Forum › Hanakaku - The Last Girl Standing discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I still prefer the hug from the previous episode but that punch was very sweet too

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ham-STER! Ham-STER! Ham-STER!

• ahem * sorry . . .
Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

• ahem * sorry . . .

What's this about steamed hams....ters?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

• ahem * sorry . . .

What's this about steamed hams....ters?

Please don’t bother me—I’m downloading the page of Hana in her PJs from chapter 8 and mustn’t be disturbed.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

How much power could Hana put into an overhand right anyway with those thin arms? And how much top pressure can she exert being so light?

Here's to hoping she wins by something other than an armbar.

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

That punch on pg 24 was so damn satisfying

I'm going to look at that page repeatedly for the next few days lol.

joined Jul 22, 2014

I like the bitch, it makes me wonder how their romantic relationship would work as they become adults as unlikely that sounds, truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

last edited at Mar 29, 2018 2:55AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The first time I got hit was absolutely terrible. It was a body shot and crumpled me right up. But the first time I got hit in the face was a whole different experience. And then the first time I got hit in the face multiple times was another whole new experience.

Funny, the first few times those things happened to me (well, in a one-on-one fight, not just being bullied) I barely noticed. I was hopped up on adrenaline I guess.

Current villain is, as many people have mentioned, over-the-top silly. I just cannot take her seriously. "All-Rounder Meguru" this is not. Of course that's not really fair because "All-Rounder Meguru" is probably the best realistic martial-arts manga I've ever read.
Hamster is certainly cute though. And even if I can't take Doctor Evil Girl seriously, it's still satisfying seeing her take that big punch.

last edited at Mar 29, 2018 3:22AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As far as taking this story “seriously,” I’m pretty new to sports manga and sometimes find them overstuffed with tedious technical details about the sport and short on, well, fun. And the ones that are fun tend to be pretty traditional Unlikely But Lovable Protagonist Displays Near-Miraculous, Previously-Unsuspected Talent And Overcomes Adversity narratives, which is what I take it this one is.

Is it common to have sports manga that can hold up to, say, calculations about the foot-pounds of energy potentially generated by the protagonist’s body weight under the stipulated atmospheric conditions, as opposed to just taking it for granted that we’re dealing with a hamster with a heart more powerful than a nuclear reactor?

last edited at Mar 29, 2018 7:15AM

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

There's something about sports manga that just make you emit noises, isn't there? This chapter was a ride from start to finish! How fun

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Holy shit this person is evil as fuck. It's been a while since I read Shounen so it caught me off guard.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Nope, this is still in the "rest in peace" domain. I just can not take it seriously. The delinquent girl was bad enough, but at the very least, she was believable (other characters' tolerance of her was not, though). Nina is so over-the-top, I just can not feel the suspense. Of course she will lose in the end, no author in their right mind would create a character so comically unlikable, and then let her win. Unless the author is a sadist with a troll streak.

last edited at Apr 11, 2018 9:17PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

The key to not letting the bottom person come up on the armbar is to not initiate "falling" into the armbar. So many people, even higher belts, known the armbar as "mount-spin-fall", which is an overt simplification that only encourages loose armbars and thus giving up top position. The key to a tight armbar is to pinch the knees and secure the arm against the body. Only once secured should one give up mount and finish the armbar. The fall is not a part of securing the lock, it's just the motion for the finish. Falling into an armbar without securing the arm and pinching the knees will only lead to loose armbars and failed armbars.

Also, if Hana had finished her triangle by angling to the side and squeezing with her quads, not only could she have had a tighter hold, but the opponent now can no longer just frame out of the triangle through sheer force. By angling out and entangling the free arm or one of Nina's legs with her arms, Nina will no longer be able to produce any viable frames. This is the way Ryan Hall teaches the triangle, and I think it's a much better triangle finish. This finish has been used a lot recently, although people still finish the triangle by hugging the head sometimes.

last edited at Apr 11, 2018 9:27PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Damn the fight this chapter was pretty intense. Loved it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think MC will lose, but in compensation, Nina will lose huge in popularity and it'll be really bad PR for her. Like being caught bullying a small kid.

Or at least a draw.

It looks more and more like I was right...

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Dang that was a pretty intense chapter
But yeah Nina seems like she would be at home in something like Kakegurui

I think Hana will win though because she has to win for her friend.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Things look really grim for the Hamster. Like her fiancé, Fu-chan, I just want her out in one piece.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

"I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated."

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

I get the feeling that Hanaka is going to win but only because she's being so stubborn and what's her face is going to make herself look even worse and get disqualified for it or something along those lines.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

In hindsight, maybe Hanaka should have learned to check leg kicks.

Now it looks like Hanaka has no chance of winning.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

cant believe i forgot about this...

joined Nov 30, 2011

I get the feeling that Hanaka is going to win but only because she's being so stubborn and what's her face is going to make herself look even worse and get disqualified for it or something along those lines.

Nah. She loses but gains everyone's respect while the other loses it.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Nah. She loses but gains everyone's respect while the other loses it.

And Fu is doomed to never completing high school, getting through life on precarious, low wage, high stress, no benefit, no security jobs?

Ava2
joined Jun 11, 2014

Damn I love this series.. I've read some super sad things and never tear up but somehow I almost teared up with this chapter, maybe because I root for Hanaka so hard. This second round was to be expected, but I wasn't so sure how realistic the author was going with it. I really hope she can win though, maybe with desperation leg lock like the current champ.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Altair posted:

And Fu is doomed to never completing high school, getting through life on precarious, low wage, high stress, no benefit, no security jobs?

Yeah, this is largely the reason I was thinking she'll manage to still pull off a win. If her opponent weren't a total piece of shit then I'd consider the idea that even a loss might still prevent Fu from getting kicked out but then a less shitty person wouldn't have even tried to do so in the first place.

To reply you must either login or sign up.