Forum › Cocytus discussion

joined Jun 28, 2017

Two more for the boringly perfect and in control blonde girl falls in love with a helpless dark-haired girl who needs her lover to save her pile.
Mao's portrayal was especially disgusting. Kodama made her look like the epitome of the helpless and unlikeable dark haired love interest.
When are writers going to stop adding to these disgusting archetypes and writing original characters and stories?
The year 4001?

last edited at Nov 30, 2017 8:45AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Two more for the boringly perfect and in control blonde girl falls in love with a helpless dark-haired girl who needs her lover to save her pile.
Mao's portrayal was especially disgusting. Kodama made her look like the epitome of the helpless and unlikeable dark haired love interest.
When are writers going to stop adding to these disgusting archetypes and writing original characters and stories?
The year 4001?

Oh, give it a rest please. Whether it's some weird obsession of yours or just trolling, I don't really care.

joined Apr 25, 2017

The year 4001?

Oh, give it a rest please. Whether it's some weird obsession of yours or just trolling, I don't really care.

Nez. Just because you are weird like that, doesn't mean others are too. I remember you commenting on a post, saying that you have fucked a ton of guys and girls, and saying "just because a girl likes sex, doesn't mean that she is a slut". Well that is exactly what it means in your case. A girl liking sex can be split up into two categories. A girl who has a lot of sex with a lot of people, Aka. a slut. Or a girl who has lots of sex with one partner, Aka. not a whore.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

a relationship where they only communicate with tricks and gambits

Love at its finest.

For Kodama-sensei THAT is the main sexual orientation.

And as effed up as it is, just remember the guys usually get off even worse.

It is really hard to reconcile Renai Manga with the rest of her stuff, isn't it? That story wasn't just fluffy, it was awesomely fluffy and fully developed.

It's almost as if she read her own fluffy work and went "As if! That's not real lesbian life, you naiive fool! Real lesbian life is betrayal, game-playing, and 24/7 suffering!"

Which lends credence to the theory I've seen that she was disappointed in love or something after she wrote Renai Manga.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Marion Diabolito posted:

It is really hard to reconcile Renai Manga with the rest of her stuff, isn't it? That story wasn't just fluffy, it was awesomely fluffy and fully developed.

Did we read the same manga? Renai Manga is 90% angst and pretty much wasted potential. They spend half the manga on stupid misunderstanding, that could be solved with 1 conversation. There was barely any fluff in it. For crying out load, they didn't even get together in actual story, just vaguely implied it. You need to read bonus chapter for that. I'll never understand why people keep praising Renai Manga as that only good, happy series she made, when in fact it was full of drama and everything sorted out only at the very end. Pretty much like most of her works.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Marion Diabolito posted:

Did we read the same manga? Renai Manga is 90% angst and pretty much wasted potential. They spend half the manga on stupid misunderstanding, that could be solved with 1 conversation. There was barely any fluff in it. For crying out load, they didn't even get together in actual story, just vaguely implied it. You need to read bonus chapter for that. I'll never understand why people keep praising Renai Manga as that only good, happy series she made, when in fact it was full of drama and everything sorted out only at the very end. Pretty much like most of her works.

I read it as pretty fluffy too, if only on the the number of sparkly panels alone.

There were a lot of scenes that could have been angsty in a more dramatic context, but overall I read the tone as considerably lighter than much of her other work.

There may have been plenty of angst and drama from Kuroi-sensei’s POV, but she was clearly scheduled for a cuteness makeover from the very beginning.

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I love the couple from the first two chapters. It ends off with their relationship still uncertain, but there's definitely hope. The third through fifth chapters... I'm not sure how I feel about those.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I don't see the couple in Cocytus as having much hope at all. Shiina betrayed Kuroneko and then took advantage of her. Her fear of being bullied and her guilt about what she did stand between her and any real relationship with Kuroneko.

Maybe there's a possibility for things to improve from where it leaves off, but my reading of Cocytus is that Shiina will never overcome her cowardice and never move past her betrayal. I think that's the message of the ending, with Kuroneko being honest and open, and Shiina standing there unable to say a thing.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I don't see the couple in Cocytus as having much hope at all. Shiina betrayed Kuroneko and then took advantage of her. Her fear of being bullied and her guilt about what she did stand between her and any real relationship with Kuroneko.

Maybe there's a possibility for things to improve from where it leaves off, but my reading of Cocytus is that Shiina will never overcome her cowardice and never move past her betrayal. I think that's the message of the ending, with Kuroneko being honest and open, and Shiina standing there unable to say a thing.

Cocytus is a river of the Underworld, which I think is pretty telling of the actual thoughts of the author for the couple. It seems like they are trapped in a cycle of suffering in this "relationship". I don't think it is meant to be portrayed as a positive one.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

MacySan posted:

Cocytus is a river of the Underworld, which I think is pretty telling of the actual thoughts of the author for the couple. It seems like they are trapped in a cycle of suffering in this "relationship". I don't think it is meant to be portrayed as a positive one.

I think it's probably referring more to Dante's Inferno than the river Cocytus. In Dante's Inferno the final circle of Hell is Cocytus and it's reserved for those who betray others.

Dante describes Cocytus as being the home of traitors and those who committed acts of complex fraud. Depending on the form of their treachery, inhabitants are buried in ice to a varying degree, anywhere from neck-high to completely submerged in ice.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

schuyguy posted:

I seems to be in minority here, but I saw it ending with possibility of a relationship, but not really a happy one. Not immediately at least. Shiina showed some grow, by actually going back to talking to Kuroneko and wanting to end what she started, aka sex. But she still didn't fully abandoned her coward self. She still somehow thought, her relationship with Kuroneko could stay a secret. But then Kuroneko confessed to her and Shiina's delusions crumbled. She was happy and wanted it, but she was also fully aware, dating Kuroneko won't be easy for her and she will have to overcome a lot of hardships. There is no way she could hid it from others if they were to date. So she should feel happy, but all she could do at the moment is cry. It is still up to interpretation whatever they would date or not, but I don't think it is all hopeless.

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

The year 4001?

Nez. Just because you are weird like that, doesn't mean others are too. I remember you commenting on a post, saying that you have fucked a ton of guys and girls, and saying "just because a girl likes sex, doesn't mean that she is a slut". Well that is exactly what it means in your case. A girl liking sex can be split up into two categories. A girl who has a lot of sex with a lot of people, Aka. a slut. Or a girl who has lots of sex with one partner, Aka. not a whore.

Ew. Slut shaming in 2018-2019? Grow up already.

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

F

joined Mar 28, 2019

The year 4001?

Dude, totally rude. People can have sex with whoever they want. Leave them alone. People experiment with multiple partners and it’s normal. Just because you’re monogamous doesn’t mean you should go around slut shaming. Imo there is no such thing as “sluts.” They are just people who want to sleep around and that’s totally cool as long as they are safe and responsible about it.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Why are you responding to some awful shit some asshole said over a year ago? Why are you quoting them, preserving their words for more eyes to see? This is like trying to get rid of shit by spreading it all over the place.

Delete your post.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Not to mention they got banned already.

joined Nov 6, 2018

Good, but ended too abruptly...,

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Not sure how this "not sexually into you" but in love works.
To me there are two options here. She's either in love with Itsuki but not sexually attracted to her, or she just wants someone to feed her ego and she knows she can get that from Itsuki because she's in love with her.
If the first is true, then I think they could make the sex part work. She can just be a pillow princess and that's it. Also if she's really in love with Itsuki then her desire to sleep with men won't be such an issue. Cause with women it's more of an emotional thing than purely sexual.
But maybe that's not always the case.

This seems like the second option though. Sex wouldn't be such a big issue for Mao if she was in love with Itsuki imo. She just seems to have this narcissistic need for someone to want her, while keeping them at a distance.
Regardless, I don't get how some people compare this to Renai (?the other fluff work of Kodama) and complain.
Fluff is overused to begin with, and we also need some stories who portray the other side of the story.
Just because the author writes about them, this doesn't mean she is trying to say gay relationships are like this.
This is similar to when a gay character dies in a series/movie and some say that it's because gay people can't have a happy ending etc. So are the authors supposed to never kill the gay characters or give them something to struggle with ever?

yuriforeverandalways
Yuri%202%20copy
joined Feb 14, 2017

The first story was pretty ok

Second story straight up toxic

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

This was interesting. I wouldn't call it good, but it was interesting.

I just don't really know what I'm supposed to get out of these stories. They both start and end with morally ambiguous characters in doomed-to-fail situations, either due to cowardice or intentional manipulation. If I'm supposed to just enjoy the ride and watch everyone be generally awful people, I mean, okay, but then there's not really any conclusions. Bad people will continue to be bad people. If I'm supposed to root for them, then the whole story falls apart. Behave like an adult and talk about your feelings. Figure it out. But the author goes out of her way to make it clear that they're incapable of this, so I really don't think that's the outlook I'm supposed to have.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Never read before now but i give it a try. The Cocytus part was ok, my only problem is that it's too short, even if it's a "happy" closure.The second one,well i guess it's what happen you're on the same weve length. At least they're happy together so there is that.

joined Apr 28, 2019

Giiiirll... The coworker is cuter! get you some coooooch...lmfaoo

joined Jan 14, 2020

First two chapters, (Kuroneko), pretty cute.

Second two (Moratorium): ...uh. Charitably speaking, Mao is a homoromantic heterosexual, which sounds like an unfortunate combination.

Last one: yeah, that seems a good call. I suppose one could argue "homoromantic" vs. "clingy friend". Talk about a couple who could use some polyamory.

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 3:50AM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Second two (Moratorium): ...uh. Charitably speaking, Mao is a homoromantic heterosexual, which sounds like an unfortunate combination.

Last one: yeah, that seems a good call. I suppose one could argue "homoromantic" vs. "clingy friend". Talk about a couple who could use some polyamory.

For people like those two, multiamory is muddy waters in a poisonous swamp. It won't end with just high levels of toxicity.

joined May 12, 2020

I would love to continue the story of mao and itsuki and separate them.

To reply you must either login or sign up.