Forum › Yuri Danshi discussion

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Nezchan

Um....there are transphobic folks who think trans people are doing exactly that.

Not that I think the author is aware of that or even knows much about trans issues in the first place. Their intent was to satirize a trope, the Unintended Consequence is it's pretty uncomfortable for some folks.

I know that some transphobic people think trans people are doing that and I'm not arguing against that, my point is that the scene was not made to be purposely transphobic (at least I hope so...), because by the way some people talk about the scene I get the impression that they believe the author made it to be transphobic on purpose, looking like that depending on how you see it is just an unfortunate side effect of trying to be funny with a character that overreacts, so people either end up finding his overreaction hilarious or just not funny at all because of how it can look, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not trying to be transphobic, at least in my opinion.

This chapter kind of makes me remember of Murcielago, that someone complained that a chapter was transphobic even though it was never presented like that at all, I agree that the way the scene can look is bad and will make some uncomfortable, but complaing because the scene can look transphobic and complaining as if the scene/character are made to be transphobic are completely different things.

As for the author knowing about trans issues, taking in account how Japan is, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have much idea of gays issues in general even though he's a yuri mangaka, much less trans issues, honestly, I kind of wondered why in Keisuke internal monologue he never thought if the boy in question was not actually trans person and dismissed that possibility since he was using the male bathroom, at least in my opinion if the mangaka wanted to make it ambiguous or imply that it was a trans person the character wouldn't have used the male bathroom, I mean, trans people prefer to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with even if they didn't made the transition yet right? But if he did thought of that and the scene happened in the same way, instead of maybe looking transphobic wouldn't it look like some kind of attack against people who are non-binary? Really, the way the mangaka made the scene, even with a few changes I'm not sure there would be a way to make it without looking unconfortable to someone, it was probably a lost battle from the beginning unless he completely remade the scene.

If Nanoha isn't yuri.....

Wow.

Nanoha yuri? What you're talking about? Nanoha and Fate are nothing more than two straight best friends who have being completely smitten and in love with each other ever since they met when they were 9, who eventually started to live together, have bath together, eat together, sleep together in a really big bed, adopted Vivio together who sees both as her mom, and call themselves the Takamachi family, not to mention the other girls like for example Hayate and Signum, Subaru and Teana, Vivio and Einhart, who are also completely and definitely straight, I honestly don't understand why people think they're gay and a couple, c'mon guys, there's like no homo at all in there.

"Your large wall of text offends me!"
- Totally offended person.

joined Jan 14, 2015

Yeah, as a trans woman this chapter made me feel super uncomfortable, even if the character isn't exactly trans it reminded me of experiences I've had.

I did like the first two chapters so let's hope this is just a bad chapter but it made me feel really tense and almost a bit ill.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not that I think the author is aware of that or even knows much about trans issues in the first place. Their intent was to satirize a trope, the Unintended Consequence is it's pretty uncomfortable for some folks.

I know that some transphobic people think trans people are doing that and I'm not arguing against that, my point is that the scene was not made to be purposely transphobic (at least I hope so...), because by the way some people talk about the scene I get the impression that they believe the author made it to be transphobic on purpose, looking like that depending on how you see it is just an unfortunate side effect of trying to be funny with a character that overreacts, so people either end up finding his overreaction hilarious or just not funny at all because of how it can look, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not trying to be transphobic, at least in my opinion.

Hanlon's Razor applies: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Again, the author clearly didn't intend it to be taken that way. That doesn't make it less uncomfortable. It just means the author wasn't being a jerk.

joined Jun 12, 2015

If Nanoha isn't yuri.....

Wow.

Umm, Nanoha is confirmed yuri? Since when?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Uh....who is Nanoha?

You best be trollin'.

In the off chance that you are not in fact trolling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Girl_Lyrical_Nanoha

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/LyricalNanoha (Of particular note: this page)

http://dynasty-scans.com/doujins/nanoha

Sorry, this is the first time I heard about that anime.

My preference for anime was always more about classic 80s/90s shounen anime like DBZ, Jojo Bizarre Adventure and City Hunter. I never liked Sailor Moon like anime. Unless it contains yuri which the genre i recently got into.

Then you should watch it. Underneath the magical girl exterior lies a shounen mecha story.

If it isn't yuri then i won't watch magical girl series. Its just i find it odd to enjoy them.

I was vaguely aware of NanoFate, but I never actually knew much about it nor looked it up until yesterday, when I checked out the trope page linked here. I loved City Hunter, I read all of DB, and I remember watching and liking the magical girls anime that were broadcast on tv, tho I hated mecha and just switched channels legit every time.
Anyways, i admit that I'm curious about it now, regardless of mecha. I'll check it out at one point

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Hanlon's Razor applies: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Again, the author clearly didn't intend it to be taken that way. That doesn't make it less uncomfortable. It just means the author wasn't being a jerk.

This. Author wasn't being an asshole, their character was, but that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable and haunting for the lot of trans folks who have had such experiences.

Images
joined Feb 9, 2015

When I realized that I have read all yuri mangas that mentioned in this manga lol

Kachinsky
joined Oct 12, 2016

This ain't yuri. This is Meta-Yuri. Hell yeah!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What level of yuri are you on now, my dude?

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

Hell yeah!!!!

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Doesn't matter: we need to go deeper.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Doesn't matter: we need to go deeper.

That's what she said. >__>

Bleach_589___giselle_gewelle_alux-d7quz%20(1)
joined Dec 2, 2014

The first two Chapters were exactly how I felt as Yuri Fan before I came out as trans.

The third chapter was rather disappointing. Not because of this whole transphobia controversy the people were shitting about here, but because with the crossdressing and het tag I would have wished that this manga developes more of a story and that the Prot has his first crossdressing, maybe leading into the trans direction. There are by far too few Mangas about lesbian transwomen.

8tc1g5p728ou6b8fr5uq-yx0aodkzwwclm-riyo2awm
joined Sep 11, 2015

Anyone know the magazine at page 15?

joined Nov 23, 2016

i hope these get update, its really awasome, and i can feel sooooo related to mc, continue it please

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Legitimate creeps when this chapter talks about general yuri threads

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

What if the author know's about Dynasty Reader ?! DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNN !

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I think the artist really likes to draw his face getting hit in close-ups

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

I think the artist really likes to draw his face getting hit in close-ups

I think a lot of manga artists like doing that.

joined Jun 3, 2014

I guess I'm a Yuri Joshi

joined Sep 19, 2015

Almost as real as KC Green's The Anime Club.

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

He speaks for all of us.

Rsz_1465926231839
joined Jun 24, 2015

this chapter made too much sense. heavily male dominated places that focus on yuri need to be disbanded. like, for example, chans with a Yuri board for starters. men seem to ruin EVERYTHING that's pure. I hope reincarnation is a real thing so I can be a beautiful lesbian in the next life

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

What if the author know's about Dynasty Reader ?! DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNN !

Then she'd know how much people love her other stuff?

joined Nov 23, 2016

i loved the chapter but that was too deep, the general yuri threads and the yuri magazines line up, and history, oh god it feel too real and, undestanding all of that make me feel so..... good

all for yuri, yuri for all

last edited at Dec 12, 2016 2:29AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.