Forum › Giniro no Genders discussion

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Wasn't trying to be a Spoon and stir things. I was just voicing how I personally was displeased and my reason why. I might feel different if it had been handled differently by the author, but as it is right now, to ME, it just feels like the author is trying to be an edgy social justice warrior and the end result is high-school edglelord cringe.

jesus christ this is not something i can relate to

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

“They’re all ♡ friends ♡ and sexual ♡ minorities”
Lol yeah right.

Haha. The Asa-Gin interaction in these chapters makes the "all ♡ friends ♡" bit kind of hard to sell.

Asa is still my favorite character. She really went all-out with the villainous act this time... but, somehow, it only made even more obvious that it's just a show. You know, I really can't figure what it is that she wants from Sumon. Why would a lesbian care so much about some hunky stud's love life? Why is she so adamant about making him date Gin? I wish Gin had the pluck to demand an explanation.

Next chapter we'll find about her past, it would seem. (Color me surprised: I hadn't pegged her for someone with a Marimite background! lol)

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Lol yeah right.

Haha. The Asa-Gin interaction in these chapters makes the "all ♡ friends ♡" bit kind of hard to sell.

Asa is still my favorite character. She really went all-out with the villainous act this time... but, somehow, it only made even more obvious that it's just a show. You know, I really can't figure what it is that she wants from Sumon. Why would a lesbian care so much about some hunky stud's love life? Why is she so adamant about making him date Gin? I wish Gin had the pluck to demand an explanation.

Next chapter we'll find about her past, it would seem. (Color me surprised: I hadn't pegged her for someone with a Marimite background! lol)

I think it's just a petty love triangle because she was kissing the other girl who liked gin which puts me off at this point.

last edited at Apr 1, 2019 12:44AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Jesus fucking Christ that chapter was outright awful

I keep reading this in the hope things get better for gin, but that blackmail is so disgusting and hard to read

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nene posted:

She really went all-out with the villainous act this time... but, somehow, it only made even more obvious that it's just a show.

How exactly? And even if she's bluffing, for all intents and purposes she's still blackmailing Gin, because he does exactly what she says and has no guts to check if she is bluffing (and I don't blame him for that). Even if she has some good reason to do it, no matter what it is, it doesn't justify it in any way, shape, or form.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Imho she's a protagonist, not an antagonist. I think her character follows the template of: "The character who does bad things, but it's all because bad things happened to her before, so the other characters will understand and forgive." It's a very common role in Japanese manga, and, judging by the hints and clues so far, that's how Asa looks to me.

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

Lol yeah right.

I think it's just a petty love triangle because she was kissing the other girl who liked gin which puts me off at this point.

This is a good take, judging by Ogura's reaction and what we've seen with Asa this was probably targeted at Ogura more than Sumon.

That said we still don't know why, assuming she's trying to prevent Ogura from going for Sumon it could be for a variety of reasons. It could be possessiveness or petty revenge, but it could also be due to something we don't know about Sumon yet.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nene posted:

"The character who does bad things, but it's all because bad things happened to her before, so the other characters will understand and forgive."

Lol ok. There's limit to it though. I really doubt anyone would forgive blackmailing and ruining their life, which she does to Gin.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Nene posted:

"The character who does bad things, but it's all because bad things happened to her before, so the other characters will understand and forgive."

Lol ok. There's limit to it though. I really doubt anyone would forgive blackmailing and ruining their life, which she does to Gin.

Yeah. There's a difference between "damaged and acting out" and "screwed up and a complete sociopath". lol

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

Yeah. There's a difference between "damaged and acting out" and "screwed up and a complete sociopath". lol

Yea, especially since people suggested she might be the one who tipped rapists off in the first place, most likely to gain the blackmailing material, so if that's true, nothing can redeem her.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

We shall see. I'm not getting that "unredeemable" vibe from the character -- especially from the way Gin acts and reacts around her. Time will tell where the story's going.

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

As for trans people being mentally ill it is simple fact at this point since gender dysphoria is listed in the DSM 5 aka the book that contains the world's consensus on the diagnostic criteria for mental illness. It is literally the book that defines what is and is not a mental illness.

The people who edited the latest edition of the DSM literally said they would not have included an entry for gender dysphoria except that if they hadn’t it would be even easier than it already is to deny coverage/care to trans folks.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ignoring everything else, I agree with Looking East, that people's perception of mental illness is what should change first. Too many people still think of it as simply being "sick in the head" and refuse to go to psychologist, psychiatrist or attend any therapy in general to avoid being branded as crazy, even when they clearly need it. It's time people understand that there are all kind of disorders and plenty of people live just fine with them. For example, actual depression (not the, "I feel sad" kind) is considered mental illness, yet nobody is afraid of calling themselves depressed.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Ignoring everything else, I agree with Looking East, that people's perception of mental illness is what should change first. Too many people still think of it as simply being "sick in the head" and refuse to go to psychologist, psychiatrist or attend any therapy in general to avoid being branded as crazy, even when they clearly need it. It's time people understand that there are all kind of disorders and plenty of people live just fine with them. For example, actual depression (not the, "I feel sad" kind) is considered mental illness, yet nobody is afraid of calling themselves depressed.

True, but saying being trans isn't a mental illness isn't a slight against mentally ill ppl. In fact I'd argue the opposite, that erroneously labeling certain groups mentally ill, actually harms ppl with legitimate illnesses.

joined May 4, 2013

The people who edited the latest edition of the DSM literally said they would not have included an entry for gender dysphoria except that if they hadn’t it would be even easier than it already is to deny coverage/care to trans folks.

It may be classified as a mental illness due to it having debilitating long-term effects on the psyche when one is suffering from dysphoria such as not functioning in day-to-day life. It's transphobes that use the label to try and justify the argument that the effected person is incapable of making informed decisions about their own wellbeing. The same kinda people are of the conviction that the "mental illness" is of contagious nature, basically saying that being trans is more of a threat to everyone around them than to the psyche of the effected person (due to possible dysphoria)

Hint: That's not how mental illnesses work.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

True, but saying being trans isn't a mental illness isn't a slight against mentally ill ppl. In fact I'd argue the opposite, that erroneously labeling certain groups mentally ill, actually harms ppl with legitimate illnesses.

No, saying being trans isn't a mental illness isn't a slight against the mentally ill.

The slight is inherent in the idea that by labeling the people suffering from gender dysphoria as mental ill it serves as a "means to belittle or invalidate their experience." In other words the reason it's insulting to the mentally ill is that it insinuates that calling somebody mentally ill is an insult that serves to marginalizes their experiences, thoughts and value as a person.

A good analogy would be how assholes will commonly use the word gay in a derogatory or insulting manner. I think we have all seen people using the word gay in slang as a synonym for saying something sucks or just as a generic insult to call somebody. Basically, inherent in the fact people are using the word gay as a means to insult and marginalize others is itself an insult to actual gay people because it implies that being gay is some how a bad or shameful thing that is to be looked down upon.

Just because people with gender dysphoria are categorized by the medical community as mentally ill, it should not be seen as some sort of stigma or bad thing. It means that the stress and emotional challenges they experience due to their body not matching the gender they identify with can be addressed, treated and covered under insurance. It's actually a good thing.

last edited at Apr 3, 2019 7:39AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think a huge problem here is you seem to be blaming trans people for objecting to a weaponized characterization of mental illness, rather than the people who are literally, and intentionally, misusing and devaluing the term.

To use your analogy with being called gay, using it (and faggot and similar terms) as an insult, generic or not, is indeed marginalizaing toward gay people. But if someone who isn't gay objects to being called that, they're not the ones at fault. It's the ones using gay as a synonym for something bad. Similarly, trans people being called mentally ill by people who are using the term to devalue them and invalidate their experiences are not at fault when they object.

Put the blame on the people who are actively placing stigma on mental illness by using it as a synonym for "what you feel isn't real and you're not valid", where it belongs.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

KawaiiSuika posted:

Good thing then I wasn't suggesting either of those things. Whatever you're diagnosed as mentally ill or not should be irrelevant to how other treats you.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

RuneHex posted:

that was straight up blackmail, threatening to ruin his whole reputation and life. holy moly

I'm not sure if people forgot about it or didn't realize it, but she already blackmailed him in chapter 3. In fact from the very beginning entire premise was based on blackmail. So I don't understand why people still took it seriously and why only now think it got shitty "because Asa is a dick". She was always a dick.

Well, I said it felt "meh" so far since she blackmailed him but didn't actually commit to doing something. In this chapter, I wasn't expecting her to go full throttle to ACTUALLY commit and go ham on him directly. I just felt like it wasn't really serious since she sounded like she was bluffing all the time.

I'm also confused as to why the only emotion Gin feels is 'embarrassment' and not 'utter and complete depression/anger/guilt/etc. about being blackmailed into doing unethical and ridiculous things? or why does he feel like it's a loss that he's losing friends he made through a lie in the first place?

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

This manga pretends to care about the characters but honestly these characters are just shallow archetypal fantasies of LGBT tropes that the author only uses to propel the plot or create WTF moments. Seiji is the closeted gay trope taken to the extreme; he is so closeted and horny that he masturbates next to his crush. Ogura is the promiscuous bisexual woman; i.e. she forces Gin to grope her. Gin plays the trope of the helpless transwoman ( it is not confirmed Gin is trans, I know. I am only saying that they are playing this trope) who is thrown into danger just so someone else can save them or otherwise be helpless and humiliated. That is why the only feeling Gin feels after being blackmailed is embarrassment, and not anger, hatred, regret, etc... And why Gin still hangs out with Asa. Because the author only uses these characters to advance the plot. This manga should be labeled an absurdist comedy honestly.

It shares the same issue that Thirteen Reasons Why (TV) has; it over-glorifies and fetishizes delicate topics and treats these topics with the same care and forethought a dog has with a chew toy. It is only written for entertainment and nothing else, which is perfectly fine for other topics like fantasy or science fiction. But when you're writing about sensitive and delicate topics, you have to be careful about how you write them as they can influence the public's perception of these issues. None of these characters really have any other characteristics that define them other than their sexuality and related tropes. I will not be surprised if Asa's flashback only caricatures her, instead of redeeming her or humanizing her. (This isn't a reply to anyone; I just wanted to vent my thoughts after thinking about this manga. Sorry for the long post :P I kept on reading this manga because I hoped it would become better, but it has kept on disappointing me.)

last edited at Apr 5, 2019 1:21AM

joined Oct 16, 2016

Oh great the "lesbian" backstory is that she was basically Class S candidate, and I can bet 100$ we will soon learn something bad happened to her where some guys either raped/abused or forced themselves on her. And that's why she's so mean to main male protagonist who loves to crossdress. Other reason is clear, she saw the girl she likes to be into his crossdressing form and also since the other girl is clearly bi she is afraid that when she will discover the "girl" she starts to like is just feminine guy so good from both worlds she will go for him. She just wants to get rid of love rival and pair him up with someone else.
And of course the "lesbian" who I bet soon will discover is not fully a lesbian due to power of male MC penis seeing the relationship chart where only guy is allowed to be gay while she is just LGBT type of character, it's such a sad writing of someone meaning the author who has zero knowledge about the issues than something he found on internet or from other manga at best.

m_nguyen_chau
120x120px-ls-38203a65_avatar65018_8
joined Oct 27, 2011

I dont think the author did ever meet someone from LGBT. This is a mixed of clichee from everywhere, why pretending to be authentic or realistic. Interactions between characters are also overpainted with cheap freudian dramas. I am uterly dissapointed for how those people suppose to representing LGBT issues. So dissapointed !

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 3:40AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

malibus88 posted:

it's such a sad writing of someone meaning the author who has zero knowledge about the issues than something he found on internet or from other manga at best.

Or because LGBT people are pitiable and sad and full of drama, they'll make for perfect protagonists to write a interesting story about people with issues and angst. You know. Because there's nothing more to them outside of having drama over their identity. LGBT people are not actually people after all.

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 8:35AM

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

When she heard the music in the streets I expected some kind of classical instrument because of the way it showed the notes, but a buncha dudes squatting in an alley listening to symphony is a lil far fetched

To reply you must either login or sign up.