Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

joined Feb 21, 2018

By bringing up violence you blew the Nez whistle. Nice job there, bet youre glad being allowed not to get a proper reply.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

By bringing up violence you blew the Nez whistle. Nice job there, bet youre glad being allowed not to get a proper reply.

No, the Nez whistle was brought up because of your clumsy, ongoing attempts to invoke something you obviously don't understand and it was getting irritating. So cut it out.

joined Feb 21, 2018

Oh, yeah, cause you are such a fucking genius arent you, Nez? Head so far up your own ass that you cant stand the sight of an opposing opinion.

But, no, keep calling the confirmed bisexual girl a lesbian.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 11:42AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Welp. Bye.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Well, that happened...

In other news, I'm still thinking of ways to confirm the majority opinion on my translation of the accent. I might put a strawpoll on the discord server, or something, but we'll see.

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 11:54AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

You do it the way you want, but:

• Not everyone is on discord. You'll get a really narrow opinions sample.

• Not everyone who reads Dynasty is a native english speaker.

Most people here probably can read standard American/British english without problem, but dialects are something else.

I'm not even able to understand what some of my relatives from the countryside are saying sometimes, because I speak "Parisian" French and not their local "patois", so understanding english dialects is really difficult. I didn't even know it was Scottish until someone said it was. The "dinnae" puzzled me for a few loops.

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

I'm not a native English speaker, and I've never been to an English speaking country, but for me the Scottish worked fine. Even if I'm not used to a specific word, I can understand its meaning from the context. I thought it was a creative solution in the manga, and it sounds... Cute. Really shows she's not from Tokio.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, "understanding from the context" is easy. I understood the meaning of every sentence too, of course.

But when I read a sentence, I usually don't expect to have to reread it twice or thrice to understand the global meaning, unless it's a really unfamiliar word I have to look up. It made the reading experience more "uncomfortable", if you see what I mean. I thought the level of accent in the first chapter was just right.

Anyway, we are running in circles. If the next chapter is in the same vein because people support this way of translating the dialect, I won't have any complaint, since it's a matter of preference.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Y'all must have HATED the father in Flying Witch.

joined Nov 21, 2017

Uh.. sorry, but does "didnae" mean "didn't"? English is not my native language so this translation is kinda hard for me to read ^^'

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Gabeerohas
It does. Basically, nae = not.
Dinnae <> Don't
Didnae <> Didn't
Couldnae <> Couldn't
etc.

joined Nov 21, 2017

@Gabeerohas
Dinnae <> Don't
Didnae <> Didn't
Couldnae <> Couldn't
etc.

Thank you! So, is that supposed to be some kind of accent?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

@Gabeerohas
Dinnae <> Don't
Didnae <> Didn't
Couldnae <> Couldn't
etc.

It is the accent of men who.... do things with sheep.

Herding! I meant herding sheep!

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 2:29PM

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

The dialect used made it very difficult to enjoy reading the chapter...

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Arujin posted:

I'm not sure what the story behind it is, but I somehow doubt the original feels as hamfisted as this.

You are right. Original is even worse.

I was going to say it but you said it first x'D

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

@Gabeerohas
Dinnae <> Don't
Didnae <> Didn't
Couldnae <> Couldn't
etc.

It is the accent of men who.... do things with sheep.

Herding! I meant herding sheep!

xDDDDD when I live we have cows, but I find this incredible funny

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

Y'all must have HATED the father in Flying Witch.

Don't you mean best boy?

:V

joined Sep 1, 2017

I enjoyed the manga and decided to read comments on it... worse idea ever lol. I only hope this continues to get translated otherwise my poor little heart will suffer.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

For whatever's worth, I liked the scottish accent. ;)
While it gave me the "dwarves" vibe for some reasons (I played too many RPGs) when I read it in my mind, I think it suits the "oh she has an accent" situation that cannot easily get across in text. So thanks for continuing the translations. :D

As for the comments above, whoa, it really does get heated in forums huh.

Dorohedoro_noi_big_smile
joined Feb 24, 2015

I think it will just be a matter of time to get used to the Scottish accent. I read a book called "Their Eyes Were Watching God" and it was written with a DEEP southern African American dialect. It was difficult to understand at first, but after a while you get used to it and it becomes easier to read. I think as long as the Scottish accent remains consistent, people will get used to it. Regardless, I appreciate the translation work!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I loved, loved, loved the Scottish accent. Really, I like almost every other accent better than Southern US ones (apologies to Southern US people), so a change from that was nice. And I'm personally particularly fond of Scottish accents. I've just been revelling in it.

Screenshot%202022-09-02%201817ss28
joined May 21, 2018

Thank you it finally continues! And I love the Scottish accent - great replacement for the Hakata one

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

I'm in fucking tears. I can't stop reading Nanami's dialogue in the Scotsman's voice from Samurai Jack. I'm sorry this is just too funny, a Japanese woman speaking in a full-blown Scottish accent is brilliant

joined Apr 22, 2014

The Scottish dialect was a good and creative choice, certainly better than how dialects are usually treated! Since people are having trouble, maybe add a short dictionary for the phrases people have the most problems with.

joined Jun 9, 2018

This smells like "the feeling we all must endure"
Please tell me that is not the case.

To reply you must either login or sign up.