Forum › Nico Chan of Butcher discussion

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

I think i got diabetes from this. And I'm okay with it.

last edited at Apr 18, 2015 10:58PM

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

I'd throw away all the "-chan"'s. And replace Lin's "Nya" w/ "Meow".

But it's so much easier reading this in the real characters' voices thanks to the "-chan" and Rin's "Nya~".

Btw the ending escalates so quickly but it was so cute I died. Happy birthday Maki-chan! And a big thank you to rex, shima, alice and onee-sama for making my day so much better.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Next up wedding! Thanks for the dose of diabetes!

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

This was a really interesting challenge to translate. I've not had much experience with long-form translation in quite a while, and then I wanted to keep the 'children's book' feel to the language as well...

How'd I do, d'ya think?

My personal preference is to keep in the name honorifics if it makes sense in context. Japanese schoolgirls? Yes, they get them. Some kind of non-Japanese setting like Ghost in the Shell, for example? It doesn't make much sense here, so I'd probably leave them out. In general, my experience is that people seem to like seeing the honorifics, but I guess this is more of what you personally enjoy.

Also my ideal state would be to go full on cat puns a la Monster Hunter 4U's Felynes, but it is actually rather hard to swing this. Requires a good editor to help me out a lot. And in any case, MH4U's cats say nya, so I think Rin-chan can say nya too. :P

But thank you for your thoughts, honestly, I really do appreciate feedback (I get so little of it).

Ava2
joined Jun 11, 2014

So happy this got re-released (I guess?) I reread the original one so many times so this was a much needed respite from my studying. Cute art and great expressions.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

she gets to eat meat everyday

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

This was a really interesting challenge to translate. I've not had much experience with long-form translation in quite a while, and then I wanted to keep the 'children's book' feel to the language as well...

How'd I do, d'ya think?

Is that a fact or opinion?

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

Moe as fuck.

This art is so cuuute~

2015-01-21%2018.42.01
joined May 17, 2014

Aw this was cute! I'm a little sad to see no tsun but still great. Thanks Rex and Shima!

Happy Birthday Maki!!!!'

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Second year students need not apply. I wonder, why a butcher?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

That was absurdly cute

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

Probably because of S2 Ep4 where they think Nico is selling meat at a supermarket.

Part of it is that 'niku' (meat) and 'Nico' are so similar.

last edited at Apr 19, 2015 4:01AM

joined Apr 14, 2013

No words can describe how freaking cute this was

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

Rex-san!!! I've been waiting for this!! How could I missed this yesterday!?
Thank you so much! I love you and Fugace-sama!
I sounded so ecstatic..sorry sugar rush..

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

Probably because of S2 Ep4 where they think Nico is selling meat at a supermarket.

Part of it is that 'niku' (meat) and 'Nico' are so similar.

I sometimes say her name as Niku... I'm probably messed up in the head...

It would have been wild if my school had allowed us to fry meat in the classroom.

I thought I was the only one who thought it was wild... and a big one to boot.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

How'd I do, d'ya think?

Personally I feel like I lose a part of the information about the characters' connection between each others when the honorifics are dropped. I've seen teams who just drop all of them and even go as far as replace a character who is reffered to as "senpai" by the characters name and maybe even other things I didn't noticed. So when I don't see them, i don't know what else have I have missed for the sake of total translation.

The honorifics are meaningful and untranslatable. When I see words like baka or neko, I can be annoyed but not the honorifics.

last edited at Apr 19, 2015 7:25AM

Tumblr_mqinmkbx2d1rryr50o1_1280
joined Jun 11, 2013

I work as a butcher for already 6 years now, Where did my maki chan go!

joined Jan 17, 2014

yeah it's cute til the end but ... whut the moe fuk

What's this?!? Isn't this just tooo CUUUTE?! >~<
Btw i don't think Maki needs to become a butcher too, i mean isn't she RICH as HELL?? XD

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

She might not need to, but it's more adorable that way, don't you think?

joined Aug 23, 2014

happy b'day maki. and thats it so mauch meat

Test
joined Apr 30, 2015

How'd I do, d'ya think?

Quite late and I don't know Japanese to comment on that but I just wanted to say I thought it flowed really well and was delightful to actually read. It really did have that kind of nostalgic feeling of childrens books from so long ago so I, personally, felt you did a really nice job on it. Thanks a lot for doing it ^_^

joined Jan 22, 2015

It would have been wild if my school had allowed us to fry meat in the classroom.

My Physics teacher let us make pancakes in his morning class. Man those were the days.

joined Aug 16, 2015

I wish I could have had a friend that'd treat me to meat on lunch breaks during my high school years... My diet consisted mostly of potato chips I'd buy in the nearest shop during that time. Yeah... Those were fun times.

Reimu-shock
joined Mar 27, 2015

This should be an introduction book for a yuri children

To reply you must either login or sign up.