Forum › 1 x ½ discussion

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

This actually turned out to be a real page turner! It's so strange but as you learn more about them you kinda understand why they're a little fucked up

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

HA HA TIME FOR MISUNDERSTANDINGS

joined Feb 22, 2018

I have a theory about the backstory and possibly the plot of this manga. It's a bit left field, but its cogent.

If you're not familiar with Shakespeare's "The Tempest", there is a major character named Caliban, who is a Cambion (a half man/half demon creature) who was born of a witch named Sycorax. In the prologue, the magician Prospero came to the island Caliban lived on, and defeated the Cambion. Caliban was only loyal to Prospero because of his fear of his master's magic, otherwise his only bit of obedience was extreme filial loyalty to his mother.

Here's the backstory for 1 x 1/2: Ayuko is a witch, a member of a women's only subculture or coven hidden in the modern world. This particular group obtains magical power by contracts to demons known as Incubi (singular: Incubus). An Incubus is a shadowy shapeshifter, a seducer and rapist, known for their ability to dominate humans through magical will. Though considered Male in the West, in reality they are possibly intersex, capable of Male and Female attributes.

Entering into a contract with these demons requires a ritual consisting of the summoning witch, and a sibling pair that plays Male and Female to match the demon's genderfluidity and be both a vessel and a bridge for its spirit form. This is a dangerous ritual given both demon's power and lust. When Ayuko, Atsushi and Akira (hey, alliteration) attempted a summoning, they seemingly lost control of the Incubus, which murdered Atsushi and sexually assaulted Ayuko. And the result was Ayuko being impregnated with Asuka.

I say "seemingly" because Atsushi's death may have been a life-for-a-life blood sacrifice, with Ayuko receiving a half demon daughter that would give her immense magical power required a necessary price paid in blood. But because it killed Atsushi, and because Asuka is dangerously unaware of her power and legacy, Ayuko felt very little warmth for her child. In truth she treats her daughter like a servant or an important work animal, which in fact she is. In spite of Asuka's filial loyalty, Ayuko only begrudgingly accepts her, and was often cold and even borderline cruel in her regard. In fact she has a magical "leash" around Asuka that enables her to suppress her demonic nature, including her sire's lust and will.

But all of that has changed in the course of a few weeks. Which brings us to the incest issue. In small tribal communities, where everyone is a cousin to everyone else, incest is anathema. So much so that they held divine punishment to be quick and decisive. But if punishment didn't happen, then it was because those supernatural forces that governed the world favored the incest. It then would be an opening into even greater magical power. As Akira pointed out, incestuous desire shouldn't occur between a witch mother and Cambion offspring because it is a divinely proscribed taboo (it's too much magic for one mortal to control). For it to be absent is evidence of hidden supernatural agendas. This is why Ayuko indulges her daughter's carnal desires to a limited degree, because she's unsure of the intent or source of this inversion. But some powerful supernatural entity wants Asuka and Ayuko to mate, for unknown reasons, and with an uncertain outcome.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^That’s one theory. There may well be others.

last edited at May 4, 2018 1:33AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

That's no theory, that's at best wild speculation. And you can do that sort of thing for any manga as nothing about it is verifiable or even relies much on anything that actually happens in the plot ^^

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Akira x naive little kouhai whose name I've already forgotten thirty seconds after reading it. I now ship them harder than the main couple.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

I ship the mom and Akira e.e... it woukd be nice if that ended up being the main ship

Kinchan%20drawing%20maru%20%20dfhgsdhfsdhgsdf%20i%20lov%20e
joined Dec 21, 2015

Akira x naive little kouhai whose name I've already forgotten thirty seconds after reading it

This is what I'm calling this ship from now on, lol. I'm terrible with names.

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

I ship the mom and Akira e.e... it woukd be nice if that ended up being the main ship

Pls no, this series is a rare find. There's plenty enough adult x adult yuri around here. Meanwhile, there's barely even any mom x daughter yuri oneshot, so the fact that we're getting an entire series is a miracle.

Seriously, the only other mom x daughter yuri I can remember is the "I found mom incest yuri books in my daughter bedroom" one, which is more of a meme than actual yuri.

joined Jul 26, 2016

10/10 break-room banter

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

Now i like Akira x Saya omg---

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The "But we're..." made me think.

I wonder if "Atsushi-kun" wasn't a girl actually. How Ayako got pregnant is another story, but the fact that she says it was a "strange person" point to something else than a "nice dead husband".

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Ayako didn't seem particularly invested in her marriage, romantically, if that was her reaction to getting proposed, I have to say. Feels more like "goes along with the pushy guy because she can't be bothered to say no" ^^;

But the rest is pretty cute.

joined Sep 19, 2015

I gotta say, "1 x ½ ch8.2: +β" is probably the third or fourth most garbled-looking title I have ever seen.

It's as if someone opened the chapter as a text file or something.

last edited at May 9, 2018 5:13AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Not ITF-8 compatible text document ... or maybe you are supposed to calculate the actual chapter number? If c = 2, h = ...

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

Ayako didn't seem particularly invested in her marriage, romantically, if that was her reaction to getting proposed, I have to say. Feels more like "goes along with the pushy guy because she can't be bothered to say no" ^^;

Tbh the current plot (according to Akira at least) Ayako supposedly misses her husband of something but apart from like 1-2 "I miss him" kind of scenes but I don't remember a single scene where Ayako was displayed feeling sad about her husband's death.
It's pretty weird honestly how Akira arc seemingly used to establish that Ayako getting into this incest thing because Asuka is similar to her husband and how her husband's death really affected her life but Ayako herself almost never shown any interest in her dead husband so far. Even the backstory is pretty much just "Ayako had a husband but he died before Asuka was born, the end" without even showing a scene with Ayako crying or something over her husband's death.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well that husband has been dead for, what, 16 years or so. Even if you miss them you kind of get over it.
Plus I understand having a kid to look after does wonders for keeping your priorities (ahem) straight - you're plain too busy with everyday things and managing the household to mope around. (AFAIK it's been seriously theorized this is one reason women tend to be better at overcoming severe crises than men.)

...come think of it, back in the day babysitting Asuka may well have helped Akira deal with the loss of her brother too.

last edited at May 9, 2018 11:26AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

I came here for the incest, not this heresy.

Same.

Ghost Shogun
Badass%20yuyuko%20-%20avatar2
joined Dec 4, 2015

@Pyoro

From the extra (about Ayako):
She's a beauty who turns everyone's head, but really couldn't care less.

I do not remember if it was stated that she was confessed to a lot... -checks chapter- Yes, it was not, so I guess Atsushi(?) was the only one with enough guts to even confess to her, and since she was tutoring him, she probably was familiar enough with him (or at least knew he wasn't a bad person) to just "go with it"... basically, my brain is too lethargic right now to think better...

@triviabingo
Well, we do have this panel, that is related to the reason Akira feels guilty for, although we don't know what it is yet. But yeah, I pretty much agree with you, plus, see above.

@Arcane
Sorry, I did not like that fanfic of yours... but like GeneralJ said, maybe you should write this plot as its own story (instead of trying to see it here), it could be more interesting.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well that husband has been dead for, what, 16 years or so. Even if you miss them you kind of get over it.
Plus I understand having a kid to look after does wonders for keeping your priorities (ahem) straight - you're plain too busy with everyday things and managing the household to mope around. (AFAIK it's been seriously theorized this is one reason women tend to be better at overcoming severe crises than men.)

...come think of it, back in the day babysitting Asuka may well have helped Akira deal with the loss of her brother too.

Yeah, this. You may never quite be entirely over the death of a loved one, but the wound like, scars over, and the tears mostly stop.

If you're still shedding tears after 15 years, that's not grief anymore, that's chronic depression, and you should see a therapist.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I have a theory about the backstory and possibly the plot of this manga. It's a bit left field, but its cogent.

(turns head suspiciously) Not sure if serious...

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Akira x naive little kouhai whose name I've already forgotten thirty seconds after reading it

This is what I'm calling this ship from now on, lol. I'm terrible with names.

Akira x NLKWNIAFTSARI FTW!

Img_20180401_104003
joined Nov 26, 2017

I want to buy 1 x ½ physical book. where can I buy it? melonbooks? thx

AyeIts_Nicocchi
Deepfry-2
joined Mar 15, 2018

gaydar

To reply you must either login or sign up.