Forum › Cast a Spell discussion

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

what page was it implied that kaori has boyfriend? i reread and still cant find the implication.

Yeah me either. I think maybe they were referring to the flashback where it was said "she stands next to him" when she was talking about her hanging out with "princesses" and "princes". But nowhere is it said that currently Kaoru is dating anyone.

But in page 13, she said "you get a boyfriend too, kaori" which literally implies that kaori has no boyfriend at that time and the fact that kaori cried after hearing that just shows for me that she was hurt by the fact that the emi is looking for a boyfriend(prince). This is why kaori was so desperate to confirmed that the dress was made for her because i think she cannot stomach the possibility that Emi made that dress for her own so she can find her prince and clearly Emi also feels that way to Kaori too.

You do realize that we are in agreement? I'm saying that we know Emi doesn't have a boyfriend because she's thinking about princes and going to a mixer. We assume Kaori doesn't have one, either, just by how things are written.

The line in question about "standing next to (him)" was a flashback to middle school where Emi was commenting about how Kaori seemed at home amongst all the princesses and princes after her image "upgrade" courtesy of the hairpins, and was especially bitter about the princes. The scene you are describing about "you get a boyfriend too" also happened in middle school, after Emi tried to spruce up her own looks as a reaction to Kaori's new popularity. That's why they show the room number in the scene before-- 5-3. They're in grade 5 there, middle school. And yes, Kaori is the one who got snitty with Emi when the subject of "get a bofyriend" came up during that same flashback period. So she started the rift, and both never bothered to try to fix it till now.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Where is the k i s s

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Yeah, Kaori definitely originally got upset at Emi because she didn't like the idea of her dating someone. One could argue that the reason she finally gets up the courage to confront Emi after what's apparently been years is because she overheard her talking about going to a mixer. Even back in middle school (and maybe as far back as in elementary school) Kaori had a crush on Emi and was aware of it. Emi is clearly obsessed with Kaori too, as evidenced by the dress, but clearly she'd never thought about dating her. She just wants to be by her side forever.

I find this is very common in yuri, where a character will take forever to realize that she likes someone romantically/sexually, though I wonder how common it is in real life. I think people tend to know very quickly if they're attracted to someone, even if it does take longer to realize you love them. I can't tell if this represents a common phenomenon or just an affectation of the genre.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

This is exactly the kind of stories that I hate...it hurts me but well, crap stories are everywhere
("If some boy take you..." Bullshit, she HAS a boyfriend and she LiKes mEn, then go with them...crap story)

It is sad that your prejudice blinds you to the extent that you can't read what's actually happening in this manga, and have to make something up instead. This comment hurts me.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

I feel like this could have used a few more pages to finally get them to understand one another. It feels a little unfinished. I see what the author was going for, and it's a cute story, but it feels like it could have used that last push for Emi's character at the end to realize how Kaori felt.

joined May 20, 2013

An alright start, then a nauseating amount of male validation, then a disappointing ending. Emi's interest in guys is shown to be only about a princess needing a prince, but it still makes Kaori's romantic feelings—what are behind her jealousy—remain one-sided by the end. There is no undeniable sign of Emi even considering a romantic relationship with Kaori (yet)...

Flowers-le-volume-sur-ete-screenshot
joined Nov 22, 2018

You do realize that we are in agreement?

yes, my comment is for the people who thinks this is subtext at best, i guess my comment looks like it was disagreeing with yours because of the "but" at the start,sorry about that.

last edited at Mar 14, 2019 4:37AM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I find this is very common in yuri, where a character will take forever to realize that she likes someone romantically/sexually, though I wonder how common it is in real life. I think people tend to know very quickly if they're attracted to someone, even if it does take longer to realize you love them. I can't tell if this represents a common phenomenon or just an affectation of the genre.

I'm going to regret getting so personal here, but whatever, yolo. By no means am I trying to speak for everybody, but think of it this way. For the most part we're raised from a young age to think we'll grow up and end up with someone of the opposite sex. Heterosexual is the majority, afterall, it's plastered everywhere you look. A young girl wouldn't necessarily realize she is attracted to another girl if she hasn't realized she's a lesbian yet. It's not really something you can put a value on. I personally realized yeeeears later that I had a crush on a friend when I was 13ish. Again, it's different for everyone, but at middle school age, it's not like you can tell the difference between attraction and just really wanting to be friends with someone of the same gender when the thought has never crossed your mind before. It uh, can take time.
It's funny, thinking back on it, I realized I wasn't into guys romantically (had zero interest in relationships), but the thought of liking girls wasn't really on my mind either. Even with getting awkward around some.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Yeah, Kaori definitely originally got upset at Emi because she didn't like the idea of her dating someone. One could argue that the reason she finally gets up the courage to confront Emi after what's apparently been years is because she overheard her talking about going to a mixer. Even back in middle school (and maybe as far back as in elementary school) Kaori had a crush on Emi and was aware of it. Emi is clearly obsessed with Kaori too, as evidenced by the dress, but clearly she'd never thought about dating her. She just wants to be by her side forever.

I dunno how common it is per se but it happened to me, so maybe that's why I'm a lot more tolerant of stories that use that kind of trope. I grew up in a very very oppressive household, and in an area where "gay" was Not A Thing To Be Discussed, so I had no idea what it even really meant till I got to high school. I never liked boys that way. Once I got to high school, I was confused why my female peers did but I didn't, but being attracted to women instead never occurred to me. I was also never one who had many (girl) friends, but those I did have I would be SUPER attached to. I was oblivious but many of those around me were not. Eventually I was teased and harassed. Cue incredible amounts of shame and repression for many, many years, even though my own actions and emotions basically SCREAMED at me "lol ur so gay" in bright neon letters.

I met my BFF 20 years ago, when I was 19. She was my first love. At the time, because of my ignorance (aided and abetted by denial), I still couldn't distinguish my feelings as being anything more than a deep attachment to an awesome person. Things got rough for a while, especially after she started seeing her boyfriend (now husband). Somehow our relationship survived, and I managed to STILL believe I was straight AF. I didn't self-accept and fully come to terms with it till I was in my early 30's though, when I started to meet people online who were LGTBQ and made me feel comfortable for the first time ever. I was finally able to really truly sit back and think "Okay, just, wtf. Why didn't I just figure out and accept all this sooner?".

So yeah, it can really happen. And I think probably more commonly than people think, especially in cultures that are still very rigid about gender roles and/or tend to be pretty homophobic.

I'm going to regret getting so personal here, but whatever, yolo.

And then here's me, spewing out my miserable life's story, hah

last edited at Mar 14, 2019 5:50AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

An alright start, then a nauseating amount of male validation, then a disappointing ending. Emi's interest in guys is shown to be only about a princess needing a prince, but it still makes Kaori's romantic feelings—what are behind her jealousy—remain one-sided by the end. There is no undeniable sign of Emi even considering a romantic relationship with Kaori (yet)...

They are not one-sided, just not entirely realized. Emi does not fully understand why she is jealous of Kaori or why she is so obsessed with being her "fairy godmother" but to the audience its pretty darn obvious. She could not possibly have this desire to have Kaori stay with her (to the point where she tries to be equal to her so she can stay in her reach), if she was just thinking of friendship. She would not be "losing" her if she got close to "princes" after all if they were just friends.

The only thing left is for her to realize that her wish to be special to Kaori is love. But that doesn't make it one-sided.

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

Yeah this is how I felt about their relationship too. They like each other but Emi just haven't realize that her like is in a romantic sort of way. Still a meh story for me tho, this story feels more like a subtext prequel to yuri than a full fledged yuri story. My opinion of this would probably improve if we get a sequel that establishes their relationship but I won't get my hopes up.

joined May 30, 2015

DIS SO CUTE

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Okay, so it does happen. Thanks for sharing. I can understand that it might be more common in regions or cultures where homosexuality is forbidden, especially if you grow up not even knowing it exists. And I totally get that there are aspects of ourselves that take time to recognize, or that we refuse to recognize.

A lot of yuri is like this. Probably the majority of published series have characters who take ages to recognize their own feelings. I guess the main reason for that is that high school settings are so prevalent in manga.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

A lot of yuri is like this. Probably the majority of published series have characters who take ages to recognize their own feelings. I guess the main reason for that is that high school settings are so prevalent in manga.

To be fair, that is a common romance trope in general. I guess you were more refering to sexuality.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

That's why high school is the worst, it takes you so long to realize fucking anything and when you do it's years later and whatever opportunity is gone.

"Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo, I'm gay for you yo, I've been gay for you this whole time."

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Well, I won't call it Subtext, but its also not gay enough. Seems...lacking.

It won prize or something? Meh.

Download_20181110_194445-1-1
joined Feb 12, 2016

Such a good start, but resolved way too quickly. Could've made my heart even achier, but hey, it's a happy ending.

(I take Imura Ei's works as example of good storyline)

I agree. That pacing seemed a lil too fast for me. Like princess-san over here pops up and starts talkin about exactly what the flashback was about? A bit rushed. Concept was still very cute tho

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Jeez what's with the disappointment in these comments. I liked it well enough. They're obviously gay for each other in this oneshot...

joined Feb 18, 2015

I think we can settle the question of whether this is yuri or not with one simple reference:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cast_a_spell#2

Bottom of the page above the title: "Special publication for the winner of the 18th Yuri Hime Lapis Lazuli Prize"

I don't think things that win prizes for Yuri magazines get to NOT be classified as yuri folks...

NewtMarshmallow
29216120_985796631584578_7844572378056777434_n
joined Nov 5, 2017

Gay

Cat
joined Jul 27, 2015

Such a good start, but resolved way too quickly. Could've made my heart even achier, but hey, it's a happy ending.

(I take Imura Ei's works as example of good storyline)

Uhm... yeah, that kinda too rushed. I feel like it could've been a bit longer after the train part... A bit more drama. Then I realize I suck at writting and every single other thing... so nvm. Still rushed tho.

Also the dress, god damn.

last edited at Mar 14, 2019 11:36AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It was a one-shot contest with a page limit peeps. There is no way not to rush this. Except of course by making it much simpler and cutting substance, but I believe this one won because it could actually convey a deeper message/interaction without rushing it even harder.

joined Dec 30, 2018

sequel pleaseeeee

B-d5g9xiuaigzmp-4812
joined Jun 2, 2017

Geez, those are some dramatic reactions. My biggest reaction was just "Man, that teacher sucks."

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That was somewhat crappy.

To reply you must either login or sign up.