Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^
100% agree, Astraea

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

The outfit. Hot. Mmm. Nice job, Mitsuki.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

like Uncle, like niece

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

i guess I’m the only one that wants some romance progression? the slice of life is starting to get boring -_-

You are aware that this is not yuri and will never be... right?
Sometimes when I read the comments I wonder how many of the readers have forgotten that the mangaka specifically warned us about that.

I mean yuri subtext is still yuri in a way. To say there's 0 romantic undertones would be insane.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Sometimes when I read the comments I wonder how many of the readers have forgotten that the mangaka specifically warned us about that.

I've never heard that.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

What some of y'all,if not a large portion of y'all,need to remember is that Japan covers ALL forms of girly love under the umbrella of "yuri",whether it be girls being girls as friendly lil' hormonal teens for a handful of pages or a pair of cybernatically enhanced grannies duking it out like the next instalment of Ultraman whilst getting it on like Donkey Kong for 12 volumes straight.

Also,she is totally his niece without a doubt.

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

i guess I’m the only one that wants some romance progression? the slice of life is starting to get boring -_-

I didn't even know.
Then the tags here should be changed to subtex instead of yuri & romance

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 12:41AM

Ejvogqrxgae48vj
joined Aug 18, 2019

ughh the way Mitsuki is drawn in some panels... i feel a complicated mix of gender envy and swooning ;-; All I'm saying is, Aya, I get it....

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I didn't even know.
Then the tags here should be changed to subtext instead of yuri & romance

It was vaguely worded. The author said in an interview that she didn't consider it a yuri. Others have taken it to mean that she just thinks of it as a realistic romance story that should be relatable to anyone and is not meant to be a "gurl on gurl hawt" story

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I didn't even know.
Then the tags here should be changed to subtext instead of yuri & romance

It was vaguely worded. The author said in an interview that she didn't consider it a yuri. Others have taken it to mean that she just thinks of it as a realistic romance story that should be relatable to anyone and is not meant to be a "gurl on gurl hawt" story

Exactly. But guys, can we talk about the hot Uncle or his hot niece (or both, both is good) instead of going back to the Schrödinger's Yuri topic for the 100th time? It doesn't matter at this point. Us yuri believers get our fan service with Aya's casual gay panic, we should be content because it's a gag-based series (effortlessly hot loner who dresses like one of those pop punk tiktok kids x flushed gyaru who thought she was a guy) with four-pages per chapter. And most of them are for Western rock references, so I ain't complaining about the lack of "romance progression".

joined Apr 2, 2023

It's this interview from way back last June... https://getnews.jp/archives/3299988

Bad Google Translation:

"I tried to draw what would happen if the person I liked was really close to me. I love the combination of opposite characters so I thought I'd make a duo that would never get along if they were normal. I also like Western music, so it's nice to have a relationship that connects through music. I also think about it, and it's a story that's packed with my own 'likes'." ...

"I don't really know if the manga I'm drawing is a so-called 'yuri'. There was a time when I was worried about my sexuality, and I am very happy that people of various sexualities, backgrounds, lives, and occupations will be able to see the stories and characters that are born from that. I would be happy if you could watch over Mitsuki and Aya warmly.'"

So she had been talking about putting a lot of herself in the story including romantic likes. The fact a story born from her perspective (including her sexuality) can be enjoyed by so many people makes her happy. She's not worried anymore. She's put herself into this and found people have accepted it beyond a "so-called" category and it's become a universally understood feeling. There's romance in the story and it's between Mitsuki and Aya. Her own publisher frames it like that for the book coming out.

In the months since she's drawn them moving in together in the future, on a holiday together five years down the road, matching couple accessories etc, and they fall very neatly into her "type" from previous manga. Her muse has been constant over the years and you see whispers of the two in her prior work. The change is people accepting it beyond the usual reach. That has to be such a great feeling as she puts a lot of herself into it.

joined Jan 11, 2022

I bet you skip cut scenes

Shit I got hit with a stray bullet

Cut scene skipping.. Gross!

Shame! Shame! Shame!

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 3:47AM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I do wonder what Mitsuki plans on doing. Being a musician is such a meh way of answering it tbh. Just because you are passionate about music doesn’t mean you will drop everything to pursue such a career, specially given how she DOES NOT want to stand out — if that weren’t the case, she’d be playing in other occasions other than the afterparty. I think it would be nice if she decided to do something related to business administration (or whatever else you can study to be a manager), given her work at her Uncle’s store. The idea of Mitsuki taking over and being the rocker-looking store manager like her Uncle while in her 40s is really cool.

I would not even be that surprised if she did drop everything to pursue a career in music, but she definitely wouldn't write it in her career path form.

The story has been focusing on the high school life and the potential yuri, so for it to shift like that (turn into one of the MCs wanting to be a musician despite wanting to be a wallflower who has no friends among her peers) would be kinda weird.
That’s why I am thinking of something related to the store. Even if it turns out to be not getting any form of education to continue the “family business” but keep working there after graduating and that’s that.

It's weird that you think the only career she can get into in music is to be some kind of rockstar. Plenty of musicians do background stuff, you know.

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 3:54AM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

^
I didn’t really say that. I’m just saying that becoming a professional musician is something that’d feel forced for the character. I wouldn’t really call something like a sound engineer a musician... Therefore working in the music industry is another thing. I agreed with @Astraea Hill ‘s comment for that exact reason.

My point with emphasising the store is that this is the closest thing we have of a possible career path for her: working at a CD/Record Store, eventually taking it over and being the owner/manger. It’s still dealing with the music business.

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 5:48AM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

^
I didn’t really say that. I’m just saying that becoming a professional musician is something that’d feel forced for the character. I wouldn’t really call something like a sound engineer a musician... Therefore working in the music industry is another thing. I agreed with @Astraea Hill ‘s comment for that exact reason.

My point with emphasising the store is that this is the closest thing we have of a possible career path for her: working at a CD/Record Store, eventually taking it over and being the owner/manger. It’s still dealing with the music business.

Sound engineer is also not the only kind of background musical career you can have.
Y'know those people who play in backup bands? Record background tracks for musicians? Playing music is not all about putting yourself out there and trying to be a big star.

I'm not saying that's what she should do with her life. We've only seen a little bit of her playing. It's just that you don't have to want to be the centre of attention to be in the musical world.

last edited at Apr 17, 2023 10:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just to clarify, her career-path form is still completely blank, correct?

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Just to clarify, her career-path form is still completely blank, correct?

Yes, we’re just speculating.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

They're basically the same person XD

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

No matter how many times I read it (and I lost count hahaha); I keep wondering, if Aya is acting like this, having gay panics just from seeing Koga (like ch 40, at the start with that little panic), what will be of her when she figures out her feelings; the more deep ones hahaha

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

No matter how many times I read it (and I lost count hahaha); I keep wondering, if Aya is acting like this, having gay panics just from seeing Koga (like ch 40, at the start with that little panic), what will be of her when she figures out her feelings; the more deep ones hahaha

cause she's in too deep
and she's trying to keep
up above of her head
instead of going under

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Mitsuki and her uncle are making me discover new things about my preferences.

Fb_img_1662167993947
joined Sep 23, 2020

Uncle and niece....awww.... And which reminds me of ruby and uncle qrow....

Damn i wish i have an a cool uncle

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

cause she's in too deep
and she's trying to keep
up above of her head
instead of going under

Ooh, Sum 41 ref
I love you

Mitsuki and her uncle are making me discover new things about my preferences.

Meanwhile I am more confused than ever. I wanna look like Mitsuki but I so would date a guy like Uncle Joe, specially his younger version (the dilf one is nice too).
I need to do some self-reflection.

last edited at Apr 18, 2023 11:38AM

joined Apr 2, 2023

Apparently there is an official spotify playlist now. I don't have the app to double check what songs they have listed, but that's a neat thing to go along with her book release today.

"The official playlist of the manga released today....now available https://umj.lnk.to/TheGuySheWasTP
The song that Mitsuki and Aya are listening to is selected by the author Sumiko Arai."
https://twitter.com/UNIVERSAL_INTER/status/1648523163238809606

https://www.udiscovermusic.jp/news/the-guy-she-was-interested-in-wasnt-a-guy-at-all-official-playlist

last edited at Apr 18, 2023 11:28PM

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

"The official playlist of the manga released today....now available https://umj.lnk.to/TheGuySheWasTP
The song that Mitsuki and Aya are listening to is selected by the author Sumiko Arai."
https://twitter.com/UNIVERSAL_INTER/status/1648523163238809606

Honestly never put much attetion to rock or search for it, but woah, really like the playlist, so good! <3

To reply you must either login or sign up.