Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

@Pyoro bro are you seriously saying that these two gal pals aren't totally holding hands when their parents aren't home?

Naw, as alluded to on the previous page I'm sure they're doing all sorts of things; but it's fun to pretend that the author is just an incredible troll or as oblivious as their characters and having no clue what they are writing.

"I don't get these reactions. I'm just writing about girl friendship. What are you people going on about?"

"What's the big deal, me and my best friend were like this all the time. We even used to kiss and go out on dates! You know, like friends do!"

joined Oct 5, 2016

OK so, I don't know why I'm even doing this considering pretty much everyone already agrees that this series is gay as fuck, but screw it, I'm going through each chapter and pointing out how fucking absolutely on purpose all the gay stuff is. I'm gonna call senpai by her surname Honami because both of them having K names just inevitably makes me fuck up.

Chapter 1 --
The whole story opens with girls meets girl. The whole "moving to a new town" thing comes later, but the story really wants you to know this is about these two girls from page 1.

Also she's opening with "Do you like Salamanders?" which as will come up later, isn't really how she normally deals with the public. She's starting with an icebreaker, trying to start a conversation with this random girl. Konatsu, meanwhile, is all like, "A pretty girl is talking to me!!!" It's not quite as gay as Kumiko from Euphonium's, "Crap, a pretty girl!", but still, she seems pretty amazed. There's just so much immediate romantic tension here, with Honami inviting her to come back and Konatsu looking all nervous and intrigued by the invitation (and not because she's super into aquariums!).

Page 16, and hey, it's our first mention of the summer festival already! Specifically, a boy asked Honami out to the festival and got turned down. Konatsu thinks that Honami's pretty popular. The teacher yells at Konatsu to not just stare out into space on her first day, but we already saw on the previous page what she's really staring at - Honami outside in PE.

Their whole second meeting is pretty romantic, too. It's also sorta interesting that they immediately go to first names, which is relatively intimate, especially when one is older. It feels like part of this manga's reversal of Class-S tropes - Konatsu meets this impossibly cool, pretty senpai... And instead of having that very Class-S kouhai-senpai relationship, instead they go straight to an equal relationship, and she realizes that Honami's actually a pretty big dork. The author's purposefully referencing, and then subverting, some of those standard romantic friendship / gay subtext tropes.

What's really interesting is on page 35. Her dad messages her asking if she's made any new friends, and Konatsu's like, "Should I tell him the truth?" Next panel is her thinking of Honami's face, third panel is Konatsu blushing. She tells her dad that she made one friend, and then is like, "I'm not lying..." before wondering if it would be OK for her to visit Honami tomorrow, and trying to think of an excuse to do so, and feeling all embarrassed about it.

So like, does any of that sequence really make a lick of sense if all she's thinking about is how she wants to be friends? It really doesn't. The "I'm not lying" is pretty obviously meant to be followed by, "But I'm not telling the whole truth about her, either." And it's not because she's feeling a bit lonely, because as the not-a-lizard tells her in a couple pages, if she's lonely she could just go try to hang out with her classmates. But she's not hanging out with her classmates, she's in the library researching Salamanders, trying to figure out a name to submit, all so she'll have an excuse to go back to visit Honami. She asks herself, "Why am I so hung up on this?"

When she finally goes to the aquarium club itself, she sees two boys inside. Boys are useful props in yuri, because when they say that they like a girl there's no doubt about how they mean it. And in this case the boys are very useful props indeed. "If you like Honami, just join the club already. There aren't any other members, so you'd have her all to yourself." Again, the author's setting a boy's romantic feelings for Honami right next to Konatsu's (as yet unrevealed, technically) feelings for Honami. If the author wanted this to just be a story about Girl's Friendship she could've had it be a couple of girls talking about how cool senpai is, but nope, it's boys talking about liking a girl and Konatsu relating to that. If she wanted romantic friendship she could've just made this a girl's school, or at least done that thing where boys never really show up on screen. Yes it's subtext, more or less, but this ain't an accident, the author is doing this on purpose.

Meanwhile Honami is totally wondering about Konatsu, before resolving "I'll just do my club duties before thinking about anything weird." Honami feels like her thoughts about Konatsu are weird, not normal.

Notice the lack of honorifics when Konatsu is naming the salamander after Honami's first name, Koyuki. First name, no honorifics is a very intimate form of address, and she's going, "It's lonely without you, Koyuki!!" No wonder Honami freaks out with the second-hand kiss. The whole scene is them sort of teasing intimacy - not quite no-honorifics, not exactly a real kiss but thinking of one... This sort of experimental pushing of boundaries shows up regularly in later chapters, in a way that is not at all about gals being pals, but is very much like having a first girlfriend.

Heh, that was a lot longer than I had planned for only one chapter. But like, jesus christ it's so gay! I see a lot of folks in the comments acting like something is either gay, or "just" subtext, and like... Yeah, the manga never quiiiite outright tells you what it's doing, but that doesn't mean it isn't still gay as fuck. It's just subtly written.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

INSANELY HUGE MESSAGE WRITTEN BY SadDoctor

Yet this and this it's yuri in this site standards, go figure.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

guys it's just romantic friendship.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

It's great to see that this manga is doing well in terms of fans survey. It got the 3rd spot in Yurinavi's latest survey after Yagate Kimi ni Naru (#1) and Kase-san (#2). I hope it also reflects in its sales so the author can consider doing more.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not only is this series a hilarious depiction of frustrated emotional floundering, it is also the occasion for hilariously frustrated emotional floundering on this discussion board.

"Why am I so hung up on this?" indeed. lol

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I see they are still hard at friendshipping each other ...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Awwww TwT as always, too pure for this world

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"We are not the marrying type".

"Boys don't want to help out, so let's, we girls, shoulder everything and say "boys will be boys""

Oh damn... that ticked me off.

And this is why, people, we can't have nice things. It's the type of self-harm women do all the time, because they've been educated to do what the boys don't want to bother to do. And they end up thinking it's natural. And even manga authors perpetuate those mindsets.

When I saw the guys running away and the girls only vaguely complaining and doing nothing, I got angry on their behalf. I would have called a teacher and asked them to set things right.

Boys have to learn to be responsible and do their share too. It's part of education.

AntagonistChan
Sayo2
joined Jul 11, 2018

I love all the little things the fish have to say. In this chapter in particular, I really liked the "Hey, newbie!" "Se-senpai!" exchange.

RumpledForeSkiin
joined Jun 27, 2016

Gosh darn subtext.

Tumblr_oacx7rl55f1tltatqo1_500
joined May 19, 2016

First series to ever require an Insane amounts of subtext tag.

We definitely need this. Pls make this happen

joined Aug 5, 2014

First series to ever require an Insane amounts of subtext tag.

We definitely need this. Pls make this happen

Totally agree!

How the hell is this subtext this is gay as fuck

^ Although I agree with this comment much more lol

joined Jan 17, 2017

38.2..? That's not even properly sick.

joined Jul 26, 2016

38.2..? That's not even properly sick.

It's well past the "fever threshold" marked on my trusty old thermometer (37 deg), and quite enough to make you feel well and truly fever-ridden. Definitely "stay at home to rest" levels of properly sick.

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

That moment when your l̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ friend secretly prepares something to surprise you <3

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Exactly, the punchline is going to be that they are both asexual and just enjoy emotionally intimate friendships.

Edit: I was just joking, but come to think of it, I'm not sure I would actually be upset with the author if they went that route. It would actually make for a very original story.

last edited at Aug 10, 2018 3:53PM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

"Alone in the beach
Konatsu embrace me
Konatsu, my friend, all to me
Friendship in the beach

Welp. I’ve caught the fever
But I have this friend
That will tend me till the end
Trully a reliever

Yes, Konatsu and I are so friends
That we blend

Then again, that time on the beach
Sweet!
So sweet!!!
Yes, this is our friendship"

WRITTEN by Koyuki Honami ... in a fever-ish night

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

subtext

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

"Boys don't want to help out, so let's, we girls, shoulder everything and say "boys will be boys""

And this is why, people, we can't have nice things. It's the type of self-harm women do all the time, because they've been educated to do what the boys don't want to bother to do. And they end up thinking it's natural. And even manga authors perpetuate those mindsets.

When I saw the guys running away and the girls only vaguely complaining and doing nothing, I got angry on their behalf. I would have called a teacher and asked them to set things right.

Boys have to learn to be responsible and do their share too. It's part of education.

The boys were not a member of their club and thus had no obligation to help. They were all apparently in sports clubs that weren't participating in the cultural festival.

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Exactly, the punchline is going to be that they are both asexual and just enjoy emotionally intimate friendships.

Asexual girls are fine, but I still prefer kissing girls!

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

These characters are so incredibly awkward. Even the side characters are super awkward.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Why is everyone saying subtext? Don't you folks also cry in the hand of your senpai with joy after she calls you a good girl??

last edited at Aug 10, 2018 4:45PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Looking East posted:

The boys were not a member of their club and thus had no obligation to help. They were all apparently in sports clubs that weren't participating in the cultural festival.

No. You didn't read it and you are trying to find them excuses : it was for the class's project not for the club. They are doing a kind of maid café.

Sports clubs are not doing anything (contrary to cultural clubs) and so should have participated, at least to their class project.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch12#30

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/nettaigyo_wa_yuki_ni_kogareru_ch12#22

The girls in the class call them but they sneaked out.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Oh come on don't go all feminist over a manga. In shounen series it is mostly the main guy that does the most things. How did you see that pages and thought this is sexist i can't understand

last edited at Aug 10, 2018 5:58PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.