Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Your examples have nothing to do with what I asked. I asked for a list of manga with a similar situation as this chapter and you have provided nothing of the sort. Instead you give a list of manga of girls coming out of the closet. I can only assume that you think that coming out stories is bad writing.

what I said is that if you're going to put additional value to it you shouldn't even bother.

You said no such thing. You simply stated "This is plain bad writing. Other authors achieve more in a oneshot than Milk in a Series." At this point you still have not explained how it is bad writing, unless you think using tropes automatically makes it bad.

Husky and Medley is based on a 2chan story. Same way Marimite is a light novel. Putting pretty drawings on top doesn't stop them from having a different origin and serving different purposes.

Do you not understand the dissonance there between your previous claim that art style somehow matters in how realistic a story can be?

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 9:21AM

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

I liked it. lol
I think it's because I feel the author doesn't need to change her style or something. There are new great Yuri authors now where I can read the non-stereotype works from. Well, I guess I simply enjoy Yuri regardless of whether or not it's cliche. :)

Thank you for the translation. <3

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I don't have to provide a list. If "I'm going to say I'm normal to not scare my love interest" doesn't ring a bell you have not read enough yuri or you are a zealot and I have no further business with you.

Also, putting pretty drawings on top of a previous story doesn't change a thing. If you haven't figured out how this industry works maybe you're still in the discovering phase and it is really hard to have an adult conversation.

I'm out.

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

I'm out.

Good.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nevri posted:

I don't mind it, but not when it takes entire story and then once it is finally solved, the series ends.

This reminds me of what's probably my biggest complaint with the genre. There's very few mangas like Girl Friends. There's plenty that deal with everything leading up to a relationship and there's plenty dealing with everything after that point but there's surprisingly few stories that have both. This is unfortunately true even with a lot of my favorites in the genre.

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

Meh, I like it. And obv, thanks for the translation.

Hyewon%20blush-1%2041
joined Dec 15, 2013

Honestly, I don't know what the fuss is about "overused tropes" because aren't they overused in mainstream, non-yuri manga or other forms of entertainment too? Why is it that yuri manga has to be special and immune to tropes? And if you don't like it, just don't read it. Why read it and then complain about it, to other people who actually enjoy it?

I like Hana and Hina because it's an easy, fluffy read. Is it the best or most original yuri manga I've read? No. But I enjoy it and it makes me happy whenever I get an update email from Dynasty Scans, and that's good enough for me.

And on the manga itself - why Hina, whyyyy. But at least there's some progress on Hana's part, because she's gotten to think about herself and Hina as a possible item. I just hope she doesn't get all angsty and starts avoiding Hina because can they just kiss, already.

joined Jan 7, 2016

Now that it's licensed, does this mean no more reading this online? =(

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Now that it's licensed, does this mean no more reading this online? =(

This has been licensed since the end of chapter 1, I wouldn't worry. We'll keep scanlating as long as we can. However, be sure to buy the official releases! If we don't all do our part by buying the official releases, we hurt the mangaka by not supporting them. I would donate to Morinaga if I could!

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

And Morinaga strikes again, shocking.

That said, is kind of interesting how she remains holding up to what used to be standards of the genre more than 20 years ago. I mean, her characters would probably have a stroke if they were to watch Valkyrie Drive or one of Ogino's recent works.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

Yeahh I figured she wasn't actually her ex. I just couldn't expect Morinaga Milk to be bold enough to write an already established lesbian character.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

I read the rest of this story in Japanese just before this chapter came out, and I, at least, really enjoyed it; it didn't seem in any way stale to me. I'm sure I'll love it even more when I see it in English. But then, Morinaga-sensei is one of my top favorite artists, and I think she's one of the great mamgaka's out there.

No spoilers in this comment, I did that pages ago. And I'm out of here for now.

Richardevans
joined Jun 1, 2016

Oh man, I really like black yukata. Anyway, it's pretty obvious that the story isn't getting bogged down in pointless drama. I'd also like to add that I like yuri best 90% unoriginal, I'm in for the cute cliches. Seems like this series is gonna end at perfect length.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

I don't have to provide a list. If "I'm going to say I'm normal to not scare my love interest" doesn't ring a bell you have not read enough yuri or you are a zealot and I have no further business with you.

Also, putting pretty drawings on top of a previous story doesn't change a thing. If you haven't figured out how this industry works maybe you're still in the discovering phase and it is really hard to have an adult conversation.

I'm out.

I asked specifically for a list of mangas giving a similar situation of a girl getting her hopes up that her love interest was gay only to crash and burn, You failed to do that. Instead you want to make a huge generalization to connect the red yarn.

You have also not given a single reason as to why a story told with a moe art style can't be realistic, that has absolutely nothing to do with how the industry works.

Still waiting on why you think it's bad writing.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cannibal posted:

I asked specifically for a list of mangas giving a similar situation of a girl getting her hopes up that her love interest was gay only to crash and burn,

You'd find this kind of setup in one-shots rather than in series, because yuri series tend to make the characters end up together anyway.

You have also not given a single reason as to why a story told with a moe art style can't be realistic, that has absolutely nothing to do with how the industry works.

I'd second that. Hanjuku Joshi is moe and realistic in some aspects.

Edit: found one. Though it's not the best example.

Edit 2 : found another one by Morinaga, no less... So she already used that kind of setup.

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 4:03PM

joined Apr 28, 2016

For others who don't read tags: The first one starts cute and ends with weirdly handled rape so don't go there looking for a cute story.

last edited at Jan 22, 2017 4:39PM

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 10, 2010

No, my points are directed at Orestes and Anonko who seem to think that a story about teenagers coming out of the closet is somehow now automatically bad writing. The Morinaga should write about something else as if there was a shortage of fluff or drama filled adult stories. Apparently there is no shortage of coming out stories so Morinaga should just stop for whatever reason.

I'm not talking about this series in particular, I'm talking about Morinaga's writing as a whole lately. I didn't know there was a special thread just for Morinaga as an author, otherwise I'd have taken my comment there. I'll leave my thoughts about Morinaga as a mangaka there now.

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

Nooooo Hina why would you say such a thing ;_;

staaaahp lying to yourself pls

or I slap you

....what did you JUST SAAAAYYY, HIIIINNNAAAAAA?!??? "NORMAL"?!?! I'M GONNA KICK THE YURI IN YOUR MOUTH TOO!!! VIVA YUUUURRIIIIII

joined Feb 23, 2016

FML!!! I want more chapters damn it!! :'>

Severa%20icon
joined Sep 3, 2016

> chapter 10 page 23 <<

she's already in love with you, m8

but it's okay, you don't know that yet.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Based upon how the chapter ended ("the incident" occurring just past the middle point), it's probably a long shot, but there is an opportunity for the mangaka to do something different by having Hina notice that Hana was not put off by her misreading of the the situation with the friend. Maiko didn't seem to mind either, actually (but maybe she only has the "it's just play" context and did not pick up on on Hana's "I thought it was real..." context).

--Did anyone else notice that Hina and Maiko look almost exactly the same on page 21? That's totally distracted me now. Ha-ha...

Regardless of the build up, Hana's inevitable failure to deny her feelings resonated (painfully) with me. I appreciate the entire handling of that sequence--from her maintaining a "I'm fine" facade to finish her shift and her day only to break down when she's finally alone with her thoughts in the tub. Hina's homophobia is so internalized she cannot have a clue as to the damage she wrought with that off-handed "explanation" for the confusion.

Hana is developing nicely. I hope we get to see some progress in Hina beyond closeted blushes over touching, etc.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Everything reduces to one thing, if I'm understanding what you're saying: Yuri is overrode with cliches. The fact that most of the audience of Yuri manga doesn't seem to mind these overused cliches is one of the chief reasons why we get the same scenario over and over and over again. And in that, you are absolutely right.

But calling it "bad writing" just because Milk Morinaga refuse to ever leave the comfort zone? I would say that's going a little too far. Call it "lazy writing", sure, but the thing is, Morinaga's stronghold is not story, it's character building. And you have to admit that's done fairly good in all of Milk's works.

So yeah, your complains are all too justified, but that doesn't means it's bad writing. Originality is not what you expect from Milk's works, just like common sense is not what you expect from that NTR stupid parade that somehow got an anime adaptation

last edited at Jan 23, 2017 4:15AM

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Just want to say, I'm in complete agreement with the last two posts.

Aukimaya, totally off-topic sorry, but would mind telling me where your avatar is from? I can't remember reading that and that victory pose looks like a winner to me

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/chio_chan_no_tsuugakuro

Although I don't know which chapter/page it's from. :(

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Everything reduces to one thing, if I'm understanding what you're saying: Yuri is overrode with cliches. The fact that most of the audience of Yuri manga doesn't seem to mind these overused cliches is one of the chief reasons why we get the same scenario over and over and over again. And in that, you are absolutely right.

But calling it "bad writing" just because Milk Morinaga refuse to ever leave the comfort zone? I would say that's going a little too far. Call it "lazy writing", sure, but the thing is, Morinaga's stronghold is not story, it's character building. And you have to admit that's done fairly good in all of Milk's works.

So yeah, your complains are all too justified, but that doesn't means it's bad writing. Originality is not what you expect from Milk's works, just like common sense is not what you expect from that NTR stupid parade that somehow got an anime adaptation

Still what heck... I loved Girlfriends and Secret Recipe. Those were great and well Girlfriends is probably what they're most known for. I honestly don't like this cliche. It is one of my most hated cliches in existence. I jokingly said,"Morinaga now we're a bad romance...You freaking sellout." Followed by mock sobbing. I can't express just how much I hate it. That's my thoughts anyway. I mean I'll still read it since I love Morinaga.

To reply you must either login or sign up.