Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

Just to play the Devil's Advocate (I know better than to expect psychological realism from Chinese Cartoons by default) it's not necessarily that Kurokawa suddenly overcame her issues with the magical power of Teen Drama. Rather, Miki and Izumi got her out of her dark hole of solipsistic self-loathing enough for her to realise just how dirty she done did Nanaki and focus on doing something about that instead.

The root of the problem is still there but she's no longer wallowing in her issues blind to her surroundings, and it's probably started dawning on her she has real problems that are also hurting other people she cares about. Which would of course be the first step towards getting better.

Well, it's up to the next chapters to clarify whether we're actually getting some proper depth here or if le DrAmAtIc ClImAx and ~Twue✿Wuv~ are magical panaceas to a lifetime of pathological self-image issues...

last edited at Jun 9, 2021 3:23PM

6f26d68ee1a36aae713ea761c5e939e5
joined Jul 18, 2017

Izumi deserves a medal
When her arc was happening I thought she was gonna be messed up but turns out she's the most normal lmao

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

TOO EASY.

WAY TOO EASY.

Bah.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

TOO EASY.

WAY TOO EASY.

Bah.

I mean, on one hand, yes, but on the other hand, didn't we all expect Fujishiro to talk her down immediately after the initial rejection? In that light, we've actually gotten far more than we thought we'd get.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Everything else aside, I love the super jealous best friend carrying an ill-concealed torch who refuses to get over it and just stays a massive fucking bitch throughout the whole story. Miki here, Kyou in Philia to Eros… there are others I'm forgetting. Maybe because I lack the courage to stay in my feelings so confrontationally. Miki isn't interested with being friends with Kurokawa – she's not particularly interested in being friends with the person Nanaki has become, even – she's just pissed off and distraught and super messy.

This story has turned into a collection of loosely-linked melodrama set pieces, but it's still pretty entertaining to read and I still like the art.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I know this chapter is supposed to be serious and dramatic, but I can't help myself not to giggle like a school girl when Miki just randomly came out of nowhere and blurt out her speech. Like wtf girl.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

+1. But we just need to read the manga (and many mangas in general) with suspension of disbelief. Maybe just forget about the past 2-3 chapters and focus on the ending.
But yeah if that was real life their relationship would end up really toxic, especially if they had strong feelings for each other.

Although it won't go this route, it could follow the path of The Feelings We All Must Endure and realistically depict how fucked up and desperate everybody is while still giving some of them them what they want. Having Fujishiro realize that the object of her affections is a mentally ill yandere and start a relationship with her anyway because she wants it so bad, and having Kurokawa agree to enter a relationship with somebody even with her coconut all jumbled up, with Miki shooting everybody black looks in the background, would really piss off about half the commenters here. I, at least, would be entertained.

I really violently disliked The Feelings We All Must Endure the first time I read it, but it's since become an all-time favorite. It's a great example of how stylized, heightened depiction of emotions in melodrama can wrap around into capturing very real feelings and situations in a raw and direct way.

last edited at Jun 9, 2021 9:07PM

Img_20190107_054630
joined Jan 26, 2019

TOO EASY.

WAY TOO EASY.

Bah.

I mean, on one hand, yes, but on the other hand, didn't we all expect Fujishiro to talk her down immediately after the initial rejection? In that light, we've actually gotten far more than we thought we'd get.

But it's precisely because it's been dragged for so long that the resolution feel unsatisfying.

20265099_331371470609667_965795103732342855_n
joined May 28, 2017

the moment i see izumi'smile, i knew she still have kind of feeling for fujishiro

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Just to play the Devil's Advocate (I know better than to expect psychological realism from Chinese Cartoons by default) it's not necessarily that Kurokawa suddenly overcame her issues with the magical power of Teen Drama. Rather, Miki and Izumi got her out of her dark hole of solipsistic self-loathing enough for her to realise just how dirty she done did Nanaki and focus on doing something about that instead.

The root of the problem is still there but she's no longer wallowing in her issues blind to her surroundings, and it's probably started dawning on her she has real problems that are also hurting other people she cares about. Which would of course be the first step towards getting better.

I think this is probably the best way of stating it.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Having Fujishiro realize that the object of her affections is a mentally ill yandere and start a relationship with her anyway because she wants it so bad, and having Kurokawa agree to enter a relationship with somebody even with her coconut all jumbled up, with Miki shooting everybody black looks in the background, would really piss off about half the commenters here. I, at least, would be entertained.

Yeah I agree most people here would be pissed, but that's because Kurojawa wasn't portrayed as this person who would do harm to Nanaki for the very majority of the story. There were a couple of mentions of her inferiority complex, but this still didn't mean she would ever act act out like that.
Other mangas make it clear from the beginning what they're about. This one didn't sell itself as angst/depression but more like slice of life and drama, so it just leaves a sore taste to the reader and being disappointed at Kurokawa.
Plus it seems like an attempt from the author to extend the story a bit more because they have ran out of ideas.

Kurokawa was this person readers were rooting for, and then does a 180 degree turn.

last edited at Jun 10, 2021 4:01AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Uh, no, I'm pretty sure Kuro's issues have been rearing their ugly head quite frequently throughout the series - she's just bottled it all in like it's well established she's been doing all her life. (Tolerably certain her venting at the understandably startled Izumi is the first instance ever of her actually saying them out loud to anybody as far as we're told.) Nanaki concretely and unequivocally confessing was simply the point where things came to a head and the lid blew off.

Say what you will about the quality of the writing on the whole but anyone who's shocked, shocked by Kuro's sudden but inevitable meltdown really hasn't been paying attention. It's more or less the emotional crisis the series has been building towards from the get go.

cyberninjasio
joined Jan 5, 2020

Am I the only one who got the feeling that it isn’t a love confession she’s heading to do thanks to the call to Izumi’s confesson to Nanaki? Seeing as Nanaki’s the one Kurokawa told to face Izumi “head on” about her feelings not being romantic, but still wanting them to be friends.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

Uh, no, I'm pretty sure Kuro's issues have been rearing their ugly head quite frequently throughout the series - she's just bottled it all in like it's well established she's been doing all her life. (Tolerably certain her venting at the understandably startled Izumi is the first instance ever of her actually saying them out loud to anybody as far as we're told.) Nanaki concretely and unequivocally confessing was simply the point where things came to a head and the lid blew off.

Say what you will about the quality of the writing on the whole but anyone who's shocked, shocked by Kuro's sudden but inevitable meltdown really hasn't been paying attention. It's more or less the emotional crisis the series has been building towards from the get go.

seconded. in a way i feel bad for her, because no one other than her older friend was really helping, especially nanaki. this whole time nanaki has been confirming kuro's low self worth by the fact that nanaki keeps having her change herself, showing repeatedly nothing about her was good enough. i said from the start she looked JUST FINE the way she was, but here's her unacknowledged crush basically saying NOW that your eye brows are fixed you're cute. NOW that you're in these clothes i picked you're cute. i really don't think any of that would have helped with self worth issues, and instead compound them. even if she felt happy about it happening, you still can't help feel like, i really suck i couldn't do any of this myself or my styles suck or something along those lines.

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

I know everyone want the drama to end but how can self-hatred resolved that easily. It feel so not earned. I feel like this was three chapters ram into one. Waste of all the build-up.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

hi hi

I created an account just to say this, but: Have you ever heard people shouting at the top of their lungs in a stairwell? I have. There aren't even any fire doors separating the stairwell from the hallways. Half the building now knows intimate details about their relationships.

(Of course, there are other things I could say too, but they've already been said.)

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

hi hi

I created an account just to say this, but: Have you ever heard people shouting at the top of their lungs in a stairwell? I have. There aren't even any fire doors separating the stairwell from the hallways. Half the building now knows intimate details about their relationships.

(Of course, there are other things I could say too, but they've already been said.)

Do I get a virus if I respond to this?

I think it's pretty common knowledge that you shouldn't yell inside a building. In fact, due to echo from the walls and the very close distance between them, the sound will probably travel into even higher levels than it would if you were simply yelling outdoors.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I'm not sure I understand the reference, but I don't think so...

joined Dec 9, 2014

I'm not sure I understand the reference, but I don't think so...

Because there often are bots in this site that write similar comments in the forums. I was joking :P

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

useless

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

useless

I mean... it's in the title... XD

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Damn Izumi was doing some top manipulative bullshit, like damn girl we get it you love the chick and don't want her to fall in love with anybody else, but fuuuuuck.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Just read chapter 32, and i am currently on violence mode.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

Estoy asi de cerca de pegarle a la pared y convertirme en una Kyle.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

AHHHHHHHHHHHHG CONCHETUMARE AHHHHHHHHHHHHBGYHGGGFIIDJ

To reply you must either login or sign up.