Forum › Bridesmaid discussion

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

ahh i liked it. it's nice to have some bittersweet stories once in a while.

Where's the sweetness here? I only saw bitterness and sadness.

I didn't like it to be honest. I like my angst and drama with a happy ending or at least one with a bittersweet one, sliding a bit on the sweet side.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Women are often pushed into dependent situations in Japan. Women do not make as much money as men do so many women are dependent on their family until they get married, and then they are dependent on their husbands. Given that coming out as a lesbian in Japan can mean being excommunicated from the family many are stuck in a rather difficult situation. Come out and lose my family and a place to sleep, or not say anything. To meet family obligations, expectations, and appearances I have read a number of times that lesbians in Japan get married, have children, and all the while have a secret relationship on the side with the woman they love.

Just a side note here, this story isn't from Japan. It's from Thailand, by the same artist as Lily Love.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

JESUS, PEOPLE. Are we seriously gonna start discussing Asian culture vs western culture around here?
Can you not see that the artist simply wanted to create this story simply because that is what she wanted to and not because of any LGBT propaganda?

The logic in this story is even more ridiculous than any NTR doujin in the world, combined. But the comments...dear god...this is just plain stupidity incarnate!

How DARE we talk about Asian culture about a story whose plot relies on Asian culture? It's stupidity incarnate to talk about such topics that haven't been approved! I am unable to simply go read another topic, so shut up shut up SHUT UP!!

But seriously, "LGBT propaganda"?

Natsuki
joined Feb 5, 2015

Marrying because you have to and not because you want to is just sad. To the bride, you're not wrong, you're just an asshole.

Nya.ha.fucking.ha
joined Dec 23, 2014

Ahahaa... You tanslated it into english :) i can't read thai well yet so thank you.

Nya.ha.fucking.ha
joined Dec 23, 2014

Marrying because you have to and not because you want to is just sad. To the bride, you're not wrong, you're just an asshole.

Ahahaha.. Happens often in Asia i guess, I'm not trying to be offensive but it is true that sometimes it's hard to do something you don't like but have to do it for the sake of your family. Haaa~ sad life it is..

joined Jul 31, 2014

This is so touching....just only once. T.T....

joined Jan 4, 2014

To meet family obligations, expectations, and appearances I have read a number of times that lesbians in Japan get married, have children, and all the while have a secret relationship on the side with the woman they love.

I can confirm that part, having met a few women, mainly in the girlfriend position, who are in exactly that type of situation over the past few weeks in the corresponding bars in Tokyo... From that perspective the story seems all too realistic, or at least would be for Japan (no idea what the situation in Thailand is tbh).

Av
joined Feb 6, 2015

I know this kind of story isn't new but seriously this one shot really hits me! Too much feels!! I felt annoyed knowing that their feelings are mutual but they chose to suffer instead. Sucks! But at the same time i felt really sad for Fluer, I'm sure it hurts a lot more when she learned that her friend feels the same as her but still choose to marry that guy!! ugh! But overall I liked it hehe :)

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 10:21AM

Prprcharlotte_8
joined Apr 1, 2013

I saw Angst and Drama and was gonna drop it but then I saw the author...
But now, why did I read this? T.T

I really hope for Fleur to find someone who'll love her back and be willing to do everything to be with her. I know the other had the pressure from the family and all but I always think that if she loved her enough, she would have find a way.

Nosebleed Uploader
Nonorisa
Helvetica Scans
joined Sep 11, 2014

The amount of people turning this into a culture debate is over 9000. I doubt the author had that kind of intent when writing this, but maybe that's just me.

I think the sole problem this manga has is simply that it's kind of poorly written in terms of narrative and the angst comes off forcefully and with little justification.

There's better ways to present this type of "forced" marriage theme, but this one just made the bride seem like a douchebag and the bridesmain was needlessly put under fire at at the wedding cerimony when they could have solved this the moment she decided to get married rather than at the cerimony itself.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 11:34AM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Where are you guys getting the idea that the bride is being forced to marriage the guy? All the interactions shown between the two of them depict genuine love.

If anything it would seem that since none of them acted on her feelings, the bride "outgrew" them, finding happiness with the guy. So at the end the love she felt for Fleur was different at the love she felt for her husband.

The talk with Fleur at the end was her attempt to help Fleur to also move on her unrequited feelings.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

So at the end the love she felt for Fleur was different at the love she felt for her husband.

She tells her feelings are the same as bridesmaid's though.

The talk with Fleur at the end was her attempt to help Fleur to also move on her unrequited feelings.

I've said that before, but I don't think confessing to someone in love with you is a good way of helping 'em move on. It would, however, take it off your chest so you can move on. For me, though, it's still a dick move.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 11:53AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The amount of people turning this into a culture debate is over 9000. I doubt the author had that kind of intent when writing this, but maybe that's just me.

You bet, this was made by a Thailand person to be read by thailand people so... This reactions is only common here outside :p I think is good to tell the truth... but hmm THE TIMING!!!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Where are you guys getting the idea that the bride is being forced to marriage the guy? All the interactions shown between the two of them depict genuine love.

Wait, what interactions? 100% of what we are shown is a two-panel phone call and a few of the ceremony itself. The only thing you can tell is they're comfortable joking around, which really doesn't impart much information at all.

FlameHazeKatsu
Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

holy shit.... T_T I'm bawling my eyes here.... T^T every time I see the "angst" tag, I'm so wary but there's that hope that it wouldn't be really an angst... sigh but this story... gawd.... just...just...

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm with Nezchan on this--interactions depicting genuine love, such as? Point me to an interaction. All she ever says to him is on the phone, and it consists of "I'm doing wedding dress stuff", "Fleur came with me, so don't worry", and "Don't say something like that, you're embarrassing me". That last one might suggest peanut has feelings for her and was making with an endearment, but is a pretty dashed tepid response to such.
The ceremony too seems deliberately lacking in romance; they say "I will" together at the same time, not even addressing each other, no kiss, no nuthin'.

If anything it would seem that since none of them acted on her feelings, the bride "outgrew" them, finding happiness with the guy. So at the end the love she felt for Fleur was different at the love she felt for her husband.

You're really reading this into the text. There just doesn't seem to be anything actually in there to point to this.
"Even if I love you . . . and I want to be with you so much . . . I can't be selfish and disappoint my family."
"This . . . will be the first and last time . . . we can do and say what our hearts desire"
So. We get the idea that she doesn't want to marry him because she says she's only doing it not to be selfish and disappoint her family, and also says that the only time she's ever going to get her heart's desire is right then with Fleur, ergo NOT with her husband.
Not only does she never mention how she feels about her husband, she never mentions him AT ALL in the whole post-wedding scene. He seems completely irrelevant, a placeholder. You're perfectly free to re-envision it as a thing where she's lying about all this stuff, in an attempt to, um, make it all even more painful? But that's just you being a very active reader indeed, not the author telling a story like that.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 12:33PM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

"I've always loved you, and I'll make sure to only tell you when I get married to someone else in front of you to make sure it really hurts."

I don't mind angsty stories or bad/sad endings, but this was needlessly cruel on the bride's part. Maybe that's just me though.
Even if it's the whole "I'll tell you so I won't have any regrets", there's better times to do that other than literally at the wedding cerimony...

I think that's a tad unfair. This was probably the best way they could have handled the situation, because unlike what we melodramatic watchers want, running away is not all that practical. If the bride's family was REALLY pressuring her to get married and whatnot, she needed to.

If anything, she brought proper closure to the relationship, just their inability to be together is unfortunate (understatement of the week right there). And I'm sure it was just as hard on her, and Fleur knows that. I'm sad they couldn't be together in the end, but their friendship runs deep and powerful and I'm sure the world will keep spinning in color.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Wait, what interactions? 100% of what we are shown is a two-panel phone call and a few of the ceremony itself. The only thing you can tell is they're comfortable joking around, which really doesn't impart much information at all.

She's obviously comfortable around him and through all the story she's excited and happy for her upcoming wedding. At no point is she depicted having second thougts nor being depressed as it should be the case if she were being forced into marrying the guy.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

After reading through these comments, I think people have officially started misreading Aaaaaaangst as Bullshit.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 1:02PM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

At no point is she depicted having second thoughts nor being depressed as it should be the case if she were being forced into marrying the guy.

She did say that the reason she didn't tell her sooner is because she didn't want to have doubts. She wanted to go through with it because she didn't want to disappoint her family.

But who knows? Perhaps eventually she will learn to love the guy.

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 1:25PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

At no point is she depicted having second thoughts nor being depressed as it should be the case if she were being forced into marrying the guy.

She did say that the reason she didn't tell her sooner is because she didn't want to have doubts. She wanted to go through with it because she didn't want to disappoint her family.

But who knows? Perhaps eventually she will learn to love the guy.

Well, we don't know that she doesn't love him already, in addition to loving Fleur. Again, we don't really know anything much about their relationship at all except that they're comfortable with each other (from the fact that they banter a little on the phone).

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 1:32PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Still, I get the impression than the bride wouldn't confessed anything to Fleur if Fleur wouldn't looked so depressed.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I didn't expect comment section to blow up like that o.o I should have commented when there was just 11 comments, but anyway...

I agree with people complaining. This story could be very well written if one of two things would happen:

A) Elle noticed that Fleur was alone and feeling down. After she has confronted her. Fleur snapped, confessing her love to Elle. Elle is surprised by it, because she didn't notice her feelings, and heartwarmingly consoled her, reassuring that she is happy by her confession, but she just don't see her that way (and she just got married). Fleur can now get over her, search for new love, while still staying best friends with Elle.

B) Elle noticed that Fleur was alone and feeling down. After she has confronted her. Fleur snapped, confessing her love to Elle. Elle is shocked, because it turned out that she is in love with Fleur too, but because of same reasons as Fleur's, she hide her feeling, assuming they would never be returned. Now they are both crying and are devastated, because its too late now.

While I was reading, I expected either of those 2 outcomes. What I got was:

"Elle: You know what? I KNEW you love me, but decided to ignore it, because it's not acknowledged by most people, so now that I'm ALREADY married, I'll say that I WANT to be with you and I'll WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER, because I married random guy only for my family and I'm totally ok with it. Don't worry, you will find some guy to marry too" (she didn't say guy, but since they both hidden their feelings because they knew girl x girl is not going to work, it felt as she meant it that way)

Huh? Sorry, but how this is NOT cruel? People already mentioned that talking it over before or after the wedding was a way better choice. Even when she says things like "I knew you love me", "I want to be with you too", "I will always love you in my heart", she is way too calm. It's as if she planned this talk ages ago. There is just not enough signs of her going through any major drama. And what exactly does she expect to achieve by such confession? Does she expect Fleur to still be her best friend, while they BOTH act like this cheating thing just after marriage didn't happen? Hell, if she will always love Fleur and married just for family, I can see them starting a romance sooner or later. Elle just comes as heartless, by easily sealing away her mutual love and telling Fleur to go find someone else. I honestly don't get why Fleur didn't go mad at Elle at all.

I do prefer fluffy/happy ending yuri, but I don't mind drama or angst if it's done well. I get that whole idea of "it won't work because we are both girls" and will I don't usually enjoy this kind of stories, I understand why there is so many. Because this is still how most of time things turn out. What I didn't like in this particular manga wasn't the premise, as I explained above, but execution of ending. You could end it on bitter-sweet note or plain drama, but because of way Elle acts, it came out as "WTF, I'm not sure how should I feel" note.

For all you there, heartbroken by this story or just enraged, the manga that does similar thing, but imo better:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/instinct_and_a_chromosome#1

last edited at Jun 5, 2015 2:02PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

Nosebleed

The amount of people turning this into a culture debate is over 9000. I doubt the author had that kind of intent when writing this

Well... When I was talking to her she wrote: I just needed to try story with bad end

But she don't wanna do this again. It hurts too much :P She prefers happy and... lewd stories :P

To reply you must either login or sign up.