Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

That was interesting.

ok the last page saved me, i was going to shit on this manga but nevermind

last edited at Jul 1, 2020 9:35AM by

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

I can't see Risa other than a selfish person who gets all she wants.
She wanted a replacement for her boyfriend, she get the most popular and tomboy girl of the school to be her "boyfriend". When Yuuko decided she didn't want to play as her boyfriend anymore and wanted to be her girlfriend Risa make her feel bad and put all the mess of their relationship on Yuuko.
The fact that she blame Yuuko for not acting and looking like a girl where she specifically choose her because she look more like a boy than a girl, and let's say it she didn't want other people to see her like a lesbian. It's must be more simple to explain dating a tomboy girl in a all girl school than a feminine girl. At the end of the manga we see that she doesn't have a problem with being seen with another girl but i suspect that on her high school days.
And the requirements for Yuuko to become her girlfriend are stupid explanation of "If you want to be my girlfriend you must dress like a girl because if you look like a boy you can't be my girlfriend".
She could at least take half of the blame and say that at first she choose Yuuko because of her tomboyish appearance but her feelings change overtime even if we don't see or feel it at all.
When she say she loved Yuuko at the end the first thing that come to my mind was "she don't want to be lonely so she will make her feel bad for breaking up their fake couple. And if she really loved Yuuko she shouldn't force Yuuko to change her look. And it's not excusable because she has 14~15 years old. she is mean.
And lastly, the last page isn't really a good ending. If Yuuko change her appearance for Risa we can say that she could do anything for Risa. She could have stay a tomboy and wear some cute or girlish accessories.
I don't see any evolution on the character of Risa.

last edited at Jul 22, 2021 10:35PM

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

heart melted i love this sm

joined Feb 17, 2018

Comp het is a hell of a drug

Smolnano
joined Apr 4, 2017

Sure this story is nominally against compulsory heterosexuality but the endorsed compulsory conventional femininity is a highly linked problem that's inseparable from comp het. "Even if you don't like men you need to be attractive in a way and act in a way that marks you as a legitimate target of men's affections" is how this compulsory femininity reads in the story. See the remark about Yuuko looking down on women by not taking care her of appearance in the "right" way. And yes conventional femininity is embedded in cis-heteropatriarchal structures in part just because those are the structures we live with right now.

There are reasons there are many, many, many works about tomboys who want to be feminine like their love interest. There are reasons there are very few works about butch x butch couples scanlated on Dynasty. Not all of the reasons why are evil or bad but it sure isn't neutral or random.

Compare Gender Game and something like Your Cuteness to this work. Both are against compulsory roles. Both are way less invested in compulsory femininity than this work is.

An aside: "Yuuko actually wanted to look feminine herself" is a terrible argument in this context. Yes this character has actual desires that aren't a reflection of the society and time in which the author wrote the work. Yep, it's feasible that all the fictional gay tomboys thought to themselves and all decided that femininity was for them despite how any IRL lesbian meetup looks. There are no authors and characters are all intelligent. Sure.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

What a polarizing one-shot!

To reply you must either login or sign up.