Forum › We Can't Draw Love discussion

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

I looked more closely at that Sui guy's neck, in the recent chapter and in the last one too. It seems that he doesn't really have Adam's apple compared to his brother, for example, and this difference is always showed forced, as if author wants us to notice it. Strange... I feel that she's a woman.

joined Nov 21, 2017

Go away het! Just leave us live pacefully in our lettle peace of world

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

On the discussion of mixers, I do agree that it's a bit stereotypical, but I don't hate it.

What would be interesting to see, though, is a lesbian-oriented mixer. Could mix (lol) up the formula a bit.

At any rate, this premise is deliciously painful and appeals to my inner masochist. I can't wait for more.

last edited at Sep 22, 2018 8:11AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

What would be interesting to see, though, is a lesbian-oriented mixer. Could mix (lol) up the formula a bit.

But can you really call it a mixer if it's entirely lesbians?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

As always with this "pretending to be a couple for material" stories I just find the premise a bit forced. I never stabbed someone with a sword, but I can still draw it due to reference material all over.

That aside, the most recent chapter sure ended on an interesting cliffhanger. There are pretty much only two routes this can go. Either he is gay (unrequited/hidden love similar to Kano-chan's) or he is a she. Fraternal twins maybe. Makes you wonder why she was introduced as a guy then.

Or that could all be completely off and the twist will be something out of left field. We'll see~

last edited at Sep 22, 2018 8:26AM

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

haha yessss i knew it!! glad it took this turn! im kinda exited for the next chapter now ^.^

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Did he use watashi? Oh... it's either he's a gay or he is a she and a butch...well...

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Do men use watashi? I've seen gay guys using ''boku" but never "watashi".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

mei is waifu posted:

Do men use watashi? I've seen gay guys using ''boku" but never "watashi".

It was just an easy way for the author to get their point across: he's probably gay or a girl inside.

It's a yuri manga, not a bara manga. The author doesn't care about how real gays speak.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018
  1. Poor eyebrow-chan
  2. That dude (?) definitely wants to bone his brother
  3. Blondie’s and Eyebrow-chan’s outfits are always so cute. It’s nice when artists dress up their characters with clothes from this era

last edited at Sep 22, 2018 10:01AM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Wow, this is almost unheard of all the dudes are alright. One of them might even be a confederate.
It is so nice to see guys in a yuri manga who aren't complete rat bastards

joined Feb 23, 2016

He’s gay too? (●´ω`●)

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014
  1. Poor eyebrow-chan
  2. That dude (?) definitely wants to bone his brother
  3. Blondie’s and Eyebrow-chan’s outfits are always so cute. It’s nice when artists dress up their characters with clothes from this era

Beat me to it...

Ve_honoka
joined Sep 8, 2018

That dude (?) definitely wants to bone his brother

There's still the third guy, I guess I'll read it again and watch out for clues now that we know what's up with them.

Edit: I don't think there are hints either way. We saw more of the brother because "eyebrows-chan" was jealous, but IMO there were no hints towards the twin's target.

last edited at Sep 22, 2018 12:07PM

Sayo2
joined Jul 11, 2018

Okay, 1: That cliffhanger completely boosted my feelings on this series. Before, I was just reading it because, "Eh, it's yuri, might as well read it", and some of the earlier chapters were actually an absolute slog to get through, but now I'm actually interested.
2: I'm kinda disappointed at how everyone's going "Is he really a girl?!" instead of "Is he trans?!" because. Like. He's pretty clearly at least PRESENTING as male. And the idea that trans themes might come up is a big part of why my interest has been so heavily boosted. I'm not SUPER disappointed or anything, it's not like this is outright transphobia, it's just a little annoying as a trans person to see people talking about boys "secretly being girls" in reference to the idea that someone who presents as male might actually have a vagina.
3: BUT, a way to make him "secretly a girl" that I actually WOULD be totally into would be if he's actually a transWOMAN who still hasn't come out of the closet to anyone including her family and friends and thus is still presenting as male for now. It'd make the whole "watashi" thing a bit more appropriate, too (since, if he IS a transman or just gay, I'd interpret the "watashi" thing as a well-meaning but flawed attempt at hinting at that). And hey, maybe some of you actually meant this when you talked about him "secretly being a girl," in which case you're cool.
4: On the topic of "guys using watashi," I've seen plenty of male businessmen and politicians use it. After all, it's typically the most "formal" one. When I was learning Japanese in high school, our teacher generally encouraged us to consider "watashi" the default, and also discouraged using "ore" at all; in both cases, it was because she didn't want any of us to make any accidental faux pas by accidentally using a pronoun that wasn't formal enough for the situation.

joined May 25, 2017

... perhaps incoming transgender and incest tags... wonder how thisll go down

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

... perhaps incoming transgender and incest tags... wonder how thisll go down

What are they doing in a mixer then? Beard-hunting?

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Hmm. Well, "watashi" is used for any formal speech by male or female alike. Although in this setting, and with them being teens and all, I guess it can be quite controversial since every other male was using "ore" or "boku".

Either way, I wonder what Sui meant with "alike". Alike in a way that both of them likes girls...or Miyu? I'd like them to be allies tho. Maybe a plot device to make Miyu jealous or smtn.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

2: I'm kinda disappointed at how everyone's going "Is he really a girl?!" instead of "Is he trans?!" because. Like. He's pretty clearly at least PRESENTING as male. And the idea that trans themes might come up is a big part of why my interest has been so heavily boosted. I'm not SUPER disappointed or anything, it's not like this is outright transphobia, it's just a little annoying as a trans person to see people talking about boys "secretly being girls" in reference to the idea that someone who presents as male might actually have a vagina.
3: BUT, a way to make him "secretly a girl" that I actually WOULD be totally into would be if he's actually a transWOMAN who still hasn't come out of the closet to anyone including her family and friends and thus is still presenting as male for now. It'd make the whole "watashi" thing a bit more appropriate, too (since, if he IS a transman or just gay, I'd interpret the "watashi" thing as a well-meaning but flawed attempt at hinting at that). And hey, maybe some of you actually meant this when you talked about him "secretly being a girl," in which case you're cool.

We are all already jumping to conclusions here as it is. It's just statistically more likely that he is just gay than being a trans person. And tomboys are a rather common trope in yuri too. So maybe don't act like not jumping even further away with predictions was a problem? The main reason people voiced these predictions is because that's just more likely and they didn't think of an even odder twist with so little to go on.

If this doesn't turn out to be a trans man or woman now, then you'd kinda look really silly for acting disappointed in people's normal predictions like this, just sayin'. Wishful thinking is fine, but I'm not really happy with these kinds of backhanded remarks.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Watch as the only thing they're the same in is being in love with Miyu, dashing all hopes and dreams and ending up with another tired story about a straight cis guy as the rival competing for the affection of the heroine's childhood friend/best friend.

I mean, I HOPE not, but I've read a few yuri manga in my time and at this point I find it's best to just assume there'll be terribly cliched drama ending with a terribly cliched resolution.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

But can you really call it a mixer if it's entirely lesbians?

Hmm... half-butch half-femme mixer, perhaps?

I looked more closely at that Sui guy's neck, in the recent chapter and in the last one too. It seems that he doesn't really have Adam's apple compared to his brother, for example, and this difference is always showed forced, as if author wants us to notice it. Strange... I feel that she's a woman.

... whoa.

Good call there. I hadn't noticed it at all. You're absolutely right: when Ren and Sui are standing next to each other, the author makes a point of drawing Ren with a very visible Adam's apple on his neck, while Sui has nothing. I was persuaded that Sui was gay, but, now that you pointed out that thing with their Adam's apples, it's clear that "he" will turn out to be a "she" who happens to be a natural otokoyaku.

My question at this point is: what was Murata thinking, bringing a woman to a mixer as one of the guys? Don't tell me he doesn't know that his friend Ren's one sibling is not a brother but a sister?

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Called it

Sayo2
joined Jul 11, 2018

We are all already jumping to conclusions here as it is. It's just statistically more likely that he is just gay than being a trans person. And tomboys are a rather common trope in yuri too. So maybe don't act like not jumping even further away with predictions was a problem? The main reason people voiced these predictions is because that's just more likely and they didn't think of an even odder twist with so little to go on.

If this doesn't turn out to be a trans man or woman now, then you'd kinda look really silly for acting disappointed in people's normal predictions like this, just sayin'. Wishful thinking is fine, but I'm not really happy with these kinds of backhanded remarks.

I feel like I've been a little misunderstood here. Again, I'm only a little disappointed. I know this is all speculation, and honestly? I'm only disappointed because I've had some pretty good experiences when it comes to transgender issues on Dynasty. If this were some other manga site, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Hell, on some sites, I'd honestly expect far worse.

And also, yeah, that's statistically more likely... but it'd also totally ruin it for me even worse than when I just thought it was kinda boring. I won't get into the actually transphobic implications of the trope because I'm not nearly good enough at explaining things like that, but needless to say, I'd be hurt if it did go down that road. Not hurt enough that I'd call the author a bad person or anything, but hurt enough to be like, "Oh, come on, seriously?".

In retrospect, I was probably more concerned about that possibility than about people speculating about the possibility and took it out on the wrong target, and for THAT, I apologize. Although, I will say that the "backhanded-ness" was completely unintentional- what I was TRYING to do was voice that I was discontent, but not SUPER discontent. And honestly, one of the only reasons I even DID post it is because I've had no spine for most of my life and I'm trying to force myself to just be a LITTLE bit more reckless. The consequence of that is sometimes making myself look silly, but I've decided I'm willing to live with that if it means not taking five days to decide to do literally everything in life.

(PS: Assuming you ARE the BugDevil I'm thinking of (I mean, same username, an interest in yuri, and a Neptunia icon definitely indicate that), I like your NepNowa fics. You're, like, one of the six people I follow on FFN.)

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I... kinda don't want to get into a dangerous discussion.
Otherwise, the chapter was kinda nice. I wonder what's coming next.

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

This chapter was so danger-close to het, I was frowning the whole time, but that cliffhanger sucked me back in. I'm once again on-board

To reply you must either login or sign up.