Forum › Posts by Thor

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

No big. They just snipped off 15 pages of sweating, scissoring, and screaming.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Yeah, I usually don't keep honorifics. The only one I keep is "-senpai", because it's a cultural/technical term that is significant but not really translatable. But if this was a professional translation I'm not sure I would keep it either.

Ugh. Honorifics contain so much context that when they are missing it feels like you are missing half the story. And there is just no good direct translation for them in English, where he have no clear way to denote (or desire to denote) fifteen different levels of respect, deference, or familiarity--and that's just when talking to a sibling!

To me, stripping out the honorifics also strips out a good deal of the Japanese culture that informs and colors the storylines. And if you are stripping out the Japanese culture in manga, then you are doing little more than reading American comic books, except that everyone has eyes the size of tea saucers. You might as well change all the octopus and rice in the dinners to hot dogs and mashed potatoes while you are at it.

I'm not sure why non-professional translators would want to strip out honorifics in the first place. 99.9% of the readers of fan-translated manga are people who are already well versed in the ins-and-outs of -sensei, -dono, and oujo-sama. The other 0.1% are people who are reading their first manga, and are going to find many more challenges from the culture shock than just the nuances of honorifics.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Why did it happened?

Because it happens

Roll the bones

Jack, relax. Get busy with the facts.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Haram

Forbidden by Islamic law? Yes, it is. So what?

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Laughed like an idiot at what? The manga, or the tag?

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

I think one valid reason to have only a small number of fields would be the performance of the server. Adding a lot of work due to multiple exclusion tags would affect that.

I think a better solution would be to have a separate item that described each chapter's origin:

• original published work
  • official derivative work, like in anthologies
  • original doujin (+ doujin that is derivative of original doujin)
  • fandom doujin

Each user would be able to set which of these they wanted to see (both permanent default setting, and per-search).

EDIT: Maybe even add a fifth category:

• published work that was originally original doujin

to make classification easier.

EDIT2: Just came up with a way to implement this without drastic changes to the system: Add invisible tags like "original work", "doujin", "original doujin", "fandom doujin", that you could use in search or exclusion fields. (I first thought of "non-original doujin" as one of them, but pattern matching would match that even if you searched for "original doujin".)

I agree with every word of this.

And speaking of that, it would be nice if there was some way to approve of, upvote, or agree with posts other than quoting the whole thing and posting "me2". I can see why you wouldn't want the opposite, because some people feel bullied by downvotes, and sometimes that's even valid. But some way to mark a good/useful/insightful/funny post does nothing but celebrate good posters.

Thor
Blue Method discussion 31 Dec 02:45
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

is it even yuri? I see nothing but shoujo ai tho

Same thing. Yuri is the original and official term for all girlxgirl stuff. From what I recall, shoujo ai is just a term coined by the west to signify a lesbian relationship that focuses more on the platonic and "chaste" type of relationship while outright avoiding the explicit and steamy lesbian realtionships. If we were to go by western standards, then Strawberry Panic would probably be considered shoujo ai as most of the relationships there are sisterly and "chaste," with characters kissing and hugging each other but nothing more. That is, assuming I'm remembering Strawberry Panic correctly. Been years since I last watched the anime adaption.

With that said, if you look at the tags that are present on Dynasty you'll notice a "shoujo ai" tag doesn't exist. If this one-shot did need another tag then it might need the subtext tag as there isn't any obvious yuri. There's implied yuri, and depending on how you want to interpret this you could even say there's a yuri crush that the teacher has on her student. Course, I think yuri crush might be stretching it a bit, so perhaps keeping the yuri tag where it is would be best and just add the subtext tag next to it.

As long as the aggregator sites keep labelling things "shoujo-ai" this is going to persist in the West, since a good number of the scanlated works are read by people exclusively on these sites, despite everyone's best efforts to dissuade them. So really, the term (and the arguing about) "shoujo-ai" in the meaning of "romantic love between girls that doesn't advance (on screen) beyond maybe holding hands" is going to persist until something more satisfying memes itself into the collective consciousness.

As far as this work is concerned though, I don't see any yuri or shoujo-ai or verifiable signs of lesbianism at all. I'd personally suggest dropping the yuri tag and replacing it with subtext, which seems a lot more supportable.

Thor
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

You people need to face the bad and good. Relationships shouldn't be fantasized and this jot is one of em.

This is fiction, and all fiction is just fantasies. To say relationships shouldn't be fantasized means that you can't write fiction about the interaction of any two people, ever.

Also, if I want to read a lot of happy love stories, that's my choice, and it is not a moral failing.

Besides, if I wanted to see unhappy relationships, I can always turn on the news.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Why can the blacklist field only have 5 items in it?

I was going to solve my fanfiction-aversion with brute force. I was going to find the top twenty most popular derivative-work doujin subjects and blacklist them all so that I would only ever see series and Original Doujins. But no, only five items in the field.

I'm not asking the mods to put an "original" tag on every series and Original Doujin. I'm just asking for a larger blacklist so I can brute-force a clean search on my own.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Honestly, I'd prefer to read more stuff like this than stories filled with aaaaaaaaangst, or stories that promise yuri but deliver only subtext. (Not that I want to see any more of this, ever, but this was a lot less traumatic than some of the "vanilla" stories I've read here. And hey, at least this was over quickly.)

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

I think this is a good time for a side couple though.

There is never a good time for a side couple.

To be honest, all the side couple chapters to me have felt like the author going "Whoops! I forgot to write a new chapter, so here's a random doujin I wrote as filler instead. Sorry, LOL!"

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Just did my Calc BC hw on FTOC and even I don't know what the 3rd integral is! (jk there's no meaning).
Other than that, I vote yes on a sequel

Multiple integrals usually mean that the function has multiple variables with real values. Triple integrals are most often used for finding the value of a function that describes a three-dimensional volume. The function can be in Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) or polar coordinates (ρ, θ, φ).

Triple integrals can also be used for other multivariate formulas, like Maxwell's equation, but unless you are doing some hard-core physics, you will probably never run into them.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

On one hand, I want this to have the Aaaaaangst tag. On the other hand, this thing is way too over-the-top and melodramatic to take any angst seriously.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Breizh posted:

Hello, I don't know if it already exists or if it's possible to do but It would be nice to have an option to filter the doujins and pairings. I don't have the slightest interest for those and it's quite tedious when I'm searching in the directory.

When you search there is a "advanced" option, you can include and exclude tags there.

Yes, but mostly no.

Like Breizh above, I have no interest in doujins of any sort. But though in the Advanced Search, there is a check box to filter for only doujins, there is no way to filter for only Original Work. Theoretically, you could filter out about 99% of the derivative work doujins by sticking every "Character x OtherCharacter" tag in the "Without tags" box, but that is a ridiculous amount of work and you'd be better off just paging through and scanning by eye.

If all the Original works--both series and the "Original Doujins"--were tagged "Original", then it would be a simple matter to either include or exclude originals from your search.

Right now the closest you can get is a keyword search on "Original". This will get you all the grouped as "Original Doujin", as well as any work with anything with "Original" in the title. However it will not get any of the series that are not marked with the word Original, like Citrus, or many others.

I'm not sure if it would be easier for Dynasty to tag all the Original Works with "Original", or perhaps to include a checkbox in the advanced search that filters out pairings (which accounts for about 99% of the Derivative Work doujins), but either way, it would be a real boon for some of us.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Still not clear where that manga wants to go.

If it goes too much further down the gloom 'n' doom road, then it will require the aaaaaangst tag.

Thor
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

This is just a note to remind me to not accidentally re-read this story like I just did.

All good until that last-page twist, then bleah.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

trash

Well, that was refreshingly free of context or meaning. Good show!

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

That was pleasant, but inconsequential.

If a yuri could be a food, this one would be cotton candy.

Thor
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

I want to know what Yuzumori-san smells like

...Dude

I'm pretty sure of all the things she might smell like, she assuredly doesn't smell like dude.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

"Hey, we're both girls, aren't we?"

Yeah, that's some natural dialog there.

Thor
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

This was okay, but needed a few more daisy-chains.

Thor
Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

I know, I'm playing with the idea, who hasn't fell in love here?

Who here is between the ages of 5-10?

Wait...there are people here who aren't between the ages of 5-10?

There are tweens here?

...I need an adult.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

So...where's part one?

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Thanks Arckuno (or what's left of Binbou Scans...seriously i never knew they were inactive till i looked up their blogspot after reading this, what ever happened?) for more Tamamusi. I can relate to Aoi a 120%!

I'm not sure they want your thanks, considering that the scanlator credit page asked specifically that this work not be uploaded to Dynasty, putting us in the same category as Mangafox. Apparently, this place is now considered a hive of scum and villainy.

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

"We really are sisters".

There goes the yuri...

I take it you haven't read Citrus?