Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Chapter 42.
Wow. Both of them are struggling to find their own footing and believing that they're not what the other needs or wants. I'm happy to see that Mikaze took the initiative to find her identity in this chapter. She's got her first foot forward now, even if it doesn't bring Asuka back. Ironically, it is actually Mikaze who ends up being strong enough to accept that she doesn't need to, and will not change for the sake of someone else in the end, seeing as how Asuka still thinks she herself isn't enough for Mikaze on the last page.

last edited at Jul 10, 2018 11:01PM

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

42 sure hit the feels. Can't wait to read 43 now.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I don't much care for Asuka.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I don't much care for Asuka.

Isnt it her having the same thought as her little ex? That they'll never get together as long as she (Asuka) doesn't change? I think this is meant to be the extreme tsundere cliche. (AnoKiss loves its shoujou girls love cliches).

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Asuka is kind of a jerk tbh

joined Sep 1, 2017

Can you believe, new characters introduced for the new volume to be about. It's like this is AnoKiss or something.

How are there still people who don't understand the nature of this series?

YES. These comments are getting really annoying, seriously, it's the same bullshit every time. You KNOW there's gonna be a new couple every volume alongside the main one, get over it already. =___= Like, there's been ten comments to complain about the obvious and almost zero to talk about the chapter. If you don't have anything to say, then just don't. Sorry, but it just pisses me off.

Anyway… That was unusually depressing for a Canno story. Though there's probably more to it − I guess Ayaka and/or Yurine are gonna get involved in all this one way or another. If you wonder when your relationship went off the rail, though, Asuka… that might be the day you stopped interacting with people? I can't think that's a good foundation for a healthy relationship.

Really liked the imagery in this chapter though, especially at the end. It's like that train announcer was watching them break up or something… Also, page 26, that leaf on the mirror reminds me of the way Tanuki transform in Japanese lore. Might be a way to symbolize that Asuka is trying to be someone she's not… I'm also pretty fond of Asuka's design. She looks a bit more adult than the characters we've seen until now (though since she's 19 that makes sense). Anyway, I'm curious to see how Canno continues that story. Their relationship seems pretty hard to fix right now.

Oh, and chart.

Thanks for the chart, really helps lol

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Asuka is kind of a jerk tbh

I was thinking that maybe i was being a little bitch for hating her, but now i see that i'm not alone in that feeling. This is the first time i really dislike a Canno character.

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

so...how many couples are there now?

i cant remember anyone but the main couple and the sports couple. and then i remember something about a bike and some love triangle but i just wish we could get more of the main (couple's) story going

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Ahhh, how refreshing, a character I really, really, FUCKING REALLY can't stand. A first for this series

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

ugh Asuka is a dumbass, but i've personally made the mistake she made so its not unrealistic.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

Ahhh, how refreshing, a character I really, really, FUCKING REALLY can't stand. A first for this series

Truer words have never been spoken.

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

There are so many lesbians in this school. Every extra there's just new ones. Every arc there's new ones. This is the gayest school in all conceivable universes.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Agreed that the character of Asuka is off-putting here—we just haven’t been given any reason to sympathize with her or to understand her point of view.

OK, so she slacked off in her studies, got a sports injury, and was held back while her friends graduated, and Mikaze’s ability to be “normal” both depresses her and kind of pisses her off, but I’m not sure why we should care about that and I’m certainly unclear why we should want her to get back together with Mikaze.

At least the (to me) next-least-likable character, Towako, was a straight-up yandere “I love you so much I need to destroy everything we made together” nutjob who saw the error of her ways—not exactly admirable, but completely explicable.

Canno is pretty adept at constructing stories, though, so I’m hoping we’ll soon get inside Asuka enough to wish for something other than seeing her get on the train and keep on going.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

On the other end it would be pretty "refreshing" (for lack of a better word) to have a high-school yuri story where the girls break up for good, not because of the "no homo after high school" clause but simply because… they're not made for each other.

But well, I don't doubt they'll get back together somehow, since Asuka doesn't look happy at all about the situation. Actually this arc seems to explore a question that the previous arc (with Hikari and Nagisa) didn't really bother to ask: how much should you change yourself for the sake of a relationship? The conclusion of the HikaNagi arc was more or less "Eeh, no need to change anything, it'll work out somehow", but this arc tells us "No it won't."

(aaand the chart as usual)

Chapter 43 will be out soon by the way. It's an AyaYuri chapter.

last edited at Jul 11, 2018 1:51PM

joined Mar 6, 2018

The worst way this could go is that it switches to Asukas point of view when Mikaze already has a new girlfriend and it turns into bitter regret that she couldn't speak up back then. Hate those kind of storylines

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Asuka looks like a standard self-loathing character, so she rejects everything that might make her happy or close to it; perhaps in hope that Mikaze will chase her or she just genuinely think it shouldn't happen cause it brings up thing she doesn't like.

last edited at Jul 11, 2018 7:13AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

The worst way this could go is that it switches to Asukas point of view when Mikaze already has a new girlfriend and it turns into bitter regret that she couldn't speak up back then. Hate those kind of storylines

…I might be a horrible person, but that would make me laugh. XD

Asuka looks like a standard self-loathing character, so she rejects everything that might make her happy or close to it; perhaps in hope that Mikaze will chase her or she just genuinely think it shouldn't happen cause it brings up thing she doesn't like.

That makes me think that Mikaze has a very rose-tinted view of Asuka in general. She keeps saying that she "lives in a dazzling way", but what we see is a gloomy and lonely girl, except when she's cosplaying.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

…I might be a horrible person, but that would make me laugh. XD

Not gonna lie, I would laugh too, LOL.

That makes me think that Mikaze has a very rose-tinted view of Asuka in general. She keeps saying that she "lives in a dazzling way", but what we see is a gloomy and lonely girl, except when she's cosplaying.

Are they not both seeing each other through rose-tinted lenses? Asuka seems to admire Mikaze in the same way she admires Seira (lol, admire me pls). She really hints at it in this page. It looks like the both of them want what they think the other has. It's good to see that Mikaze has started to find her own footing in this chapter, realizing that she doesn't need to be exactly like the girl she dearly admires in order to be happy - she just wants to be with her. If only Asuka could make the same realization. :(

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

One thing Canno consistently does well is visual rhyming.

In this chapter several times people visualize in a fairly abstract way another character who is not present (in other words, we see an image of a character outside of any specific memories). Shiramine pictures Kurosawa, Mikaze pictures Asuka, and Kaoru pictures Kurosawa. We see all three characters from behind, but in the second and third examples we don’t see a face, only a back, while Ayaka’s Yurine is turned around toward her (and us).

The panels of Mikaze’s lost love and Karou’s unspoken crush look almost exactly the same, while the image of Yurine’s forthright affection and Ayaka’s barely repressed reciprocation recalls those poses but is completely transformed. The side-by-side contrast on page 14 between Ayaka’s thoughts and Mikaze’s is especially effective.

Side notes: I have come to love Canno’s mildly perverse (because of the series title) piling on of that rose imagery around the Ayaka/Yurine relationship. Has anybody in this series ever actually gotten a white lily, and if not, will they ever? Or is the yuri all going to be the non-botanical kind?

And is that image as close as Shiramine has come to admitting to herself that she’s in love with Kurosawa? I know she all but says it in a previous scene with Mizuki . . .

Lyendith: Thanks as always for the translation. Also for the chart, which always reminds me how much I like many of the characters. This time I recall Chiharu and Izumi especially fondly, although I couldn’t say why exactly.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Side notes: I have come to love Canno’s mildly perverse (because of the series title) piling on of that rose imagery around the Ayaka/Yurine relationship. Has anybody in this series ever actually gotten a white lily, and if not, will they ever? Or is the yuri all going to be the non-botanical kind?

And is that image as close as Shiramine has come to admitting to herself that she’s in love with Kurosawa? I know she all but says it in a previous scene with Mizuki . . .

Actually, I think the closest she comes to admitting to herself that she's in love with Yurine is in chapter 40, on this page. She really isn't fooling herself anymore from all appearances.

last edited at Jul 11, 2018 11:37AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Side notes: I have come to love Canno’s mildly perverse (because of the series title) piling on of that rose imagery around the Ayaka/Yurine relationship.

Actually, I think the closest she comes to admitting to herself that she's in love with Yurine is in chapter 40, on this page. She really isn't fooling herself anymore from all appearances.

Right, thanks—I was thinking of Mizuki’s question earlier in the same chapter, “[You want to defeat her] so you can finally be honest with her?” Which she doesn’t deny.

If she’s fooling anyone at this point, it certainly isn’t Mizuki.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

One thing Canno consistently does well is visual rhyming.

In this chapter several times people visualize in a fairly abstract way another character who is not present (in other words, we see an image of a character outside of any specific memories). Shiramine pictures Kurosawa, Mikaze pictures Asuka, and Kaoru pictures Kurosawa. We see all three characters from behind, but in the second and third examples we don’t see a face, only a back, while Ayaka’s Yurine is turned around toward her (and us).

The panels of Mikaze’s lost love and Karou’s unspoken crush look almost exactly the same, while the image of Yurine’s forthright affection and Ayaka’s barely repressed reciprocation recalls those poses but is completely transformed. The side-by-side contrast on page 14 between Ayaka’s thoughts and Mikaze’s is especially effective.

…Damn, I hadn't noticed that. We can add that in that panel, Ayaka's look is slightly pained and longing, while the image she has of Yurine is that of a proud but gentle smile… So yeah, it seems like all traces of bitterness have vanished towards her "rival".

last edited at Jul 11, 2018 12:04PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You're so fucking special
I wish I was special

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

You're so fucking special
I wish I was special

Pets nya chan

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

Chapter 43 will be out soon by the way. It's an AyaYuri chapter.

Neat! Looking forward to it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.