Forum › Anime season

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Lilliwyt posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-05/otherside-picnic-sci-fi-yuri-novels-get-tv-anime/.157164 Otherside Picnic is getting an anime adaptation, directed by the same one behind the OVA of Kase-san and Fragtime. You may also know the VA as one is Nadeshiko's VA from Yuru Camp and the other is Sayaka from Yagate (also Rin from New Game or Darkness from Konosuba).

Wow I remember reading one or two chapters of this in manga... I think the reason I Didn't read more was because the first chapter had like 88 pages and the second had 50 pages and I was thinking that it's too THICC for the single break I was hoping for so I left it for later.

Good thing I didn't continue because the translation was dropped shortly after and now it's even getting an anime!! that's amazing!!!! And with a director who knows what he's doing.

The seiyus are amazing too!

Is it REAL YURI, or is it just subtext?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

The gay asteroids did it.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

OMG go watch Asteroids in Love today, it was awesome!! feels like I was watching 30 minutes with so many things going on and it didn't feel rushed, it also had a "I can't believe is not the last episode!" feeling to it.

So I followed your advice here... and was overall underwhelmed. A couple decent moments that would probably would have hit harder if I had more context, but mostly it just reminded me of why I dropped the series

Is [Otherside Picnic] REAL YURI, or is it just subtext?

I haven't gotten all that far, but in what I read the main character gets flustered around the other lead and is clearly jealous of her relationship with other girls. They're not together (yet?), but it's not subtle, either

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Can't say if it's yuri or not (sci fi picnic), because I only saw one chapter... but hey, 2 lead girls in seemingly dangerous situations, nice art and interesting story, I don't need much more to look forward to the anime.

Hyrlarn how dare you, shame on you! you have something against shiny rocks?! is that what this is!?

But seriously, can't be helped, I know that even if you put a lot of girls in one room with a topic, is not gonna be great for everyone, but in this case it was for me, very much so! I'm probably like you when it comes to slow start, the manga bores me to death.

bitchesbebroke
Imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-vijden3cpybzpq
joined Feb 27, 2020

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-05/otherside-picnic-sci-fi-yuri-novels-get-tv-anime/.157164 Otherside Picnic is getting an anime adaptation, directed by the same one behind the OVA of Kase-san and Fragtime. You may also know the VA as one is Nadeshiko's VA from Yuru Camp and the other is Sayaka from Yagate (also Rin from New Game or Darkness from Konosuba).

speaking of fragtime, is there a place i can watch it online?

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

You might be find it raw somewhere but I don't think it has been translated or if it will be translated after what happen with the studio.

bitchesbebroke
Imgonline-com-ua-compresstosize-vijden3cpybzpq
joined Feb 27, 2020

You might be find it raw somewhere but I don't think it has been translated or if it will be translated after what happen with the studio.

aww damn that really sucks, i only found out ab what happened to the studio today

I love the recent Magia Record episode, what Mami did will shock people

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Episode 10 of Magia Record was amazing. I really like most of the changes they did. Only thing I was annoyed at was that they pretty much removed Iroha bonding with Sana over their loneliness. That was the main reason Iroha risked her life to safe her and why Sana so eagerly joined them, because first time in her life she felt needed and important to someone. It made them spending half of the episode 8 so blatantly building Iroha's loneliness pretty pointless. It was already subtly conveyed over the show. Some parallels were nice and done well, but some parts, like the bullying, felt totally unnecessary. Overall good set up, but without any pay off.

I love the way they handled Mami joining Magius. It was explained in the game and I found it perfectly reasonable, even if the resolution to her plot line was handled poorly, but I much more prefer anime's taken on it. It portrays Mami as much stronger character even if still conflicted. Her being unstable mess, made sense considering her character and original reaction to truth, but it pretty much removed all agency she had as a character, replacing her with completely different character, even if she consented to it. And speaking of which, that was my main issue with how Magius handled explaining their plan to main cast, which admittedly knowing future events and their general approach to "allies" makes more sense in the hindsight. Still I felt like main cast had legitimate reasons to join Magius and it would make for much stronger, engaging and interesting story. But no, let's just brainwash them. Again, make sense in context of what kind of people Magius are, but still feels incredibly cheap.

In fact I can perfectly see it working that way. Sana's and Felicia's brainwashing was undone almost immediately and had no impact whatsoever. While I felt like revelation of truth would impact them a lot and might give them reason to join them, I'd be perfectly fine with them never joining at all. On the other hand I feel like set up for Tsuruno to joining Magius from her own will is already there. She is close with Mifuyu. She carries a lot of burden and guilt and I can totally see her giving in into temptation of promise of salvation in exchange for finding inner peace. And then we would have emotional fight between Tsuruno and Yachiyo where she connects with her and convince her to come back. And that's exactly what they seems to be setting up with Mami, which would give arrival of original trio a lot more impact. It should be them actually trying to reason Mami back, instead of that bs with Yachiyo just beating sense into her, when it was clearly established to not work like that with Tsuruno and needing a genuine connection and understanding, that Yachiyo clearly didn't have. Don't get me wrong. That duel sounds awesome and I'd be lying if I said that I don't want to see it animated, but priorities. That reminds me. What was up with Yachiyo getting some sudden boost of power in that fight. I don't remember if it was explained at all. If it wasn't, they better remove it. Anyway, since they also showed willingness to big changes with Mami not being fused with Rumor, they can just as easily not do it with Tsuruno as well. Not from top of my head, but I'm sure there are ways to work around it.

That's honestly my biggest issue with Magius in general. Instead of being a complex villains with a point, making it more of a gray area whatever what they do is good or bad and giving room for some moral dilemmas, they just went for black and white, they're pure evil and need to be stopped. And sure, their methods still could be wrong, but there could be more nuance with it. For starters, I hate that they don't actually ever explain their goals, because that should be best way to convince everyone to join them. First sign something fishy is going on. And yes, they do explain it eventually, but after clashing several times with main cast and they invited them for a lecture already with full intention of brainwashing them. They didn't even give them a chance to make a choice for themselves. That's why what they did with Mami is step in good direction and gives me hope, they'll change other scenes as well in similar fashion. Having to win them back, by reasoning why what Magius is doing is wrong, simply feels like much better idea.

Anyway, people stop thinking it's Madoka lite and will never be as good. It doesn't try to be a repeat of OG series. It's a different show, trying to do different things and is doing pretty darn good job at it.

last edited at Mar 7, 2020 3:37PM

That reminds me. What was up with Yachiyo getting some sudden boost of power in that fight. I don't remember if it was explained at all. If it wasn't, they better remove it.

People who haven't played Magia Record don't click this :) Yachiyo heard voices in the fight which were the voices of the two girls that died protecting her in the past. Even Yachiyo didn't understand how she got the power boost, but I assume that her wish of wanting to survive is related to it

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

. Only thing I was annoyed at was that they pretty much removed Iroha bonding with Sana over their loneliness.

More of a comment than a counter-argument, but they're clearly framing Iroha (and Yachiyo) as a mother figure for Sana and Felicia. The "This isn't where someone will call my name" scene in particular was unsubtle about that

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

https://imgur.com/7UQo8JC

22/7 is slowly turning into Miu's harem.

No BDs ever came out, so I don't think you'll be able to find it raw. It'll be lost forever if it does not get a release.

last edited at Mar 8, 2020 9:53AM

https://imgur.com/7UQo8JC

22/7 is slowly turning into Miu's harem.

No BDs ever came out, so I don't think you'll be able to find it raw. It'll be lost forever if it does not get a release.

To think we would have lost film issues in 2020 :(

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

YarnGirl posted:

People who haven't played Magia Record don't click this :) Yachiyo heard voices in the fight which were the voices of the two girls that died protecting her in the past. Even Yachiyo didn't understand how she got the power boost, but I assume that her wish of wanting to survive is related to it

Right. There was that. Honestly I don't mind idea conceptually, but I much prefer that it really wasn't Mel and Kanae actually giving Yachiyo power from afterlife. I think Yachiyo's power being the source of it is much more plausible. I know. I know. We're talking about world with magic in it and I'm getting hung up on supernatural things being unrealistic. I just think afterlife actually existing is fine as a story for a event in game, but shouldn't be part of the canon. Just because 1 supernatural thing exist, doesn't mean you can add whatever you want. I like when setting is overall more or less realistic, so it can focus how that 1 supernatural power is working in it.

Hylarn posted:

More of a comment than a counter-argument, but they're clearly framing Iroha (and Yachiyo) as a mother figure for Sana and Felicia. The "This isn't where someone will call my name" scene in particular was unsubtle about that

I'm fully aware of the whole family dynamic. Game makes it even more blatantly obvious, especially having not 1, but 2 magical girls teams totally acting like families. Game is so openly gay, it's unreal. So the dynamic of Iroha and Yachiyo as parents and Felica and Sana as their children is not lost on me. Anime doesn't shy away from it at all, keeping parts where Yachiyo is pretty much scolding Felicia like a child all the time and in last episode outright stating they're a family.

I was sure anime had a scene, where Yachiyo is scolding Felicia yet again and then turning to Iroha looking for her approval, as if she was her lover (they totally are) and Iroha is completely caught off guard by how casually Yachiyo did that, but I can't find it, so seems like it was in the game instead. It was really adorable.

Either way, that doesn't mean they couldn't bond over similar experience. One doesn't really exclude the other. Just saying. And honestly, even if they removed it, I still think anime handled Sana's introduction perfectly. It just felt like they were going to do it the same way game did it, with all the set up and all, so then pretty much ignoring/downplaying it significantly left me feeling cheated.

last edited at Mar 8, 2020 12:22PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

SOOOOOOOO there was a Pre Air of Tamayomi episode 01 in AT-X (That baseball manga) and...... it was nice! ngl I was surprised because seeing the first short trailer I thought the animation was gonna turn into spaghetti asap, but it hold up and beyond that, it's a nice start! I guess is fair to call it generic in some aspect but let's face it, when it comes to sports, when it isn't? But I really liked the characters. Specially the twins with their obsession with hands...Ahhh ahhh... prepare yourself, lots of handholding jokes in the future

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Good to hear that Tamayomi's not awful, since there's not much else in the way of yuri coming up. Jashin-chan S2 will presumably be similar to S1, the villainess isekai features a bi harem, the fishing series might have some subtext, and that's about it

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Not to mention that Vlad Love got delay to Fall

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

the fishing series might have some subtext

Well, there will be bait... hehehe.
Ah, but it's a good thing that every episode is a beach episode hahaha

But it's true, if you're not a SAO fan or a harem enthusiasm, next season will feel pretty empty.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Not to mention that Vlad Love got delay to Fall

The Spring airing always seemed unlikely given what we'd seen of it. I don't think this is a delay so much as accepting the realities of how TV anime production works

But it's true, if you're not a SAO fan or a harem enthusiasm, next season will feel pretty empty.

Is there more harem series than usual? Doesn't feel like it. Just really small, and filled with sequels

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well there is: Yahari, Shachou Battle, Hachinan tte, Tsugumomo, Shironeko Project, and lastly Princess Connect... ANd I don't want to think of Major 2nd as harem, I really liked the first series but still, a boy surrounded with many MANY girls always makes me go hmmmmmmm (but this one is about sports).

Compared to the current season, there's a lot yes but in the previous one we had many too... wow, it's actually kind of depressing when you look back at the previous season.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

I'm not sure ShachiBato or Shironeko are harems? Just being based on a mobage doesn't mean that everyone will fall in love with the lead. Particularly in an adaptation

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

I'm not sure ShachiBato or Shironeko are harems? Just being based on a mobage doesn't mean that everyone will fall in love with the lead. Particularly in an adaptation

I wonder... Is not like they'll fall for others either, that was rubs me the wrong way.

Before jumping to Bandori newest season, everyone should read this official spin off https://dynasty-scans.com/series/bang_dream_raise_the_story_of_my_music especially chapter 9

About Bangdream s3, Omg Chu-2 self destruction was a long time coming, but damn... She really is a child at heart, huh? imagine hurting Pareo of all people

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Koisuru Asteroid has now a girl call Nanami Yuu.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Koisuru Asteroid has now a girl call Nanami Yuu.

narrows eyes in suspicion, but smiles in excitement Can this really be just coincidence?

To reply you must either login or sign up.