Forum › Shimeji Simulation discussion

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Books-on-her-head nails it on page 8. Meaning is nice and all but.

AnWinner Uploader
Orchesc/a/ns
joined Mar 27, 2021

Sorry guys, some numbskull decided to upload it from my /a/ bootleg before I actually could upload it myself. But no worries, now you get to know about the poem. (and like 5 other sound effects)

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

I really like this chapter. Just like the others, it's weird, cute, and I feel like I get it but at the same time what the fuck am I reading? I especially love that stuff book-head girl says about music + poetry vs novels + books. Sums up why I love writing but can't stand reading. Also, small but still Yuri development!

last edited at Apr 30, 2021 2:05PM

droidsurlookingfor
R2d2
joined Mar 29, 2021

Good shit.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Notes on the notes (for anyone who's interested):

• The poem uses ゐ (wi) and ゑ (we), which are archaic. (I think I've seen the katakana version of the latter on a bottle of sake.) They're still used in Okinawa and some Japanese family names.
  • Couple of errors: Line three should be "Wa ka yo tare so" (as shown, "to" is repeated from line one). Fifth line should be "U wi no okuyama" while /mi/ should move to line seven: "Asaki yume mishi" instead of repeating /me/.
  • The fourth line contains an example from before the ん kana was added. "Naramu" in modern transliteration would be "naran". I like to use this when explaining the confusion between "senpai" and "sempai".

(Weird. * doesn't create a bullet unless I put a > in front of it.)

last edited at Jun 26, 2021 8:59PM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Didn't mention it the first time since credit page thing distracted me... but after the ringo-mango thing being just explained by an asterisk, I didn't expect to be hit with "eel glee"

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Literature is a vertebrate? I'll be damned.

joined Dec 7, 2020

I absolutely adore squid girl and her twin sister

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Reminds me of that one bit in Cat Soup.

21stcenturyschizoidman
Firepunchforme
joined May 23, 2021

No watersports tag? Wow......

Touhou%20i.2
joined May 16, 2021

Ngl but living in that world would be so cool with all the weird shit happening

.... Probably be more confused though....

joined Jul 28, 2020

So floating water managed to be weird even for everyone's standards, huh.
And it looks like sensei is back to making her doughnuts/tori, I'm glad.

"We won't die just because we don't eat"
What a line.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

What's the cause of all this though? Is it something bad?

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Everything has a cause... but I doubt we'll get to know what it is :P

Looking East
45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

What's the cause of all this though? Is it something bad?

This world appears to be some sort of glitchy purgatory or afterlife that is prone to occasionally unraveling and is affected by the thoughts and emotions of those who are present. Several of the characters that appear in this surreal world we know have died. We see Chi and Yu from Girl's Last Tour wandering around as background characters. The main character of this series is heavily implied to be that girl who committed suicide in the one shot released right before this series began. The last thing she says to her girlfriend before she says goodbye is she wants to be a shimeji mushroom so she won't feel lonely.

last edited at Jun 3, 2021 4:41PM

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

The main character of this series is heavily implied to be that girl who committed suicide in the one shot released right before this series began. The last thing she says to her girlfriend before she says goodbye is she wants to be a shimeji mushroom so she won't feel lonely.

I'm pretty sure that Shijima is actually a version of the other girl from the one-shot, considering she more closely resembles her and both have an inventor sister. The shimeji mushrooms themselves are probably what embody the dead girl. Regardless, I doubt the one-shot will be treated as 100% canon to the series, though elements of it will likely carry over in some form. Like, maybe the girl that Shijima remembered playing with when she was little could be a version of "Yocchan."

As for the cause of the glitches, it seems like Shijima's sister has stretched the fabric of their reality so much that it has nearly broken. The first noticeable glitches occurred back when Shijima and Majime returned from that dream world, right? The bottomless hole was also a sort of glitch caused by her inventions.

It's been a while since I read through the earlier chapters, but does it seem to anyone else like the panel layout is changing in a kind of 'glitchy' way?

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

The setting feels like some kind of purgatory or bardo to me as well. I just roll with stories like this until they decide to give me more information about what's going on (or not). Something about what the inventor sister says in this chapter makes me think of the contrast between causes (a strong tendency in Western philosophy) and conditions (a strong tendency in Eastern philosophy). One sees an endless chain of cause and effect, and the other sees a set of overlapping phenomena that appear, disappear, and recur while being sufficient unto themselves. This setting seems more defined by the latter than the former. Which makes sense to me because that's also the way that Girls' Last Tour felt as well.

I also don't think that there's meant to be a direct correspondence between any of the characters in this and the one-shot. I don't get the sense that narrative rigor is really this author's thing. But I'm content to just go with the flow and see where it goes. It helps that this is a beautiful comic, poetic and surreal, created by someone with enough confidence to let things develop at their own pace.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

The glitches are getting worse, but at least it seems Majime managed to kiss Shimeji in the dark.

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

This was nice

joined Dec 7, 2020

What a cute chapter with some development to boot. We got a kiss, hand holding, and they’re both getting comfortable with each other’s touch overall. Especially Shijima letting Majime straddle her, kiss her, and hold her hand. Really touching.

I wonder what these glitches will culminate in.

21stcenturyschizoidman
Firepunchforme
joined May 23, 2021

Majime stole Shimeji's first kiss. So God stole light,

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That was a kiss, right?

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I feel stupid not realizing that it probably was a kiss, at least I have the comments to figure it out for me

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The simulation broke for a second.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I told a friend that this wasn't too intense to read in Japanese because it was light on the puns and then this chapter comes along.

I like how this gets both cuter and more unsettling over time.

To reply you must either login or sign up.