Forum › Giniro no Genders discussion

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Subbed! This one looks interesting, and I really like the art. I have a feeling the story is going to go down the transgender yaoi route, which isn’t my ideal genre, but could be an interesting emotional rolllercoaster. Let’s ride!

The only way to have transgender yaoi is for it to feature trans men. I'd like to invite you to read the description of the yuri tag right here on this website.

Does NOT matter what the setting is, just needs to have a relationship involving two women (including transgender women).

Well then... The trap community will be very pleased to know that DS thinks they’re not gay. That’s an interesting definition...

Hey... Quick sidebar.
Don't call us "traps". It implies we do what we do to deliberately misinform or hurt other people.

I've never considered the definition of a "trap" to be someone who DELIBERATELY attempts to misinform someone, instead they're just someone who's very passable as a girl but is revealed to be a boy. The internet's definitions of trap seem to agree with me.

@AriaSencha was right in that a transgender male and girl relationship would be yuri.

Since when do crossdressers have to be gay??

Crossdressers don't have to be gay, the point I was trying to make in my original post was that I was anticipating this story going down the route where Gin is asked out a by a guy friend which eventually develops into a relationship (resulting in a het male falling in love with a trap male).

Cisgender men who crossdress and transgender women are not the same thing. Also, cisgender crossdressers are not necessarily gay.

@majere I kept reading "transgender" and processing "trap" in my head, but those are two very different types of people. I'll brace myself for some hatemail, and will inform admirers of traps that the internet still thinks they're gay :)

last edited at Nov 11, 2018 11:48PM

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Also, thank you Hachimitsu Scans for scanlating this manga! Here's hoping this is a backlogged manga that has lots of chapters waiting in the wings :)

EDIT: Oh snap, per their blog:

"It just recently started serialization in Young King earlier this year in June, and we've been waiting patiently for the first volume to be released to start it, which was in October, so there's only one volume right now. However, since Young King is a biweekly magazine, volumes for this series will come out pretty quickly, with the second volume already slated for release next February."

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 12:11AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I feel like MC is on serious denial about what he is, or is just oblivious, that's the take I'm getting from this atm

And short haired girl is here to show him the way, I'm quite interested to see where this will go

Didn't enjoy the near rape, but i knew it was coming so at least it wasn't super jarring

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It could go the Juukyuusai no Seifuku route and have the crossdresser be completely heterosexual.

But the introduction of the "handsome male friend", who gives an inferiority complex to the MC, points to some future confusion about sexuality and some game of seduction that's not going to end well.

Since the MC is a narcissist and enjoys attention, him ending up gay isn't totally out of the picture and probably in line with the usual way manga portrays crossdressers

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 5:53AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Sometimes a friend character is just a friend, but I agree, for these sort of crossdressing stories they usually "win" the romance. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's certain; there could be all sorts of shenanigans. For example, the short haired girl crossdressing as a guy and being the actual love interest ... after all "they all have secrets" according to the cover. ^^

Chenweihua
joined Apr 4, 2016

the title of the manga got me interested as seeing "no genders" is always fun lol, i also tend to enjoy hachimitsu scan's work (thank you for your efforts!!) as their translations seem to be some of the more friendly towards trans people while still maintaining an authenticity to the text with respect to the differences in gender politics between trans, non binary and gender non-conforming CAMAB (coercively assigned male at birth) people in the west and japan

i could also have done without the rape attempt but im glad it was foiled before we had to hear any slurs >.> if you are going to crossdress outside in a manga the number one rule should be Never Go To A Park jesus christ

Dream Ending: Transbian Paradise

Likely Ending: Bi/Pan Crossdresser

shout out to my trans sisters i will enjoy reading this with you and our almost inevitable disappointments :p

Dear MC, crack that egg! /jk

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The back cover shows more of the cast and except the spiky haired girl appearing in the first chapter (which doesn't seem to have fake boobs) they are all ambiguously gendered.

I sense coming something in line with Bokura no Hentai, with a handful of characters each with their own sexual/gender/psychological issues, to educate the readers into the various flavors of LGBT+ people (after all, they are sitting on giant LGBT letters).

I'm not too optimistic. It may end up as a catalog, like Shimanami Tasogare.

Edit: Google yields that Tomono Hiro is a hentai author. He may me trying something more serious this time, but meh...

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 6:05AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

EmilyJ posted:

the title of the manga got me interested as seeing "no genders" is always fun lol

Sorry to disappoint you, but in this case it doesn't mean "no". The title actually is (since again I see they didn't bother to tl it or at least I don't see it anywhere) "Silver Genders" or "Silver Colored Genders" (whatever the hell that means).

joined Jan 6, 2017

EmilyJ posted:

the title of the manga got me interested as seeing "no genders" is always fun lol

Sorry to disappoint you, but in this case it doesn't mean "no". The title actually is (since again I see they didn't bother to tl it or at least I don't see it anywhere) "Silver Genders" or "Silver Colored Genders" (whatever the hell that means).

Silver (Gin 銀) is the main characters name.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

EmilyJ posted:

Silver (Gin 銀) is the main characters name.

Also their handle.

Chenweihua
joined Apr 4, 2016

EmilyJ posted:

i was aware though ty for replying anyway, i was jusr making bad jokes :)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Malibu posted:

I've never considered the definition of a "trap" to be someone who DELIBERATELY attempts to misinform someone, instead they're just someone who's very passable as a girl but is revealed to be a boy. The internet's definitions of trap seem to agree with me.

On a technical level the term "trap" means a crossdressing man pretending to be a girl, sure. But surely you can see how that has been perverted into a slur against transgender women, right?

@AriaSencha was right in that a transgender male and girl relationship would be yuri.

A transgender male and a woman would be a het relationship. A transgender woman and a woman would be yuri.

Nevri posted:

Google translate gives "gigantic rakes" which is ridiculous so I vote we go with that.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Google translate gives "gigantic rakes" which is ridiculous so I vote we go with that.

I think you wrote it wrong. If you put 銀色のジェンダー (gin'iro no jendaa) you get "Silver gender"

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

DY4Y posted:

I think you wrote it wrong. If you put 銀色のジェンダー (gin'iro no jendaa) you get "Silver gender"

Probably should've been clearer about that actually. I meant translating it directly from what's written on the site which tends to be a lot less accurate.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

EmilyJ posted:

EmilyJ posted:

i was aware though ty for replying anyway, i was jusr making bad jokes :)

Np. Always ready to ruin the joke 8D

last edited at Nov 12, 2018 5:34PM

joined Jan 10, 2017

Going by manga and anime Japan is a den of opportunistic rapists.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

badnat posted:

Which is funny, since they have the lowest crime rate.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

^ they do have a very high rate of unreported sex crimes, though. I don't know whether it's enough to turn those statistics completely around, but it's something (also make the "let's take pictures and she won't say anything" a bit more plausible).

What's "interesting" here is that apparently they targeted her specifically; basically by having people report spotting social media "stars" and where they are and then chasing them down? I wonder whether that's a real thing ...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

^ they do have a very high rate of unreported sex crimes, though. I don't know whether it's enough to turn those statistics completely around, but it's something (also make the "let's take pictures and she won't say anything" a bit more plausible).

What's "interesting" here is that apparently they targeted her specifically; basically by having people report spotting social media "stars" and where they are and then chasing them down? I wonder whether that's a real thing ...

I think "she" was supposed to be a lookalike of some idol (or other).

He states that he's wearing the same dress as whatshername and so people signaled her location on social media.

As for sex crimes, I suspect there are a lot more than actually reported (especially considering the asian culture of "shame"), but on the other hand, it seems there are less "petty" crimes. As in, you can leave your bike without a lock at the train station and you will find it in the evening. But maybe it's just a legend :)

last edited at Nov 13, 2018 8:52AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pyoro posted:

Nya-chan posted:

As for sex crimes, I suspect there are a lot more than actually reported (especially considering the asian culture of "shame"), but on the other hand, it seems there are less "petty" crimes. As in, you can leave your bike without a lock at the train station and you will find it in the evening. But maybe it's just a legend :)

Japan is very safe country. Our professor at university once told us, that you can leave your laptop and there is very high chance it will be still there, when you come back for it. Or that you can go read book at park in the evening and most likely nothing will happen to you. That is why the setting of "was alone at park and got assaulted" is so common in mangas is very funny. Not that it never happens, but going by mangas you would think it happens all the time. I'm willing to agree that not all sexual assaults are reported due to blackmail/shame/purity/all of the above, but I doubt it would be high enough number to suddenly turn Japan into country of rapists. The frequency with which mangas portray rape is still way too unrealistic, but I guess you have to make drama somehow.

last edited at Nov 13, 2018 5:46PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Well. That's a comment section. ...

I'm cautiously optimistic. This seems like it might be going for a more serious tone the what you see in a lot of the cross dressing Mangas on this site. One of the things that originally drew me to Yuri was the strong social stigma against himosexual relationships and the troubles a story's protagonists would have to overcome. Seeing that focus expanded to other non-standard catagories would be nice.

I'm not entirely sure where [i]this[/i] manga intends to go, but there does seem to be a good deal of attention paid to small details. One of the things that struck me was how the main character sits, with their legs open. Whatever their gender might be, they weren't raised as a women and don't have much experience going out as one, so they still have a lot of male body language when it comes to less performative(?) behaviors. It'll be interesting to see if anything gets made of that.

Tumblr_inline_mnt4g3zxm31qz4rgp
joined Jul 23, 2017

Sexual assault in Japan is a whole can of worms. High frequency, low report rates, and no one wants to be the single snitch. It's considered shameful to be sexually active (hence the whole purity obsession) and they haven't quite differentiated between consensual sex and rape. It's not like it happens on every corner of every street, but it happens much more often than people are willing to say it is.

last edited at Nov 13, 2018 11:41PM

Sexual assault in Japan is a whole can of worms. High frequency, low report rates, and no one wants to be the single snitch. It's considered shameful to be sexually active (hence the whole purity obsession) and they haven't quite differentiated between consensual sex and rape. It's not like it happens on every corner of every street, but it happens much more often than people are willing to say it is.

https://goboiano.com/bbc-reporter-claims-anime-and-manga-promotes-pedophilia/

24-1
joined Sep 21, 2011

Not sure where to mention it, but there is a mistake in the links this series links from chapter 2 to nowhere, and then with chapter three it links right back to chapter two...

last edited at Nov 28, 2018 1:08AM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

thumbs down

bruh why?

To reply you must either login or sign up.