Forum › I decided to fake a marriage with my junior (♀️) to shut my parents up discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Takkyomi, Ender of Dreams

I doubt she had a choice to end the series, it was probably cut. That last chapter felt like she just had to make everything come to a head. Or hell, maybe it was a contract for a three part series in Yuri Hime. I don't really know how they do what they do there, but either way this smells like an editor or publisher choice rather than an artist choice.

Given the very first page says "Start of a short intense series", I'm guessing it was intended to be three parts from the beginning. In which case the author wouldn't have planned for anything different.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Oh damn, so it does. That's really interesting... Did Yuri Hime always do those sorts of shorter series, or did that happen after Kodansha took over...? That's more rhetorical than anything

last edited at Jun 24, 2018 11:11PM

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

THAT'S IT?

Images
joined Dec 15, 2016

Ahuevo!!!! I friggin loved this!!! It ended pretty nice, this goes directly to the fav list :DDDDDD

__ex_keine_kamishirasawa_keine_and_kamishirasawa_keine_touhou_drawn_by_rebecca_keinelove__dac6b62f1c1ee61618ab14504ccd5a1b
joined May 30, 2018

good ending? hell yeah

Sh
joined Sep 8, 2016

Wow! Can't believe it. She actually ended this without the extreme drama and the sexy scenes XDD it's the second one I like after mangaka-san and her editor. Though actually I like her stories and her art.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Thinking about it some more, it's really too bad that she's not going to continue this. Machi has finally acknowledged that she's in lesbians with her wife, but is still really unprepared for what that actually means. There's lots of opportunity for positive character growth left on the table there.

Also, Machi is interestingly similar to Kobayashi, come to think of it.

C44d8dc6-30f6-464b-9df6-21306e5b293c
joined May 16, 2017

I am quite pleasantly surprised with how that worked out. The instant her mother started talking trash, MC spoke up and kicked her out. On top of that, the moment she felt there was a possibility of things ending before they began, she took action to ensure it worked out. Although I'm sad there won't be any more after this, I am quite happy with how the subverted at least 3 of the biggest tropes by simply shutting them down just as most manga would've started a multi chapter arch for each one. Subverted expectations and worked out well, though still left wanting more. However, honestly, it would either require unneeded drama, or a tonal shift to continue any further beyond this, outside of an omake or something of the sort.

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

That was sweet. Good job, Kodama-san.

last edited at Jun 25, 2018 3:19AM

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

Wow it's rare to see a Kodama's ending that doesn't piss me off. Nice.

joined Feb 1, 2018

That was a very sweet ending. I liked it!

joined Mar 15, 2015

It somehow reminds me of the manga Stretch

Honoka%201
joined Jun 23, 2015

People seem to forget about Renai Manga, her earlier work. Surprised most of the things she published afterwards were a stark contrast from the latter. The sudden shift seems like a desperate attempt to edge out from the yuri scene imho. So this was quite pleasant and a reminder of the elements she first exhibited on her early serialization.

joined Jun 9, 2018

God…
I am so disappointed in the end.
A pity, Naoko has much more potential.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That's right, illustrators deserve happy endingssssss

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Takkyomi, Ender of Dreams

I doubt she had a choice to end the series, it was probably cut. That last chapter felt like she just had to make everything come to a head. Or hell, maybe it was a contract for a three part series in Yuri Hime. I don't really know how they do what they do there, but either way this smells like an editor or publisher choice rather than an artist choice.

Given the very first page says "Start of a short intense series", I'm guessing it was intended to be three parts from the beginning. In which case the author wouldn't have planned for anything different.

The first page doesn't really mean anything in my opinion. It's just what they decided at the time of publication. The timing of publication is not necessarily the one of writing, since it's a monthly magazine.

For all we know, she wrote the first two chapters with a few leads to do something longer, but the magazine told her to make it short so she just wrote chap 3 and ended it.

If I appear to insist on this, it's because the pacing is really weird between chap2 and chap3.

Unfortunately, none here is privy to the secrets of CYH's editorial board.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

aiborie posted:

People seem to forget about Renai Manga, her earlier work.

They don't. Everyone always keep bringing it up as her only good, happy work unlike all her other ones that are just full of drama and angst. Which confuses me because Renai Manga was just as much full of drama, angst and misunderstandings until the very end where characters sorta got together. In fact it has a lot wasted potential and I was very disappointed in that manga, so people constantly putting it as some gold standard of "Kodama at her best" is seriously mysterious to me.

If you had read this entire thread I already brought it up, but w/e

As for actually good example of a work that people constantly forgot about when saying how Kodama can't write happy stories, I recommend checking Everyday★Lingerie. I bet 90% of people bashing Kodama never read it and will have their mind blown she was able to write 100% fluff.

last edited at Jun 25, 2018 1:11PM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Wow, that was decent^^ Now I wish it was longer.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

The first page doesn't really mean anything in my opinion. It's just what they decided at the time of publication. The timing of publication is not necessarily the one of writing, since it's a monthly magazine.

It was announced as a short series back in March, three months prior to the issue that had the first chapter. I don't know why such disbelief, it had a fast pacing because it was intended to be short, the ex was obviously a plot device for Machi to realize she likes Hana and while the parents stuff still ended on a bad note/unresolved, it did showed Machi standing up for herself and Hana, so it was a progress for her character. As a short series I do believe it could've used another chapter or two but I'm satisfied with the end.
Edit: I'll have to correct myself, it was actually a month before.

last edited at Jun 25, 2018 5:49PM

joined Oct 23, 2016

This actually had a lot of potential to become a longer and drama filled series. Man, when good ones come along they get cut short.

joined Feb 11, 2014

The card they sent to the mother, presumably as middle finger to her homophobic tendencies, made me laugh.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

The manga title could also be read as "I decided to have a happy married couple (♀️) to shut my detractors up".

When I learned this mangaka is the same one who did Netsuzou Trap and Cocytus, all fears people had at chapter 2 felt VERY well justified. I'm seriously surprised she didn't make one of the main characters a disgusting human being taking advantage of the other.

last edited at Jun 25, 2018 10:56PM

Edit
joined Apr 30, 2016

Also, Machi is interestingly similar to Kobayashi, come to think of it.

Completely agree, and glad you mentioned it :). I too, was getting Kobayashi-Tohru vibe from these two.

Screenshot_39
joined Apr 17, 2017

sobs so beautiful...
I wish to see more of the Ex-girlfriend though.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Whaaaat...? I thought this would be longer :/

To reply you must either login or sign up.