Forum › Their Story discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Not sure if anyone's talked about it already but have y'all noticed Sun Jing getting significantly more masculine-looking over time? She'd always earned the tomboy tag and was more facially boyish looking than the other female characters from the beginning but wow she looks like a guy now.
I'm sure it's right up a lot of people's alleys but it's not my thing at all and has lowered my enjoyment.
Has it made a difference to anybody else, or even been noticable?

I wanted to comment on this before responding to the post below: this is a fair statement, because it's entirely about your personal preference and you don't make any broad statements about how girls -should- look or what yuri should be.

Honestly, her design hasn't changed that much, but when the author jumps into the future, she's got a short haircut that changes the framing of her features a lot, so that's probably what you're noticing. If you look at the way Tan Jiu actually draws guys for the most part, she's still pretty far away from that.

Yeah, also noticed that she's slowly looking more like a he. This is why I particularly loathes the tomboy trope nowadays, which is luckily being reduced in comparison to the days of old but it's still there. Just make up your mind already, either make a yuri or a het romance series. If it's yuri then perhaps at least make that so called tomboy a bit more feminine? She's still supposed to be a girl in the end.

Sooo, I don't want to start a big flame war in these comments, but there is a lot about this that really rubs me the wrong way.

It is really crappy of you to suggest that someone isn't a girl, or that the author should make a "het romance series" just because one of the characters looks boyish.

It is REALLY crappy of you to suggest that a girl isn't a girl just because they look boyish.

Sun Jing is a girl, and she has a girlfriend. This is yuri. This is a cute comic about a cute queer relationship between two lovable chinese dorks. If you don't like Sun Jing's look when the author jumps forward for a post-haircut strip here and there, then, well, deal with it. Sun Jing and Tan Jiu don't owe you anything.

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 10:14AM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Before the first chapter there were some illustrations and Sun Jing was more boyish back then. That was like 4 years ago. Sun Jing hang out with boys mostly and acted like them from the start. I think the opposite, she became more girly after meeting Qui Tong. This has been going for like 5 years I think author made up her mind. Random chapters and time skips bugs me more but I still like it

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

https://dynasty-scans.com/images/2832 very girly

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 12:39PM

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Is this another out-of-sequence/one-off chapter? Or is the amusement park arc over already?
Now that we finally have a story arc again, I'm paranoid that it'll get dropped...

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 2:13PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

It's that autumn moon-watching thing they do in Asia y'know. I-it's not like I only know about it from MMO seasonal events or anything

joined Apr 18, 2018

@Heavenruns : People like you who took comment way too seriously and started feeding words into my own message really need to chill the fuck down because I'm not enforcing any belief of my own into another person's throat and, you know what? I ain't even bothering to respond properly because your hostility is a whole blown nutcase. Feel free to start a new flame wars elsewhere.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@Heavenruns : People like you who took comment way too seriously and started feeding words into my own message really need to chill the fuck down because I'm not enforcing any belief of my own into another person's throat and, you know what? I ain't even bothering to respond properly because your hostility is a whole blown nutcase. Feel free to start a new flame wars elsewhere.

Of course people like you don’t like to be called out when you want to enforce gender norms. It’s no big deal for you to say, “If it's yuri then perhaps at least make that so called tomboy a bit more feminine?”

For non-gender-conforming people—people who want to be able to walk down the street as tomboys, or to look feminine, or not, the way they want to be without getting mocked or attacked because they don’t look the way some jerkoff thinks they’re “supposed” to look—there’s no such thing as “taking it too seriously.”

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Maybe not escalate this further, everyone?

That would be lovely.

joined Apr 10, 2014

Anyone ever knock on people's door QT style? I wanna try that.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

A flashforward

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Maybe not escalate this further, everyone?

That would be lovely.

Can I stick my tongue out at them and make funny faces?

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 10:13PM

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

what happen after the story "Their Story: 22/12/2017 update" when Mo Xiaonan stop Sun Jin to meet Qui Tong, and Mo Xiaonan cry in front of her..

p.s. I've been following this story for almost 4years

All we know is that sometime after that, Sun Jing showed up to meet QT and was sad about something. Later we saw Mo shoot a grumpy look at SJ in class. Not much we can really say for sure beyond that. The author decided to move on from it, apparently.

In my opinion, this was the perfect move. I don't like when random romance drama arcs appear just for the sake of it in order to make the story longer. (i'm looking at you Citrus).

joined Sep 6, 2018

I’ve lost interest in this series. The censorship killed it for me. From now on, I’ll have to be on the lookout for yuri from China and skip reading it as the yuri will all go vanilla in plot and resolution (think of Stretch manga).

Images
joined Aug 14, 2016

what happen after the story "Their Story: 22/12/2017 update" when Mo Xiaonan stop Sun Jin to meet Qui Tong, and Mo Xiaonan cry in front of her..

p.s. I've been following this story for almost 4years

All we know is that sometime after that, Sun Jing showed up to meet QT and was sad about something. Later we saw Mo shoot a grumpy look at SJ in class. Not much we can really say for sure beyond that. The author decided to move on from it, apparently.

In my opinion, this was the perfect move. I don't like when random romance drama arcs appear just for the sake of it in order to make the story longer. (i'm looking at you Citrus).

@theMichael
i agree to your opinion wink wink
Since "Citrus" gave me mixed emotions and wait for another chapter.. Actually this is better, but i feel about "that" chapter has been cut off. Well, anyway everybody loves happy/lovely story after all..

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Small pet peeve but I'm slightly irritated whenever comic authors try their best to portray their characters overly cute in an attempt to evoke an "awwww" response from readers. Whether visually with comedic SD-drawn panels or with intentionally awkward lines. It comes off a bit inauthentic and cringe and I feel that has been happening a lot recently as the story grinds to a halt.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I want to say i still like this series a lot and i love slice of life where they're already a couple. Also tomboys with gfs really are a thing, I know one where I live, and girls with that look are a BIG thing in china:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2017/oct/15/li-yuchun-meet-the-pop-star-taking-gender-neutral-style-to-china

Li Yuchun/Chris Lee is my favorite Chinese singer. her main fanbase is girls. Her story is very inspring, too.

In context my guess is Sun Jing will dress and style herself however Qiu Tong wants her to.

The art before "S & Q Start with (their) name" (which is the main title of this) before the regular episodes all had a stylish, short-haired Sun Jing. If you remember it, it's very beautiful.

I am fine with being past the drama and focusing on their relationship. I was a huge fan of wife and wife and chatting at the amber tea shop.

last edited at Sep 27, 2018 4:07PM

joined Oct 3, 2018

It is really crappy of you to suggest that someone isn't a girl, or that the author should make a "het romance series" just because one of the characters looks boyish.

It is REALLY crappy of you to suggest that a girl isn't a girl just because they look boyish.

Sun Jing is a girl, and she has a girlfriend. This is yuri. This is a cute comic about a cute queer relationship between two lovable chinese dorks. If you don't like Sun Jing's look when the author jumps forward for a post-haircut strip here and there, then, well, deal with it. Sun Jing and Tan Jiu don't owe you anything.

I have to disagree with that.

Yeah if Sun Jing is a girl in real life, even if she look like a dude, act like a dude, she is still a girl because there are so many other things to define a person's gender.

However, Sun Jing is just a fictional character, if the only thing makes her a girl is the author said that, then she failed to create a female character. In my opinion, Sun Jing look girly enough, but other than that, she is just like a dude, her dressing, her personality, how she acts, and even the behavior of everyone around her, etc, bring that feeling. I can describe some:

• Every girls in the series wear a ribbon, but she wear a necktie like other dudes. I'm talking about the school uniform, why the author do this? To indicate that she is 'different' from every other girls?
  • All of Sun Jing's friends are dudes. Sun Jing's friends also treat her like a real dude: swearing, jokingly hit her, and no one ever falls for her.
  • You can see any person falls for Sun Jing is always a girl. She only attracts girls, the attractiveness is insane, like "Oh, look at this girl over here, she's so tall, she's so handsome blushing, hey Qiu Tong, please give me her number". Did I say "always a girl"? Yeah, in this series, no dude bat an eye on Sun Jing, only girls, while Qiu Tong only attracts dudes.

Those all bring me a feeling of a het story, like the author firstly create a het story in her mind, then she decided to change the male character to female, because if it's het, it'll be too boring to get popular. To be fair, there are several chapters which Sun Jing has some unique feminine feature, such as she groped a girl and framed Mophead, or tricked Mophead to a girl toilet, but they are all at the very beginning of the story and there aren't any chapter like that anymore.

I know that in some story with tomboy character, the character may have some masculine feature, but Sun Jing is too much, enough to make me always think of a dude despite of her girly appearance.

last edited at Oct 4, 2018 12:11AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Those all bring me a feeling of a het story, like the author firstly create a het story in her mind, then she decided to change the male character to female, because if it's het, it'll be too boring to get popular. To be fair, there are several chapters which Sun Jing is acceptably girly, such as she groped a girl and framed Mophead, or tricked Mophead to a girl toilet, but they are all at the very beginning of the story and there aren't any chapter like that anymore.

I know that in some story with tomboy character, the character may have some masculine feature, but Sun Jing is too much, enough to make me always think of a dude despite of her girly appearance.

How you think and feel about what counts as "acceptably girly" is entirely a matter that occurs inside your head, so knock yourself out as you see fit.

But the character in the story identifies herself as female, the other characters identify her as female, and the whole plot and the character interactions would be changed entirely if Sun Jing were a "dude."

joined Oct 3, 2018

How you think and feel about what counts as "acceptably girly" is entirely a matter that occurs inside your head, so knock yourself out as you see fit.

"Acceptably girly" is not really a right word as my English is bad, I'm sorry about that. What I mean is "unique feature that a male character can't have", including "the situation that only happens to girls". In this story, after several first chapters, Sun Jing doesn't even have any "feminine features", leave alone the "unique", other than her appearance.

This is a personal matter, so just count it as I'm sharing my own opinion, but to me, if a female character doesn't have those "unique feminine features", but has too much "masculine features (not unique tho)", then her love story with a girl isn't really a yuri.

But the character in the story identifies herself as female, the other characters identify her as female,

You know, the "identifies" thing in a fictional story is just "the author tell us" thing, if she doesn't have anything to prove it other than the character's appearance, then it's just a case of "believe me she's a girl", that's totally a bad character creation.

and the whole plot and the character interactions would be changed entirely if Sun Jing were a "dude."

I don't think so. As I said, and listed, everyone treats Sun Jing like a dude, there is nothing like "I normally talk and do this things to guys, but I won't do this to her because she is a girl", nope, not a single page has this. While Qiu Tong or any other female character is treated like a what you usually see people treat a girl.

If you cut off several first chapters which has "unique feminine feature" I mentioned above, then change her appearance to a dude, as well as have other refer her as "he" instead of "she", the story is still valid.
Just quoting my post in last page in case anyone want to follow up the conversation

Yeah if Sun Jing is a girl in real life, even if she look like a dude, act like a dude, she is still a girl because there are so many other things to define a person's gender.

However, Sun Jing is just a fictional character, if the only thing makes her a girl is the author said that, then she failed to create a female character. In my opinion, Sun Jing look girly enough, but other than that, she is just like a dude, her dressing, her personality, how she acts, and even the behavior of everyone around her, etc, bring that feeling. I can describe some:

• Every girls in the series wear a ribbon, but she wear a necktie like other dudes. I'm talking about the school uniform, why the author do this? To indicate that she is 'different' from every other girls?
  • All of Sun Jing's friends are dudes. Sun Jing's friends also treat her like a real dude: swearing, jokingly hit her, and no one ever falls for her.
  • You can see any person falls for Sun Jing is always a girl. She only attracts girls, the attractiveness is insane, like "Oh, look at this girl over here, she's so tall, she's so handsome blushing, hey Qiu Tong, please give me her number". Did I say "always a girl"? Yeah, in this series, no dude bat an eye on Sun Jing, only girls, while Qiu Tong only attracts dudes.

Those all bring me a feeling of a het story, like the author firstly create a het story in her mind, then she decided to change the male character to female, because if it's het, it'll be too boring to get popular. To be fair, there are several chapters which Sun Jing has some unique feminine feature, such as she groped a girl and framed Mophead, or tricked Mophead to a girl toilet, but they are all at the very beginning of the story and there aren't any chapter like that anymore.

last edited at Oct 4, 2018 12:16PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"Acceptably girly" is not really a right word as my English is bad, I'm sorry about that. What I mean is "unique feature that a male character can't have", including "the situation that only happens to girls". In this story, after several first chapters, Sun Jing doesn't even have any "feminine features", leave alone the "unique", other than her appearance.

You keep thinking you’re making some sort of aesthetic argument about the story when you’re actually just spouting off about binary gender norms.

You’ve convinced one person—yourself—and that’s all you’re likely to ever achieve with this line of “thought.”

joined Oct 3, 2018

You keep thinking you’re making some sort of aesthetic argument about the story when you’re actually just spouting off about binary gender norms.

You’ve convinced one person—yourself—and that’s all you’re likely to ever achieve with this line of “thought.”

I know that when a person going "lalala I'm right, You're wrong, lalala" instead of using something convincing, like details of the story to backup his argument, the conversation should end right there.

I also lost interest in discussing with you, and I think you feel the same, so we should stop, just ignore my comment. Have a nice weekend mate.

last edited at Oct 4, 2018 12:15PM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

1- HOLD IT TIGHT!
2- DON'T LET ANYONE TOUCH IT!
3- MAKE IT FEEL CONFORTABLE!
4- KEEP IT CLEAN!
5- RETURN SAFELY!

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

The faces are weird again...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The faces are weird again...

What exactly do you mean by that?

I just re-read almost all of this series not too long ago, and I think their faces have always been highly variable, depending on the tone of the individual scene, or even in differing shots/expressions within scenes (and I don't just mean regular vs. chibi style).

For example, QT's nose can seem longer and more pointed depending on whether she's supposed to be doing a comic take on SJ goofing around or she's being seen in a "beauty shot," but I think that's been true all along.

So I'd just like to hear more specifically what you think has changed in the drawing.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Yey is finally on this site~ SJ is so nice to her! And the intense licking of the lollipop lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.