Forum › Bright and Cheery Amnesia discussion

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

That's one of those "I gonna call the police" situation.

joined Mar 3, 2017

DISCLAIMER: reading the fine print aloud may cast Summon Yog-Sothoth halfway through

Ia! Ia!

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

arisa is too perverted by nature

joined Jul 21, 2016

Arisa is so adorable!

Hedgehog
joined Feb 26, 2018

If Arisa wasn't stupidly cute her approach would be considered creepy.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Chap 20, best thing I've ever read. Arisa lost her memories from pure happiness overload.

joined Dec 28, 2016

Please don't add shitty "Norway" jokes. They're not funny and they're not in the manga. Translate, don't rewrite.

last edited at Apr 28, 2018 5:17AM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Would someone mind spoiling the Norway jokes. This is the first time I'm encountering this

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

morter posted:

Would someone mind spoiling the Norway jokes. This is the first time I'm encountering this

Wasn't it just a silly play on "no way"?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

morter posted:

Wasn't it just a silly play on "no way"?

That’s what it’s been every time I’ve seen it in a context like this.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Oh okay. That's what I figured but I didn't know it went beyond this and Ayano's puns in Yuru Yuri

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

Extra: typo Norway -> No way.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Here's a parody sports cheer from early in the 20th century:

Riddle-dee-dee and rootie-toot-toot,
We are the girls from the Institute.
We don't drink, and we don't smoke,
Norfolk!
Norfolk!
Norfolk!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Well, yeah. It's not remotely implied she got her memories back or anything. She's still behaving the same as ever so I don't think anyone is assuming she's not still totally post-amnesia!Arisa.

... Huh. For some reason, I read "I was at the festival" as meaning that Arisa recovered her pre-amnesia memories.

The festival was post-amnesia, though. The pre-amnesia proposal was the one at the amusement park.

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

It's nice to know that Arisa was always a huge dork.

Maki_avi-2
joined Apr 13, 2018

That chocolate letter slays me. So cute!!!

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

RE the Norway gag: It's basically a way of rendering the fact that she's literally saying "NO WAY" in Engrish (i.e. ノーウェー, or noowee / noh-weh), rather than using the native Japanese equivalent of the English phrase (e.g. いやだ, iyada). In fact, IIRC the first time I saw this gag used (I believe in the Yuri Natsu comic), the character saying it first said the Japanese equivalent, then immediately followed it with the Engrish (perhaps to emphasize her refusal). It's fine, honestly; Engrish is basically English being pronounced in by a Japanese person who hasn't figured out how to properly pronounce the words, so it's believable that their attempt to say "No way!" could sound like "Norway!" to an Anglophone.

last edited at May 2, 2018 7:24PM

joined Mar 15, 2017

RE the Norway gag: It's basically a way of rendering the fact that she's literally saying "NO WAY" in Engrish (i.e. ノーウェー, or noowee / noh-weh), rather than using the native Japanese equivalent of the English phrase (e.g. いやだ, iyada).

She said うそっ

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

RE the Norway gag: It's basically a way of rendering the fact that she's literally saying "NO WAY" in Engrish (i.e. ノーウェー, or noowee / noh-weh), rather than using the native Japanese equivalent of the English phrase (e.g. いやだ, iyada).

She said うそっ

Yeah, うそ (the actual word, っ just indicates that the last sound is elongated) is another word in Japanese for "No way!", though it literally means "lie" (as a noun).

joined Mar 15, 2017

っ just indicates that the last sound is elongated)

That's not what it indicates. If anything it's cutting short.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

っ just indicates that the last sound is elongated)

That's not what it indicates. If anything it's cutting short.

Indicating a cut-short sound is the typical use of っ. I've seen it several times being used in a way that I could not interpret in any way other than elongating the last sound as typical for, say, screaming out the word while panicked. Certainly it has to be so when rather than a single っ, you have a lot of them in a single chain (i.e. っっっっっっ).

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I agree with all of the above.

In English it would be like you said "Wha-!?" the dash there is not an elongation dash, it's like you didn't even say the "t" sound, just a glottal stop. The chain would be like "Whaaaaaa?" and still not end with a t.

I've looked ahead and Arisa is the biggest dork in manga except the girl who keeps trying to bribe her classmate into dating her

last edited at May 14, 2018 4:52PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Omg poor Mari, hang in there! TwT
Maybe she needs to seduce her with a very lewd lingerie to bring back the old Arisa's lust.

Duke
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love how Arisa still can't even imagine anyone ever having a problem with two women marrying.

KittyCatOmaniac
E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

Arisa is just pure in so many ways right now.

To reply you must either login or sign up.