Forum › There Are No Mermaids In This Town discussion

Another_random_anime_girl_render__by_bakachasity-d5qdads
joined Feb 8, 2011

The end baffled me.

joined May 28, 2013

wow.... maybe she's really a mermaid.. LOL

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

I had a feeling it was going to end like that.
Wouldn't be surprised if she was actually a mermaid xD

joined May 28, 2013

That was depressing :<

Tumblr_m6qk60jppk1r95frro1_500
joined May 28, 2013

I was enjoying the manga until the end which completely threw me...what actually happened?

Klz1234699998m
joined May 15, 2012

I was enjoying the manga until the end which completely threw me...what actually happened?

In some legends Marmaid cannot fall in love with humans because they will become foam ...

joined Apr 3, 2013

In some legends Marmaid cannot fall in love with humans because they will become foam ...

^Oh yeah.... nice note.

joined May 4, 2013

Wow, what sad myths :'{ I wish this had more to read between the lines though.

Also got something really nostalgic and melancholic atmosphere to it, like one of those antique literature-novels writen during postwar period.

last edited at May 28, 2013 5:31PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

To me there was nothing supernatural about the ending. Some families do move from place to place frequently, and children of families like that are often introverted, seeing no use in forming attachments, just like Yoshizaki in the story.

Imagesn79yw9ay
joined Jan 27, 2012

What a downer ending. :-/

Tomoko_kuroki__by_djvm4god-d53x3z6
joined Nov 9, 2012

that was so good. YP never disappoints :)

swordgirlzoro
joined Apr 21, 2013

Interesting...where did you hear that?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Interesting...where did you hear that?

The end of Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid involves her turning into sea foam because she refuses to kill the human she'd fallen in love with, even though doing so would have made her human.

Phyis Moderator
Midori-facepalm
Yuri Project
joined Dec 12, 2012

To me there was nothing supernatural about the ending. Some families do move from place to place frequently, and children of families like that are often introverted, seeing no use in forming attachments, just like Yoshizaki in the story.

I tend to agree that the mermaid thing is mostly symbolism but there is quite a lot of that going on. This subtle bit here for example: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/there_are_no_mermaids_in_this_town#11 (the book is about Denmark, Hans Christian Andersen, the author of the Little Mermaid, was danish).

But damned if I know why she disappeared without saying a word..

joined Oct 11, 2010

I liked the end, I thought it was good over all.

joined Oct 11, 2010

This reminded me of that one manga "A Lollipop or a Bullet" or something, you know, with the whole mermaid thing, so I expected a bitter end from the start. I was hoping it wouldn't be, though.

yeah it's almost always going to be that way unless it is a comedy. Mermaid = Little Mermaid = sad/bittersweet end.

Oh_stop_it_you
joined May 24, 2012

aww damn now I know any yuri romance manga that has a mermaid, gonna have a high chance of not ending well T_T

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

owww why god whyyy!? two pages threw my day into sadness :"(

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?! I demand my five minutes back!! It was cute and sweet until the end... and... and then -that-.

stumps off to read something better

Also: I hate the original ending for Little Mermaid... so sad and depressing. That incest-yuri version on here was much better. :)

last edited at May 29, 2013 5:29PM

joined Nov 11, 2010

Also: I hate the original ending for Little Mermaid... so sad and depressing. That incest-yuri version on here was much better. :)

Hah! True dat.

joined May 10, 2013

i demand a side story so that they can be together gether

joined May 17, 2011

I agree... Out of principle, I usually refuse to read anything with a sad ending ... and this think kind of obliterated the mood the rest of the story sets... A "depressing ending" or "Melancholic" tag would have been enough.

yep!

last edited at May 30, 2013 11:26PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

This reminds me of another Manga where the character said the little Mermaid a metaphor for a homosexual. The whole mermaid bone thing could just have been her way of telling the main character that she's gay. That would also explain why she gets worried when that other girl calls her ms. Mermaid.
If you look at it that way, then she might have kept to herself at the beginning because she was used to getting harassed. Similarly, she might have left because she was afraid that she had been outed and wanted to leave before she started getting bullied again.

Still, that's a bit of an unsatisfying explanation. This manga could easily have been longer and better for you the added details.

Wait, what?

last edited at May 31, 2013 12:08PM

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

I agree... Out of principle, I usually refuse to read anything with a sad ending ... and this think kind of obliterated the mood the rest of the story sets... A "depressing ending" or "Melancholic" tag would have been enough.

yep!

A "depressing ending" tag would spoil the whole thing.
(Oh, and I still like tears.)

joined Jun 2, 2013

NO! I refuse this ending! They must get married and have lotsa babies!

To reply you must either login or sign up.