Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

let's see how much she scored

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

My Guess is that She scored higher than expected, the lean og this manga seems to be less that she is dum and more that her parents have failed in their parenting

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m a little sick of the repeated “scumbags” in this series; it comes off as a form of hype.

MC is lazy and hedonistic, but the worst thing she’s doing is lying to her parents and taking their money—like most children everywhere ever.

last edited at Dec 16, 2021 7:43AM

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Wow, but isnt 40 low in japanese exams? They can pass with low score?

joined Aug 29, 2019

To my knowledge, 40 is pretty much the lowest passing grade I've seen in any test, regardless of country. It was mostly 50% in college in Germany, but some tests were 40%, while others were even 60%. Since University education tries to have at least some global standard and comparability, I'd say 40% to pass does sometimes happen.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_scummy_gap_student_with_a_hard_life_calls_upon_a_lady_of_the_night_ch12#2

What's more, the principal is SATAN NO ASHI !!!

Now I want her to flunk the tests, just to see Maron go rescue her in Kekko Kamen guise. XP

joined Apr 8, 2021

taking their money—like most children everywhere ever.

Don't tell on yourself like this, yikes. Stealing your parents' money is not normal, especially as an adult already. Scummy as hell

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Don't tell on yourself like this, yikes. Stealing your parents' money is not normal, especially as an adult already. Scummy as hell

“Stealing”—LOL

Get serious—unless you’re some kind of saint, teenagers saying “Mom, I need money for X” and really spending it on Y is completely normal behavior.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I'd hardly call a fresh 18yo ronin an "adult already", especially in Japan where the age of majority is 20

joined Apr 8, 2021

I'd hardly call a fresh 18yo ronin an "adult already", especially in Japan where the age of majority is 20

Old enough to spend all the money that was meant for her education on prostitution
No matter what Blastaar tells you, don't do this at home, kids.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Old enough to spend all the money that was meant for her education on prostitution
No matter what Blastaar tells you, don't do this at home, kids.

LOL, the pious Dynasty forum lectures on proper social behavior are truly a treasure trove of saintly wisdom fit to rival The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon and The Analects of Confucius, a lamp unto the feet of future generations guiding them on the path of righteousness.

joined Apr 8, 2021

This doesn't even have anything to do with the normal stuff you rant about, not liking people moralising about fiction or whatever.
We're talking about a manga literally named after the scumbag character being a scumbag, and you're suggesting that this is not only completely fine but normal in real life. I have no problem with the manga because it says what it is on the tin, it's just weird that you're saying you steal from your parents IRL and have a clean conscience about it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This doesn't even have anything to do with the normal stuff you rant about, not liking people moralising about fiction or whatever.
We're talking about a manga literally named after the scumbag character being a scumbag, and you're suggesting that this is not only completely fine but normal in real life. I have no problem with the manga because it says what it is on the tin, it's just weird that you're saying you steal from your parents IRL and have a clean conscience about it.

Jesus, mindlessly literal much? The idea that I personally steal from my own parents and am advocating that others do so is precisely the kind of brain-dead (or rather contextless) moralizing I (so-called) “rant” about. If your assertion weren’t so ludicrous I’d be personally offended.

And yes, teenagers getting money from parents for one thing and spending it on something else is extremely common—it’s not morally admirable of course but it’s not a capital crime, either, and compared to other behaviors that count as “scummy” in manga generally it’s pretty low-stakes. (I suppose all those manga characters who just eat bread at lunch because they spent the lunch money given to them by their sainted parents on cool clothes or karaoke are doomed to burn in Hell for eternity.)

But I’m mainly talking about the rhetorical strategy of the series—the continued repetition of the adjective “scummy” (not to mention the trendy overly-long, overly descriptive title) feels like hype compared to the actual contents of the story.

last edited at Dec 17, 2021 8:32AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I believe one of the main jokes of the story is precisely that the mc sees herself as a "scumbag" (as shown in scenes where, after being harshly scolded by her strict parents, she mutters angrily to herself "Yes, yes, I'm a scumbag, I get it!") while in fact she's one of the most pure-hearted characters to ever grace a yuri manga. Her only real faults are a little bit of childlike selfishness and laziness; and we have already seen that, if it's for the sake of someone she loves, she will become selfless and hard-working without a moment's hesitation.

Honestly, I rather like how the chapter titles doggedly remind us that the mc is supposed to be a scumbag. I enjoy this type of tongue-in-cheek humor. It's like how F3, from episode 2 onwards, was full of comments and sidenotes constantly reminding us that Hiroe's mom and sis were not her real biological mother and sister no matter how different the actual facts in the story were.

In any case, as I mentioned in a previous post, if anyone wants to read about a real scumbag of a yuri heroine, I recommend you try this manga. Toudou-chan won't let you down, trust me on that one.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I believe one of the main jokes of the story is precisely that the mc sees herself as a "scumbag" (as shown in scenes where, after being harshly scolded by her strict parents, she mutters angrily to herself "Yes, yes, I'm a scumbag, I get it!") while in fact she's one of the most pure-hearted characters to ever grace a yuri manga. Her only real faults are a little bit of childlike selfishness and laziness; and we have already seen that, if it's for the sake of someone she loves, she will become selfless and hard-working without a moment's hesitation.

Agreed completely here.

Honestly, I rather like how the chapter titles doggedly remind us that the mc is supposed to be a scumbag. I enjoy this type of tongue-in-cheek humor.

You're probably right, and I guess I'm reacting as much to the imaginary-behavior police here failing to get that irony as I am to the notes in the text themselves.

In any case, as I mentioned in a previous post, if anyone wants to read about a real scumbag of a yuri heroine, I recommend you try this manga. Toudou-chan won't let you down, trust me on that one.

This is true, and that's not even close to the worst of the truly scummy characters on this site.

joined Apr 6, 2019

It's like how F3, from episode 2 onwards, was full of comments and sidenotes constantly reminding us that Hiroe's mom and sis were not her real biological mother and sister no matter how different the actual facts in the story were.

Haha, brings back memories. In the original oav Hiroe lived in a big house with her mother and her big sister, and both had sex with her even tho they were her biological family. But then some people, some sorta censorship board inside the company, must have decided that this was vile and intolerable... and ruled that all the future episodes in the series had to establish clearly that these three women were completely unrelated, and Hiroe called the other two oneesan and okaasan just to be affectionate, without any underlying meaning of blood links between them.

The creators making the anime complied with these new rules. So in the following sequels there were moments when Yayoi ('okaasan') would talk about how she gave birth to Hiroe and what a cute and lovely baby she was... or show other people her old albums full of pics of Hiroe growing up and Yayoi doing motherly things around her... and every time this happened, a small box would pop up on the screen with a message from the authors to the viewers: "Listen, we don't care how this looks like, okay? We already told you that that these women are NOT blood related! That's our story and we're sticking to it! Stop imagining weird incestuous stuff!" It was hysterical.

last edited at Dec 17, 2021 9:15PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

856600 posted:

Yeah...your three posts here had precisely nothing to do with the manga, and seemingly a lot to do with your personal vendetta against another poster. Don't use the forums for this in the future. It's a waste of time and surely a violation of rule 1. This is your one warning.

Rules may be reviewed here at any time. Thanks.

200069l%20(1)%20(1)
joined Dec 25, 2015

MC must've been pressured greatly by her parents and felt insecure about the comparisson to her sister's abilities that she's most likely just gave up and stopped trying because of this. With nothing to really prove herself otherwise, she probably feels self depricating enough to call herself a scumbag.

For me as a person, I was born poor and I value money and my parents, so I say she's a scumbag for lying and using their investment on her to pay for something useless like prostitution. If she paid for it by sticking to her part time job, I would have had more sympathy. At least she wasn't burning through other people's hard work like she earned this treat for herself.

Cnwdrjjvmail6tq
joined Jun 30, 2017

To my knowledge, 40 is pretty much the lowest passing grade I've seen in any test, regardless of country. It was mostly 50% in college in Germany, but some tests were 40%, while others were even 60%. Since University education tries to have at least some global standard and comparability, I'd say 40% to pass does sometimes happen.

In my country we need to hit 70% to be able to pass!

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

In my country we need to hit 70% to be able to pass!

This is true where I live as well. Anything lower than a 70% is considered a failing grade.

But man...this girl's parents are just too tough. Not just them - it feels like a huge majority of the adults in this series are just hard-nosed, "results-now-humanity-later" types. Even if the MC is scummy - and it looks like her scum is slowly getting scrubbed clean - I can't blame her when she has to deal with people like that on a daily basis. Especially her own parents!

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

Ch.12
The afterword is still as cute as ever.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

This girl makes me laugh hard. What a cute scumbag.

joined May 24, 2014

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

She's done

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

What kind of magical miracle misunderstanding is she gonna pull off now I wonder?

To reply you must either login or sign up.