Forum › Swallow Tail discussion

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

"Do I look that bored to you?"
I hope Seungha realizes/learns that she looks like shes having a lot of fun at the expense of Chaeyeon.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

"Do I look that bored to you?"
I hope Seungha realizes/learns that she looks like shes having a lot of fun at the expense of Chaeyeon.

“Do I look that bored to you?” Actually means something like “Are you joking? I have a lot better things to do with my time than hang out and bother people I hate” in this context but with a lot more nuance and poetic wording. No idea what she said in either the Korean or Japanese but in the translation she’s pretty much saying something close to a denial (or precursor to a denial) of Chaeyeon’s accusation.

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

I hope Seungha won't end up with Chaeyeon in the actual state and that she will change along the way,
subtle manipulative bullies like her are one of the worst types of bullies imo.

They stick like glue and end up controlling everything in their partner's life in addition to making them miserable.

last edited at Mar 16, 2022 7:34PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I hope Seungha won't end up with Chaeyeon in the actual state and that she will change along the way,
subtle manipulative bullies like her are one of the worst types of bullies imo.

They stick like glue and end up controlling everything in their partner's life in addition to making them miserable.

You do realize that this is a fictional character, and the author can have Seungha behave in any way they like, correct?

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

I am a Seungha appreciator and I can’t wait for the distraught Seungha edition.

I01_rx-0-unicorn-gundam-mobile-suit-gundam-sci-fi-anime-mecha-galaxy-anime
joined May 26, 2020

reading this in portuguese, since there's 42 chapters there

joined Sep 27, 2021

HELOO SOMEONE POSTED SWALLOW ENGLISH VERSION ON FB CHAPTER 1 TO CHAPTER 35 IF IURE SWALLOW READERS PLEASE KINDLY VISIT HER PAGE

FB PAGE:GL Translator

last edited at May 1, 2022 8:41AM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

It is at 42 now. Hopefully more translation please? For whatever reason, the Japanese is more difficult to me than usual. I am tempted to subscribe, but I do not know if I can handle 35 chapters in Japanese. As for Korean.. no.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

It is at 42 now. Hopefully more translation please? For whatever reason, the Japanese is more difficult to me than usual. I am tempted to subscribe, but I do not know if I can handle 35 chapters in Japanese. As for Korean.. no.

I read the Facebook translation (linked above) because even with a few mistakes and chunky wording the series is so good.

You do need to buy the sex chapter yourself but it’s cheap and needs no translation.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

The expressions are so good

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Sep 15, 2014

Where and when did she think they hated each other - LAME

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To be fair, until this point we have gotten very little (almost nothing, in fact) in the way of direct evidence about what Chaeyeon is thinking and feeling inside. Mostly we've been shown her facial expressions and body language, which many readers here have interpreted rather extravagantly.

Seungha has obviously been flirting her brains out from the very beginning, while Chaeyeon has mostly responded by being silently flustered. We've finally been shown that Chaeyeon is dense as shit as she suddenly (barely) starts to realize what's been going on this whole time.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Ignoring for the moment that manga (and manhwa) character seem to have no emotional gradient between "liking" and "hating", so you unless you like someone, you must surely hate them, Seungha and Chaeyeon seem to operate on the fifth-grade level of relationship awareness, where the only way to express your interest in another person is to pick on them, and the only way to interpret someone picking on you is them declaring themselves your lifelong enemy.

That said, despite my frustrations with the leads' communication skills, I quite like this story.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Well someone better call an ambulance, I think Okju is going in shock.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

To be fair, until this point we have gotten very little (almost nothing, in fact) in the way of direct evidence about what Chaeyeon is thinking and feeling inside. Mostly we've been shown her facial expressions and body language, which many readers here have interpreted rather extravagantly.

Seungha has obviously been flirting her brains out from the very beginning, while Chaeyeon has mostly responded by being silently flustered. We've finally been shown that Chaeyeon is dense as shit as she suddenly (barely) starts to realize what's been going on this whole time.

"dense as shit" might not be the right way to say, Chaeyeon thought she was being bullied when they were young and framed everything Seungha did now in that same sense where she thinks Seungha is doing this get under her skin.

Like this conversation has been going on and on in the discussion of this story but Chaeyeon really did not know until this chapter that Seungha wasn't doing all of this out of a desire to irritate/hurt her. It's only now that Chaeyeon can even start seeing their interaction in a positive light now that she knows Seungha doesn't mean to come across as the bully that Chaeyeon has been seeing her as

last edited at May 28, 2022 2:34PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Ignoring for the moment that manga (and manhwa) character seem to have no emotional gradient between "liking" and "hating", so you unless you like someone, you must surely hate them, Seungha and Chaeyeon seem to operate on the fifth-grade level of relationship awareness, where the only way to express your interest in another person is to pick on them, and the only way to interpret someone picking on you is them declaring themselves your lifelong enemy.

That said, despite my frustrations with the leads' communication skills, I quite like this story.

The visual approach to storytelling has a big effect on the characters' apparent emotional responses--basically in any given scene we get two to three times more setup and reaction shots than in an average manga. (I personally don't see much real "picking on" from Seungha, just fairly aggressive flirting and attempts to get a response from the incredibly buttoned-up Chaeyeon.).

But because we keep getting these repeated silent shots of each person--even silent beats between two halves of a single utterance--everything seems much more emotionally fraught and portentous than if we were shown the same scene in a series of standard two-shots. So it's as if we're seeing everything in slow motion--it takes Chaeyeon 9 panels and almost 4 pages to realize that she forgot to ask Seungha for her autograph and to get her phone out--and all the while we're wondering what these people can possibly be thinking.

Screenshot%202022-05-05%20at%2020.52.05%20copy
joined Sep 23, 2021

The visual approach to storytelling has a big effect on the characters' apparent emotional responses--basically in any given scene we get two to three times more setup and reaction shots than in an average manga. (I personally don't see much real "picking on" from Seungha, just fairly aggressive flirting and attempts to get a response from the incredibly buttoned-up Chaeyeon.).

my impression was that chaeyeon did recognise the flirting in some way (even yuri protagonists are usually only that dense for a gag), but interpreted it as a continuation of the (perceived) picking on from when they were young, rather than sincere. this is why she got quite so flustered, and also why seungha's revelation has a profound effect on her, it completely recontextualises a lot of her behaviour up to this point.

e: also, good points about the format/pacing of the story, it's certainly interesting - the characters become quite enigmatic, the expressive style is well-suited since it gives us just enough to go on, i think

last edited at May 28, 2022 4:27PM

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Yeees, the yuri. It unfolds

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

my impression was that chaeyeon did recognise the flirting in some way (even yuri protagonists are usually only that dense for a gag), but interpreted it as a continuation of the (perceived) picking on from when they were young, rather than sincere. this is why she got quite so flustered, and also why seungha's revelation has a profound effect on her, it completely recontextualises a lot of her behaviour up to this point.

Yeah, I loved how you could see Chaeyeon going into standby mode as she clearly reviews all of their recent interactions, only with the knowledge that Seungha's (very aggressive) flirting was 100% sincere and not meant to make fun of her.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Seungha Sohn driving at night with sunglasses, is that dangerous? I want to say yes but I've never driven anything nor I have worn sunglasses at night.

Anyways, I'm completely on board with this relationship now that the misunderstanding it's sorta cleared (I don't think Chaeyeon fully understood what that "I like you" meant), and that I've finally seen some pretty cute faces from Seungha.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I like this one because it is closed to being minimalist. Let the drawing tell the story, no need for too many dialogues. Of course it is also a selfish reason for me: I do not know Korean. But yeah, I think the artist may as well go for the minimal dialogue, effectively making it a "silent movie".

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

An autograph?

I raise you one better...

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Me to the person I've loved my entire life and have finally reconnected with: "I want to have a good relationship with you"

Romantic

Those looks tho, the expressions in this are perfect. Immaculate. Smoldering with passion.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Couldn't care less for the story.
Can't stop looking at the pretty pictures.

joined Mar 20, 2012

reading this in portuguese, since there's 42 chapters there

It is well translated? I speak Spanish and I guess Google translating from Portuguese it's going to be a hell of a lot easier than from japonese/korean

Edit: I found the translation in spanish up to chapter 42 too.

last edited at May 29, 2022 7:56PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.