Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Pretty irrelevant, but I was re-reading the manga and noticed Yurine and Ayaka stopped using honorifics after a few chapters. Just out of curiosity, can someone who has read the the raws tell me if they do the same there?

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

Pretty irrelevant, but I was re-reading the manga and noticed Yurine and Ayaka stopped using honorifics after a few chapters. Just out of curiosity, can someone who has read the the raws tell me if they do the same there?

It's by different scanlators. First 3 chapters was translated by Kawaii-scan and they took care of the honorifics. The rest by MiamMiam.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Yeah, I usually don't keep honorifics. The only one I keep is "-senpai", because it's a cultural/technical term that is significant but not really translatable. But if this was a professional translation I'm not sure I would keep it either.

…Also, I didn't think Mei fans existed. >.>

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

It's by different scanlators. First 3 chapters was translated by Kawaii-scan and they took care of the honorifics. The rest by MiamMiam.

Oh, I see. Thanks btw.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Yeah, I usually don't keep honorifics. The only one I keep is "-senpai", because it's a cultural/technical term that is significant but not really translatable. But if this was a professional translation I'm not sure I would keep it either.

…Also, I didn't think Mei fans existed. >.>

They do dear...you just have to use an electron microscope to find them xD

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Well, all tastes are in nature, I guess. XD

Chapter 39 should be done this week or the next. Now that I think of it, this is the first chapter where Ayaka is a supporting character without Yurine. It's kinda refreshing.

These are Chiharu and Izumi right? o.o

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I'm pretty sure they are. Unless Chiharu is already cheating on her girlfriend. >.>

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Interesting to compare chapter 40's front page to chapter 22-23's.

Aaand, chap 39 is out. Nagisa is so much like me it's disturbing. >.> And I like getting a glimpse of Ayaka's evolution through her talking to someone else than Yurine. That's something that was really lacking.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Can't something have a doujin without having an anime? ;_;

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

This really doesn't strike me as a stable relationship dynamic. A woman basically being her partner's surrogate mother because they refuse to make the effort to mature and look after themselves doesn't get any less unfair because that partner is also a woman.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

anyone know how many chapters are left? too many characters to keep track if without rereading it :P

joined Apr 15, 2013

A confirmed yuri couple is in the extra page. I think this is the first time that this has happened.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

gezh posted:

That time of the month again <3
https://mobile.twitter.com/anokonikiss/status/968462856738885632

I want that !! I NEED THAT!!! also thanks for the new chapter... These girls still have a long way to go (also author, this doesn't mean I want 5 more chapters with them!!) but wow my hype goes so high with just a tease of the "main" couple coming up next.

Gelert_Xross posted:

A confirmed yuri couple is in the extra page. I think this is the first time that this has happened.

I could get used to it

last edited at Feb 28, 2018 11:33PM

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

It's the first time a couple has said that they're going out.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Still hoping that Yurine becomes Ayaka's roommate. If Ayaka gets a new character as her roommate....ugh... it could be a cool character but I feel like the chances are higher that it'll be lackluster in comparison to Ayaka and Yurine. Only two ships so far (for me) have shown the same level of promise.

joined Jul 26, 2016

So... did Torayama just basically propose or what? For being so tsundere she's surprisingly good at Getting Shit Done...
Also that ". . ." reaction face her mother is making amuses me immensely for some reason.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Chiharu said she was "going out" with Izumi actually (volume 2 extra). And Mizuki freaking proposed to Moe, so there's that.

This really doesn't strike me as a stable relationship dynamic. A woman basically being her partner's surrogate mother because they refuse to make the effort to mature and look after themselves doesn't get any less unfair because that partner is also a woman.

Myeah, I wish Tatsumi made a little more efforts herself. I mean, I still find their dynamic funny in its own way, but Torayama's definitely getting the short end of the stick there. Although it's not like Tatsumi is completely incompetent, just… not very good at keeping things in order.

Still hoping that Yurine becomes Ayaka's roommate. If Ayaka gets a new character as her roommate....ugh... it could be a cool character but I feel like the chances are higher that it'll be lackluster in comparison to Ayaka and Yurine. Only two ships so far (for me) have shown the same level of promise.

That would almost feel like cheating, but I kinda wanna see that too, yeah…

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Ugh. Honorifics contain so much context that when they are missing it feels like you are missing half the story. And there is just no good direct translation for them in English, where he have no clear way to denote (or desire to denote) fifteen different levels of respect, deference, or familiarity--and that's just when talking to a sibling!

To me, stripping out the honorifics also strips out a good deal of the Japanese culture that informs and colors the storylines. And if you are stripping out the Japanese culture in manga, then you are doing little more than reading American comic books, except that everyone has eyes the size of tea saucers. You might as well change all the octopus and rice in the dinners to hot dogs and mashed potatoes while you are at it.

I'm not sure why non-professional translators would want to strip out honorifics in the first place. 99.9% of the readers of fan-translated manga are people who are already well versed in the ins-and-outs of -sensei, -dono, and oujo-sama. The other 0.1% are people who are reading their first manga, and are going to find many more challenges from the culture shock than just the nuances of honorifics.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Chiharu said she was "going out" with Izumi actually (volume 2 extra). And Mizuki freaking proposed to Moe, so there's that.

I had forgotten Chiharu and Izumi.

But Mizuki and Moe never did refer to themselves as "going out" but we know their relationship from their actions.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

^^ It's a fair argument, but a bit exagerated if you ask me. Most honorifics really don't tell us much we don't already know from the characters' personalities and interactions. The nuance lost by dropping them is usually negligeable − and when they are really important, there are always ways to translate them one way or another (except for "senpai", as I said). The first name/last name basis is much more significant overall. And keep in mind that Japanese is a language where the level of speech and dialect is marked everywhere, so much that you can sometimes have 10 characters and recognize each of them just by the way they talk. It's extremely tricky to convey all these nuances accurately, honorifics or not.

Sure, I don't have to drop them in a scanlation, but to me honorifics are still an integral part of the Japanese language specifically, so I guess I don't want my translations to look too much like a mishmash. But I can get why some are attached to them.

last edited at Mar 1, 2018 5:26AM

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Sometimes I think those little theaters have more progress than the romance of the actual series lol. Nonetheless a good update for me! :)

Screen%20shot%202017-12-10%20at%208.19.31%20pm
joined Dec 26, 2013

Seems like the mother ships them as well lol

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Ugh. Honorifics contain so much context that when they are missing it feels like you are missing half the story. And there is just no good direct translation for them in English, where he have no clear way to denote (or desire to denote) fifteen different levels of respect, deference, or familiarity--and that's just when talking to a sibling!

To me, stripping out the honorifics also strips out a good deal of the Japanese culture that informs and colors the storylines. And if you are stripping out the Japanese culture in manga, then you are doing little more than reading American comic books, except that everyone has eyes the size of tea saucers. You might as well change all the octopus and rice in the dinners to hot dogs and mashed potatoes while you are at it.

I'm not sure why non-professional translators would want to strip out honorifics in the first place. 99.9% of the readers of fan-translated manga are people who are already well versed in the ins-and-outs of -sensei, -dono, and oujo-sama. The other 0.1% are people who are reading their first manga, and are going to find many more challenges from the culture shock than just the nuances of honorifics.

Goodness gracious.

To reply you must either login or sign up.