go wild with the possibilities!

I somehow had the impression that it was even mentioned that Kasumi's mom is single. I think Kasumi said something like "It's just me and my Mom anyway".

I didn't see a specific mention of this in my re-read. She mentions not having siblings several times, but I don't -think- she explicitly says her parents aren't together or that her dad passed away. You do get that impression, though.

The one I assumed is married is Sakurako's mom. I don't really see any counter-evidence to that. That part of her "hurting her back" was so minor that Sakurako felt stupid for even coming over after all. Maybe they did call him and told him it wasn't anything major. Supporting a family of 5 is pretty hard for a single mom, especially one that seems so incredibly lax, so I doubt she could do it. Assumptions upon assumptions either way.

Facts: Sakurako and her sisters (and bro) were born, so a man was most certainly involved. Until there is any evidence or direct mention for it there is no reason to assume they are divorced or that dad is "gone".
Also a fact: If both are single, I am A-ok with this ship.

Sakurako talks about taking care of her younger siblings in a way that is typical of an older sibling that had to step up to help out a single parent, and the lack of any mention or appearance of her dad is conspicuous. It isn't proof by any means, but it leans me in the direction of "He passed away". (It could be a divorce, but given he had four kids with his wife and everybody seems pretty well-adjusted, tragedy seems more likely than family discord) It is totally speculation in the absence of evidence, tho.

The author isn't a fool, of course. They know that Yuri fans will ship any two women that share a panel, so I would be surprised if that page with the two moms walking next to each other wasn't 100% deliberate ship-bait.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

When we've seen the relationship and know that it's healthy, sure. But in the absence of evidence, our imaginations and shipper's hearts can go wild with the possibilities!

I didn't see a specific mention of this in my re-read. She mentions not having siblings several times, but I don't -think- she explicitly says her parents aren't together or that her dad passed away. You do get that impression, though.

Sakurako talks about taking care of her younger siblings in a way that is typical of an older sibling that had to step up to help out a single parent, and the lack of any mention or appearance of her dad is conspicuous. It isn't proof by any means, but it leans me in the direction of "He passed away". (It could be a divorce, but given he had four kids with his wife and everybody seems pretty well-adjusted, tragedy seems more likely than family discord) It is totally speculation in the absence of evidence, tho.

The author isn't a fool, of course. They know that Yuri fans will ship any two women that share a panel, so I would be surprised if that page with the two moms walking next to each other wasn't 100% deliberate ship-bait.

Guess this is why I'm not a shipper then lol

Huh. My mind must have construed her saying that she has no siblings as it only being her and her mom. Oh well.

That's also a typical thing for children with very busy parents. It's quite common in households with two career oriented spouses. The older siblings look after the younger ones either way. Speculation always goes both ways.

Can't really deny that. I've seen countless examples of ship-baiting after all, but sharing the same panel is a bit low on that list... haha

joined Aug 23, 2013

Sakurako's dad is alive and kicking.
When the two go on a new-years visit to Sakurako's home, the dad drives them home from the train station and later back to the station again.
He even worries about them telling 'I hope you two don't fight at home' which gets Sakurako excited and tells Kasumi that she wants to have fight, because they never had one before.

And I hope the subtext tag will be removed soon...

Heck they confess their love to each very nonchalantly later on...
chp 53 even has a kiss initiated by Kasumi. When the manager asks her about her most important person, she can only think about Sakurako.

http://denshi-birz.com/futari-beya/

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 12:18PM

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

When the two go on a new-years visit to Sakurako's home, the dad drives them home from the train station and later back to the station again.
He even worries about them telling 'I hope you two don't fight at home' which gets Sakurako excited and tells Kasumi that she wants to have fight, because they never had one before.

So, both of Sakurako's parents have pretty much given their blessings. Good to know.

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 1:06PM

joined Aug 23, 2013

So, both of Sakurako's parents have pretty much given their blessings. Good to know.

Yes, that's right.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The power of reading ahead is fearsome indeed. So long unlikely one-panel-sharing ship~

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Ah, poo. Oh well.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

chp 53 even has a kiss initiated by Kasumi. When the manager asks her about her most important person, she can only think about Sakurako.

Kasumi has initiated a few kisses already. The candy-swap is one example. Another one is when she tries to kiss Sakurako in order to mix their lip balms. (I mean, you could just swap sticks, but sure, do it by smashing your faces together.)

last edited at Oct 17, 2018 5:40PM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

PS: Just as Salinthrous said they actually "kissed" already in a bonus page, when Kasumi stole the melon candy from Sakurako mouth-to-mouth~

Can someone remind me where this is? Thanks

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Kasumi has initiated a few kisses already. The candy-swap is one example. Another one is when she tries to kiss Sakurako in order to mix their lip balms. (I mean, you could just swap sticks, but sure, do it by smashing your faces together.)

The difference is that those weren't intended as kisses. When we talk about initiating a kiss we mean with the intent to kiss Sakurako.

PS: Just as Salinthrous said they actually "kissed" already in a bonus page, when Kasumi stole the melon candy from Sakurako mouth-to-mouth~

Can someone remind me where this is? Thanks

Oh wow, I wrote that quite a few pages back lol
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch12#4

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

JESUS CHRIST

Hmm just noticed a few days ago that this was ongoing and I stopped reading since chapter 4 or stuff back then... wow I missed lots of stuff

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The first English volume of Futaribeya arrived in my mail today.
The translation seems fairly similar to the one on this site and feels spot on. It doesn't shy away from the "subtext" at all. The only problem is that the panels go very deep into the center of the double-page, so you gotta stretch the book a bit. Other than that, very nice.
Can only recommend buying it!

Ad brought to you by some random idiot on the web.

last edited at Oct 25, 2018 12:00PM

Rumia_full_1227580
joined Oct 10, 2018

The translation seems fairly similar to the one on this site and feels spot on. It doesn't shy away from the "subtext" at all. The only problem is that the panels go very deep into the center of the double-page, so you gotta stretch the book a bit. Other than that, very nice.

Well ill check it out then. I'm glad somebody bought it and sacrificed their time for it.

I was worried they would distance from the subtext/yuri.

Which would then enrage me and cause me to summon the Eldtricht Abomination of Yuri from the depths of the sea.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Don't do those kind of things!! ....
.... We're both girls! - yuri bait
.... We're outside! - yuri

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Yay, a wedding scene for Sakurako and Kasumi in the extras! Too bad it was just a dream. Hope it becomes real in the future. (Just a wish, as they seem comfortable enough with each other not to need it...)

last edited at Oct 27, 2018 11:46PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So Yukiko has been reading Hachi Itou's works?

Also, those extra were cute.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I wanna know what happened in the bath whe the light was out Q.Q lol

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Jesus Christ, Sakurako is the Chaotic Lesbian

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

The Kohai pair is gay, but Sakurako and Kasumi outgay them in every possible way

67413148_p0
joined Jan 22, 2016

Well ill check it out then. I'm glad somebody bought it and sacrificed their time for it.

I was worried they would distance from the subtext/yuri.

Which would then enrage me and cause me to summon the Eldtricht Abomination of Yuri from the depths of the sea.

Yeah, it's as gay as the source.
That said, I'm not the biggest fan of it. Ignoring the lousy cleaning/redrawing (or the lack of) and typesetting that most adaptions suffer from, there are some things that bug me.

I think they over localized the thing. I'm not a fan of reversed name and I miss the honorifics. Also, some fonts, especially the one used of the cover, are somewhat questionable.

That being said, I will still buy the next volumes just because it's Futaribeya.
__

Back to the topic, I look forward to seeing more of Seri and Shouko.
Outgoing Tomboy x Shy rich girl is simply great.

last edited at Oct 28, 2018 3:42AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I can't help but think Kasumi really loves Sakurako's love handles.

Seri and Shouko are taking it slow I see, but that's cool. They don't get nearly as much focus, so it will take a while. I'm surprised the spicy curry didn't do much to Seri, usually you'd expect an overreaction, especially from a rich girl. lol

Yeah, it's as gay as the source.
That said, I'm not the biggest fan of it. Ignoring the lousy cleaning/redrawing (or the lack of) and typesetting that most adaptions suffer from, there are some things that bug me.

I think they over localized the thing. I'm not a fan of reversed name and I miss the honorifics. Also, some fonts, especially the one used of the cover, are somewhat questionable.

That being said, I will still buy the next volumes just because it's Futaribeya.

That's not overlocalizing anything, that's normal. Every manga that keeps honorifics or the reverse name structure is the odd one out. I guess a case for honorifics can be made (as it often is really hard to make the subtleties work otherwise), but reversing the names? Come on.

The only stuff I didn't see cleaned and redrawn were sound effects. They just put the English version below it, as it's so often done.

last edited at Oct 28, 2018 5:41AM

67413148_p0
joined Jan 22, 2016

That's not overlocalizing anything, that's normal. Every manga that keeps honorifics or the reverse name structure is the odd one out. I guess a case for honorifics can be made (as it often is really hard to make the subtleties work otherwise), but reversing the names? Come on.

Hmm... the overwhelming majority of physical releases I have keep the honorifics and names. Maybe I was just lucky, though.
I prefer the honorifics because they often have a meaning and that gets completely lost. (How close the characters to each other and stuff)
It's not this manga, and I'm not sure which it was, but I remember reading a manga which had a scene where a couple decided to change their way of addressing each other, from -san to -chan or to nothing at all. That's usually a huge deal
in relationships, but thanks to the localization, nothing actually changed and the whole chapter was just confusing as heck.

Also, it's a personal opinion, that's why I said it bugs me and not that it's shit.

The only stuff I didn't see cleaned and redrawn were sound effects. They just put the English version below it, as it's so often done.

Yeah, that was just a general complaint because scanlators often do a much better job.

last edited at Oct 28, 2018 6:04AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.