Forum › Living with My Brother's Wife. discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I get why this doesn't have a yuri tag, but seriously what is up with the lack of one for subtext?

Also, this is a great little manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I get why this doesn't have a yuri tag, but seriously what is up with the lack of one for subtext?

Also, this is a great little manga.

I don’t know how tags are assigned (and don’t really have much investment in it one way or the other), but my impression is that it’s not clear where the story is going and if one or the other or both characters will ever kick their own understanding of their feelings up a notch. The same amount of intimacy & affection certainly earns the tag in more straightforwardly yuri-lite SOL stories like New Game.

Just on my own sense of things (as opposed to whatever an official Dynasty tag means), I’d say that at the moment they’re quivering right at the boundary of subtext, and a half-step either way would make all the difference.

“Why does my heart go doki-doki when I’m around this person?” can be the best question in the world.

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 8:14AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I mean, they say stuff like "this photo could be captioned with 'we just got married'". If that's not subtexty I don't know what is; but then in my personal opinion subtext-tag is cancer and should be purged.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I really think a romantic relationship between Shino and Nozomi would be a mistake by the author. The arc of the story is the formation of a family when the initial bond between them is traumatically torn away. At the start, the only goal either of them has was to not be an imposition on the other. Shino wanted to grow up and get a job quickly so as not to be a burden on Nozomi, who she suspected didn't want the responsibility. Nozomi, on the other hand, didn't know whether Shino wanted her in her life at all, much less be a caretaker.

Watching them grow closer to the point that they can demand of each other to not hide their problems has been very satisfying to watch. That there's still ambiguity on whether they are creating a older/younger sister bond or a mother-daughter bond is interesting (translator's comment notwithstanding). For this to switch to a romantic relationship would risk erasing the complex family dynamic for an easy way out of the story--especially if the story ends when the romantic relationship begins (like 99% of all romantic stories in all mediums).

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

I liked the art in first chapters more but we get more random psycho looks in new art. Sometimes they remind me Love/Death.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean, they say stuff like "this photo could be captioned with 'we just got married'". If that's not subtexty I don't know what is; but then in my personal opinion subtext-tag is cancer and should be purged.

I actually find tag-angst in the discussion forum to be rather amusing, so I'm fine with it. Part of the fun in this one is just how far the idea that there could be a sexual-attraction component to their relationship is from the consciousness of either character.

Sleeping together while holding hands--sure, mother/daughter, big sis/little sis, whatever.

So how about if they decide that it's fine to sleep together but they're really more comfortable sleeping in the nude? Isn't that fine too? And goodnight kisses? Perfectly normal. Checking each others' breasts for lumps? Medically recommended, and best done regularly. lol

(Actually, this one is so well-written that I'm OK with whatever the author wants to do, romance or otherwise.)

Itzameapotterhead
Img_pzb2xa
joined Jul 4, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/living_with_my_brothers_wife_ch01#7
Hey, it's SIF. I'm a littled annoyed that he has mixed attributes in a team

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Ah, I see they are redrawing Stretch.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Sleeping together while holding hands--sure, mother/daughter, big sis/little sis, whatever.

So how about if they decide that it's fine to sleep together but they're really more comfortable sleeping in the nude? Isn't that fine too? And goodnight kisses? Perfectly normal. Checking each others' breasts for lumps? Medically recommended, and best done regularly. lol

(Actually, this one is so well-written that I'm OK with whatever the author wants to do, romance or otherwise.)

Ha. That's what makes "A Date with Angel (and other things that aren't supposed to happen)", that lesfic comedy, so hilarious. Because the heroine basically justifies her entire relationship (although she'd protest that there's no relationship) by ever escalating "this is totally normal" excuses ...

As for romance versus the rare treat of female-friendship - I could see romance working if the scope is huge and it goes into college years and possibly beyond. If not I think they have plenty of other things to keep them occupied. Heck, even if they hook up with other people it'd be interesting to see how they deal with that. Realistically, at some point they'd move apart again, after all ...

e: dat volume 5 cover picture ...

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 11:35AM

joined Sep 3, 2018

I know that their sweet relationship as sisters is fine and whatever but i cant see nozomi and shino going out with other people unless its the two of them... its kinda hard to see them with other people when they got each other on beforehand

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Chapter 31 will make such a cute subplot if it's what it looks like.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Peeking in here because yeah holy shit @ 40+ chapters

That said I'm more curious about the Drama tag, because everyone here is saying it's feel good and warm and etc.

What're your thoughts on that tag, folks?

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Peeking in here because yeah holy shit @ 40+ chapters

That said I'm more curious about the Drama tag, because everyone here is saying it's feel good and warm and etc.

What're your thoughts on that tag, folks?

There is drama, but it's extremely slow and drawn out between chapters, so the manga isn't a dramatic manga.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Right now for the most part the drama is basically just that the brother is dead.

If I wanted to be suspicious I'd say that the drama will be at some point about the younger one getting a boyfriend - namely her co-worker at her part-time job - and the older one having become emotionally too dependent on her; and unable to cope with being "left behind". I think there's at least some hints that some characters consider her behavior to be somehow unhealthy, so I wouldn't be surprised if The End would be about "moving on" which might very well mean they'll both also physically move away (from each other).

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

I think there is drama, remember the Obon chapter or yukata chapter.Drama mostly hits at the end of chapters. Both girls depend on each other but still scared of losing the other one. If they gonna freak out that much they should become lovers. That way they won't have to check other one got a boyfriend or not.

joined May 20, 2013

Stretch

It reminds me of Stretch, too. It's very good, it's very ambiguous where it'll go, and there is a great chance there won't be a yuri ending. (Despite all the subtext, they so far don't seem to be thinking about having a girlfriend ever as a realistic option.) Loss and helping each other to move on also seems to be a common theme in both, so a very similar ending wouldn't be surprising. A yuri one would be nice, and not entirely unfitting in my opinion – once they both move on – but it'd require a lot of development from where they are. (The last chapter seemed to be burying that possibility even deeper.)

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 3:27PM

joined Sep 28, 2017

The story have much potential, and the art is great, But I'll only comeback if the magical tag YURI eventually appears. I'm crossing all my fingers for it

I really think a romantic relationship between Shino and Nozomi would be a mistake by the author. The arc of the story is the formation of a family when the initial bond between them is traumatically torn away. At the start, the only goal either of them has was to not be an imposition on the other. Shino wanted to grow up and get a job quickly so as not to be a burden on Nozomi, who she suspected didn't want the responsibility. Nozomi, on the other hand, didn't know whether Shino wanted her in her life at all, much less be a caretaker.

Watching them grow closer to the point that they can demand of each other to not hide their problems has been very satisfying to watch. That there's still ambiguity on whether they are creating a older/younger sister bond or a mother-daughter bond is interesting (translator's comment notwithstanding). For this to switch to a romantic relationship would risk erasing the complex family dynamic for an easy way out of the story--especially if the story ends when the romantic relationship begins (like 99% of all romantic stories in all mediums).

Your opinion and analysis are great, it gave a new perspective on the work, but then why make it all subtexty? Why enter into that territory? Wouldn't it be better with a simpler family like relationship instead of a cuasi romantic one?

This. Call me purityfag but I tend to avoid all subtext works. Its all or nothing for me. I mean, why don't make it clear without all the "hidden messages" and "non verbal communication" that leads to nothing? I don't want to waste time in a "MAYBE" when I can have a YES (or even a NO).

The same goes for IRL relationships.

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 4:08PM

joined Dec 28, 2015

What a nice series, I just binge-read all the chapters in one sitting. Kind of a shame that there doesn't seem like there will be any actual yuri but honestly it's enjoyable enough that I don't mind too much.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

It definitely started subtext-y with them both picking up girls. :)

And last chapter so far is heavy subtext too

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 7:33PM

joined Jul 19, 2018

I actually find tag-angst in the discussion forum to be rather amusing, so I'm fine with it. Part of the fun in this one is just how far the idea that there could be a sexual-attraction component to their relationship is from the consciousness of either character.

I'm certainly not part of the torch and pitch fork crowd when it comes to all romances or dramas needing to be yuri flavored and actually tend to appreciate more realistic stories like this one where men not only exist but they aren't all evil stalkers and wife beaters and not all women are lesbians. Having said this, I think its a shame when good stories like this don't even get a chance to be read by the yuri purists simply because it lacks a tag.

I mean how could stuff like referring to the woman you live with as your wife, swearing to stay together and take care of one another as they get older, joking about fondling each others boobs while naked and getting rabidly jealous at the mere thought of the other dating a guy etc. be considered anything less than subtext?

I'm not going to lose sleep over how something on here gets tagged, but it would be nice if there was some consistency.

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 9:01PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Pyoro posted:

After reading the comments I didn't think it could possibly be ... but it's basically Nettaigyo: Widow-hen.
Definitely Not Lizard.

Not lizard indeed!!!

Oh wow I didn't thought we would see this here... I've been reading this since the first chapter came out translated, thank you very much -anq for translating the new chapters!!! I love this veeeery much!!

See? THIS is what I was saying in the Unrequited Love Discussion lol.

Is this yuri or not? I don't know... This author made a lot of yuri before if you didn't know but (and is something you wouldn't see here in dynasty) she/he also made het stories too!

Do I want it to be yuri...? ...... Not now, in fact I don't want it to be romantic for now, in 2 years time skip? yeah I'll be all for it.

last edited at Sep 3, 2018 8:45PM

joined Mar 18, 2016

Every time she thinks of her brother...I'm not crying, you're crying.

I have an older brother I'm close with as well so just thinking about this hurts. The series is awesome though so I'll keep going!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Having said this, I think its a shame when good stories like this don't even get a chance to be read by the yuri purists simply because it lacks a tag.

Well, yeah, but finally that’s on them. I like well-written stories, and this is one of them. Other people evidently don’t see stories as works of narrative craft as much as groups of fictional but real people whose choices and actions amount to positive or negative judgments on the values of those readers themselves.

Some tags are pretty binary—either there are glasses or swimsuits or Shrine maidens or there aren’t. “Subtext” and “yuri” and “yuri crush” are always going to be subjective categories with blurry and contested boundaries, and if people are going to not read good stories because of the presence or absence of one or the other of those tags, that’s a choice they get to make.

Meanwhile, I’ll be out here looking for the best story with glasses-wearing shrine maidens in swimsuits.

joined May 30, 2015

CHAPTER 47 IS UP!

Follow this link (not yet on dynasty scans)

http://mangakakalot.com/chapter/ani_no_yome_to_kurashite_imasu/chapter_47

joined Jul 19, 2018

Having said this, I think its a shame when good stories like this don't even get a chance to be read by the yuri purists simply because it lacks a tag.

Well, yeah, but finally that’s on them. I like well-written stories, and this is one of them. Other people evidently don’t see stories as works of narrative craft as much as groups of fictional but real people whose choices and actions amount to positive or negative judgments on the values of those readers themselves.

Some tags are pretty binary—either there are glasses or swimsuits or Shrine maidens or there aren’t. “Subtext” and “yuri” and “yuri crush” are always going to be subjective categories with blurry and contested boundaries, and if people are going to not read good stories because of the presence or absence of one or the other of those tags, that’s a choice they get to make.

Meanwhile, I’ll be out here looking for the best story with glasses-wearing shrine maidens in swimsuits.

Amen, we share similar tastes but you forgot the mandatory Lizard, Mecha, BDSM, Choose Your Own Adventure tags.

But seriously I do agree with the sentiment that judging a book by its cover or in this case tags is generally not a wise policy outside of a few rare red flag tags that depict something a person has some sort of psychological problem with.

last edited at Sep 4, 2018 12:25AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.