Forum › Lemonade discussion

Picartoprofile2
joined Mar 9, 2013

So he makes a big production out of how he doesn't call her Imoko any more, then the moment someone else walks in he calls her Imoko.

Exactly the same as in the beginning where he made her cry and "apologized" - promised not call her Imoko anymore but promptly continues to do so. Classic.

But I have to say it is a fascinating series - after each and every chapter I find myself wondering if I maybe have masochistic tendencies. I just can't keep my hands off whenever a new one is released. It's like watching a severe car accident - not being able to look away.

LOL I also wonder why the hell I am still reading this..

sorry translators and editors and everyone that is working so hard to make this manga available but WHAT THE HELL... THIS IS FRUSTRATING !!!

joined Apr 6, 2013

So he makes a big production out of how he doesn't call her Imoko any more, then the moment someone else walks in he calls her Imoko.

Exactly the same as in the beginning where he made her cry and "apologized" - promised not call her Imoko anymore but promptly continues to do so. Classic.

But I have to say it is a fascinating series - after each and every chapter I find myself wondering if I maybe have masochistic tendencies. I just can't keep my hands off whenever a new one is released. It's like watching a severe car accident - not being able to look away.

sorry translators and editors and everyone that is working so hard to make this manga available but WHAT THE HELL... THIS IS FRUSTRATING !!!

Having seen the raws up to chapter 23 I have such an evil grin on my face reading this.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Well... this felt pretty irrelevant.

Having seen the raws up to chapter 23 I have such an evil grin on my face reading this.

Chapter 23 better have THE plot after 21 chapters of very passive angst.

joined Aug 5, 2013

Still reading this because of Pika-chan.

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

The fact that nobody has said "thanks for translatating" is starting to eat me inside, people are working hard on this but we complain (we can't avoid it!) and yet they go on, so thank you for your hard work in this very unique manga.

Thank you for reminding me; I forgot my manners. Thanks for the high-quality scanlations and quick updates, people!

I think for me, it's more like I'm hoping against hope that everything will be satisfactorily resolved at the end... Chapter 23 had better be good...

Gelert_Xross
joined Apr 15, 2013

I'm kind of dreading the last few chapters. I keep hoping for the story to turn around and give a satisfying conclusion where Youko isn't just stuck in that old "best friend" relationship limbo forever. I'm not asking for a suddenly-everybody-is-a-lesbian-HAPPYEND sort of scenario, just for some closure. Fingers crossed over here....

That said, the speed with which these chapters are coming out is crazy. Lots of love to the whole team, and know that it is very much appreciated.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Pika chan's forehead shines likes the sun that warms our heart

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Pika-Youko all the way!! I dunno, this turned into a kinda sucky story for me =/

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

umm, how does the saying go? "slow and steady wins the race." we all just need to enjoy the slow pace :-)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

umm, how does the saying go? "slow and steady wins the race." we all just need to enjoy the slow pace :-)

I don't mind slow pace. Hell, I enjoyed Sasameki Koto! But for me at least a good part of the problem is the lack of groundwork in any possible yuri relationship. Plus the whole Keita is an ass thing, of course.

joined Apr 15, 2011

I don't mind slow pace. Hell, I enjoyed Sasameki Koto! But for me at least a good part of the problem is the lack of groundwork in any possible yuri relationship. Plus the whole Keita is an ass thing, of course.

yeah, keita's character has irritated the hell out of me too. as for this story, I've given up on pace and Yuri. it's in my "don't fight it" category.

joined May 28, 2014

I actually made an account just to comment on this specific manga because I've been enjoying it a lot. It may be because of some personal experiences I had, but here's an anecdote for you...

When I was in high school, I played on the girls tennis team and used to be the manager of the boys tennis team. There was this one upperclassman who I didn't really like and found him to be overly hyper/annoying in my Spanish class. He was also on the tennis team and once forgot my name, calling me "Naomi" instead. Then he got all the other boys to call me that (many of them seriously thought it was my real name) and it annoyed the hell out of me. We also had assigned seats in Spanish class and had to sit next to each other for a good portion of the year.

Lemonade really reminds me a lot of him. I really, really didn't like him at the time, but when I look back, he was very nice, eager, and attractive young man. I never noticed it, but he always supported his teammates and took tennis very seriously. I feel bad now that I didn't recognize his positive qualities, but at least our little feud turned into a friendly rivalry by the time he graduate. A friend once said that boys pick on girls that they like and maybe that was what was happening (it wasn't, trust me). My petty fighting with him is actually one of my fond high school memories.

Because we see Keita through Youko's eyes, we don't really get to see why people like him so much (his charisma, energy, etc.). And I think Youko does a great job of characterizing adolescent insecurities as well as struggling with one's sexuality. Even though the pace is slow for some, I'm enjoying how it quietly showcases Youko's understanding of the world around her and of herself. Sure, there will eventually be yuri, but I love this manga because it's really a coming of age story that feels close to home for me.

As for this latest chapter, Keita was trying to say that he's no longer calling her Imoko because she's his old love's little sister. Instead, he calls her Imoko because that's his cherished nickname for her. It was like how that boy I knew called me Naomi to piss me off at first, but then it just became who he knew me as.

This is a very long comment, but I felt like offering a different perspective on Lemonade, aside from the for explicit yuri. I look forward to every chapter and I'm grateful to the people who work hard to put this up here for all of us to read.

joined Apr 15, 2011

@DarkRhodion: appreciate your take on the story and the anecdote. this just goes to show that how a story comes across is one-part story explanation and another-part reader interpretation which definitely includes personal experience. but IMHO, keita's character still sucks lemons even if he is a charismatic and affable guy.

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

I agree with Ciega. Keita turned an insult into her identity which is pretty offensive imho. This is considering she found it offensive when he started using it. I still dislike how the author made Youko basically roll over when she confronted him about it. He's kind of an insensitive twerp about everything.

DigitalCooper
06198ea848e13a290fe7a6a3314d5a8c
joined Feb 1, 2013

Pika chan's forehead shines likes the sun that warms our heart

Praise the sun!

http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/8/86/Battlefield_SSB4U_night.jpg

DigitalCooper
06198ea848e13a290fe7a6a3314d5a8c
joined Feb 1, 2013

Plus, Keita totally likes Youko -w-

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

things i have learned from this chapter A) keita is a tsundere for youko B) by theory about youko getting rejected (hell it basically already happened) and then timeskip to older youko where for the next few chapters she starts a relationship with a new girl more probable, that might just save this story in my eyes

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

I actually made an account just to comment on this specific manga because I've been enjoying it a lot. It may be because of some personal experiences I had, but here's an anecdote for you...

When I was in high school, I played on the girls tennis team and used to be the manager of the boys tennis team. There was this one upperclassman who I didn't really like and found him to be overly hyper/annoying in my Spanish class. He was also on the tennis team and once forgot my name, calling me "Naomi" instead. Then he got all the other boys to call me that (many of them seriously thought it was my real name) and it annoyed the hell out of me. We also had assigned seats in Spanish class and had to sit next to each other for a good portion of the year.

Lemonade really reminds me a lot of him. I really, really didn't like him at the time, but when I look back, he was very nice, eager, and attractive young man. I never noticed it, but he always supported his teammates and took tennis very seriously. I feel bad now that I didn't recognize his positive qualities, but at least our little feud turned into a friendly rivalry by the time he graduate. A friend once said that boys pick on girls that they like and maybe that was what was happening (it wasn't, trust me). My petty fighting with him is actually one of my fond high school memories.

Because we see Keita through Youko's eyes, we don't really get to see why people like him so much (his charisma, energy, etc.). And I think Youko does a great job of characterizing adolescent insecurities as well as struggling with one's sexuality. Even though the pace is slow for some, I'm enjoying how it quietly showcases Youko's understanding of the world around her and of herself. Sure, there will eventually be yuri, but I love this manga because it's really a coming of age story that feels close to home for me.

As for this latest chapter, Keita was trying to say that he's no longer calling her Imoko because she's his old love's little sister. Instead, he calls her Imoko because that's his cherished nickname for her. It was like how that boy I knew called me Naomi to piss me off at first, but then it just became who he knew me as.

This is a very long comment, but I felt like offering a different perspective on Lemonade, aside from the for explicit yuri. I look forward to every chapter and I'm grateful to the people who work hard to put this up here for all of us to read.

But, did your entire high school life revolve about what that guy liked and disliked? About what he called you? about who was it that he loved? Did your entire personality revolve around your friendliness or animosity towards this guy? because this is pretty much what happens with Lemonade. Even when Youko is having a revelation about her feeling towards Maki, we still have this guy's shadow floating around. We just can't get a break from this guy, and is making everyone irritated. He has way too much presence in the entire story.

last edited at May 28, 2014 6:29AM

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

But, did your entire high school life revolve about what that guy liked and disliked? About what he called you? about who was it that he loved? Did your entire personality revolve around your friendliness or animosity towards this guy? because this is pretty much what happens with Lemonade. Even when Youko is having a revelation about her feeling towards Maki, we still have this guy's shadow floating around. We just can't get a break from this guy, and is making everyone irritated. He has way too much presence in the entire story.

THIS, this is also why maki is boring, everything she is and has revolves around this guy.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

This is a perfect example of a plain bad manga having more attention than deserved because it is labeled as yuri. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad mangas leeching on niche genres pretty much as seen in Manga no Tsukurikata plot.

But this is over the top. Sometimes I wonder if the author had the whole thing done and just changed some of Youko's lines to make it yuri.

last edited at May 28, 2014 8:43AM

Maxresdefault
joined Feb 5, 2013

What the heck chapter 21 is out already and almost nothing has happened yet....never before have I read a manga with such a slowly developing plot o_o

joined Nov 11, 2010

This is a perfect example of a plain bad manga having more attention than deserved because it is labeled as yuri. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad mangas leeching on niche genres pretty much as seen in Manga no Tsukurikata plot.

But this is over the top. Sometimes I wonder if the author had the whole thing done and just changed some of Youko's lines to make it yuri.

Actually, I'd rather say that this is an unexceptional but decently unique and interesting manga receiving more negative attention than it deserves thanks to the unreasonable expectations people have about the yuri tag. Ultimately the real worth of this manga lies with Youko in her characterization and personal development. Characters like Keita, though rather duĺl and unremarkable, are not really villains/should not be considered symbols of hatred so much as representations of the limitations of an average person/society. The important part is not to like or hate him but to see how he affects Youko's character development. In that regard he is a relatively decent character (on a writing level, not a personality one), although a bit heavy-handed in the early chapters.

Although part of Youko's frustrations come from being a lesbian (reason enough to consider the series yuri-relevant if you ask me, unless you really just can't stand anything aside from brainless fluff pieces), the story itself is more about Youko's growth and feelings in general. For that reason the story doesn't necessarily demand a fixed yuri couple or ending (though I would welcome it, of course). I just feel that most people are completely off base with their complaints about this series. Youko's hug with Maki was a pretty remarkable character moment, for example, in the latest chapter.

joined May 28, 2014

blopa:

I would say the reason he floats around is because of Maki's constant interaction and eventual infatuation with him, rather than it be Youko's choice. It does appear to be a classic case of a girl's identity hinging on how a guy views her, but I think Keita is just a symbol of the shadow of Youko's older sister.

However, that doesn't at all invalidate that a lot of people find him irritating. Whether people like this manga is a preference thing at the end of the day.

Actually, I'd rather say that this is an unexceptional but decently unique and interesting manga receiving more negative attention than it deserves thanks to the unreasonable expectations people have about the yuri tag. Ultimately the real worth of this manga lies with Youko in her characterization and personal development. Characters like Keita, though rather duĺl and unremarkable, are not really villains/should not be considered symbols of hatred so much as representations of the limitations of an average person/society. The important part is not to like or hate him but to see how he affects Youko's character development. In that regard he is a relatively decent character (on a writing level, not a personality one), although a bit heavy-handed in the early chapters.

Although part of Youko's frustrations come from being a lesbian (reason enough to consider the series yuri-relevant if you ask me, unless you really just can't stand anything aside from brainless fluff pieces), the story itself is more about Youko's growth and feelings in general. For that reason the story doesn't necessarily demand a fixed yuri couple or ending (though I would welcome it, of course). I just feel that most people are completely off base with their complaints about this series. Youko's hug with Maki was a pretty remarkable character moment, for example, in the latest chapter.

Sol Falling:

I agree with you! Although I do adore Lemonade, it's not something everyone else would simply because I do have a special attachment to it. I also believe the yuri tag is hurting how the series is viewed because expectations are heaped onto it.

However, because a lot of folks are disappointed with this series, I highly recommend Hanjuku Joshi. It's a coming of age story about sexuality with explicit yuri (NSFW). Even if you've already read it, it makes a pleasant reread.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that the yuri tag almost always mean a sub-par manga when it's not plain awful. That's why you have to dig so much to find anything worthwhile within this genre. With my post before I was trying to say that this manga is barrel bottom in about every aspect: art, story, development and characters wise.

I'm not asking for a regular canon yuri couple or typical development I'm asking for something that's not glaring bad in every aspect. I visit this reader because of the yuri tag but I can discern good and bad manga since I read a lot other genres. For example I have to be really, really bored to read any Touhou yuri doujin (or anything related to Touhou) because 99.9% are shit and that comes from 3+ years of experience.

TL;DR Yuri genre is sub-par most of the time. This is one is so bad the only attention it receives comes from ppl that would read anything with the yuri tag.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I'm not asking for a regular canon yuri couple or typical development I'm asking for something that's not glaring bad in every aspect. I visit this reader because of the yuri tag but I can discern good and bad manga since I read a lot other genres. For example I have to be really, really bored to read any Touhou yuri doujin (or anything related to Touhou) because 99.9% are shit and that comes from 3+ years of experience.

You must be an expert, with 3+ years of experience you must really know your thing about manga. Although most Touhou Yuri doujin I've come across have been of quality. I, too, didn't really give much care about Touhou at first, until I understood the characters, their abilities (for example, being immortal), it made the whole thing interesting because you know what's going on and why something is in a particular way. For example, the relationship between Kaguya and Moukou. This for me made some of the doujin became compelling to read. I think it's unfair that you're stereotyping the whole Touhou doujinshi just because you think you've read all of it, and didn't like it. But, to each his own.

To reply you must either login or sign up.