Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

This should be tagged subtext, coz I don't see yuri.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

This should be tagged subtext, coz I don't see yuri.

Sure it has yuri - if you consider the whole work, not just this chapter. And yes we haven't seen much evidence it's not one sided - but it doesn't need to be mutual to count as yuri - just for one girl to love another.

There is no arguing Matsuri isn't in love with miss sunflower. But yuri isn't the stories focus.

last edited at Jun 14, 2017 2:19AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

elevown posted:

But I don't get the ??? miss sunflower thinks when Fuuko tells her she is the thing that Matsuri can get so passionate about. It's almost like she doesn't know Matsuri is in love with her? Do you think all this time she has never realised Matsuri was being serious? Doesn't seem possible.

A lack of self awareness and self-value could result in that.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Something else interesting I forgot to mention from the last chapter - Matsuri met miss sunflower when she was a kid :)
(Though I doubt they will ever remember it).

But importantly it shows their ages are closer than I thought!

Miss sunflower is in high school and Matsuri looked about 10? So they are only about 5-6 years apart. I'd always thought miss sunflower was late 20's but she is more like 22 , 23.

And it means she has only been running the shop for 4-5 years / and since the previous miss sunflower died - which is shorter / closer than I'd guessed.

last edited at Jun 14, 2017 7:08AM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

That was a fun chapter, I had good laughs. Himawari-san is too down to earth for the body swap scenario lol

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

"What's with that pointless paragraph?"

asked the pointless chapter....

cute though.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

This clearly is foreshadowing their first kiss, where they'll then swap bodies.

Wrong manga?

joined May 24, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch35#18

I loved the parody of pointless tragedy

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

It's the yurified version of your name! That was pretty much the best het movie I ever watched, so I definitely would not be opposed if Matsuri and Himawari ended up actually switching bodies somehow.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

That black box for the moment she was changing? It's not to make it seem like time passed. It's a huge censor bar for what Matsuri did while changing clothes.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

That black box for the moment she was changing? It's not to make it seem like time passed. It's a huge censor bar for what Matsuri did while changing clothes.

I'm actually a little surprised there was no "oh my god I've seen her underwear / I'm defiled forever / can't get married anymore (but gay marriage isn't legal so that's fine)" sort of thing.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Going back to the last chapter, that backwards sign always gets me. I know it's acceptable in Japan, but I never saw a live example. It just makes the bookstore that much quainter and cuter.

To clarify, I never saw in person a (linear) sign that went horizontally right-to-left, that I can recall. Obviously most signs with much writing on them went top-down, right-to-left. The Sunflower sign reads Ri-Wa-Ma-Hi by kana if you read left to right. Nonetheless, such signs are out there.

PS that's only for this sort of sign: you can't, like, choose to write horizontally and make it go right to left, that's considered weird, if more readable than it would be in English. This is called migi yokogaki, "right-horizontal writing." The normal L-R is just called yokogaki, and the normal up-down R-L is called tategaki. In general it suggests old-fashionedness.

last edited at Jul 24, 2017 4:26PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think this is one of the few body-swap stories I've seen in manga that doesn't have an immediate joke about feeling up her own chest, stripping, or heading off to the bathroom to check out the goods.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Wrong manga?

Why is Miss Sunflower suddenly selling new books for less than she buys used books for?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

That (ch35) was so cute. So much fun.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wrong manga?

Why is Miss Sunflower suddenly selling new books for less than she buys used books for?

Miss Sunflower is good at books, not business.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Rejoice my friends, Himawari san's manga finally got animated http://i.imgur.com/gcxaGiB.jpg

joined Sep 20, 2017

Wrong manga?

Miss Sunflower is good at books, not business.

Considering Miss Sunflower doesn't have an actuve lifestyle so her expense would be very low. She owns the shop and the living quaters so she's not paying rent or maintenance fees, therefore besides daily living expenses she really doesn't have to use money for anything else. All the income from the shop is more than enough for her to buy new books. She also explained in one of the earlier chapters that she also goes to old bookshops to buy books she likes to read and would resell it when she finished. Assuming she keeps the books very well preserved, a new book that she bought for $30 could be resold at $28, and the next time she goes to buy books and she sees the book at $25, she could take the price down to $23 and she would still be able to sell it. After a while her bookstore would be known to have good quality books for the cheapest price so more people will come to buy, since there is only one copy per book, those looking for a certain new book will likely come more frequently around it's release time to buy it after her. It's actually not a bad idea, she effectively manage to combine both her cost of leisure and cost of stock into one.

That is ofcourse assuming she is actually giving her bookstore a competitive edge.

Anyways...sorry long post. Just wanted to say I live this story, I love everyones relationship with each other i only wished there was more yuri. I feel that the story is more about Miss Sunflower and Matsuri are really only going to help each other move on from their current static life, I'm afraid at the end of this journey, Miss Sunflower will get over her previous namesake and sell the shop and move on with her life, I get the feeling she will leave the country or something. While Matsuri will enter University, free from her fears and with the courage and confidence to reach her life potentials and really make a go at a successful future. I fear that years down the track when they may possibly meet up again, it would be friendship only between them.

I was(am still) a hard Nana and Marimite shipper and had my heart broken.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Naw, this will end exactly like Amber Teahouse except with books instead of tea and sweets.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

For a moment, I was like "Is editor-chan whispering to Himawari that Matsuri is some kind of special?!", but the story is so sweet that I can forgive the lack of yuri. It's nice for Himawari to realise how much she has changed the Himawari bookstore for the better. I hope she realises that Matsuri had some work in this.

I'm not sure if it's okay for her to try and become somebody else, no matter how much hollow she felt before. Though, this is probably a good thing that Himiwari is becoming her own version of a librarian and that she realises it.

Naw, this will end exactly like Amber Teahouse except with books instead of tea and sweets.

I think this is in this thread I heard about Amber Teahouse, but I'm not sure Himawari is reciprocating Matsuri's feelings while, if I remember correctly, the shopkeeper in the Amber teahouse is not indifferent to the younger protagonist behaviour. I also hope for the same kind of ending, of course.

last edited at Oct 17, 2017 11:01AM

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I think the joke at the end of this chapter can be made to work in English. Some possibliities:

"Himawari-san, 's a lot prettier than before."

The "'s" being an undervoiced "it's" that's makes "Himawari-san, it is" misheard as "Himawari-san is." This mimics the dropping of pronouns in Japanese in a way that sounds more natural in English.

Or, use punctuation to make the intent clearer:

"Himawari-san--'s a lot prettier than before."

The dashes represent an introductory clause or an omission.

Or, taking some more liberty with the text:

"Himawari is a lot prettier than before."

This creates a scandalous ambiguity between referring to the bookstore and being very forward by complimenting her while not using an honorific.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Small adults are soooo cwuuuuteee!!!!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

...the shopkeeper in the Amber teahouse is not indifferent to the younger protagonist behaviour. I also hope for the same kind of ending, of course.

Their reactions aren't that far apart, though. Sure, Himawari, having more chapters and a greater age gap is far slower and maybe it all comes to nothing, but:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch13#16
This sort of stuff could be Amber Teahouse just as easily. Clearly not complete indifference at least.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

So tiny and cute

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Klice posted:

For a moment, I was like "Is editor-chan whispering to Himawari that Matsuri is some kind of special?!", but the story is so sweet that I can forgive the lack of yuri. It's nice for Himawari to realise how much she has changed the Himawari bookstore for the better. I hope she realises that Matsuri had some work in this.

I think that's basically more or less where the recent chapters have been going really. It seems to be making it a point to drive it home that Matsuri holds some special place in Miss Sunflower's heart. Whether it's a romantic place or not hasn't been addressed though.

I think this in this thread I heard about Amber Teahouse, but I'm not sure Himawari is reciprocating Matsuri's feelings while, if I remember correctly, the shopkeeper in the Amber teahouse is not indifferent to the younger protagonist behaviour. I also hope for the same kind of ending, of course.

Amber Teahouse goes about it much the same as this is though. For a good chunk of the story you only really see things from Sarasa's point of view. It's only in the later part of the story that you get anything actually solid from Seriho's side of things.

To reply you must either login or sign up.