Forum › Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind discussion

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

I like that it hasn't yet taken a turn for the "oh it turns out it's mutual love haha," instead it's continuing down the route of melancholy/bittersweet-ness that I hoped for. And even if the MC has a clear crush on Yoriko, it doesn't seem to be necessarily sexual.

Not really a fan of the art (faces look a bit derpy sometimes) but I can overlook that. And yeah as someone mentioned that tree looked kinda dead lol.

joined Jun 19, 2018

I tried looking up aromantic and it doesn't seem like a perfectly descriptive term... Like it seems to describe people not having the emotional desperation (i.e. passion) found in crushes, but a lot of romantic love doesn't have that either... The problem seems to be with the term romance itself, "romantic" love is usually composed of like 1 to 3 different types of love out of like 4 or so distinct types of romantic love, it often doesn't contain any emotional desperation (if the couple is safely established for instance). So it ends up that aromantic people can be romantically in love? Maybe there just isn't a better term or maybe I'm wrong about what being aromantic is? idk.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

I tried looking up aromantic and it doesn't seem like a perfectly descriptive term... Like it seems to describe people not having the emotional desperation (i.e. passion) found in crushes, but a lot of romantic love doesn't have that either... The problem seems to be with the term romance itself, "romantic" love is usually composed of like 1 to 3 different types of love out of like 4 or so distinct types of romantic love, it often doesn't contain any emotional desperation (if the couple is safely established for instance). So it ends up that aromantic people can be romantically in love? Maybe there just isn't a better term or maybe I'm wrong about what being aromantic is? idk.

Love is honestly a really complicated topic.
Romantic love as far as I'm concerned is defined as a strong (romantic) attraction to someone, but ofc that doesn't really explain anything. It's different for everyone, anyway; but "emotional desperation" is not something I've ever experienced, yet I'm clearly romantically attracted to people.
It's maybe got something to do with certain types of intimacy? Like, in the case of MC, she's clearly exhibiting attraction to Yoriko, but it seems to be mostly a) aesthetic, and b) a general longing for "closeness," but not necessarily intimacy like making out, snuggling, holding hands, etc.

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

Aromanticism and the asexual spectrum is a complex topic because it's, well, a spectrum. Some people have no romantic or sexual attraction to others whatsoever, but some of us are also capable of feeling romantic attraction. Some are completely repulsed by the idea of engaging in sexual contact, others are willing to perform it if an alosexual partner wishes to, others might still be capable of wanting to engage in such activities but only if a very deep bond is form (demisexual and gray ace). You're right in pointing out that attraction has several parts, such as sexual, romantic, and aesthetic, but generally asexual or aromantic people simply are not capable of feeling such forms of attraction.

If this does end up going the mutual romance route, I'd flag Yuriko as most likely demi myself.

joined Jun 19, 2018

Aromanticism and the asexual spectrum is a complex topic because it's, well, a spectrum.

Either I don't agree with folding asexuality and aromanticism together period, or I don't agree Aromanticism can be a 'spectrum' per say, since a spectrum only has a single axis. Since, on the one hand, if you're saying that aromanticism is strictly speaking a single thing, then it can't possibly be asexuality since asexuals can be very romantic and sexuals can be very nonromantic. On the other hand, if you're saying that romance is several things in terms of aromanticism, (including sexuality) then aromanticism can't be like homosexuality, which can at least be partially modeled by a 1 dimensional Kinsey scale, but instead it must be a collection of different axes, with perhaps no necessity of them having anything essential to do with one another. In this case, its not just complex because it's a spectrum, it's also complex because it's a collection of spectrums which are essentially distinct.

You're right in pointing out that attraction has several parts, such as sexual, romantic, and aesthetic, but generally asexual or aromantic people simply are not capable of feeling such forms of attraction.

This is the part I don't get. Like, say that there's a person who is asexual/aromantic in every way that they could be. Do they not find things cute? Do they not find things beautiful? Do they not feel emotional comfort? I would guess they do, but they don't feel them "romantically"? But idk what differentiates those feelings when felt romantically with those feelings when felt non-romantically. They feel the same to me. That's why the only thing that seemed like it could make the concept of aromanticism non-conflationary would be that the differentiating factor is 'attraction' itself (which I identified with emotional desperation, longing is probably a better word). Without that, I don't understand how aromanticism could be a single thing, rather than multiple related things conflated together through the term, or a tendency to not feel those certain emotions (cute, beauty, etc) in a culturally romantic context, which I don't believe is the claim, but I guess it could be.

Like, in regard to the story, what's the added thing that Yoriko needs before her feelings for Matoi are romantic? She already finds Matoi cute, is physically affectionate towards her, is lonely by her absence, sympathizes with her, admires her, finds her soul beautiful (through Matoi's music), and enjoys being with her. Why does this not count as romantic already? What is missing?

981c42da2a6ca1ced16e6500fb8d64cc
joined Dec 29, 2020

Came for the yuri, stayed for some aro ace undertones.

But damn, it's hard to be on the aro ace spectrum while also being a huge fan of romantic stories. Now I'm stuck between wanting this to turn out to be a romance or representation. But I guess I'm getting one of them either way, so win for me.

There is still a chance Yuriko won't romantically fall in love with Matoi and they will end up in a queerplatonic relationship. But as someone who has hard time comprehending romantic love and doesn't seek any intimate relationships, I'm not sure how well I can read into these things.

That said I wish we got some stories primarily revolving around aro or ace people. But since I can't see it happening anytime soon, I just went ahead with it and started writing my own "romantic" story with aro ace. It's about a woman who falls in love with a younger girl, their relationship is pretty bleak in the beginning but as they start living together because of circumstances they will grow closer and become more open to each other. But the younger girl will never fall in love with the other woman and eventually, even she will learn to let go of her feelings.

No idea how bad this might be, but isn't there anyone else who would just love to read stories where the romantic or just simply more intimate love becomes platonic? Maybe I'm just weird. Either way, I'm just writing that story to relieve some stress from life.

BlueStallion44
joined Aug 29, 2016

I'm aro and ace, maybe in the grey area, but still aro and ace. I've been in long-term relationships before, and just recently I broke up with my ex, after two years together. I also had sex and intimate moments with a couple friends, both men and women, but what can I say? I don't feel like having sex all the time like a lot of people I know, and I also don't feel excited about finding someone to love.

When someone tells me they like me the romantic way, I don't feel excited or anxious, or putting it the cliché way, "feel the butterflies in my stomach." Sure, I have some sort of sex drive, but given the period I feel like that, I think it's pretty much more of a biological reflex/response than feeling aroused.

I have a hard time trying to understand romantic l love. So, on one hand, sure is refreshing seeing this kind of plot and terminologies being used in media; on the other hand, I'd be kinda disappointed if it turns out like the "ooops, I just didn't know I was in love with you before" kind of situation.

Best thing to do is to keep an eye on how the plot is going to develop. At the same time, I'm equally keeping an eye for any signs of this not being exactly what I was expecting of it.

Yaw totally relate 100%. After 7 chapters I have returned to the comments section and I did skip a few page stories of comments but I’m glad that the readers here who are aro and ace or grey aro ace are speaking up in here to show different representation. So yay to me for not getting triggered by uneducated people lol

BlueStallion44
joined Aug 29, 2016

Aromanticism and the asexual spectrum is a complex topic because it's, well, a spectrum. Some people have no romantic or sexual attraction to others whatsoever, but some of us are also capable of feeling romantic attraction. Some are completely repulsed by the idea of engaging in sexual contact, others are willing to perform it if an alosexual partner wishes to, others might still be capable of wanting to engage in such activities but only if a very deep bond is form (demisexual and gray ace). You're right in pointing out that attraction has several parts, such as sexual, romantic, and aesthetic, but generally asexual or aromantic people simply are not capable of feeling such forms of attraction.

If this does end up going the mutual romance route, I'd flag Yuriko as most likely demi myself.

Correct Caku, it I started a spectrum and I think she’s demiromantic and demisexual. I’d love to see quoiromantic in here or the “queer platonic” “super best friends” representation since I am quoiromantic.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Yep, doesn't look like this will end in a somber one-sided way. Demiromantic rep is still great tho!

New friend TOTALLY has the hots for her, too. Gonna end up being some drama down the line.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Huh, I didn't expect skipping forward to Matoi actually having moved to Tokyo.

annoying guy why are you here

Reminds me of the annoying guy in Shirobako. Worse, so far.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

A rival appeared, I don't know why I wasn't expecting that in this manga, but here it is, the easiest way to progress a couple stuck in their feelings.

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Accept the gay into your heart

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Oh great a wild jackass that can't take a hint and is miserable to work with has appeared.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Rio will either be the 3rd person for the love triangle, or be the supportive gay ally. I'm leaning more onto the first one.

Also that guy so far annoys me. Here's to hoping he gets better later.

last edited at Mar 15, 2022 11:28PM

Yurinium_replenished
joined Jan 27, 2021

Oh great a wild jackass that can't take a hint and is miserable to work with has appeared.

Welcome to the countryside, where tons of jobs are handed out due to nepotism. :/

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Welcome to the countryside, where tons of jobs are handed out due to nepotism. :/

And that's different from the city, is it?

joined Dec 13, 2020

Huh, I didn't expect skipping forward to Matoi actually having moved to Tokyo.

annoying guy why are you here

Time-tested way to stir conflict and make the plot advance.

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

And that's different from the city, is it?
I think it's more obvious in the countryside because the community is more insular and everyone knows each other. In the end, nepotism is not only unavoidable, due to the small population, but also far more open, accepted, and visible.

In the city, on the other hand, it's possibly just as common but kept under more of a tight lid since there isn't as much of a community, with there being a very large population and all

けやき坂46
Original
joined Jan 30, 2019

I honestly don't get romantic attraction either. Because there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is romantic? Like sexual arousal by someone's body is an indicator of sexual attraction. But what's romance? People often list things friends do together but the rest sound mildly sexual, like I don't think you could do those with someone you'd never find sexually attractive.

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

I honestly don't get romantic attraction either. Because there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is romantic? Like sexual arousal by someone's body is an indicator of sexual attraction. But what's romance? People often list things friends do together but the rest sound mildly sexual, like I don't think you could do those with someone you'd never find sexually attractive.

Sexual arousal isn't so much love as it is lust. I think looks can certainly be a hook that gets you interested in fucking a person but to love them is something that develops over time, as two people meet, hang out, bond, and embrace each other. Call me a romantic (no pun intended) but that's how I see things.

joined Dec 18, 2021

i don't like where this is going

joined Dec 17, 2021

"Let's invade people's personal space!" the chapter. Not that I mind, but it felt very awkward when Matoi's sister started touching Yuriko's hand.

Also, I can't get over the feeling Matoi's sister is going to end up with that annoying dude from the store.

Smirk
joined Oct 6, 2021

This series started off pretty nicely I thought, but it’s going downhill pretty quick if it keeps going like it did in this chapter…

1011820_10203495624854953_6088973233617870240_n
joined Aug 29, 2019

It went from 0 to 200 very quickly! Wuuutt?! I don't want to think what can come next to mend things, my head just hurts from all this....

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I actually like this development provided the author has the balls to stick to it. A relationship with Yuriko was impossible so getting together with Rio could be good for Matoi.

I could do without the obnoxious guy though.

last edited at Mar 18, 2022 9:21PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.