Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have not made any ad hominems. Suggesting that someone's argument isn't realistic or that they are in denial is not an ad hominem. Argumentum ad hominem is a logical fallacy whereby you attack someone's character to discredit their argument, and I'm not doing any of that. My argument that Reiichi is clearly cheating is based on the evidence which I cited in my post.

It is, Heavensrun, AD HOMINEM.

No, it literally isn't. Ad hominem does not mean "I feel offended by what you said". It's a specific term with a specific meaning.

Your argument is perhaps technically accurate, but still basically silly. Let's stipulate for a moment that you are not committing the fallacious argument technique of using a claim about someone's personality in an attempt to establish that what they say is false. Indeed, it appears almost the reverse--you're using your assessment of the inaccuracy of someone's stated beliefs as evidence for saying something negative about them personally. It doesn't make everything better.
The reason people object to the use of "ad hominem" in web conversations is not that they object to fallacious arguments. The reason people object is that it's rude to insult people and it leads to heated exchanges and people getting upset.

First of all, suggesting someone is in denial about something isn't even an insult, it's an assessment of their rationality.

Of course it's an insult. Why would something not be an insult just because it's an "assessment of their rationality"? Calling someone crazy, or a moron, et cetera et cetera are "assessments of their rationality" but obviously insults. Further, something does not stop being an insult merely because it is true, or you believe it to be true. Take Dick Cheney, for instance. I think the facts publicly available make it abundantly clear that the man is vicious, ruthless, deeply dishonest, powerhungry, greedy, and heartless. Indeed, for those who believe in the utility of the term "evil", I'd say a near consensus could be found for its application to that man. Even conservatives hate his guts. And yet, if I call Dick Cheney an evil, heartless, deeply dishonest, vicious, powerhungry money-grubber that is an insult. It doesn't cease to be an insult just because it is demonstrably true. It is an insult because it is a negative statement about the man.
If you say you are right and someone else is wrong, you are making a claim about the facts of the case. If you say they are wrong because they are in denial, you are making a negative claim about their psychology. You are saying there is something about them that makes them prefer a falsehood to the truth. Preferring lies to the truth is normatively considered bad, either evil or weak. Thus, it is an insult --whether it is true or not.

So, fine, you didn't use an ad hominem argument--you were just rude and insulting. Don't be. Also, when you say something not nice to someone and they get upset, don't spend paragraphs of sidestepping logic explaining why their objection has technical flaws, apologize for not being nice.

As as side note, I myself am convinced that the evidence is abundantly clear that cheating was going on, and in fact it's pretty much a definite that it was systematic long term cheating. So I agree with you on the facts of that issue. Just not your unnecessary extra.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 10:55PM

joined Nov 5, 2017

I'm intrigued and I'll definitely keep reading this, but I don't really get all the hype over this manga. When I read the first chapter I thought it was amazing and hoped for more, but the rest just felt meh tier for me. And all the discussion is about whether the husband cheated on Kaoru or not, as if the manga were a het story about them. Nothing wrong with that, it's just... A bit off considering this is a yuri story with Uta as the main character. Regarding Uta and Kaoru, well, not a lot of progress so far, they have their moments but they have always been close. I don't see them ending up together and I don't really mind if they do or not, but if they're endgame then I hope it will happen in a realistic way, not some cheap asspull. I'm not particularly interested in Kuro and her gf, but the gf is cute so I hope to see more of her (and why not, maybe a Uta x Miyabi end).

joined Mar 18, 2016

Should I read this?

Depends on what you like, it's pretty angsty but sweet sometimes. Try it and see for yourself, I guess.

Took your advice. I don't mind angst too much as long as the ending gives closure. I hope it will....

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Finally someone got that! God bless you, loudsea. God bless you.

I got it too, but you missed my counter reference... I'm sad now...

Oh, sorry! I'm so sorry! You're amazing! Marvelous! Beautiful! Please tell me it's not too late...

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Oh, sorry! I'm so sorry! You're amazing! Marvelous! Beautiful! Please tell me it's not too late...

It's okay now...

joined Jun 23, 2017

Holy shit, there's going to be so much more hate directed toward the husband.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I just read the raws, and.... ooh.... alright then, Reiichi....

last edited at Jan 22, 2018 5:13PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

I've just seen the preview images Chaosteam has put up on their FB, but I guess they already speak volume as to what will be happening during the chapter. Can't wait.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Kuroe and Reiichi are some real pieces of shit.

last edited at Jan 23, 2018 2:40PM

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I've just seen the preview images Chaosteam has put up on their FB, but I guess they already speak volume as to what will be happening during the chapter. Can't wait.

Ah, I just saw their post. Yeah, I was referring to that, haha...

joined Dec 19, 2016

If the husband did cheat (I kinda hope he didn't), I honestly would rather see the couple reconcile than her going to the sister. I think the sister's ending in this should be moving on and finding someone else.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

The husband's proportions are really off. A small head and a huuuuuge torso. It's a titan, isn't it?

joined Jun 12, 2015

^Yeah, the title page is creepy.

joined Jun 23, 2017

I think the sister's ending in this should be moving on and finding someone else.

That would be disappointing :(

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah well... the lies are piling up.

On every sides.

Untitled
joined May 15, 2014

can someone link me to the raws i cant seem to find the right link thanks

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

can someone link me to the raws i cant seem to find the right link thanks

If you want the raws to spoil yourself then hate to tell you that the scanlation is completely caught up.

Untitled%20design
joined Jul 13, 2016

Rei-Kuns body is like an abomination in the first few pages ._.;

joined Jun 23, 2017

Rei-Kuns body is like an abomination in the first few pages ._.;

yeah I don't how they ended up drawing him like that. It's really disproportionate and I didn't catch any flaw in their drawings up until know. I'm pretty much oblivious to minor errors or disproportion most of the time, but this one you can hardly miss.

I thought it was because of his sweater being very long, but even then.. Perhaps it's just lack of time, or perhaps it's intentional, to make him more menacing or something you should be wary of, something you shouldn't trust, maybe?

last edited at Jan 23, 2018 6:24PM

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

The idea of using yaoi-style proportions to make someone look more threatening is hilarious in general but in this context it kind of works. The man is literally over-extended.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

This is leaving me with an utter bad taste in my mouth.

7okxlebd
joined Oct 28, 2017

You're such a good girl! ( >~<) If only I could hug you!

Episode9-2
joined Mar 9, 2014

I find it nice that even with all the chaos that must be in her head at the moment, Kaoru still doesn't simply detatch completely from her husband; it seems like something that would happen irl

joined Jun 23, 2017

The idea of using yaoi-style proportions to make someone look more threatening is hilarious in general [...].

Oh that's where it's coming from, and it should be intentional then, that'd be good!

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

If the husband did cheat (I kinda hope he didn't), I honestly would rather see the couple reconcile than her going to the sister. I think the sister's ending in this should be moving on and finding someone else.

+1.... On a side note, I was smiling with the a.k.a.'s in the credits... :)

To reply you must either login or sign up.