Forum › Philosophia discussion

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Wait... there's a brother? When did... what? People here are saying that wasn't Tomo, but it clearly was. I'm confused.

If it was Tomo, I think she would be/look a older, lot's of time passed and Ai would recognize her quickly.

last edited at May 24, 2015 3:02PM

joined May 1, 2013

This is one of the most confusing endings I've ever seen in any medium. Leaving aside everything else... if the sibling was born after Tomo disappeared, that means that Ai is at least twenty years older than him or her. And his/her professor. And second place to a dead person. This does not strike me as the blossoming of a positive romantic relationship.

Really, actually, I'm most baffled by the pimp thing. I guess it fits in the theme of Ai avoiding the easy life where people just cater to her because of her looks, but in such a strange way, it's incredibly distracting. If the love interest wasn't secretly a lesbian pimp, the whole plot would go a lot smoother. Good general rule for writing fiction.

last edited at May 24, 2015 3:03PM

joined Aug 4, 2014

Chapters' order seems wrong, I feel like I missed something.

Anyway, I will join the chorus of disappointed. That pimp thing was kind of an asspull, no hints or build up whatsoever. Of course to add some more drama Tomo had to be killed -.- I'm kind of used to sad endings, but this one feels rushed and unnatural. At least we get a kiss for a goodbye, but still... Nah.

joined Aug 11, 2014

If I had to say something about this, I'd probably call it a story about being in love with a chronically depressed person? I feel like it all fits together, in that light. Her empty room, her unsociable nature, the way she was always tired and late to class even though she was never really busy, her cold refusal to connect with the people who care about her in spite of her private sentimentality and longing for contact, the aimlessness of drifting around in college with no meaningful intention of graduating, her vague decision to "travel", with no particular destination, even though she'd necessarily been saving up money for years to do so, her mysterious end in some far away place, where nobody knew who she was... Oh, come to think of it, in that last scene with Ai, she freely gives away the books she'd chosen to take with her, returning the lighter, uncharacteristically letting Ai see more of her feelings than probably anyone else has in years. It's actually quite normal behaviour, among people who have decided to commit suicide. As is everything we ever saw of her.

If it's like that, it's understandable why the entire story seemed so lacklustre and nonsensical for many people. The behaviour of depression is basically incomprehensible if you try to rationalise it in terms of how healthy people think, no wonder it makes no sense. It's alienating, but to a very specific kind of person, it feels deeply, chokingly familiar.

Man. Now I want a cigarette.

last edited at May 24, 2015 3:17PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

For the chapters numbering, I feel like it should be chapter 4 instead of 6. Like that it follow the number on the doujins(?)' cover and there is no gap

last edited at May 24, 2015 3:19PM

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

I really dont get what everyone is talking about this sibling of Tomo. Where is he?

joined Jan 8, 2014

Its highly likely that Tomo just fed Ai a line of bullshit to drive her away from her...or that Ai was just enamored with Tomo and knew nothing about her...
I dunno some explanation for the pimp thing
shrug either way death is a strong influence in everyones life, and I think the story is just cementing in how even one person no matter how little you know of them could possibly change your life forever....
but there are alot of philosophical points...especially with that ending...

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I really dont get what everyone is talking about this sibling of Tomo. Where is he?

Past the credits

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Wait... there's a brother? When did... what? People here are saying that wasn't Tomo, but it clearly was. I'm confused.

OHHH I FINALLY GET IT GUYS. The person at the very end is Tomo's sister that was born after she disappeared. The brother was already alive when Tomo was in college. That is the sister(who somehow looks a lot like Tomo)

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

If I had to say something about this, I'd probably call it a story about being in love with a chronically depressed person? I feel like it all fits together, in that light. Her empty room, her unsociable nature, the way she was always tired and late to class even though she was never really busy, her cold refusal to connect with the people who care about her in spite of her private sentimentality and longing for contact, the aimlessness of drifting around in college with no meaningful intention of graduating, her vague decision to "travel", with no particular destination, even though she'd necessarily been saving up money for years to do so, her mysterious end in some far away place, where nobody knew who she was... Oh, come to think of it, in that last scene with Ai, she freely gives away the books she'd chosen to take with her, returning the lighter, uncharacteristically letting Ai see more of her feelings than probably anyone else has in years. It's actually quite normal behaviour, among people who have decided to commit suicide. As is everything we ever saw of her.

If it's like that, it's understandable why the entire story seemed so lacklustre and nonsensical for many people. The behaviour of depression is basically incomprehensible if you try to rationalise it in terms of how healthy people think, no wonder it makes no sense. It's alienating, but to a very specific kind of person, it feels deeply, chokingly familiar.

See, if the story would've ended with Tomo leaving and Ai moving on it would've been a good if dissapointing ending. Adding Tomo's extraofficial activities, the suicide, Ai hung up on her love for a people she really never truly knew and the magical identical looking kid at the end throws any theme and seriousness of the story's message out of the window and renders the whole thing pointless.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Ai hung up on her love for a people she really never truly knew and the magical identical looking kid at the end throws any theme and seriousness of the story's message out of the window and renders the whole thing pointless.

^ has a more than just valid point

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I feel bad for laughing at the revelation of her death, but i couldn't help it

I didn't but I almost felt I should.
It reminded me of some dramatic anime I didn't like where an adult chased a ball into the street, got ran over and died.
I was like . . . yeah. Alright. Sure.

But in this story it was

Spoiler!* she's a leaving. She's a pimp. Now she's dead! And you get hit with this all with in one chapter Spoiler end.

Aside from that, I think it was a pretty good story. I could see someone going through something crazy like this.

When Ai asked Tomo to sell her too it seemed like a pretty good, if odd, attempt to cement a stronger relationship. I liked that.

Mudou%20ayana
joined Oct 29, 2013

Why, Amano Shuninta, why?

joined Sep 15, 2013

Well thank you for writing this, I would've never seen the series in the light that you described it as, it actually makes sense if you look at it that way, but the other girl still being in love with the person just doesn't seem to be a possibility...or maybe it does because of what she says at the airport, but does a sudden revelation such as what the light haired girl seem to have had change your personality type which seemed to be one of a pragmatic person not interested in love, to one of the waiting for you always type of woman?

last edited at May 24, 2015 4:03PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I feel bad for laughing at the revelation of her death, but i couldn't help it

I didn't but I almost felt I should.
It reminded me of some dramatic anime I didn't like where an adult chased a ball into the street, got ran over and died.
I was like . . . yeah. Alright. Sure.

I found it like "Tomo died on her way to her home planet"

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

Honestly, I feel this was one of Shuninta's lesser works.
Is this the last chapter? Assuming it is from the afterword.

last edited at May 24, 2015 4:21PM

Kitsune Inari
joined Jul 20, 2011

Spoiler!* she's a leaving. She's a pimp. Now she's dead! And you get hit with this all with in one chapter Spoiler end.

And now she's reincarnated in her new younger sister!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The last chapter is... uuuh... what?

Let's just forget it. It was so good until that.

%d0%a1%d0%bd%d0%b8%d0%bc%d0%be%d0%ba
joined Nov 10, 2013

I have a feeling that author just didn't know how to continue the story or had to finish it fast, so he/she just "aw fuk it, she flies away and die and main character is alone forever and then... aw yes, let's make 'after xxx years' useless scene to fill some space... OH AND LET'S MAKE HER A PIMP".

last edited at May 24, 2015 5:00PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

Well that was my mistake, saying it was her brother. Should've read closely, but still yeah, it should be more than a 20 year gap between the 'new' Tomo and Ai. Plus the final chapter was.. I don't know.. It's pointless.

And I'll say it again chapter 3.5 and chapter 5 are the same thing. If someone could tell a mod?

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

What even happened

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Amano Shuninta-sensei...I love,love,love her work...I was looking forward reading this title as well...and ..this is..well..so what? what is that sister who looks exactly like Tomo having to do with the whole thing? "Yo, I'll replace my sis who you've been clinging to for freaking 20 years"... aha..and she was a pimp,that's "ok" I guess..but..what?

-so confused about how to feel-

Why? Why did you do this T_T ???

joined Oct 13, 2014

Whelp...what a waste or waiting....

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

Amano Shuninta-sensei...I love,love,love her work...I was looking forward reading this title as well...and ..this is..well..so what? what is that sister who looks exactly like Tomo having to do with the whole thing? "Yo, I'll replace my sis who you've been clinging to for freaking 20 years"... aha..and she was a pimp,that's "ok" I guess..but..what?

-so confused about how to feel-

Why? Why did you do this T_T ???

Lol basically this... I have no way to express how this entire story felt... from beginning to end.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

well that escalated quickly.

To reply you must either login or sign up.