Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Oh, well this is a first (I think). In the place where ssamba's author note usually is, there is a message from a Comico staff/manager person (rough translation):

Currently, we judged that continuing normal serial publication would be impossible/too much to handle for the author's health. For the time being, we decided to give them a rest/break. We wish for their recovery and ask the readers for their support.

Hope it's not too serious and ssamba is able to take their time to recover fully. Like jmv said, health is the #1 priority. I feel like a lot of comic creators don't take good care of themselves/develop health issues... serialization sure sounds stressful.

I also hope this thread doesn't become totally dead like the past 2 weeks though, if other people make some fanworks maybe I'll also dust off my sketchbook and crank out some more silly comics... :)

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 11:07AM

joined Feb 8, 2016

Oh no. I was waiting for the update when I decided to pass by the forum. :( In a way, I'm thankful that I got to read about the hiatus before getting really excited on reading the new chapter. I hope that Ssamba recovers fast and be her normal self soon. It sucks being sick. I pray that it doesn't become serious. In the mean time, I guess this would be the time to distract ourselves by catching up on other series. I plan on doing that instead. Of course, I'm bummed about the hiatus but things happen.

joined Jan 3, 2016

Yes. It's hiatus.

OK. Back to sleep until further notice.

I will need to survive on WDTFS somehow

Hey! Where do you read WDTFS? I can't seem to find a good site.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

^On lezhin after paying. Duh.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I also hope this thread doesn't become totally dead like the past 2 weeks though, if other people make some fanworks maybe I'll also dust off my sketchbook and crank out some more silly comics... :)

Or I can come up with calligraphy that has hearts around No-rae + Seol-a and mix it with my tears.

But really though, get well soon Ssamba! Please no overexertion of any sort and be in tip top condish for yourself mainly first. Health is always top priority.

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 1:07PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Hey! Where do you read WDTFS? I can't seem to find a good site.

Come to the dark side and I will show it to you.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yes yes, we understand that people don't want to pay for manga, and it should be free and so forth. But please don't recommend or link to where you do it. Particularly if it's at Mangafox, Mangahere, or a clone of same.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Yes yes, we understand that people don't want to pay for manga, and it should be free and so forth. But please don't recommend or link to where you do it. Particularly if it's at Mangafox, Mangahere, or a clone of same.

Maybe putting that in the rules to begin with would be in order then, only directly linking is expressly mentioned there.

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 7:37PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Maybe putting that in the rules to begin with would be in order then, only directly linking is expressly mentioned there.

You mean like rule 8 in the rules, which has been there almost a year forbidding links to Mangafox, Mangahere, etc.?

joined Sep 6, 2015

You mean like rule 8 in the rules, which has been there almost a year forbidding links to Mangafox, Mangahere, etc.?

The rules specifically forbid direct linking, but not the very mention of the site. Also, it was just one point on the list. And the user in question said they mostly buy the stuff anyway, so they were not promoting that site. But, you deleted both comments. My suggestion is for the rules be amended, to expressly say that even suggesting mangafox and similar is to be avoided. You do realise I am supporting this rule, right?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The rules specifically forbid direct linking, but not the very mention of the site. Also, it was just one point on the list. And the user in question said they mostly buy the stuff anyway, so they were not promoting that site. But, you deleted both comments. My suggestion is for the rules be amended, to expressly say that even suggesting mangafox and similar is to be avoided. You do realise I am supporting this rule, right?

Are you telling me there's a functional difference between "go to mangafox and get this stuff for free" and "go to mangafox.com and get this stuff for free"? Let's get real here.

Aside from which, all I did was remove the post and ask people in general, not even mentioning them specifically to not do it. It's not like I'm bashing heads here.

joined Sep 6, 2015

I did not say you were, just that putting that black-on-white in the rules would be advisable. Not everyone is a native speaker, and some take things literally. "No suggesting/linking to mangafox" is better than "no linking to mangafox". And since the mention of the site will get deleted anyway, why not include a sentence to this effect in the rules?

NamelessPresence
joined Feb 14, 2016

With all due respect;

Clarify the rules. Explicitly add the mention/citation that no one is not even to mention such other sites. I did not link anyone to go anywhere, furthermore I purchase my comics and mangas as I said in my post.

As if having someone translating anything and doing typesets isn't the same thing. It's free here, I don't see this site charging or forcing people to support the author economically either. Whatever is posted here is also the same as doing it in those-sites-that-we-must-not-name. You do realize this place exists not only to exchange opinions but because most people are unable to afford the amazing works out there, right?

And these words are all with due respect. Now I know that I should read between the lines. But keep in mind that people doing typesets and uploading things to imgur and informing people here also counts as going to those places. Never once I said "free".

I'm all good here.

Kind regards

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 8:32PM

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Hm, Nezchan, I actually agree about tweaking the rule wording. The current wording seems clear enough to me, but as UANAJC said, not everyone is a native English speaker. But also... people can be hella pedantic :P It might make your job easier if you left as little grey area as possible. Some of the other rules do benefit from having a little flexibility/room for mod discretion but for this one, I can't see a downside to making such a change.

@NamelessPresence, I strongly disagree that this site/people translating series is no different from sites like Mangafox. It's not just about affordability, a lot of of the content on here isn't mainstream enough to ever get an official English translation and release. Without the work of translators, said content would likely never be accessible to people outside the countries of origin.

There's also the fact that all this work is done for free and translators make no profit off of it. Meanwhile, sites like Mangafox are businesses that DO profit through site traffic/ads, and steal the work of translators without even giving credit.

As for the imgur links posted in the FF thread, I personally think that's acceptable as FF is free to read on the comico site anyways. Though people have made efforts to support the author by enabling reading directly on comico through overtooning. The situation is different for WDFTS, which is behind a paywall on Lezhin. I don't really check the WDTFS thread much but as far as I'm aware, no one posts imgur links there. And translators like halmoni do their best to make sure that people support the authors by only sharing translations with people who have purchased the raws.

Anyways, getting back on-topic (ish)...

ann, I was going to say, you can't just mention that you did FF calligraphy and NOT post a photo of it! I wanna see lol. Unless you're waiting to hone your skills first, which I totally get.

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 9:54PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's also notable that sites like Mangafox, Mangahere, and so forth use bots to swipe unfinished or unauthorized translations from shared WIP folders and the like without the permission of the groups working on them, and post them in order to get ad revenue, essentially making money off other people's free work. Which is one reason we take such a hard line on those here.

Plus, Fluttering Feelings and What Does the Fox Say have been been treated with a harder line from the start. These are not new practices by any means with regard to these two titles. For other stuff it's not such a big deal, but for instance in the case of WDtFS the site it appears on takes a pretty hard line on this stuff and we're really not interested in testing the limits of that.

NamelessPresence
joined Feb 14, 2016

Cipp

Let's agree to disagree shall we? I don't like to spend time arguing. This is not purpose for the forum.

I'm clear on the rules now and that's what counts. I don't plan to start the discussion about who has the most logical understanding of anything :)

All cool here.

The next couple of weeks are looking a lot like this....

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Nezchan
It's not all work of bots, if they really use bots like some say, because they also make upload of a serie or chapter because someone requested, you can actually even give them the chapters as a rar or zip file, so it's not all the sites fault, people who read on them helps too so they can have so many series and they stay updated.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Dynasty made money from ads and views like other sites if the money was used to keep the site working and to buy mangas so groups could translated, I think it would be possible if it was made visible to everyone how much money Dynasty is making and in what it's being used, that would literally help everyone in the Yuri community in my opinion...

As for FF, well, guess now I have more reason to be depressed, hope Ssamba is not feeling that bad. (T^T)

last edited at Apr 10, 2016 10:31PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan
It's not all work of bots, if they really use bots like some say, because they also make upload of a serie or chapter because someone requested, you can actually even give them the chapters as a rar or zip file, so it's not all the sites fault, people who read on them helps too so they can have so many series and they stay updated.

I never said it was all the work of bots. But the fact remains that it is a common practice for these sites. It doesn't really make a difference if it's the only practice. Regardless, they make a practice of monetizing other people's work, which is usually created by volunteer groups. It's essentially scummy at its heart.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Dynasty made money from ads and views like other sites if the money was used to keep the site working and to buy mangas so groups could translated, I think it would be possible if it was made visible to everyone how much money Dynasty is making and in what it's being used, that would literally help everyone in the Yuri community in my opinion...

Well, there are issues around that which are over my pay grade. Suffice to say that ads are almost certainly not going to happen any time soon.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

NamelessPresence posted:

because most people are unable to afford the amazing works out there, right?

I'm living in a country where manga is a really niche thing and we don't even have 10% of works translated by Americans/Other countries and anime publishers doesn't exist so my only way to access most of everything is by those sites and it will stay that way for at least next few decades. So every time some series get licensed in America and gets taken down I'm really unhappy because I know I won't ever see it again. And no, there is no way I'm going to import anything, especially if I can't check it first and more importantly, because if I'm to buy stuff, I prefer to buy it in my native language.

NamelessPresence posted:

I don't like to spend time arguing. This is not purpose for the forum.

That is the exact purpose of the forum.

last edited at Apr 11, 2016 12:09AM

NamelessPresence
joined Feb 14, 2016

Nevri

I'm living in a country where manga is a really niche thing and we don't even have 10% of works translated by Americans/Other countries and anime publishers doesn't exist so my only way to access most of everything is by those sites and it will stay that way for at least next few decades. So every time some series get licensed in America and gets taken down I'm really unhappy because I know I won't ever see it again. And no, there is no way I'm going to import anything, especially if I can't check it first and more importantly, because if I'm to buy stuff, I prefer to buy it in my native language.

I didn't really understand your comment. But hopefully you can keep reading all the mangas you like for the time being. :)

That is the exact purpose of the forum.

Not about the rules of the site, please see thread. The purpose of this place is to discuss the actual manwha, hence the name of the thread :). Cheers

18%20-%20eternal%20flame
joined Jun 18, 2015

Hope she gets well. If this ends up like nana im going to be so disappointed. (Please, Please get better)

No-rae
joined Feb 4, 2015

Hope she gets well. If this ends up like nana im going to be so disappointed. (Please, Please get better)

What happened to nana?

I'm missing FF a lot, my sunday are just not the same. I'm deprived. I hope ssamba is doing better now <3

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

What happened to nana?

Ai Yazawa got sick and Nana has been on hiatus since 2009.

No-rae
joined Feb 4, 2015

What happened to nana?

Wow... I would assume its dropped. Thats really sad.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

What happened to nana?

Wow... I would assume its dropped. Thats really sad.

Well, it's not officially cancelled. When it was published it was a hit. So I guess that if she came back with a continuation, the editor would be willing to resume. It would boost sales at least.

To reply you must either login or sign up.