Forum › Boyfriend discussion

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

A little cis-normative but hey they're kids and figuring things out still so w/e it was cute.

edit: Yikes the drama on this one!! Backreading that was a blast wow.

Yeah the author wrote this with a fairly cis-normative lens but let's not attack the characters people! They are how old, like 14, 15? A tad too young to blame for those imperfections don't you think?

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 12:00AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

The tittle pissed me off... the start pissed me off... is meno related to yui_7? The art looks similar

Df7ba038-3b8a-4300-a962-4557b0d51e8b
joined Mar 20, 2014

I guess you can't be butch if you wanna be considered a girl. Honestly this one annoyed me like what you can't see Yuuko as a girl cuz she has short hair get tf over yourself

Rsz_youravatar_3
joined Jun 30, 2015

Let's not be biased about this. If we're talking about being selfish, it's not as if Yuuko isn't guilty. Yuuko, forcing herself to play the part of a man, neglects that her feelings won't get through to Risa if she doesn't say anything. She makes no issue about it before suddenly dumping everything on Risa and, all by herself, concludes that she's alone in the relationship without clarifying with Risa, even trying to break it off on a moment's notice.

I'm not hating on Yuuko here, people are imperfect, that's part of the point. I get that people here are sensitive to gender issues, but seriously there's not even any ill will here. You disagree with what they say, that's fine, but that's no reason to bitch over the issue for 2 pages. It's really not adding anything to the discussion, state your mind and let it go.

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 12:35AM

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

I'll suggest a new tag called Starts Dynasty comment wars

joined Feb 18, 2015

It was a little heavy on the cis-normative attitudes. (You can still be a girl if you have short hair and wear pants.) But, all in all, it was pretty cute. I very much prefer Milk Morinaga's "Secret of the Princess" for manga with this basic theme, though.

joined Jun 12, 2015

This story is a mess. I think the mangaka didin't know how to write that kind of story.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Bless this tag. We need this tag everywhere.

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

Yeah the art looks a little bit like Yui_7 ' '
To me, I'm a girl, I want to be loved by girl, but that doesn't have any problem with my short hair and clothes stuff.

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 8:45AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Wow, so much hate. Oo

I liked the story. Risa is far from perfect, but people rarely are and it's a nice take on a girl discovering her homosexuality without going to the usual "let's be gay !" out of the blue. I like how she started out because of loneliness and simply discover along the ride that no matter what, she couldn't just see Yuuko as a boy and even called her -kun because ultimately, she simply didn't want to see her as a boy.

That manga actually gives reasons why Risa called her a "boyfriend" and didn't even stick to it in the end, which is much more satisfying that many manga who depict married women and calling one "husband" or "father" without any explanation as to why.

joined Apr 25, 2013

So I guess no one is going to comment on how ridiculous it is that Risa failed the exam to get into a public school, but somehow got into a private school as a last resort, where I imagine the bar for admission would be set even higher.

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 3:54AM

joined Jan 4, 2014

So I guess no one is going to comment on how ridiculous it is that Risa failed the exam to get into a public school, but somehow got into a private school as a last resort, where I imagine the bar for admission would be set even higher.

Considering that for universities the public variants are quite a bit more prestigious than the private ones in Japan, it does not seem too far-fetched really...

Psx_20160306_172109
joined Mar 21, 2013

Boyfriend - Tegan & Sara
...just gonn leave that there.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Almost skipped it because of the title, good thing I read the tags. This is a one-shot right? I would've like a couple more pages after the time-skip.

I think something like viewer discretion is advised or calm yo tits in the comments k? would be better.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I admit I was a bit pissed off at first, because Risa was quite pushy about imposing her views on Yuko. And Yuko could have been more assertive about the relationship she wanted. Even a "real boy" would have been irritated with Risa's behavior.

But then, since they stayed a couple, now dress according to whatever they want and present themselves as an obvious lipstick lesbians couple, I forgive them.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I guess the japanese system is different. Private school means you pay more to get into it.

If the parents can fork money, the entrance exam may be a formality.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I knew people were going to take offense to this story when I was reading it, but I think it's due to the topic just being overly controversial, rather than the execution or actual message. People are complaining about this story being too gender normative, but I think the whole point of the story was to be the opposite.

It starts off being gender normative, with Risa dating Yuuko as a replacement to her boyfriend, and Yuuko acting boyish in order to be close to Risa, but it ends with Yuuko wanting to be seen as a girl and Risa accepting Yuuko in any way. Risa doesn't say, "I won't consider you my girlfriend unless you look more girly." She tells Yuuko that she loves her and nothing will change that. She then simply suggests that if Yuuko wants to feel more girly she should try growing out her hair and wearing different clothes. Yuuko was obviously insecure with her appearance, otherwise she wouldn't have broken down over the whole hairband thing. I think the end was meant to signify that they no longer cared about the public standards (which is vastly different in Japan) and that they were proud to consider themselves a couple. In the end, the titles "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" no longer held any significance in their relationship.

I found it to be a really sweet story. It's kind of sad that some people will try to find any opportunity to be offended when it comes to issues like this.

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 6:28AM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Rye

Almost skipped it because of the title, good thing I read the tags. This is a one-shot right? I would've like a couple more pages after the time-skip.

I think something like viewer discretion is advised or calm yo tits in the comments k? would be better.

Dynasty Comment Wars Beware

Also, up until a good 7/8ths of it I was getting upset but hey, at least the conclusion was okay

Nya-Chan

I guess the japanese system is different. Private school means you pay more to get into it.

If the parents can fork money, the entrance exam may be a formality.

I don't know about Japan, but from what I know about Taiwan (though this info might be severely outdated, source: my mom)
Private schools = Really expensive, but at least you can pay your way into getting an education, so even if you're not smart enough for a public school, you can still go to school because your parents are filthy rich
Public schools = Really hard to get into because the government pays for it, and well, the government only wants smart people. The education is better too because the government wants to keep you smart.

lol my mom's words, not mine xD she's like 60 something so I don't know how accurate this info is now

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 6:34AM

joined Sep 11, 2014

Risa never once forced Yuuko to do anything. Yuuko made an assumption that Risa is into her because she looked tomboy and they can appear to be hetero in public. Yuuko even asked to break up with Risa because she can't continue to look tomboy like for Risa. Risa on the other end made an assumption that Yuuko enjoys dressing up this way and doesn't mind to be viewed as a boy because she's been looking the part already. Risa was wanting a boyfriend in the beginning of the story, and then realized she's okay with Yuuko being a girl. She realized that she is in love with Yuuko even if she's not a boy. She even encouraged Yuuko to look as girly as Yuuko wanted.

It's not "I want you to be a boy so we can go out." It's actually "I wanted a boyfriend so I picked you because you looked boyish. But now I realized that I am actually in love with you and I don't mind if you actually wanted to look like a girl."

They're like 14 years old, they would pretty much had to pretend to be hetero while out in public wanting to get couple's service anyways.

I found this manga confusing and cute at the same time?? Which makes sense since the characters themselves are also really confused as well. It could've been written better, so i appreciate your clarification because it makes the manga much better.

Its not so much that Risa is pushy (you wanna be girly, alright then, wear a dress, get makeup!!). it just seemed that way because she was in a panic over potentially getting dumped and had come to the realization that yuuko was actually quite feminine. Telling Yuuko to dress more feminine seems to be Risa's way of making up for all the time Yuuko had to reluctantly act as a man to be able to stay Risa's lover.

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

At first I kinda hate the "girlfriend" ,but later I ended up took a liking to both of them.
Not bad for now.

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

This was cute :3 This would be a good story for a long story, not a one short~

joined Jun 12, 2015

This was cute :3 This would be a good story for a long story, not a one short~

There is a similar and longer story. Morinaga Milk's Secret of the Princess.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

Cute... I was curious about girls' school... Do they some special Yuri power that may affect girls that are studying there???... I was thinking to apply a teaching job to some girls school in Japan so that I could encounter or to see it on my own eyes... -_- (just kidding)

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Comer on, comrades, they are just kids yet
they are learning and they are fine, supposed

joined Oct 12, 2013

I can't believe I agree with Mugino for once.

To reply you must either login or sign up.